Mkz MPG!

mkizlvr

Im kinda dsiapoointed with the mpg i am getting in my mkz. i drive 50% city and 50% highway and i am getting 18.2 mpg which is not bad but not very good either considering i am not doing all city driving. i have 6200 miles on it. is anyone else getting not so good mpg?

Im kinda dsiapoointed with the mpg i am getting in my mkz. i drive 50% city and 50% highway and i am getting 18.2 mpg which is not bad but not very good either considering i am not doing all city driving. i have 6200 miles on it. is anyone else getting not so good mpg?

whats your driving style....and really...any city driving is going to lower mileage very quickly....also...how fast do you drive on the highway...all things to consider.

With only 6,200 miles, I say the engine isn't broken in yet. In my experience, Ford builds really tight engines that sometimes take 10-12,000 miles to run in.

That's been my experiene with D30s. Gas mileage wasn't as advertised until around 7,500 - 10,000 miles. I would expect the D35 to be similar.

I would not recommend it with today's computerized engines, but back in the old carb days, with a new engine, adding a few ounces of motor oil to the gasoline as an "upper cylinder lubricant" seemed to help.

Thanks to today's alloys and lubricants, the "ring & valve job" at 40,000 miles has largely disappeared.

I'm getting about 19MPG, better than the 15 on the LS, but with considerably less power. I'm disappointed as well by the mileage, but I'm lucky to get the minimum on any of my cars. I drive a little aggressively, but the MKZ doesn't really permit aggressive driving so I'm forced into a certain driving style anyway.

Considerably less power? The MkZ has more power than any V6 LS ever had. Its got within 10% the torque that the 3.9L had before it received VCT in its later years. Unless you had a late model V8 LS, which also had a bit of a weight penalty to it, the power to weight ratio on the MkZ shouldn't be that far off. That is, unless you have the AWD model. Then, nevermind, it isn't exactly sporty anymore after that.

I'm getting about 19MPG, better than the 15 on the LS, but with considerably less power. I'm disappointed as well by the mileage, but I'm lucky to get the minimum on any of my cars. I drive a little aggressively, but the MKZ doesn't really permit aggressive driving so I'm forced into a certain driving style anyway.

considerably less power? The MKz doesnt even have "considerably" less power than the V8 LS. Maybe its less torquey but I doubt its much slower if at all.

MKZ FWD 0-60 6.8sec. 1/4 mile 15.2 @ 93.4mph. From Motor Trend (with a huge "FWIW"):

MKZ AWD 0-60 7.3sec 1/4 mile 15.6 (trap speed not given) From C & D via Yahoo Autos

LS V8 (2003) 0-60 6.8sec 1/4 mile 15.02 @ 92.8. From Motor Trend

I don't think the words 'considerably less' have any place in a discussion of straight-line performance of the MKZ & LS8!

Now, for other things (feedback, handling, body-roll, etc.) Yeah, the MKZ is a totally different beast. But don't let's pretend that the LS was some kind of speed demon.

MKZ FWD 0-60 6.8sec. 1/4 mile 15.2 @ 93.4mph. From Motor Trend (with a huge "FWIW"):

MKZ AWD 0-60 7.3sec 1/4 mile 15.6 (trap speed not given) From C & D via Yahoo Autos

LS V8 (2003) 0-60 6.8sec 1/4 mile 15.02 @ 92.8. From Motor Trend

I don't think the words 'considerably less' have any place in a discussion of straight-line performance of the MKZ & LS8!

Now, for other things (feedback, handling, body-roll, etc.) Yeah, the MKZ is a totally different beast. But don't let's pretend that the LS was some kind of speed demon.

Maybe that's it. The LS is more prone to transmitting drivetrain noise and has a more jerky suspension so that when accelerating in the LS, the noise, jarring and general thrashing about makes it SEEM like it's faster, like Cherry Bomb glasspaks made all the cars in the highschool parking lot soooo much faster, when it's really not.

I guess when your RPM is hitting 4000RPM in the highway, and the noise is annoying then yes, it does make you think your going pretty fast. Could that be the reason why the Ghetto boys love putting fart-can mufflers on their Civics?.. I mean, it's pretty funny all that noise they make and here I am quietly flying by them as they try to get up to speed.

Yes, it's an MKZ and there is a big difference in available power, particularly in city driving. The LS has instant power, the MKZ has to sort it out gradually. No amount of peddle mashing will get you the power when you need it, I find it a little frustrating compared to the LS. The MKZ is a more rugged vehicle, the type of car I don't worry hitting potholes. The LS is still quieter and smoother than the MKZ. I notice there is a lot of sound transmission through the glass and roof on the MKZ, not so much from the engine or road. The LS is buttoned down all around.

Borg, Question on the MKZ...Do you know if the vehicle starts on 2nd gear? Like with the LS, it's not an issue since you can use the Selectshift and put it on 1st if need be for even more power but on leisurely driving it'll start you off on 2nd.

Borg, Question on the MKZ...Do you know if the vehicle starts on 2nd gear? Like with the LS, it's not an issue since you can use the Selectshift and put it on 1st if need be for even more power but on leisurely driving it'll start you off on 2nd.

The LS NEVER started in 2nd gear in full automatic mode. That is an urban legend. It only started in 2nd gear in manual mode and that was only on the 00-02 models. The 03+ models started in 1st by default in manual shift mode. The Audi A8 had the same programming for the same reason - the EPA test methods penalized the manual shift mode by leaving it in 4th gear instead of 5th so they had to start in 2nd to compensate. Too much of a hit on EPA mileage - it would have made the LS a gas guzzler. The EPA changed the test methods before the 03 models hit the streets so they didn't need it anymore.

And the MKZ doesn't even have a manual shift mode so your question is not only wrong it's not even applicable to the MKZ.