08 Mustangs In

FordBuyer

Generally speaking, better than Ford's modular V8s despite larger displacement. They have a 6 spd manual transmission option, plus skip-shift (MOST ANNOYING THING EVER). That helped MPG ratings a lot.

GM is also using the displacement on demand technology, although I'm not sure if the vette has it. At any rate, at highway speeds it really helps improve the mpg of their V8 powered cars like the Impala, Lucern, Grand Prix, Monte Carlo and like that. I believe their 1/2 ton pickups are equipped with it as well.

GM is also using the displacement on demand technology, although I'm not sure if the vette has it. At any rate, at highway speeds it really helps improve the mpg of their V8 powered cars like the Impala, Lucern, Grand Prix, Monte Carlo and like that. I believe their 1/2 ton pickups are equipped with it as well.

I have no idea why Ford hasn't adopted that technology yet. Ford already HAD it on the MOD motors years ago in the trucks that would disable one bank of cylinders if the engine started to overheat. It was only a hop and a skip from that to cylinder deactivation on the highway.

I make no claim to be an expert on displacement on demand or why Ford has not used it.

Everything I read says the GM's have quite a hesitiation when you get on the gas goin back from 4-8 cylinders. For the sedans that may not be an issue, How many Mustang buyers/drivers would trade a couple MPGS for right now throttle response? Not to many I would imagine. iI know how myself and my sons feel. If we gas mileage were not driving a Mustang Gt.

Could this be a case of Ford knowing what the buyer wants? We all know how the Corvette buyers hated the skip gears etc etc...

I make no claim to be an expert on displacement on demand or why Ford has not used it.

Everything I read says the GM's have quite a hesitiation when you get on the gas goin back from 4-8 cylinders. For the sedans that may not be an issue, How many Mustang buyers/drivers would trade a couple MPGS for right now throttle response? Not to many I would imagine. iI know how myself and my sons feel. If we gas mileage were not driving a Mustang Gt.

Could this be a case of Ford knowing what the buyer wants? We all know how the Corvette buyers hated the skip gears etc etc...

For those who hated skip-shift, it was easy and cheap to eliminate. Ford NEEDS to lower their CAFE. Displacement-on-Demand is a proven way to do that to some extent. How often is it necessary to have IMMEDIATE throttle response while you're doing 65 mph on the highway? Rarely, if ever. Would some people want it? Sure. Would they need it? Not likely. It would likely help the Mustang more if they simply used a different transmission with a ridiculously tall 6th gear. The 2nd OD in the F-body 6-speeds was 0.50:1. Top gear in all recent Mustangs (even those with 6 speeds) is between 0.62-0.68:1. No wonder they get worse highway fuel economy.

For those who hated skip-shift, it was easy and cheap to eliminate. Ford NEEDS to lower their CAFE. Displacement-on-Demand is a proven way to do that to some extent. How often is it necessary to have IMMEDIATE throttle response while you're doing 65 mph on the highway? Rarely, if ever. Would some people want it? Sure. Would they need it? Not likely. It would likely help the Mustang more if they simply used a different transmission with a ridiculously tall 6th gear. The 2nd OD in the F-body 6-speeds was 0.50:1. Top gear in all recent Mustangs (even those with 6 speeds) is between 0.62-0.68:1. No wonder they get worse highway fuel economy.

From what I have heard DOD only works between 50 and 60 and so it does very little as most people travel above that.

From what I have heard DOD only works between 50 and 60 and so it does very little as most people travel above that.

You heard wrong. I've been in a few GM vehicles where the DOD light comes on well above 65. GM's system seems pretty finicky though. It flips off and on very easily with the slightest tap from the throttle. It should be a little less sensitive to driver input during cruising.

You heard wrong. I've been in a few GM vehicles where the DOD light comes on well above 65. GM's system seems pretty finicky though. It flips off and on very easily with the slightest tap from the throttle. It should be a little less sensitive to driver input during cruising.

I believe that on the Chrysler Canada website it states...somewhere...that their DOD works only to 97 kmh....or 60...maybe gm is different.

It's not really fair to compare the Mustang to the Corvette.

What sort of milage were LS1 F Bodys getting?

I have an '04 5 speed Mustang Mach I and an '06 6 speed GTO, both are bone stock. Mach averages 24 MPG on the highway and 18 to work. The GTO get's 26 MPG highway and 20 to work even though it weighs more and has almost 100 HP on the Mach. I wish the Mach had a 6 speed, I find myself wanting to put it into another gear when on the highway.