Please, no more fake side and hood scoops!

Slithering_Joe

Generally I agree, but as the owner a '97 Cobra, I can't complain about fake scoops. It has FOUR of them. :hysterical:

Fake scoops look fine, as long as they are well-integrated into the design as I believe they are on the Cobra. The ones that look like afterthoughts (08 Focus, 01-04 Mustang GT) are the ones that bug me.

Generally I agree, but as the owner a '97 Cobra, I can't complain about fake scoops. It has FOUR of them. :hysterical:

Fake scoops look fine, as long as they are well-integrated into the design as I believe they are on the Cobra. The ones that look like afterthoughts (08 Focus, 01-04 Mustang GT) are the ones that bug me.

hrm, I was told by a 96 cobra owner that the hood scoops were actually functional in a minimal sort of way.

hrm, I was told by a 96 cobra owner that the hood scoops were actually functional in a minimal sort of way.

Actually, the '94 and early '95 SN95 cars had a rearward side scoops that allowed air to flow through and into the rear wheel well. The inner rear fender was punched out with a flow-through vent. On later models, Ford closed up the fender but retained the outer vent. Then, around the late '97 models the outer vent had the holes filled in and it was just a textured piece of plastic having the look of holes. The whole concept of putting a vent/scoop back there was rediculous and blocking it off completely made it even worse. The '99-2004 cars look horrendous with their edge version of the scoop. At least the Bullitt model had what looked like a 'delete panel' that filled in that sore quite nicely.

The hood scoops on the '94-'98 cars at least had some airflow throught them but again they were worthless. The only time it looked good was when you had a hot engine and drove through some deep water. You would see some steam escape through the vents. ...It's still ridiculous. A guy at the drags once had his 3M tape mounted fake hood scoop on his edge style Mustang fly off while going down the track! WTF?!?

At least the '03-'04 Cobra style hood allowed some cooling capabilities. I applaud Ford for developing the Mach1 with the shaker ram-air scoop. I can just imagine the bean-counter politics wars involved in getting that to production!!! Thank you Ford for getting off your over-conservative arse for that one time. That makes for one very nice car.

If you are going to waste some development and product costs installing fake scoops save your time & money. At least get some vents to help cool down the engine compartment and at least help cool the brakes for track events. Make a true sports car...I can't stand fake crap on cars. Could you tell?

Now, guage clusters are filled with glorified "idiot lights" resembling meters. That is for another topic later...

sorry.

I have to partially disagree. My parents have an '02 Mustang GT that looks WAY better with the fake hood and side scoops than it would without. At least it doesn't look as flat and plain as almost every other car in production today. But I do agree that they'd be a lot better if the hood scoop was actually part of the intake, and the side scoops actually were for brake cooling.

Edited by jd87

Let's all agree that the Mustang has some heritage with hood scoops and side scoops whether real or fake. But what about the 500/Taurus? Focus? SuperDuty? I think that's where it's getting way out of hand. It started with fender vents on exotics like Aston Martin, spread a little to Jaguar, and now for some ungodly reason Ford has decided every mainstream Ford requires side vents. Bleeccchhhh.

Let's all agree that the Mustang has some heritage with hood scoops and side scoops whether real or fake. But what about the 500/Taurus? Focus? SuperDuty? I think that's where it's getting way out of hand. It started with fender vents on exotics like Aston Martin, spread a little to Jaguar, and now for some ungodly reason Ford has decided every mainstream Ford requires side vents. Bleeccchhhh.

Nobody with taste likes it. But you can trace it all back to Buick with the resurgence of their "port hole" vents on the recent Park Avenue and now "Super" models. As soon as they brought that idiot detail back, you saw every auto accessory and Auto Zone store stocking the retarded trapezoidal ones you can stick onto anything with wheels (predominantly the Chrysler 300s).

Also thank your local gangsta' wanna-be's for "pimping their rides" so sweet with knock-off Cadillac crests, "limited" badges, and "DUB" logos. I can't wait to have my first sighting of a 2008 Focus (yes, it gets the stupid side "vents") with the fake store-bought port holes stuck to the tops of the front fenders.

"Yo! It's juss' jewelry!"

post-26803-1179931458_thumb.jpg

Nobody with taste likes it. But you can trace it all back to Buick with the resurgence of their "port hole" vents on the recent Park Avenue and now "Super" models. As soon as they brought that idiot detail back, you saw every auto accessory and Auto Zone store stocking the retarded trapezoidal ones you can stick onto anything with wheels (predominantly the Chrysler 300s).

Also thank your local gangsta' wanna-be's for "pimping their rides" so sweet with knock-off Cadillac crests, "limited" badges, and "DUB" logos. I can't wait to have my first sighting of a 2008 Focus (yes, it gets the stupid side "vents") with the fake store-bought port holes stuck to the tops of the front fenders.

"Yo! It's juss' jewelry!"

The vents on the side of the new Super Duty trucks are REAL. They are air vents to dissipate heat from engine compartment. And the color of vent tells you if engine is diesel or gas. I like them and think they are nice touch and functional to boot.

The vents on the side of the new Super Duty trucks are REAL. They are air vents to dissipate heat from engine compartment. And the color of vent tells you if engine is diesel or gas. I like them and think they are nice touch and functional to boot.

