Bring Back The Thunderbird (Mustang derived)

Agreed.

I want a daily driver that doesn't take up a lotta room. I want a nice roadster that compares to the Mercedes SLK or the Corvette. I wouldn't mind it being a V-6, so long as it performed fairly well, say improving on the V-6 Mustang or so. I want a safe, taut ride with some gusto. And I want it American made and affordable. The Corvette was the everyman's sports car, but not any more! For Gosh's sake Ford don't repeat the mistake of the last retro-bird and overprice it!

With what I said above, I'd hope the chassis could take a Mod. V-8 so the Thinderbird can offer a 'GT' package that would be capable of taking on the Corvettes. And also offer a SVT version.

The Legend is there, Ford just needs to fill it in!

The T-Bird can and has been a lot of things. A 4 passenger coupe/convertible wouldn't be a bad thing again.

I agree with the last comment, that's what hurt the T-Bird and the LS....by not having the more potent (and modifiable) engines as the Mustang. Why have two classes of V8s? With the smaller one in the premium car?

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timm, that is beautiful. :shades:

In this instance the front vents work as they are reminiscent of the '55-'57's chevrons. They don't look tacked on.

I admit I am torn about the Thunderbird logo - or anything for that matter - by the C-Pillar. I am all about "less-is-more". I just really like how it was done on the '02 -05's with just the script on the sides and the Thunderbird on the front and back and no Blue Oval. But then again, this actually reminds me a lot of the Aerobirds, which I believe the '87-'88's had the bird by the C-Pillar so what the hell do I know.

There is such a market for this car. Ford could easily go in with something like this - or any of the other renderings posted here - and unseat Charger from it's market. Very frustrating. :banghead:

I agree with the last comment, that's what hurt the T-Bird and the LS....by not having the more potent (and modifiable) engines as the Mustang. Why have two classes of V8s? With the smaller one in the premium car?

I love my Thunderbird and it is not going anywhere. 5 years later I still get at least 2 compliments a week on it from total strangers.

However, the engine sucks. If the turbo had happened the way it was supposed to have, I would have bought it. A 3.9l was/is woefully underpowered for a car as heavy as it is. If anything, the 4.6l should have been standard which would not have cut into Mustang's sales.

But then again, I always owned Mustangs until the 'Bird so maybe my perspective is a bit whacked.

Edited by 96 Pony

The T-Bird can and has been a lot of things. A 4 passenger coupe/convertible wouldn't be a bad thing again.

I remember commercials where it seamed that Ford was bagging that the retro Thunderbirds weren't fast. there was a guy with his girl (fast car) lined up with the Thunderbird. Girl gets out, flags off the race and the fast car takes off. The slower Thunderbird then gets the girl.

You guys are coming up with some good ideas for a new T-bird. Does anyone know if ford is even considering bringing it back soon?

5 years later I still get at least 2 compliments a week on it from total strangers.

That statement, to me, is an essential element of what it takes to be a true Legend. I have yet to see a 02-05' retro-Bird in poor condition. Up here in the Sacramento area there a quite a few of them.

However, the engine sucks. If the turbo had happened the way it was supposed to have, I would have bought it. A 3.9l was/is woefully underpowered for a car as heavy as it is. If anything, the 4.6l should have been standard which would not have cut into Mustang's sales.

That's kinda why I hope the next Thunderbird has 2 distinct powerplants. A decent Duratec 35 that can get it to 60 in 6.5-7.0 secs and the mod V-8 that the GT trim level will get. SVT can then take it further with S/C V-8 or even TF V-8.

Hubba hubba!

Timm, that is beautiful. :shades:

I admit I am torn about the Thunderbird logo - or anything for that matter - by the C-Pillar. I am all about "less-is-more". I just really like how it was done on the '02 -05's with just the script on the sides and the Thunderbird on the front and back and no Blue Oval. But then again, this actually reminds me a lot of the Aerobirds, which I believe the '87-'88's had the bird by the C-Pillar so what the hell do I know.

I understand being torn about the C-pillar emblems. They look great without them but my personal choice is still to have them. I just like seeing the birds as mascots.

The original 1955-57 Tbirds didn't have bird emblems on the sides, just the Thunderbird script. On the 1955 model, the V8 emblem sort of resembles the Tbird emblem with the V-wings but it is actually a Y-shape of the block with an 8 inside a V.

