Bring Back The Thunderbird (Mustang derived)

I am just studying the similarity of the Iosis front end compared to the 1983-86 and 1996-97 versions. Of course my 1989 was modified with a Cougar front bumper cover with it's chrome hood molding and without it's waterfall grille...

22459.jpg

These are my actual former Tbirds:

85bird0.jpg

I loved this nose!

89bird1.jpg

I fabricated the grille insert using the lower air intake grille from an Audi TT and putting the actual 1996-97 Tbird emblem in the center.

Lately I have been very horny for another Thunderbird...

Edited by Watchdevil

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thunderbirdconcept4webjtb7.jpg

:shades: :shades: :shades:

Congrats on a beautiful photoshop.

The tiniest, most minuscule change I would make is getting rid of the T-Bird emblems by the C. That's just my thing. Part of the reason I liked the '02-'05's so much. Only 2 Thunderbird emblems and the script - no Blue Oval. Just sort of spoke for themselves.

Re: the Bunkie Beak - I dunno. It was sort of a joke back in 69 - 70 so don't know if that is a good styling cue. That and it was lifted off off Pontiac. I love the photoshops - especially with the '67-'68, '77 - '82 hidden headlights. Maybe more of a '67 front end would be better?

Although the '97 nose I loved! So another option I guess.

I'd also like to see the cyclone color keyed wheels from the '78-'79's back, but I guess that is a little old fashioned?

Nice to see people as eager to see the return of the Thunderbird as I am. :shades:

Edited by 96 Pony

:shades: :shades: :shades:

Re: the Bunkie Beak - I dunno. It was sort of a joke back in 69 - 70 so don't know if that is a good styling cue. That and it was lifted off off Pontiac. I love the photoshops - especially with the '67-'68, '77 - '82 hidden headlights. Maybe more of a '67 front end would be better?

It was for the 70-71 model year. The "joke" was that Bunkie was hired away from GM (at large expense, pissing off Iaccoa a lot, but Bunkie didn't last for long) and he grafted on an unnecessary "beak" to the clean looking front end from the 67-69 Thunderbird. It was excessive and prone to damage easily.

The idea was good (a Bird with a beak), but the execution was over the top. So I kept it as subtle as possible.

Here's a slightly more agressive treatment with a more conventional hood.

post-19198-1196804572_thumb.jpg

Edited by timmm55

It was for the 70-71 model year. The "joke" was that Bunkie was hired away from GM (at large expense, pissing off Iaccoa a lot, but Bunkie didn't last for long) and he grafted on an unnecessary "beak" to the clean looking front end from the 67-69 Thunderbird. It was excessive and prone to damage easily.

The idea was good (a Bird with a beak), but the execution was over the top. So I kept it as subtle as possible.

Ugh! You are right. It was '70-'71. My bad.

My issue with the Bunkie Beak is that he brought it over from Pontiac, so I don't consider it a true Thunderbird styling trend. In hind site if the '67 had been originally designed with a beak then it might be a little more acceptable. As it is, it became a joke because Bunkie was hired over from GM.

That and he also beacked the Montego at the time. So no real exclusive style trend -

merc7001.jpg

Nothing wrong with your renderings - they are great! Wouldn't say I wouldn't buy one with a beak.

Edited by 96 Pony

My issue with the Bunkie Beak is that he brought it over from Pontiac, so I don't consider it a true Thunderbird styling trend. In hind site if the '67 had been originally designed with a beak then it might be a little more acceptable. As it is, it became a joke because Bunkie was hired over from GM.

That and he also beacked the Montego at the time. So no real exclusive style trend -

Well, IMHO the Pontiacs, from around 1961 had a split grill with a nose in chrome, body color paint or Endura. FOMOCO had defined center grills dating back to the 58 Edsel. 68 Montego's had a center grill, the 69/70 LTD/XL had a center grill, the 71-2 Cyclone had a center gun sight grill.

The closest to being "Pontiac-ish" would be the 67-8 Cougar (body colored split center) but it was broader.

I think the "Bunkie Beak" was much ado about nothing. If he hadn't come over from GM at that time no one would have said squat about it. The design influence wasn't just at GM or Ford....just look at the 1953 Studebaker Starliner.

That one looks very good! Excellent job! I love how the beak is worked in yet the entire grille opening is suggestive of an entire bird emblem itself.

I have to agree because there is no large enough area in the quarter panels behind the quarter windows that there should probably be no bird emblems there. It works on a concept that has thick C pillars like the 427 Concept Tbird I did.

