PLANT ONE IDLE 8 MONTHS?

fordspeed

I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY MORE THAN 5 UNION OFFICALS THAT PLANT 1 IS TO BE IDLED FOR 8 MONTHS BECAUSE LIMA CAN HANDLE THE ORDERS FOR THE VEHICLE'S? DON'T KNOW IF IT'S A RUMOR BUT WHEN 5 PEOPLE SAY THE SAME THING THEN YOU TEND TO BELIEVE IT THEY WHERE HOLDING MEETINGS LAST WEEK ABOUT THIS!! FOR THE PEOPLE ON LAFF-OFF THIS IS NOT GOOD!! THERE ARE 300 PEOPLE LEAVING JUNE 1ST SO I HOPE THAT TAKES CARE OF EVERYTHING!!! ONE LAST THING TO MEMBERS OF 1250 START ATTENDING OUR MEMBERSHIP MEETINGS SO THEY DONT SNEAK THERE LITTLE CHANGES AND WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO TURN IT DOWN!!!!! :ohsnap:

I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY MORE THAN 5 UNION OFFICALS THAT PLANT 1 IS TO BE IDLED FOR 8 MONTHS BECAUSE LIMA CAN HANDLE THE ORDERS FOR THE VEHICLE'S? DON'T KNOW IF IT'S A RUMOR BUT WHEN 5 PEOPLE SAY THE SAME THING THEN YOU TEND TO BELIEVE IT THEY WHERE HOLDING MEETINGS LAST WEEK ABOUT THIS!! FOR THE PEOPLE ON LAFF-OFF THIS IS NOT GOOD!! THERE ARE 300 PEOPLE LEAVING JUNE 1ST SO I HOPE THAT TAKES CARE OF EVERYTHING!!! ONE LAST THING TO MEMBERS OF 1250 START ATTENDING OUR MEMBERSHIP MEETINGS SO THEY DONT SNEAK THERE LITTLE CHANGES AND WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO TURN IT DOWN!!!!! :ohsnap:

what plant ?

Retooling for rear wheel drive V6. Also retooling for 4.4L V8 Diesel, maybe an I4 also.

I've been hearing that one for a few months now, unofficially!!! And you're right about the union meetings!! With all the people laid off, in GEN or in danger of being laid off, I would think more people would want to get their info from the horse's mouth instead of just rumors (good or bad) which they obviously feel the need to post here.

CSMJ, I still am clueless to how you get your info. I would post a link to the union leaflet put out last week stating that Ford will not commit to the 4.4L diesel work coming to Cleveland, but they haven't updated the system since January. Don't you work in the Foundry?? How would you know about Plant 1? Don't say your commiteemen, cuz half of them don't even go to the union meetings. Do you go to the union meetings? Good for you if you do, but that would surprise me.

I've been hearing that one for a few months now, unofficially!!! And you're right about the union meetings!! With all the people laid off, in GEN or in danger of being laid off, I would think more people would want to get their info from the horse's mouth instead of just rumors (good or bad) which they obviously feel the need to post here.

CSMJ, I still am clueless to how you get your info. I would post a link to the union leaflet put out last week stating that Ford will not commit to the 4.4L diesel work coming to Cleveland, but they haven't updated the system since January. Don't you work in the Foundry?? How would you know about Plant 1? Don't say your commiteemen, cuz half of them don't even go to the union meetings. Do you go to the union meetings? Good for you if you do, but that would surprise me.

If Plant 1 is going to be down for 8 months to (retool) what do you think their retooling for?

The 4.4L Diesel will require alot of work in the plant, Yes or No!

I guess we will find out in April if we get it or not. As far as the letter it did say Ford was going to restart the MACT project to build 1 Cupalo, and that they will lay the wiring and the plumbing for a possible 2nd Cupalo.

Now why would Ford put in this extra wiring and plumbing if they were not going to in the future add a 2nd Cupalo. This requires alot of work and $ to do this.