The 1960 Tbird was the first to have the big bird emblem on the C-pillar. 1958 had a black circlular emblem with the V-bird inset while the 1959 used the V-bird without the circle.

From 1960 to 1972 the Thunderbird had the big bird on the C-pillars except models with the landau bars. From 1973-79 the birds were etched into the opera windows. 1980 returned the big C-pillar bird and it ran until 1988. 1989 did away with them completely because the BMW styled rear quarter windows were so big there was no place for them.

I am trying to verify if any of the 2002-05 models had the Tbird emblem etched in the porthole windows but I cannot find a clear enough picture at the moment.

I found this great pic of a 1960:

8305e.jpg

Did you all know that the rear of the 1958-60 Thunderbird was originally programmed as a fannylift for the 1957 model? There is a picture of a prototype using the 1957 bodystyle.

Here is a nice 1977!

tbird77_1.jpg

And a nice 1955!

BEST%20BODY.jpg

Edited by Watchdevil

I figure I would rerun the 427-style Tbird I made... I still like it.

In my ideal world this would have been the sucessive Tbird that should have been out about three years ago, and the MKR style would have been the follow-up in evolution...

427birdcoupeandconvertible.jpg

Right now I am sick to my stomach there is no new Tbirds to go buy. Buying a 02-05 isn't practical for me... I may end up in a new Mustang for a while possibly white with blue stripes until the day comes I can get a new Tbird fix...

Edited by Watchdevil

I figure I would rerun the 427-style Tbird I made... I still like it.

In my ideal world this would have been the sucessive Tbird that should have been out about three years ago, and the MKR style would have been the follow-up in evolution...

427birdcoupeandconvertible.jpg

Right now I am sick to my stomach there is no new Tbirds to go buy. Buying a 02-05 isn't practical for me... I may end up in a new Mustang for a while possibly white with blue stripes until the day comes I can get a new Tbird fix...

Not bad, I like it. To me it continues where the '89-'97(?) Thunderbird left off.

Here's a Better Idea: replace the next Taurus with a four-door coupe Thunderbird as Ford's top offering. The style should be like the Benz CLS or Jag XF but at a much lower price. Then, dump the Fusion name and return the Taurus name back where it belongs: as a mid-sized Camry killer built on the Fusion platform.

Yes, Yes, No, No.

T-Bird should be the top of line regardless of the # of doors.

It should match other premium cars at a lower price.

The Fusion is doing fairly well for a new model...I say keep it.

The Taurus has become a more tradional car and Avalon-ish.

Switching names again would be really confusing. With the future refresh of the Fusion and the Taurus I think thier positions will be more clear.

It probably needs just a "Thunderbird" script on the front or rear, and just a few emblems (C pillars, rear and front)...the current Mustang doesn't have it spelled out anywhere.

You fixed it! The bird emblem is the right size and scale on the C-pillar. It looks like this concept is appropriate for the 1985-97 style bird emblem since the taillamps have the same curved wing shapes...

I couldn't ask for a more beautiful Tbird if Ford made it like this... Seems like our collective thoughts are yielding a perfect Thunderbird in four seat form down to each detail.

I am thinking about the inerior now... It has to have that classic cockpit feel with a full length console that flows front front to between the back seats. I think the best examples of interiors to be inspired by are the 1958-66 models...

One thing I really like about the MKR was that it picked up a classic three spoke steering wheel design from the late 60's early 70's...

All I know is that the next Tbird interior needs to WOW with expressive design.

Edited by Watchdevil

One thing I really like about the MKR was that it picked up a classic three spoke steering wheel design from the late 60's early 70's...

All I know is that the next Tbird interior needs to WOW with expressive design.

Also, the interior MUST use high quality materials to give a true premium appearance and feel. A great example, IMO, is the interior of the new CTS. The wrapped upper portion of the IP is very nice and the rest of the interior is clean and intuitive.

Our dream 'Bird is really taking shape here. Maybe we should just submit a design to Ford and make it easy for them. LOL!

Also, the interior MUST use high quality materials to give a true premium appearance and feel. A great example, IMO, is the interior of the new CTS. The wrapped upper portion of the IP is very nice and the rest of the interior is clean and intuitive.