1977-79 had nice turbine wheels as an option. Those wheels lived on being used on later model Town Cars but with a large center cap covering the lug nuts. I like the wheels used on the Mercury Messenger which are turbine style.

Mustang Mach I Magnum 500 style wheels would be nice to use as well. I don't think they were used on the Thunderbird ever as a factory option but all the Torinos, LTD II's, Montegos and Cougars of the day used them.

merc7001.jpg

Nothing wrong with your renderings - they are great! Wouldn't say I wouldn't buy one with a beak.

All the Montego fastbacks were nice looking cars...

Looking at my history books on Tbird design, they did a lot of proposals in the early 1970's of Torino based Tbirds. Most of them looked like formalized Monetgo or Torino fastbacks. It eventually came to fruit with the 1977 Thunderbird. By then they had also designed a Fairmont based Tbird which they ended up calling the Futura.

I alwas thought it would be fun to make a Tbird Ranchero. Many years ago I almost made that happen. I always thought it would be interesting as well to take the 1977-79 Tbird nose and graft it to a 1972-73 Montego Fastback and have it be a phantom bodystyle. The interchangability of front end parts was extensive from 1977-79 on all the mid-sized Fords with each other and pre-1977 Elites, Montegos and Cougars.

Edited by Watchdevil

Well, IMHO the Pontiacs, from around 1961 had a split grill with a nose in chrome, body color paint or Endura. FOMOCO had defined center grills dating back to the 58 Edsel. 68 Montego's had a center grill, the 69/70 LTD/XL had a center grill, the 71-2 Cyclone had a center gun sight grill.

The closest to being "Pontiac-ish" would be the 67-8 Cougar (body colored split center) but it was broader.

I think the "Bunkie Beak" was much ado about nothing. If he hadn't come over from GM at that time no one would have said squat about it. The design influence wasn't just at GM or Ford....just look at the 1953 Studebaker Starliner.

LTD's and Galaxies had the beak grilles through 1972. The look was disrupted when they started hanging those big bumpers on them starting in 1973.

I was okay with this rendering until I ran an errend and passed by the Mitsubishi dealership this morning:

mitsubishi_galant_de_2008_440x220.jpg

It does however look like it lifted the grille and hood design right off the 1970 Tbird.

Edited by Watchdevil

I was okay with this rendering until I ran an errend and passed by the Mitsubishi dealership this morning:

It does however look like it lifted the grille and hood design right off the 1970 Tbird.

There's a passing resemblance. For one, it isn't a "V" and two, it doesn't have a beak. And the execution is different. More of a "smile" than a bird like winged V.

Here's an older (?) Galant (same generation) that looks like a Pontiac GTO/G6 copy.

post-19198-1196884261_thumb.jpg

LTD's and Galaxies had the beak grilles through 1972. The look was disrupted when they started hanging those big bumpers on them starting in 1973.

Yep, but that's post-Bunkie period. And the arguement was that he brought the styling influence from GM/Pontiac. It was around well before (and of course after).

I always liked the fog/driving lights in the T-Bird/Cyclone...........a little less bling on the ®

It's actually quite interesting how many different Fords and Mercuries in the late 60's and early 70's used those parkinglamps horizontally or vertically situated in grilles and in lower valance panels.

My friend and I just got back from driving through the local Ford dealer. We got stopped by a salesperson who was admiring my friend's GTI. The salesperson asked what my friend was interested in looking at and he said a new Thunderbird. The salesperson said he could get one then we busted him telling him they no longer make them. My friend told him there was nothing he was interested in that would get him out of his GTI unless they came out with a new Thunderbird.

Anyway we noticed they finally got some Focus coupes and checking them out they were really unexciting and left us totally numb. I have been considering a new Mustang but I think I will wait until the restyle for 09 or maybe wait long enough to see if the make us a new 'Bird..

My friend and I just got back from driving through the local Ford dealer. We got stopped by a salesperson who was admiring my friend's GTI. The salesperson asked what my friend was interested in looking at and he said a new Thunderbird. The salesperson said he could get one then we busted him telling him they no longer make them. My friend told him there was nothing he was interested in that would get him out of his GTI unless they came out with a new Thunderbird.

Anyway we noticed they finally got some Focus coupes and checking them out they were really unexciting and left us totally numb. I have been considering a new Mustang but I think I will wait until the restyle for 09 or maybe wait long enough to see if the make us a new 'Bird..

