Paint Problems on my New 2007 Fusion

DISGUSTED

I bought a 2007 Fusion on 2-26-07. The car was never driven on the highway, and only parked in the garage. The first time I washed it (by hand) I noticed 2 paint chips. I only had 145 miles on the car. These paint chips WERE NOT on the car when I picked it up from the dealer. I notified Ford customer service of the problem. This was 2 weeks after I bought the car. The following week, I noticed another paint chip. One chip was on the passenger front door, one was on the decklid near the license plate, the other was near the gas filler door. I called Ford customer service again. They told me to take it to the dealer and it would be repaired, and ....GET THIS....would ASSURE me that this (paint chipping) would not continue. I took the car to the dealer, where the service manager ASSURED me that they will NOT fix the paint under warranty. He tried to tell me that the chips were from road debris. When I told him the chips were on the back and side of the car, he then told me one was a door ding, the one on the decklid was when I missed my trunk lock keyhole by about 8 inches and scratched the car myself and the one by the gas filler door was also done by me, when I smacked the car with the gas pump nozzle. These people that work at Ford dealerships are quick to make up stories....lie ...or..blow off a customer after they already sold you a car and have your money. So, I got some touch-up paint from a Ford dealer and decided to fix it myself. When I tried to fix the chip on the door molding, I noticed that I could scratch the paint off with my fingernail ANYWHERE on the molding.

Did you get this????....I could scratch the paint off the door molding with my FINGERNAIL!!!!!! I'm afraid to try to repair any of the other paint chips on the body of the car because the same might happen. LET'S GET IT STARTED....yeah right!! If I can find a fool to buy this car from me.....it's gone....and I will NEVER BUY A FORD AGAIN! Another 12 billion dollar loss and FORD won't be around anymore...Oh well there's always Hyundai.

Edited by DISGUSTED

I bought a 2007 Fusion on 2-26-07. The car was never driven on the highway, and only parked in the garage. The first time I washed it (by hand) I noticed 2 paint chips. I only had 145 miles on the car. These paint chips WERE NOT on the car when I picked it up from the dealer. I notified Ford customer service of the problem. This was 2 weeks after I bought the car. The following week, I noticed another paint chip. One chip was on the passenger front door, one was on the decklid near the license plate, the other was near the gas filler door. I called Ford customer service again. They told me to take it to the dealer and it would be repaired, and ....GET THIS....would ASSURE me that this (paint chipping) would not continue. I took the car to the dealer, where the service manager ASSURED me that they will NOT fix the paint under warranty. He tried to tell me that the chips were from road debris. When I told him the chips were on the back and side of the car, he then told me one was a door ding, the one on the decklid was when I missed my trunk lock keyhole by about 8 inches and scratched the car myself and the one by the gas filler door was also done by me, when I smacked the car with the gas pump nozzle. These people that work at Ford dealerships are quick to make up stories....lie ...or..blow off a customer after they already sold you a car and have your money. So, I got some touch-up paint from a Ford dealer and decided to fix it myself. When I tried to fix the chip on the door molding, I noticed that I could scratch the paint off with my fingernail ANYWHERE on the molding.

Did you get this????....I could scratch the paint off the door molding with my FINGERNAIL!!!!!! I'm afraid to try to repair any of the other paint chips on the body of the car because the same might happen. LET'S GET IT STARTED....yeah right!! If I can find a fool to buy this car from me.....it's gone....and I will NEVER BUY A FORD AGAIN! Another 12 billion dollar loss and FORD won't be around anymore...Oh well there's always Hyundai.

I'm sorry that this happened to you and that you eel this way, but if they were willing to help you in the first place you should have continued to follow this up with Ford rather than the dealer. This is not, rom what I've seen a commonproblem and needed to be fixed...It just requires patience....I don't know of a single compnay (especially Hyundai) that does not build one bad car....it happens from time to time

Edited by suv_guy_19

I'm sorry that this happened to you and that you eel this way, but if they were willing to help you in the first place you should have continued to follow this up with Ford rather than the dealer. This is not, rom what I've seen a commonproblem and needed to be fixed...It just requires patience....I don't know of a single compnay (especially Hyundai) that does not build one bad car....it happens from time to time

Some Fusion owners have same problem http://www.fordfusionclub.com/index.php?topic=71959.0

My 2007 Milan is a Job 1 car... seems the cars experiencing this problem are Job 2 cars (can this be confirmed?).

