A Fusion question

TomServo92

Anyone have the 4 cylinder/auto combo? If so, how is it in everyday driving? I haven't test driven one yet but I was wondering how it does in the real world. My wife and I have an '06 Escape and an '02 Lincoln LS V8. We need a economical daily driver and we've decided to keep the LS as the secondary/weekend car. Before anyone brings it up, the wife has nixed a manual transmission. :(

Is that just based on a test drive or actual long term ownership?

After that test drive, I'm very glad I'm not an owner. AWD V6 SEL was a completely different beast though...much better. Still a little disappointed in the auto's behavior in that car too though.

After that test drive, I'm very glad I'm not an owner. AWD V6 SEL was a completely different beast though...much better. Still a little disappointed in the auto's behavior in that car too though.

Well, we're buying it for economy. If it's not too harsh, we can live with it. We have the LS when we want smooth and quiet!

I have the I4 with automatic trans.

Regarding a -new- Fusion, I would agree with Nick on the harsh shifts with higher-than-desirable tachometer/RPM points. However -- keep reading.

At six months in, it wasn't doing that nearly as much. I halted it for good by dropping by the dealer for a quick adjustment to the car's computer controls. (I believe there was a TSB on it).

I let an associate drive my car yesterday and the response was "smooth power" -- he also said something like "light pedal - touch it and it goes."

And Tom, everyday driving - I get the feeling the car is geared for acceleration off the line, making it feel not sluggish like the Five Hundred. Gas mileage: currently I'm at 26 mpg for normal driving with light traffic. 23 mpg with medium in-town traffic.

I thought the auto in the 4 cyl Fusion was pretty cruddy. Harsh shifts at sky-high RPM under any modest acceleration at all. Just my two cents.

Is that just based on a test drive or actual long term ownership?
Edited by Roadrunner

I have the I4 with automatic trans.

Regarding a -new- Fusion, I would agree with Nick on the harsh shifts with higher-than-desirable tachometer/RPM points. However -- keep reading.

At six months in, it wasn't doing that nearly as much. I halted it for good by dropping by the dealer for a quick adjustment to the car's computer controls. (I believe there was a TSB on it).

I let an associate drive my car yesterday and the response was "smooth power" -- he also said something like "light pedal - touch it and it goes."

And Tom, everyday driving - I get the feeling the car is geared for acceleration off the line, making it feel not sluggish like the Five Hundred. Gas mileage: currently I'm at 26 mpg for normal driving with light traffic. 23 mpg with medium in-town traffic.

Good info! What year is yours?

We're going to try to test drive one this weekend. I've already started talking to dealer that I bought the Escape from to see if they can find what we want. I'll post my test drive impressions.

Hi TomServo92! :D If the Dealer cannot find the exact vehicle you and your wife would like, and you can wait for it to arrive, have you considered factory ordering one? This way, no "settling for" colors or equipment you didn't want.

Just figured I would throw the idea out there.

Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi TomServo92! :D If the Dealer cannot find the exact vehicle you and your wife would like, and you can wait for it to arrive, have you considered factory ordering one? This way, no "settling for" colors or equipment you didn't want.

Just figured I would throw the idea out there.

Good luck! :beerchug:

I've ordered cars in the past but I prefer to buy from inventory. It's definitely an option if we can't find one with the "must have" options.

I took a test drive this afternoon. They didn't have a I4/Auto SEL but they did have an I4/auto SE with the special appearance package (close enough). I didn't experience any of the harshness that Nick mentioned. While it's definitely not a quarter mile monster, acceleration was decent and the shifts were smooth. I like the handling (definitely reminds me of my old Mazda6) and I think it will do just fine as an economical daily driver. My dealer is looking for one with the options we want. He found a Redfire w/ Medium Stone leather that might be the one (we actually wanted blue but I could live with red).

My mom has a 06 Mazda 6 I4 auto (and I know the Fusion is slightly heavier because of the size difference) but I love that car. We would have gotten the Milan or the Fusion but my Mom needed a car when the CD3's were new and the I4's were ultra low in the inventory..somthing like only 3 I4 Milans in the whole state at the time. Anyhoo, I'm not speed demon but to me the car is more than powerful enough for anyone with common sense, and the 5 speed auto is a great auto in my humble opinion. We test drove a "already" taken fusion SE I4 auto last year and the thing was just as good as the 6, so go ahead and get yourself a great new economical, sporty, stylish, quality car and enjoy!

My mom has a 06 Mazda 6 I4 auto (and I know the Fusion is slightly heavier because of the size difference) but I love that car. We would have gotten the Milan or the Fusion but my Mom needed a car when the CD3's were new and the I4's were ultra low in the inventory..somthing like only 3 I4 Milans in the whole state at the time. Anyhoo, I'm not speed demon but to me the car is more than powerful enough for anyone with common sense, and the 5 speed auto is a great auto in my humble opinion. We test drove a "already" taken fusion SE I4 auto last year and the thing was just as good as the 6, so go ahead and get yourself a great new economical, sporty, stylish, quality car and enjoy!