I can see Ford waiting to release a new Thunderbird 2 years after the Mustang refresh. That's so one wouldn't steal the spotlight from the other.

I can see Ford waiting to release a new Thunderbird 2 years after the Mustang refresh. That's so one wouldn't steal the spotlight from the other.

That's the main delay with a new Thunderbird, aside from the cash crunch. Ford has been waiting for the GRWD platform before even considering a new Thunderbird, as well as a whole host of new RWD vehicles (MKR and Cougar, namely). There was a new Thunderbird and Lincoln LS in development for MY2006, but they ran into too many problems with the Mustang's modified DEW98 platform. Now, they get a clean-sheet design to work from.

Currently, the priority vehicles for the GRWD platform is the Falcon Range, the Mustang, and Panther/D3 replacements. I could definitely see a new Thunderbird being a hybrid of the new RWD Taurus and the Mustang. Once Ford returns to profitability, I wouldn't expect them to wait too long before bringing it back.

The back of the MKR is just scary... definitely a sign from Ford Design that the Thunderbird is alive somewhere in there.

That's the main delay with a new Thunderbird, aside from the cash crunch. Ford has been waiting for the GRWD platform before even considering a new Thunderbird, as well as a whole host of new RWD vehicles (MKR and Cougar, namely). There was a new Thunderbird and Lincoln LS in development for MY2006, but they ran into too many problems with the Mustang's modified DEW98 platform. Now, they get a clean-sheet design to work from.

Currently, the priority vehicles for the GRWD platform is the Falcon Range, the Mustang, and Panther/D3 replacements. I could definitely see a new Thunderbird being a hybrid of the new RWD Taurus and the Mustang. Once Ford returns to profitability, I wouldn't expect them to wait too long before bringing it back.

The back of the MKR is just scary... definitely a sign from Ford Design that the Thunderbird is alive somewhere in there.

I definitely see the necessity of making the Mustang a priority and not have a revived Thunderbird steal the spotlight. The new Tbird will come at the right time with the new RWD platform.

I just don't think it's mere coincidence that the taillamps of the MKR are the shape of the Tbird emblem. I take it as an omen that the Thunderbird is alive and well wih the thoughts of designers. The Thunderbird was given new life before with the Lincoln Continental Concept 100 Aero Luxury Coupe being quickly modified into a Tbird for a styling clinic. As a result the 1983 Aerobird was born. I can see this happening again and I believe in order to justify the MKR, they are going to need a platform and body mate. It's hard to ignore the heritage and recognition of the Thunderbird legacy. Just as Ford has done before they will determine who today's Thunderbird buyers will be and what form the next one will take.

I am torn about the number of doors too. There is at least some legitimacy of the Thunderbird using four doors like the late 60's models did. Those four door birds are quite interesting and collectable. They are very distinctive and beautiful to me and it doesn't seem to matter that it has four doors.

Personally, I'd like 4 doors. I get a lot of comments on the suicide doors of my '69 Thunderbird. We bought a '06 Charger and enjoy the four doors. Don't have to get out to let a passenger out of back seat. With today's tight parking spots, it's just easier to get in or out of the car.

Personally, I'd like 4 doors. I get a lot of comments on the suicide doors of my '69 Thunderbird. We bought a '06 Charger and enjoy the four doors. Don't have to get out to let a passenger out of back seat. With today's tight parking spots, it's just easier to get in or out of the car.

I wish Ford brought back a "Personal Luxury Car" call it a Thunderbird or not.

It'd be my preference for Ford to make the "personal Luxury Car"a 2-seat roadster with a V-6, 0-60 ~6secs., a folding hard top and top-notch safety design/ratings.... with style.

However I'd settle for a Porsche 911 (2+2) style 4-seater. If it HAD to have 4 seats, then suicide mini doors for the back would be cool. It was cool on the RX-8!

Edited by joihan777

If the style is right I don't mind four doors. They way the MKR is designed it is very coupe-like the same way the 4door Tbird was in the late 60's. If the only way we can get a new Tbird is four doors then I am still all over it.

My homage to my '85 Thunderbird TurboCoupe. I know it's not the best, though I'd like to read your comments?

thunderbirdconceptfronttn7.jpg

By rrsportsc1 at 2007-12-08

Looks nice in black but I am not loving the front end detailing. For me it's suffering from the same generic Acura look the MKS had before it got facelifted at the last minute.

I appreciate you guys keep trying. I am enjoying this thread very much.