I bring up my car because I had a dime-sized area of paint somehow removed from the right-rear bumper corner after it was detailed by the dealer. They gave me touch-up paint, and after two coats you can't even tell it was there. No further paint loss is evident.

Since I drive a lot (30,000 miles/year)--and over water--I get A LOT of bug and rock hits on the front end of my car. A month in to the ownership and a rock skipped across the hood and left what looks like a door ding just in front of the cowl. My windshield's got small chips (but no cracks) in several places. Good windshield design.

Anyway, my point is, I clean and wax the hell out of the front end of my car every night due to the tremendous amount of debris the car picks up daily. I'm using Meguire's Quick Detailer, Gold Class Wax, and micro-fiber towels. With that repeated action of abrasiveness in mind, I don't have any paint "flaking" off or any blemishes that appear to be from a poor paint application process. The chips I get are from rocks, bugs, etc. I just dab on a little bit of touch-up every now and then to keep up. I can't believe Ford's retailing cars with paint that literally rubs off!

One paint issue I do have is from the car sitting on the dealer's lot for an extended amount of time (my car was built in September of 2006 and I bought it January 2007). The dealer's in an industrially zoned area with a lot of industrial/chemical fallout that sits on the cars, which then sit in the sun, day after day. That pretty much means you've got a 100-grit finish on your new car. But a clay bar and some elbow grease can remedy that.

...End-Of-Tangent.

I had paint problems too on my 2004 Ford Mustang competition orange color. I brought mine into the dealership because the front bumper seemed to get stone chips every time I drove around the block. And when it chipped it I was left with a white stone chip. All my other fords when they had a stone chip they looked like the clear coat was chipped and it never chipped off and left what looks like white primer. Anyway the dealership said my warranty doesn't cover stone chips and I said maybe there is no clear coat and why is there a white color underneath. They looked further and said yes it has been clear coated and the bumper has white primer under the orange. And again there was nothing they will do. 'Just don't tailgate and that should solve the problem." This has been the only car I ever owned that the paint chipped so quickly and looks so horrible. So I guess every week I will get out my touch up paint and go to town. I still think there is something not right though. Maybe somebody else has one the same year with this problem?

Edited by orange702

I called Ford customer service again. They told me to call the dealer. When I talked to the dealer, they told me to bring the car in on Thursday and the salesman and service manager would look at. I'm not expecting anything to be resolved. When I informed the salesman that I can dig my fingernail into the paint and pull a chip off, he told me that SOME PEOPLE HAVE TOUGHER FINGERNAILS THAN OTHERS. This ridiculously stupid response came from a supposedly adult brain. Now I get it, Ford's paint isn't weak...my fingernails are too strong!

I've owned and driven only Fords and Mercurys for the past 28 years and never had a problem. It's a shame that Ford won't stand behind their new cars. Sure, they made a sale when I bought this car....but they lost a customer for life.

I called Ford customer service again. They told me to call the dealer. When I talked to the dealer, they told me to bring the car in on Thursday and the salesman and service manager would look at. I'm not expecting anything to be resolved. When I informed the salesman that I can dig my fingernail into the paint and pull a chip off, he told me that SOME PEOPLE HAVE TOUGHER FINGERNAILS THAN OTHERS. This ridiculously stupid response came from a supposedly adult brain. Now I get it, Ford's paint isn't weak...my fingernails are too strong!

I've owned and driven only Fords and Mercurys for the past 28 years and never had a problem. It's a shame that Ford won't stand behind their new cars. Sure, they made a sale when I bought this car....but they lost a customer for life.

I would suggest getting an evaulation at a proper body shop for a 2nd opinion.

I have a feeling there is a batch of Fusion's that were not prepped properly at the plant and you have one of them.