The only way vents could be considered "real" is if they are engineered into the design of the vehicle (see: Dodge Viper, Saleen S7). That little piece of decoration (that's really all it is) stuck to the side of a pickup truck is there just to make it look different. Trucks generally look the same. There's not much real estate to massage into a unique shape (Dodge and Toyota are currently the best at this).

So it has a hole in it? Well how else was it supposed to stick on?

And you don't need a red colored vent to tell a diesel truck from a gas powered one... just get close enough to the exhaust.

The only way vents could be considered "real" is if they are engineered into the design of the vehicle (see: Dodge Viper, Saleen S7). That little piece of decoration (that's really all it is) stuck to the side of a pickup truck is there just to make it look different. Trucks generally look the same. There's not much real estate to massage into a unique shape (Dodge and Toyota are currently the best at this).

So it has a hole in it? Well how else was it supposed to stick on?

And you don't need a red colored vent to tell a diesel truck from a gas powered one... just get close enough to the exhaust.

meelaan, I respectfully disagree. THey are necessary on the 6.4l. They are a part of the design, they can't get enough heat out of the engine bay without them. The gassers don't need em. The diesel has several large coolers that would not be able to dissapate enough heat otherwise.

meelaan, I respectfully disagree. THey are necessary on the 6.4l. They are a part of the design, they can't get enough heat out of the engine bay without them. The gassers don't need em. The diesel has several large coolers that would not be able to dissapate enough heat otherwise.

You're telling me the cowl, grille, raised ground clearance, and even the gaps where the hood meets the fenders don't already provide significant enough heat exhaust management that 5" side vents were found to be technically necessary?

If Ford wanted to engineer a serious engine heat exhaust solution, a serious solution would have been designed into the vehicle. Vents significant enough to not just allow a little heat exhaust, but completely ventilate the engine bay in an efficient manner.

Ford never had this feature before... does that mean their trucks have been suffering for the past 100 years from insufficient ventilation? This is simply a branding effort. Just like Dodge came out with their radical design in 1996 that aped a Kenworth (and then marketed that you get better visability from that hood design) Ford is looking for a styling trademark.

Too bad it went beyond the truck line.

These things are jewelry and I say (also respectfully) that you're being duped into believing otherwise.

post-26803-1180114842_thumb.jpg

I'm thinking of putting some multi-color LEDs behind my vents. They'll look good with the dropped truck and 12-in wheels and will be color-coordinated with the under-body neon lights. Does any one know where I can buy tassles to hang behind the rear-view mirror?

post-27428-1180385880_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steiny

I'm thinking of putting some multi-color LEDs behind my vents. They'll look good with the dropped truck and 12-in wheels and will be color-coordinated with the under-body neon lights. Does any one know where I can buy tassles to hang behind the rear-view mirror?

WTF... :hysterical:

Ford never had this feature before... does that mean their trucks have been suffering for the past 100 years from insufficient ventilation? This is simply a branding effort. Just like Dodge came out with their radical design in 1996 that aped a Kenworth (and then marketed that you get better visability from that hood design) Ford is looking for a styling trademark.

The older diesels don't have near as much heat to deal with as the new 6.4 does. All the new emissions junk uncle sam forced on them makes the engine compartment much hotter, especially with the DPF filter that BURNS the particulates out of the filter. Some of the very first 6.4's had an issue where they ran just a little too hot in regen mode: http://youtube.com/watch?v=v36MCcRPRTc

I guess we could remove all of the vents, badges, spoilers, and other unique parts of all cars on the road. That would be sweet. Every car looks exactly the same. Awesome. Gotta love those barren, flat sides.

THe basic problem with the super duty is all the coolers and the lack of open area in the engine bay to vent. THere is a HUGE fan and large 2 piece shroud that not only bolts to the rad but a finned one that is bolted to the block to help direct air that has to be there to efficiently flow air over the coolers. 2 egr coolers, engine radiator, intercooler, ac condensor, trans cooler, p/s cooler, and fuel cooler all throwing out heat. Not to mention that the pre-turbo exhaust piping (the hottest area on the engine save the turbo) has increased exponentally. The new engine just doesn't have enough real estate under the hood (part of the reason that the cab has to be removed to do any major work on it). Ford could have made significant re-designs to the firewall to aid heat loss, but it would be much cheaper to just poke holes in the fenders, allowing the heat out. Also at speed, the vents will work on a venturi effect and pull even more air out.

Jd's right on the money: this isn't some old 6.9 or IDI 7.3l. lots more technology lots more heat all in the name of emissions, which funnily enough reduces fuel economy.

I suppose in a perfect world the engine might survive without the vents, but I doubt it would on a hot summer day in traffic, towing 19k. Also, look at it from a passenger comfort perspective.. less heat underhood is less heat through the firewall on a hot summer day.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For years we had the shitty, ill-fitting fiberglass hood on the SN95 mustangs, then Ford gives us a beautiful, perfect fitting razor-sharp aluminum hood, and people replace it with shitty, ill-fitting fiberglass junk, or at least put holes in it and get a stick on plastic non-functional box. How retarded is that? Shakers are of course exempt..

• 3 months later...