First generation Taurus dogtracking

Joe771476

Not a term i am used to, what is dogtracking?

Quick out of the gate, always chasing rabbits, only makes left turns (although that could be NASCARing)???? ;)

Rear wheels don't follow the path of the fronts...I've heard it called crab something or another, see it all the time on Pickups and other solid axle vehicles

http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...52/m/5366034325

most likely it's way out of alignment, and probably was wrecked and not repaired correctly. I've had several taurus's and never had any issue with that myself. I saw a towncar though that was having a really bad case of it on the fwy the otherday. It will wear out your tires really quick.

Rear wheels don't follow the path of the fronts...I've heard it called crab something or another, see it all the time on Pickups and other solid axle vehicles

http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...52/m/5366034325

I beleive it is a deliberate design so the rear wheels are not directly behind the fronts as this would cause hydroplaning galore in wet conditions...the rears would otherwise be DIRECTLY in the spray from the fronts....

It was an issue very very early on. Some cars came from the factory like that and there was a TSB on it if I remember correctly. The cars dog tracked (barely) but the the thrust centerline was fine so it did not affect tire wear or handling. Most owners would never even know unless some one told them. And it was likely to be corrected at the first 4 wheel alignment.

Definitely more of an issue on SRA RWD cars where the axle assembly is not easily adjusted. Especially the older 3 link units with the 9" ford were few techs knew how to correctly adjust the rear suspension to fix it. It does show up frequently on Hochkiss suspensioned vehicles especially the 9" ford rear ends. Mostly on vehicles that have been beat hard and had some thing knocked outta whack ie toe in-out, the stock 9" Ford housing was pretty flexible and it was not to hard to knock it out. Either way as long as it not excessive it can be corrected with aligning the vehicle to the thrust centerline. It looks goofy but does not affect tire wear or handling.

Matthew

Going with Tommyturbo on this one: Most modern cars will not dog-track noticeably unless they've been in a bad accident, and only then if the frame was damaged beyond repair, or was poorly repaired.

Guy I knew once test drove a car that dog tracked so badly, and was so poorly aligned that he took it to an empty parking lot, floored it, and it went in a huge circle with the steering wheel held steady.