I agree. I'd probably suspect a similar issue with the '04 Mustang in custom orange

there are any number of problems that can go wrong the with painting process. it's not like other steps in manufacturing the car, like attaching a couple of bolts on a body panel.

example: missed a step (being the most likely one), bad batch of paint from supplier, improper surface prep, used wrong primer, improper drying, etc etc etc

for anyone to dismiss something as "don't tailgate" or "you have harder fingernails" is just silly. my response would be, I don't have harder fingernails but I sure have softer paint! this is such an easy problem to fix, just repaint the car. and definitely get a GOOD independent bodyshop's opinion. get an estimate to repaint the car while you're there, then at least they'll feel like you're worth their time.

Salesman has NOTHING to do with the problem, service manager will probably set up a meeting with a FORD rep....Ford will/ should stand behind any fix it....sounds like your dealer/ sales person is just a dumba$$...tougher fingernails...sheesh...some people in this business are embarrasing to the profession...and between you and i ..I would bury my feet if the issue is in fact factory and ask for a replacement car...NOT a repaint...the word is "unacceptable"....

replacement car, even better. whatever works for "everyone" meaning as long as the resolution is OK with the customer and Ford, that's what matters.

but in this case, the facilitator (dealer) didn't even try... that's just wrong.

Edited by bri719

replacement car, even better. whatever works for "everyone" meaning as long as the resolution is OK with the customer and Ford, that's what matters.

but in this case, the facilitator (dealer) didn't even try... that's just wrong.

YUP...and once again because of some dim-witted a$$ a check mark in the "Damn Dealers are ALL ALIKE" department.....

Go to google and type "ford peeling paint"

look at the result.... lol

and...I don't really see what your talking about....92...94...those are the years I see...the google toolbar I have does not have it on file so it has not been typed many times....why do you come here anyway

and...I don't really see what your talking about....92...94...those are the years I see...the google toolbar I have does not have it on file so it has not been typed many times....why do you come here anyway

If you don't have a paint problem on your Ford vehicle.....good....others do...see the post on THIS thread and the one on fordfusionclub...... 2007 Fusion. It's not just 1992-1994........ He comes here for a reason.

Edited by fusethis

My neighbor has a Prius (and they aren't cheap). At the local block party I asked him whether he was getting the advertised mileage. He went off on a tirad basically saying no because all the major arteries he drives around town on are 45 mph and the car does not get the advertised mileage (and that it does in stop and go driving - but not at 45mph +). . .then he went off on HIS paint job. Apparetnly the paint is peeling off his bumper (rear) covers. His car is white and the under color is black. Ooooo.

I saw this on another Prius a few months ago. Aren't they made in Japan? Must be a wide-spread problem. Personally I think the paint manufacturers do not have a good product for non-metalic surfaces yet.

Well, I brought my 2007 Fusion back to the F#%k Dealer...opps...I mean Ford Dealer. They told me to come in and they'll work out something. A swap. After about a half hour, the guy comes back and says, "How's $4000.00?"

"$4000.00 what?", I said. He said he would take my 2007 Fusion with 700 miles along with $4000.00 and I could get a 2007 Fusion with zero miles. I told him he was out of his mind. So he dropped the price to $2000.00. WHAT A DEAL!!! He asked me if I wanted to take his Fusion for a test drive. (As we all know, in the salesman class, they say to get the customer behind the wheel and they'll fall in love with the car.) What this trained monkey doesn't realize is that I drove in, with a 2007 Fusion.

Needless to say I left.

When you call Ford customer service they blow you off and tell you it's the dealer's responsibility. When you talk to the dealer they just blow you off. Period. Obviously this company doesn't need customer loyalty...probably because it won't be around much longer.

Took the Mex. made piece of shit Fusion for another 25 mile drive @ 10 P.M. on a Sunday night. In Chicago, the streets are empty at that time and the streets are paved (not gravel). I washed it again on Monday afternoon....guess what...2 more paint chips. Not on the front of the car. On the driver's side, right around the side-view mirror. Every time I take this goddamn thing out, there's more chips in the paint. Ford and dealer say it's road debris.....bullshit! I'm hoping this thing gets stolen or totaled.