Our dream 'Bird is really taking shape here. Maybe we should just submit a design to Ford and make it easy for them. LOL!

Can't.

I already tried to suggest to them using a shortened Mustang chassis as a basis for a safe, comfortable 2-seater roadster with retracting hard-top, unique sheetmetal and an engine range of V6-V8-SCV8. They pretty much responded with something like "Thanks for your interest in Ford but we already have engineers with similar ideas so we don't accept outside suggestions on product development."

I think the only way to get some ear time is to buy a LOT of shares!

Can't.

I already tried to suggest to them using a shortened Mustang chassis as a basis for a safe, comfortable 2-seater roadster with retracting hard-top, unique sheetmetal and an engine range of V6-V8-SCV8. They pretty much responded with something like "Thanks for your interest in Ford but we already have engineers with similar ideas so we don't accept outside suggestions on product development."

I think the only way to get some ear time is to buy a LOT of shares!

Unfortunately, I understand the way it works. I just hope they have designers and engineers who see our ideas on the boards and try to run with them using their product development knowledge. I've seen a lot of crazy ideas on these message boards, but this seems like a slam dunk. Basically, the MKR design was just too good to be thrown away or abandoned. Simply grafting a simlar front end onto the MKS does not a flagship make. This design needs to evolve into a real Lincoln or a new T-Bird. Those are my thoughts.

I also wanted to make a comment based on what another poster added earlier in the thread....it is GREAT to have a good thread going where everyone is excited and nobody is arguing or name-calling.

I also wanted to make a comment based on what another poster added earlier in the thread....it is GREAT to have a good thread going where everyone is excited and nobody is arguing or name-calling.

I agree I hate it when a thread turns into a giant argument where everybody is arguing with each other

l_c003bd5884fd79db4f38f0a4517a015a.jpg

l_3a122696a348437afc40ab296494bc73.jpg

l_0ca27e58223e804a6970254bdb32d257.jpg

l_9046fc350cf9ce9c141daff63d6b81f6.jpg

l_cf1e29dcd94dd025105d90f86ef8b93b.jpg

Somewhere within all this DNA a new Thunderbird should come to be.

Dear Ford, I officially allow you to make me Thunderbird's first honorary test pilot!

Also, anybody remember the Buick Reatta? It was a bit conservative and perhaps

20 years ahead of its time, because it somehow still looks pretty good to me!

I bring it up as Buick is starting to create buzz about the Riviera, which the Reatta

shared the platform with. The nice thing about the Reatta is that there was 2ft behind

the seats to stow quick items or fully recline the seats (in the coupe version).

This feature is largely lacking in today's roadsters, which is why I'd settle for a 2+2 T-Bird.

l_a714ec8f2d982c835dd8177133996a3e.jpg

Edited by joihan777

l_c003bd5884fd79db4f38f0a4517a015a.jpg

l_3a122696a348437afc40ab296494bc73.jpg

l_0ca27e58223e804a6970254bdb32d257.jpg

l_9046fc350cf9ce9c141daff63d6b81f6.jpg

l_cf1e29dcd94dd025105d90f86ef8b93b.jpg

Somewhere within all this DNA a new Thunderbird should come to be.

Dear Ford, I officially allow you to make me Thunderbird's first honorary test pilot!

Also, anybody remember the Buick Reatta? It was a bit conservative and perhaps

20 years ahead of its time, because it somehow still looks pretty good to me!

I bring it up as Buick is starting to create buzz about the Riviera, which the Reatta

shared the platform with. The nice thing about the Reatta is that there was 2ft behind

the seats to stow quick items or fully recline the seats (in the coupe version).

This feature is largely lacking in today's roadsters, which is why I'd settle for a 2+2 T-Bird.

l_a714ec8f2d982c835dd8177133996a3e.jpg

Hey, for all we know, a new Thunderbird is already under development.

Basically, the MKR design was just too good to be thrown away or abandoned. Simply grafting a simlar front end onto the MKS does not a flagship make. This design needs to evolve into a real Lincoln or a new T-Bird.

No. A new Lincoln and a T-Bird. Curvy as hell for the Lincoln, more slab-sided (like Watchdevil's design) for the T-Bird.

(argumentative enough for you guys, or too over-the-top? :D)