Bring Back The Thunderbird (Mustang derived)

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-

Okay utb i give you credit for good photochop skills....

However it looks like a sad depressed fish that's ready to start floating belly up.... Also a strange mish-mash of lines and strange downright ugly side sculpture that looks like some fantasy kit car from the 1970's....

I do like the grille emblem...

Okay I am re-running the MessengerBird... Now that we are talking about roadsters again... It would look related to the Mustang without being a badged engineered sheetmetal sharing version of one. I would refine some details to make it more Tbird-like, but I do like the classic Bullet Bird nose and this really hints at how a modern version may work . It just needs a restyled grille intake that perhaps is not split in the center.

messengerbird.jpg

messengerbird2.jpg

Did these a while ago on another forum; what if Ford brought back the T-bird as a production version of the GR1 concept. Make the interior a bit more luxurious rather than race car like. It would replace the GT as the halo car. Think of it as Ford's DB9:

tbird-4abxkugtv.jpeg

Here is a roadster version:

tbirdroadster-4abxvs1gy.jpeg

Did these a while ago on another forum; what if Ford brought back the T-bird as a production version of the GR1 concept. Make the interior a bit more luxurious rather than race car like. It would replace the GT as the halo car. Think of it as Ford's DB9:

tbird-4abxkugtv.jpeg

It is such a shame they didn't build the GR1 as-is. Same for the Reflex for that matter. That Reflex was some car...

tbird-4abxkugtv.jpeg

I like where these chops are going!

tbird-4abxkugtv.jpeg

Those look great, I like them.

It is such a shame they didn't build the GR1 as-is. Same for the Reflex for that matter. That Reflex was some car...

I agree. I really liked the looks of both.

• 2 weeks later...

tbird-4abxkugtv.jpeg

WOW, THAT is seriously nice, very edgy and definitely looking like a Vette fighter.

I can see that translating into both Ford and Lincoln models.

• 3 months later...

I Personally Love the Four Seat Birds. I've Owned 8 In My Lifetime. From 64, 66, 84, 87, 89, and Including My Current 97. I Wish Ford Would Make The New Thunderbird On a Slightly Stretched Mustang Chassis Like the Fox Birds Were and Give it an Independent Rear Suspension, with a Retractable Hardtop Convertible as an Option. This Would In Turn Allow Lincoln to Resurrect the Mark Series, Unlike Everything they are sticking the Mark Name On Now.

post-13658-1222292521_thumb.jpg

Edited by TampaBear67

I Personally Love the Four Seat Birds. I've Owned 8 In My Lifetime. From 64, 66, 84, 87, 89, and Including My Current 97. I Wish Ford Would Make The New Thunderbird On a Slightly Stretched Mustang Chassis Like the Fox Birds Were and Give it an Independent Rear Suspension, with a Retractable Hardtop Convertible as an Option. This Would In Turn Allow Lincoln to Resurrect the Mark Series, Unlike Everything they are sticking the Mark Name On Now.

Check these out:

Valmet Thunderbird

208708.jpg

valmet_2003-Thunderbird_Glass_Roof_Concept-004_1.jpg

valmet_2003-Thunderbird_Glass_Roof_Concept-003_1.jpg

valmet_2003-Thunderbird_Glass_Roof_Concept-001_1.jpg

Lincoln Mark X

2004-Lincoln-Marx-X-Concept-lightning-bolts-1280x960.jpg

Check these out:

I Saw Those, and The Retractable Hard Top is Nice, But I Prefer the 4 Seat Birds. Being 6'4" Tall I Cannot Even Sit In The Last Birds. I Wish Ford Would Come Out With a 4 Seater Like the One I Designed. I Took Inspiration From the 58-66 Birds and Updated It Into a Modern Interpretation of What Ford Did Back in 58.

I Saw Those, and The Retractable Hard Top is Nice, But I Prefer the 4 Seat Birds. Being 6'4" Tall I Cannot Even Sit In The Last Birds. I Wish Ford Would Come Out With a 4 Seater Like the One I Designed. I Took Inspiration From the 58-66 Birds and Updated It Into a Modern Interpretation of What Ford Did Back in 58.

I feel ya, I'm 6' and not being able to comfortably fit in a 2 seater (with no space to recline the chair at least) is what kept me out of a Mazda Miata.

If Ford made exactly what I'd want, the next Thunderbird would be a 2+2, ala Porsche 911 style.

EDIT: If they did make it just a 2-seater, then at least they could have a small shelf area behind the seat for a little recline & storage space, like the Buick Reatta did.

Having an S197 Mustang, I can tell you that if you wanted comfortable 4 position seating, the Thunderbird would need an interior at least 2-3" longer than the current Mustang. If someone sits behind me, I gotta' scrunch. Being 6'4" and doing that would be no picnic!

Edited by joihan777

• 3 weeks later...
Everybody else is building T-Bird type cars why not Ford?

2010_maserati_spyder_spy_shots_008-0917-950x673.jpg

ferrari_california_interior_shots_004-1015-950x673.jpg

2009_ferrari_california_oct_08_009-1015-950x673.jpg

I'm sorry, but look at the cars in the pictures you posted......look at the brands those cars are, then compare their financial situation to Ford's and then you'll see why Ford isn't building a T-bird type car.

I'm sorry, but look at the cars in the pictures you posted......look at the brands those cars are, then compare their financial situation to Ford's and then you'll see why Ford isn't building a T-bird type car.

Then maybe Ford should do exciting cars like this in the future that people want buy then rather than cars people don't want to buy then they might find that their financial position might alter for the better.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Hey, I'm all for Ford building new Thunderbirds, Marks and anything else they wanna build....I'm just saying that any project like this should be put on hold until the rest of the lineup is in a nice solid place design/quality/etc.-wise before they spend resources building more sports cars.

Hey, I'm all for Ford building new Thunderbirds, Marks and anything else they wanna build....I'm just saying that any project like this should be put on hold until the rest of the lineup is in a nice solid place design/quality/etc.-wise before they spend resources building more sports cars.

I hear ya rmc523,

But lets say by 2010 the economy is no longer an issue. Lets say by 2010 the Stock Market is ~12k-15k. Lets say a lotta baby boomers are deciding to retire and want a quaint little celebratory car 'just for them'.

So by 2010, 2011 we have the potential for many sales of a smaller, more luxurious convertible (than a Mustang). The Volvo is nice but it isn't American enough and we probably won't have the Focus version of it either.

These retiring baby boomers and people who are financially stable would have to go elsewhere for a fun, luxurious 2-seater.

If Ford plans on capturing any of these sales, they need to have an offering ready to go but they will also need to have a 'street cred' reputation of reliability & safety. It will also have to take into account American's fatter butts, because the Mazda is just too small!

I think they are well on the way to re-establish themselves as a safe, reliable company.

So that means by 2011 they will need to have a decent roadster ready to go. Which means they should not try to sell one now but they should definitely try to co-engineer it along with a related, RWD vehicle (if possible).

So, to me, it makes sense for Ford to not sell a T-Bird today, but have a monster one ready in 3-4 years.

Edit: G*d Da*m that Maserati looks good!

Edited by joihan777