Also read the Healthcare concessions we made last year it says For is going to spend $900 million on alternative fuel Engine in the next 5 years and they are required to build them in the U.S.

They had a V6 Diesel at last years auto show a Hybrid Diesel that got 65 MPG.

If Plant 1 is going to be down for 8 months to (retool) what do you think their retooling for?

The 4.4L Diesel will require alot of work in the plant, Yes or No!

I guess we will find out in April if we get it or not. As far as the letter it did say Ford was going to restart the MACT project to build 1 Cupalo, and that they will lay the wiring and the plumbing for a possible 2nd Cupalo.

Now why would Ford put in this extra wiring and plumbing if they were not going to in the future add a 2nd Cupalo. This requires alot of work and $ to do this.

Also read the Healthcare concessions we made last year it says For is going to spend $900 million on alternative fuel Engine in the next 5 years and they are required to build them in the U.S.

They had a V6 Diesel at last years auto show a Hybrid Diesel that got 65 MPG.

I hope you are right, but the way I took it was the April announcement is only for the 6.2L block. The problem with the MACT Project (as was brought up in the Feb. union meeting), is that if only one cupulo is done, the company wants it to be the east cupulo. So if a west one is ever put in, it will completely disrupt production since the ladles will not be able to travel west to the mold lines. I am not sure on the specifics but that is what the MACT project leader said at the union meeting. Also a big reason they will be doing work on the 2nd cupulo is that they already have the supplies from before they were shut down. Bottom line is that it's all out of our hands. It just seems to me that the company is setting certain plants up for failure!!

CSMJ, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHERE YOU HEAR THIS STUFF? I WAS TOLD TODAY MARCH 20TH THAT THE NEW PLANT MANG. (FROM LIMA) TOLD THE UNION THAT SHE WANTS 200 JOBS OUTSOURCED IN PLANT #2 I ALSO WAS TOLD THAT THE NEW CUPOLA IN THE FOUNDARY IS NOT GOING IN BECAUSE OF MONEY ISSUE'S AND WHY WOULD PLT#1 NEED A RETOOLING WHEN IT IS A FLEX LINE THAT ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS CHANGE THE PALLETS AND A COUPLE MACHINES! I THINK YOUR DRINKING THE KOOL-AID AGAIN! PLT#1 WAS SET UP TO RUN THE REAR WHEEL DRIVE APPS!!! SO WHY DO WE NEED TO RE-TOOL IT THEY HAVE RUN A COUPLE REAR DRIVE APPS AND FOR THE 4.4 DIESEL IT ALREADY MADE IN COLONGE GERMANY COUNT THAT ONE OUT SORRY!!!!!! THINK ABOUT THE LOGICS BEFORE YOU BELEAVE THE UNION OR COMPANY!!!!!! :ohsnap:

CSMJ, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHERE YOU HEAR THIS STUFF? I WAS TOLD TODAY MARCH 20TH THAT THE NEW PLANT MANG. (FROM LIMA) TOLD THE UNION THAT SHE WANTS 200 JOBS OUTSOURCED IN PLANT #2 I ALSO WAS TOLD THAT THE NEW CUPOLA IN THE FOUNDARY IS NOT GOING IN BECAUSE OF MONEY ISSUE'S AND WHY WOULD PLT#1 NEED A RETOOLING WHEN IT IS A FLEX LINE THAT ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS CHANGE THE PALLETS AND A COUPLE MACHINES! I THINK YOUR DRINKING THE KOOL-AID AGAIN! PLT#1 WAS SET UP TO RUN THE REAR WHEEL DRIVE APPS!!! SO WHY DO WE NEED TO RE-TOOL IT THEY HAVE RUN A COUPLE REAR DRIVE APPS AND FOR THE 4.4 DIESEL IT ALREADY MADE IN COLONGE GERMANY COUNT THAT ONE OUT SORRY!!!!!! THINK ABOUT THE LOGICS BEFORE YOU BELEAVE THE UNION OR COMPANY!!!!!! :ohsnap:

what was the 200 jobs in plant 2 that she wants to outsource? does anyone know? How about earplugs and sideshields? Is she harping on that yet?? How many people has she fired so far? She usually gets what she wants, you guys are going to have to dig in and stay right on your union about it! She's on a mission, she's there for a reason, and she is very determined! Iwould bet my paycheck that she wins! I would bet another paycheck that she will be back in Lima when the damage is done!

The local newspaper (Sun News) has reported per Union officials not to be named that Ford has not and WILL NOT be giving any new work to the Brookpark site. It is their estimation that the site will be on the list for closure in the near future. Not even tax incentives will be enough to keep the site open. Market share does not allow for 2 engine plants and Lima to manufacture the same engine. LIma will be getting new work.

The local newspaper (Sun News) has reported per Union officials not to be named that Ford has not and WILL NOT be giving any new work to the Brookpark site. It is their estimation that the site will be on the list for closure in the near future. Not even tax incentives will be enough to keep the site open. Market share does not allow for 2 engine plants and Lima to manufacture the same engine. LIma will be getting new work.

If you are correct, post the article from the Sun News so we can all read it. By 2010, more than 25 percent of all of Ford vehicles will have the 3.5 engine. Is Lima gonna run 3 shifts and produce over 5000 per engines a day? I dont think so!

I guess I'll be working in Lima.

Just like when Lorain and Avon merged everyone went to Avon and then they laidoff the lowest seniority.

Avon people got laidoff too so will Lima workers because there is alot of seniority workers at Brookpark.

Didnt Lima hire alot from 1994 on???

If so they will all be gone

I guess I'll be working in Lima.

Just like when Lorain and Avon merged everyone went to Avon and then they laidoff the lowest seniority.

Avon people got laidoff too so will Lima workers because there is alot of seniority workers at Brookpark.

Didnt Lima hire alot from 1994 on???

If so they will all be gone

Remember, you can only go if there is an open job!! But if I recall, they have a good amount of temporary help in Lima.

Remember, you can only go if there is an open job!! But if I recall, they have a good amount of temporary help in Lima.

Looks like someone is WRONG AGAIN and it's not me!!!!!!!!

We make the same product and when you transfer that product you go with the job.

Norfolk has first rights to DTP, and people in Lorain went to Avon even though the Avon people could have filled 90% of the jobs ALL of the Lorain people went to Avon and the lowest got laidoff, so Yes Im right.

If you are correct, post the article from the Sun News so we can all read it. By 2010, more than 25 percent of all of Ford vehicles will have the 3.5 engine. Is Lima gonna run 3 shifts and produce over 5000 per engines a day? I dont think so!

Thats what we were told 25% of all of fords Global production which was over 6 million last year.= 1.5 million engines. This is not counting the 3.0L which is at around 400,000 just at Cleveland last year.

Looks like someone is WRONG AGAIN and it's not me!!!!!!!!

We make the same product and when you transfer that product you go with the job.

Norfolk has first rights to DTP, and people in Lorain went to Avon even though the Avon people could have filled 90% of the jobs ALL of the Lorain people went to Avon and the lowest got laidoff, so Yes Im right.

You're right, I'm wrong!! I'll give you that one, but last time I checked, being right 10% of the time is still an F. So you're still failing big time!!!!

I dont work in an engine plant but if a plant ran 3 shifts....say 20 hrs/day 5 days a week and 10 on sat and sun...how many engines are possible ??

90 JPH would be pushing it. So, 20 actual working hours per day would give you 1800 engines. if you add the saturday and sunday work at 10 hrs per day that would be roughly 10,800 engines a week. times that by 52 it would come out to 561,000 engines per year. And that would be in a perfect situation. No breakdowns,repairs, holidays, or shutdowns. We all know that no line runs that perfect. Not at ford, gm, toyota, or any other plant in the world. So, no, they could never run a million a year.

Edited by gary112

Not to be picky, but.......

