NEED HELP FROM CHICAGO

fordspeed

I'M A LAID OFF WORKER FROM CLEVELAND AND TODAY I WAS INFORMED THAT CHICAGO IS TAKING PEOPLE? CAN SOMEONE LET ME KNOW ABOUT THE COST OF LIVING AND IF IT'S NOT A BAD PLACE TO LIVE AND RAISE A FAMILY? HOW FAR IS THE PLANT FROM DOWNTOWN? WHAT YOUR HOURS LOOKING LIKE?

We work ussually 8hrs a day, 5 days a week ( we'll most likely be working 10 hr days 4 days a week after we vote on the COA). The plant is located on the south east side of Chicago (about 30 minutes from downtown). A lot of employees live in northwest Indiana.

http://gniarmls.rapmls.com/scripts/mgrqisp...k=&KeyRid=0

this is a link to homes in Northwest Indiana. Just put a check mark in the residential box, put in an amount and zip code your looking to move in.

46375 is Schererville

46311 is Dyer

46373 is Saint John

These are the only areas that I know. They are about 30 minutes from work and they have 4 star schools. If anyone else has input feel free to post it but this is all I have. Hope this helps! Good luck!

I'M A LAID OFF WORKER FROM CLEVELAND AND TODAY I WAS INFORMED THAT CHICAGO IS TAKING PEOPLE? CAN SOMEONE LET ME KNOW ABOUT THE COST OF LIVING AND IF IT'S NOT A BAD PLACE TO LIVE AND RAISE A FAMILY? HOW FAR IS THE PLANT FROM DOWNTOWN? WHAT YOUR HOURS LOOKING LIKE?

I don't usually post in this thread but -

Look for a place in Northwest Indiana. The cost of living is much less and your only about 30 miles from The Loop in Chicago.

Shereville, Whiting, Munster and Highland are probably your best bets.

Just don't go to Gary, IN and you will be fine.

Best of luck. :shades:

Edited by 96 Pony

I don't usually post in this thread but -

Look for a place in Northwest Indiana. The cost of living is much less and your only about 30 miles from The Loop in Chicago.

Shereville, Whiting, Munster and Highland are probably your best bets.

Just don't go to Gary, IN and you will be fine.

Best of luck. :shades:

Yeh, Gary is fu-ked up! It was ounce the murder Capital of the U.S.

If I were laidoff I wouldn't go nowhere my friend.

Union says we can go to Lima but we have to come back when plant 1 opens. We can go as a temporary replacement only. This means that when not if plant 1 opens you should have a job. If Ford were to send us to Lima and tell us we must come back and then we come back and the plant closes I would say we would have a good case against Ford,and the UAW wouldn't you.

I know there's at least 320 people retiring in June and July. That would leave 400 more with 77(only about 20 with 77) or more seniority. With plant 1 and 2 they are gonna need about 1,000 --1,200 people.

Trust me when the casting plant goes away alot of foundry workers are gonna retire. Count on it.

In 2009 those 400 will have at least 33 years plus their foundry credits.

If the casting plant closes, they are gonna close it alright and Premier Auto Group is gonna buy it and make the same blocks plus the new diesel blocks(300,000)work from Navistar in 2010 and ship them to plant 2.

Union says we can go to Lima but we have to come back when plant 1 opens. We can go as a temporary replacement only. This means that when not if plant 1 opens you should have a job. If Ford were to send us to Lima and tell us we must come back and then we come back and the plant closes I would say we would have a good case against Ford,and the UAW wouldn't you.

I know there's at least 320 people retiring in June and July. That would leave 400 more with 77(only about 20 with 77) or more seniority. With plant 1 and 2 they are gonna need about 1,000 --1,200 people.

Trust me when the casting plant goes away alot of foundry workers are gonna retire. Count on it.

If the casting plant closes, they are gonna close it alright and Premier Auto Group is gonna buy it and make the same blocks plus the new diesel blocks(300,000)work from Navistar in 2010 and ship them to plant 2.

If your right and fordspeed is hungry Lima would be an awsome place to get overtime having 3 shifts. I wish I worked at a facility that worked 3 shifts!

Edited by Furious1Auto

• 4 weeks later...

CSMJ is wrong a vast majority of the time. It would be unwise to make any life altering decisions based on his grand illustions. :reading:

Plant One will not re-open.