I had an '04 Mazda6 V6 and I can definitely feel the DNA in the Fusion.

I traded in a V6 Escape for an I4 auto Fusion about 6 months ago for the wife to drive. We were getting about 20 mpg in the Escape, she's getting 27-28 now in the Fusion. I have driven some V6 Fusions, and they do sound and feel more confident than the I4. You should check out the I4 Milan. I've heard it has some of the sound deading from the Lincoln that the Fusion doesn't have. It would be interesting whether or not you could tell a difference between the two.

I traded in a V6 Escape for an I4 auto Fusion about 6 months ago for the wife to drive. We were getting about 20 mpg in the Escape, she's getting 27-28 now in the Fusion. I have driven some V6 Fusions, and they do sound and feel more confident than the I4. You should check out the I4 Milan. I've heard it has some of the sound deading from the Lincoln that the Fusion doesn't have. It would be interesting whether or not you could tell a difference between the two.

Like I said earlier, we have a Lincoln LS if we want quiet and smooth. The Fusion is going to be the daily commute car. Gas mileage and reliability are what we want out of it.

Like I said earlier, we have a Lincoln LS if we want quiet and smooth. The Fusion is going to be the daily commute car. Gas mileage and reliability are what we want out of it.

Car and Driver recently reported a 0-60 time of 8.1 with I-4 Fusion with 5 speed manual trans. I thought that was a very good time and better than both 4 cyl. Camry and Accord. I would think 31-35mpg on highway is doable with I-4 Fusion, and not bad accelaration times to boot. :shades:

Car and Driver recently reported a 0-60 time of 8.1 with I-4 Fusion with 5 speed manual trans. I thought that was a very good time and better than both 4 cyl. Camry and Accord. I would think 31-35mpg on highway is doable with I-4 Fusion, and not bad accelaration times to boot. :shades:

That would be icing on the cake...

Normally, I like to get a car pretty loaded up. I have put extensive miles on 3 CD3 derivatives, all V6. A Mazda 6s manual, a Mazda 6s auto, and a Zephyr. All were good experiences; I liked the Mazda's better as they were a bit smaller, sportier, and more nimble. Nevertheless, this platform works well. It's very competent in the handling department. Quality was excellent on all of them; absolutely no issues on around 25-30 k on each of them. No squeaks, no rattles...nothing. Just oil changes.

Recently, I rented a Focus I4 auto for a 2-week period where I put on around 1,500 miles, and I was very pleasantly surprised. It is true that the engine has to rev a bit under heavy acceleration, and you certainly notice it more under those conditions compared with the V6. But I never felt I was fighting to get out of my own way even on uphill freeway entrance ramps. I found the shifting on the 5-speed to be firm, but precise (a 6 speed would improve things I think). Once you're moving, you would never know you're driving a 4 cyl. Fuel economy was excellent. In the high 20's with a mixture of stop-and-go city driving and freeway. I kept thinking..."much better than expected. With gas at over $3.25 a gallon, I should consider this next time around, save some fuel, and put a few bucks back in my pocket".

For the use you are considering, with an LS in reserve, I personally think this would fit the bill.

My automatic 4-cylinder Milan Premier has been the best car buy of my life (knocks on wood). I needed a durable vehicle that had a comfortable power seat for long drives. I'm on the road almost three hours every work day. This vehicle delivers.

Here's the story thus far:

- 105 mile round trip commute, five days/week

- Bought car January 17

- Have 9200 miles to date

- Two oil changes

- Averaging 30-31.5 combined mpg :rockon:

This car would definitely get 33-35 mpg if you filled up the tank, got on the Interstate, and didn't stop. My driving pattern is brutal and the car has repeatedly performed. It's comfortable... it's loaded with features (leather, power seat, auto thermostat, audiophile)... and it looks like a much more expensive car (got it for $19k).

This vehicle will be driven the same way for at least the next 3.5 years (payoff date) until it has a fatal error. I estimate at the payoff date it will have at least 100,000 miles clocked.

When it comes time to replace it, I'll get the equivilent Mercury-Lincoln model (providing these brands are still available). The way I see it--and it makes sense--there's no reason I should have even considered an Accord or Camry, cause I drive the crap out of a vehicle. Paying more for their cars because they might have better trade-in value is irrelevant if I'm going to trade-in for another Ford product! That's really the weakest arguement they have... "pay more for this vehicle cause it will be worth more when you get rid of it"... the investment is proportionate if you're getting another domestic vehicle. :rant: