How toxic is YOUR car interior????

Kudos to Ford for having good to mid-pack results in this vehicle interior toxins study.

The most toxic vehicles? The majority are Japanese and (yes, I'll admit it) Korean autos.

It looks like the car makers are going to have to start watching this fairly new rating system, in addition to NHTSA and IIHS crash sites, if they want to get the highest marks for their products!

Toxic at Any Speed

Chemicals in Cars and the Need for Safe Alternatives

Seat cushions, armrests, floor coverings and plastic parts used in most car interiors are made with toxic chemicals known to pose major public health risks. PBDEs, used as fire retardants, and phthalates, used to soften PVC plastics, have been linked to birth defects, impaired learning, liver toxicity, premature births, and early puberty in laboratory animals, among other serious health problems.

This first-of-its-kind report by the Ecology Center found significantly higher levels of PBDEs in vehicle dust and windshield wipe samples than those found in homes and offices in previous studies. Since the average American spends more than 1.5 hours in their car every day, this is a significant source of indoor air pollution. The study ranks car manufacturers according to the levels of toxic chemicals found inside the vehicles.

What should I do if my car is listed as a vehicle of high concern?

Since heat and UV-rays accelerate the release and breakdown of toxic chemicals, we recommend using solar reflectors and parking in the shade whenever possible. It is a good idea to ventilate your car before entering by opening doors and rolling down windows. Installation and use of carbon filters may also reduce exposure to some harmful chemicals. In addition, we recommend spending less time in your car by walking, riding a bike, or using public transportation whenever possible. This also helps reduce tailpipe emissions.

Homepage:

http://www.healthycar.org/home.php

Complete .PDF report describing toxins and amounts per car model:

http://www.healthycar.org/downloads/healthycarguide07.pdf

Edited by Ovaltine

Greetings,

Not sure how useful this really is?

I know that the Travel Trailer I bought that was new but had been on the lot for 18 months burned the heck out of my eyes and lungs when I went into it. Took a couple days to air it out well. Toxic? I am sure some of it was. But so is a Hot Shower.

So I would give this some value in the area of how much lead they use in say, the 500's shift knob. But do I know what that means? No. Is lead going to leach out onto my hands over time? Regardless, Asbestos is not illegal and used in many everyday items and it is no threat unless it becomes friable.

Regardless, if the cost diff. is zero or very negligable I sure would rather see non toxics used. If for nothing else the people that are around the mfg'ing of it.

Peace and Blessings.

"Nothing is as toxic as this:"

Obviously not, because you're still irritatingly, stubbornly alive; kinda like mildew in tile grout, a pinnacle of persistence.

Could be worse: just think of the dudes that wind up in the trunk of a Lincoln Town Car heading for Chibougamau or somewhere. Now that's a toxic interior.

For all of you who aren't Canucks, that's pronounced SHI-BOO-GA-MOO. Pop. 10K or so, smack-dab in the middle of nowhere. It's derived from an old Cree word meaning "you don't want to live here".

Damn, thats why the "new car scent" in my LS only lasted a few months...urrrr

Same thing with carpet in households...it's even pointless now for me to bother buying carpet if it's not going to smell good for at least a year.

Everyday we hear about something else being toxic..."eat too much of this"...it's toxic...dont' eat enough, it's toxic... Tomato's were supposedly good for the heart for 3 weeks, then it was countered with "Eat too much tomato's and it's bad for the kidneys"...just make up their damn mind...stupid research when they should be combating real issues like cancer and Aids.