90 JPH X 20 hrs a day = 1800 per day

1800 per day X 7 days a week = 12,600 engines per week

52 weeks a year X 12,600 engines per week = 655,200 engines a year

Since you dont wanna be picky I answered "whereswaldo's" question which was--(I dont work in an engine plant but if a plant ran 3 shifts....say 20 hrs/day 5 days a week and 10 on sat and sun...how many engines are possible ?? ) He specifically said 10hrs Saturday and Sunday. So here is the math.

90JPH x 20 hrs per day = 1800 per day

1800 per day x 5 days a week = 9000

10 hrs Sat & Sun = 20 hrs x 90 = 1800

9000 + 1800 = 10,800 engines per week

52 weeks a year x 10,800 engines per week = 561,600 engines per year.

By his question he did not say 20 hrs Sat and Sun. He said 10 hrs Saturday and Sunday which is a total of 20 hrs for the 2 days.

I can only assume he meant one 10 hrs shift because you cannot work 3 ten hr shifts in one day on the same line. Therfore, I do not stand corrected. You do.

90 JPH would be pushing it. So, 20 actual working hours per day would give you 1800 engines. if you add the saturday and sunday work at 10 hrs per day that would be roughly 10,800 engines a week. times that by 52 it would come out to 561,000 engines per year. And that would be in a perfect situation.

Thanks. I was just wondering what if a COA brought a 3 crew to an engine plant like DTP is going to be doing. Also is there any engine plants big enough to runmore than one engine line at this capacity ?? My point is if ford needed 1 mil. engines could 2 lines by put in the plants? If possible, ford could consolidate even more. Maybe the same for trannies and such.

Cut Pioneer a little slack. An Electrician thing you know !! LOL

90 JPH would be pushing it. So, 20 actual working hours per day would give you 1800 engines. if you add the saturday and sunday work at 10 hrs per day that would be roughly 10,800 engines a week. times that by 52 it would come out to 561,000 engines per year. And that would be in a perfect situation. No breakdowns,repairs, holidays, or shutdowns. We all know that no line runs that perfect. Not at ford, gm, toyota, or any other plant in the world. So, no, they could never run a million a year.

At WEP (Windsor Engine) we ran around 1000 - 1100 5.4's a shift, we ran 3 shifts up to last November (September?) so that is 3000+ a day, 15000 a week etc. etc.

Thanks. I was just wondering what if a COA brought a 3 crew to an engine plant like DTP is going to be doing. Also is there any engine plants big enough to runmore than one engine line at this capacity ?? My point is if ford needed 1 mil. engines could 2 lines by put in the plants? If possible, ford could consolidate even more. Maybe the same for trannies and such.

Cut Pioneer a little slack. An Electrician thing you know !! LOL

Cleveland Plant 1 has what we call a "Dark Side", half of the plant is walled off and not in use, except for skilled trades usage and toolbox storage. A whole second 3.5 line could be put in the "Dark Side" if they wanted. Unfortunately for us in Cleveland, I believe Lima has the same kind of empty space. And since Lima might as well not even have a union (from what I hear) they seem to get whatever work there is as long as they give up whatever the company wants them to give up. So the way I still see it is that Ford is only going to keep one open and move all the equipment to that plant. Time will tell!!

A little prediction on my part... a certain poster will be chiming in here real soon saying how Cleveland is going to be getting in addition to more 3.5 volume, a 4.4L diesel, and an I4, we are also getting Ford's new state of the art V-256 aircraft carrier engine to be used in the war on terror, and that Lima is going to close. LOL LOL LOL!!!!!!!!!

What engine plant is only running 90 jph?

When I worked at CEP2 on Duratec we were on 18 second cycle times, which was 200 jph. Jag / DEW side ran slower, made me sleepy......

You are comparing the old technology lines compared to the new no fault forward flex lines that are running in CEP 1 and Lima. They dont run that fast but are a hell of a lot better with quality and accuracy. I think Lima is also at 90jph. The new way is quality over quantity.