Gasser vs. diesel tranny's.

Hydro

I was tooling around on the Ford Partner site looking at dealers inventories on 08 SD's and noticed when I look at the check-off list for the truck options there are two different 5 speed tranny options. One says 5 speed auto OD etc. and another saying - 5 spd auto OD 6.4L diesel? Is there a different tranny for the 6.4 (possibly beefed up?) or is there only ONE torqshift made?

When I click on the gasser motors the first tranny option only comes up. Then I'll click on the diesel and only the "diesel" tranny button can be filled.

I was tooling around on the Ford Partner site looking at dealers inventories on 08 SD's and noticed when I look at the check-off list for the truck options there are two different 5 speed tranny options. One says 5 speed auto OD etc. and another saying - 5 spd auto OD 6.4L diesel? Is there a different tranny for the 6.4 (possibly beefed up?) or is there only ONE torqshift made?

When I click on the gasser motors the first tranny option only comes up. Then I'll click on the diesel and only the "diesel" tranny button can be filled.

Torque convertors are different, as are the number of clutches in certain packs. I think the gearing is the same for either though.

Torqshift is a 6 speed, but only 5 speeds are used at any given time, with 4th being only used in cold operation.

Torque convertors are different, as are the number of clutches in certain packs. I think the gearing is the same for either though.

Torqshift is a 6 speed, but only 5 speeds are used at any given time, with 4th being only used in cold operation.

Thanks for the reply. I'm back peddling on the whole diesel option because of the astronomical price and unknown reliability. I only tow 6-7 times a year and my current trailer is only 8,000lbs but we will upgrade to a 10-11k in the future. I'm sure the V-10 will handle it ok, it won't win any races uphill but who needs to go 70 mph and asking for a big ticket. $7,000 is a lot of gas money and maintenence cost are a lot lower on the gasser. I still don't know, I'm really waiting for Ford to lay some cash on the hoods of these beast.

Thanks for the reply. I'm back peddling on the whole diesel option because of the astronomical price and unknown reliability. I only tow 6-7 times a year and my current trailer is only 8,000lbs but we will upgrade to a 10-11k in the future. I'm sure the V-10 will handle it ok, it won't win any races uphill but who needs to go 70 mph and asking for a big ticket. $7,000 is a lot of gas money and maintenence cost are a lot lower on the gasser. I still don't know, I'm really waiting for Ford to lay some cash on the hoods of these beast.

The v-10 will MORE than fill your needs. There isn't that much power defecit either, as some would have you believe. I would probably opt for 3.73 or 3.55 gear, as the 4.10 is just way too deep. Take it easy on em and they can get ok mileage. Just remember you are pushing a vehicle with the aerodymanics of a brick thru the air.

The v-10 will MORE than fill your needs. There isn't that much power defecit either, as some would have you believe. I would probably opt for 3.73 or 3.55 gear, as the 4.10 is just way too deep. Take it easy on em and they can get ok mileage. Just remember you are pushing a vehicle with the aerodymanics of a brick thru the air.

I couldn't agree more. The diesel is difficult to justify for most folks. However, I would go with 3.73's if you pull any kind of trailer, especially if there are hills in you area. Gas mileage will suffer a bit, but you will be happier in the long run.

Your situation is very similar to mine, I ordered the F250 V10 torqshift. The only rear end options you have is 4.10, 4.10LS, or 4.30LS. The 3.73 and 4.88 are only available on the diesel. I don't know what the diffrences are between the diesel anf gas torqshift, it probably has to do with shift points etc, due to different powercurve.

But don't forget to factor in the the higher resale value if you go to trade or sell your diesel. Say it add $4000 to its resale (whichit probably would be at least that for quite some time) then your only really talking about a $3000 additional cost, or what ever the case may be. Plus, it would probably sell much faster also.

But don't forget to factor in the the higher resale value if you go to trade or sell your diesel. Say it add $4000 to its resale (whichit probably would be at least that for quite some time) then your only really talking about a $3000 additional cost, or what ever the case may be. Plus, it would probably sell much faster also.

You have a point there SC, but if the new diesel is a turd like the 6.0 then you won't be able to give those trucks away. Anybody who is "up to date" with todays trucks know the 6.0 is a problem child and will not buy one. Right now I'd say the v-10 (2003-2007) would fetch just as much in the real world, not what dealers try to get.

You have a point there SC, but if the new diesel is a turd like the 6.0 then you won't be able to give those trucks away. Anybody who is "up to date" with todays trucks know the 6.0 is a problem child and will not buy one. Right now I'd say the v-10 (2003-2007) would fetch just as much in the real world, not what dealers try to get.

i just took delivery of a f350, crew cab with the 6.4l diesel - after four years of an 03 f250 with a 6.0l diesel. my 6.0 didn't have any major problems like some i've heard about. i did get regular pcm updates by my local dealer. 82,000 when i traded and it held resale value very well.

i special prdered my 08 f350. i've got about 200 miles on it and i've got to say, if you want a diesel - get a 6.4. mine seems much more power and quiter, smoother drive. very happy with the 6.4. (although i ask the dealer to leave the flame thrower option on mine ;o) )

jb

i just took delivery of a f350, crew cab with the 6.4l diesel - after four years of an 03 f250 with a 6.0l diesel. my 6.0 didn't have any major problems like some i've heard about. i did get regular pcm updates by my local dealer. 82,000 when i traded and it held resale value very well.

i special prdered my 08 f350. i've got about 200 miles on it and i've got to say, if you want a diesel - get a 6.4. mine seems much more power and quiter, smoother drive. very happy with the 6.4. (although i ask the dealer to leave the flame thrower option on mine ;o) )

jb

Your dead on with those comments, my 6.4 just hit 300 miles, its in a drw cc 4X4 and compared to my '05 6.0 this sucker has the same off the clutch power my 7.3 did, it actually has boost on the gauge at 1100 rpm. The 6.0 never had a single issue, but man did it have lag with the 6spd. It is a bit early to post but it looks like the 6.4 likes fuel, 14.6mpg average on those first 300 miles. I did hitch up for a short 7 mile pull although the book says not to for 500 miles, the 6.4 seems to have the bottom end of the 7.3 and the mid and upper range of the 6.0.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the same situation and I opted for the 6.8. It had the same power as my 7.3 PSD which was plenty. I, too questioned the quality/reliability with these new motors. (6.0 and 6.4) And yes, the option is pricey; it makes the 6.8 look like a great deal. I wasn't into prepaying my fuel savings in a vehicle I put 5k miles on a year.

I completely disagree with some other posts regarding axle ratios. The peak torque is 3200 rpm or so. I have 4.10s and tow 10,000. The 4.10's put that motor right in the sweetspot on 6% grades. Anything less would not be ideal. In fact, some people like the 4.30s with the 6.8.

The 6.8 has plenty of power without all of the diesel maintenace hassles. Not to mention the fact the 6.4 will still have bugs to work out.

-Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I just picked up a 2008 F-250 Lariat tonight. We did end up with the diesel mainly because the truck had all the options I really wanted (tailgate step, reverse sensors, power mirrors, etc..). I got a fair trade in value for the 03 Supercrew so now it's back to truck payments every month but a new toy to play with :happy feet: although, a quite expensive toy. I really hope this truck is as lucky as my last one (ZERO warranty claims in four years).

Now I have to go change my signature....

jb

The engineers who worked on the 6.4L program would agree with you ! :D

Keep us posted on the fuel economy. I have heard "real world" number are down significantly from the 6.0L (trucks over 8,000 GVW use a different test for fuel economy than do cars and 1/2 ton trucks).

• 4 weeks later...