New Fusion ads ...

igor

Well these might have been posted before, but I am not sure..

in line with the Ford Challenge theme, Ford released 4 new 30 second commercials that are well in line with the new Expedition and F150 commercials - just sufficiently funny to make you notice them ..

Commercials:

FIZZ:

GLUED:

TINGLE:

SHARP:

What do you all think?

As I posted elsewhere - Mulally is headhunting outside FoMoCo for a global Marketing Czar, one of the tasks on the plate for this new position is a global alignment of marketing resources, and creations of semi-coherent brand image - a lot of European ad firms have already shown signs of getting ready for bids for this campaign - my guess is JWT is no different - they need to make sure they will still have the FLM accounts after the new Marketing czar takes its seat.

PS: In FIZZ please not that the "flat" soda came out of a red Coke bottle, while the "fizz"-ly soda came out of a blue Pepsi bottle ... nice toush I guess.

Igor

Edited by igor

They're okay..... direct.... somewhat funny (in an infomercial sort of way....).

It would probably generate some discussion, maybe enough for the car to stick in someone's mind.

"I was going to choose between Camry or Accord, maybe I should check out the Fusion....."

We can hope.

I like them but I think the ones with actually normal people talking about the Fusion was a lot better. It just seemed more "real"

These are nice, a little amusing and entertaining but the one that I mentioned above I think works better on getting real customers into the show room. But all in all 100 miles ahead of their terrible marketing that ford has put out the past 5 years.

I like them but I think the ones with actually normal people talking about the Fusion was a lot better. It just seemed more "real"

The problem is commercials like that have a short shelf life.

They work very well, but the message gets tinny real quick.

These commercials are certainly the most abstract car commercials I've seen in a long time. They're also the first car commercials I've seen that break the 4th wall. A minor triumph for JWT, and one that should play well with Gen X/Y buyers.

Good match of commercial to target audience, I'd say.

The problem is commercials like that have a short shelf life.

They work very well, but the message gets tinny real quick.

These commercials are certainly the most abstract car commercials I've seen in a long time. They're also the first car commercials I've seen that break the 4th wall. A minor triumph for JWT, and one that should play well with Gen X/Y buyers.

Good match of commercial to target audience, I'd say.

enlighten us .. what is the 4th wall?

Igor

Oh you have no idea how pleased I am that you asked.......... I'm always eager to impart absolutely useless information to the rest of the world.

If we shadows have offended,

Think but this, and all is mended,

That you have but slumber'd here

While these visions did appear.

And this weak and idle theme,

No more yielding but a dream,

Gentles, do not reprehend:

If you pardon, we will mend.

And, as I'm an honest Puck,

If we have unearned luck

Now to 'scape the serpent's tongue,

We will make amends ere long;

Else the Puck a liar call:

So, good night unto you all.

Give me your hands, if we be friends,

And Robin shall restore amends. [Exit.

Puck's leave-taking from Midsummer Night's Dream is a classic example of breaking the 4th wall, the wall that is the foot of the stage in a play, the TV screen, or the movie screen. That which separates depicted reality from the audience.

Another example is Matthew Broderick's 'stinger' at the end of Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

It is either the tacit or stated acknowledgment that what is being done is fiction.

By knowingly referencing other commercials, the Fusion commercial admits to being a commercial.

It would be called very Post Modern by those who have not yet learned that we are in a Post-Post-Modern world.... And those who don't know that Shakespeare did it over and over in his plays.

Edited by RichardJensen

I won't begin to touch Richard's awesome imparting of knowledge above, but I will say that I enjoy these commercials. They're light fluff, but they have a direct message - and it is stated "Ride, Handling, and Styling" "Rated above Camry & Accord." For months (years?) people have asked Ford for commercials that call out competitors and are more aggressive. These commercials do that.

I don't think they'll have staying power, but not every ad has to be used for six months. These few, combined with the Fusion "talking" ads and perhaps another Fusion commercial design/premise, will help the Fusion be seen as a viable competitor in the midsize category.

And that's what I want to see.

Scott