Ford Flex Power

Jamers

Just curious if anyone has discussed what engine Ford will install in the Flex? If I had to guess I'd say it would be the new 3.7 L V6 Duratec engine they plan to debut in the Lincoln. If Ford puts in the 5.4 L V8 then that kind of defeats the purpose of this thing being a CUV not to mention it would seem more like a lower Expedition.

Just curious if anyone has discussed what engine Ford will install in the Flex? If I had to guess I'd say it would be the new 3.7 L V6 Duratec engine they plan to debut in the Lincoln. If Ford puts in the 5.4 L V8 then that kind of defeats the purpose of this thing being a CUV not to mention it would seem more like a lower Expedition.

no it will have the 3.5l ... no cars with Ford or Mercury badge will have a 3.7l V6 .. the Mustang and trucks might, but these will be tuned differently, and likely will lack DI..

the 3.5l might get some more tech, including dual exhaust by next summer though,

According to fordvehicles.com, it will be a 260 HP version of the Duratec35. There are rumors that it may also odder a TwinForce D35 as well.

The 3.5L V6 260 hp would seem a bit insufficient for this size vehicle. The 3.7L seems like a much better fit. Unless they can somehow keep the weight very close to that of the Ford Edge. I thought Ford would have learned their lesson by now with the 3.0L in the 2005-07 Five Hundred.

The 3.5L V6 260 hp would seem a bit insufficient for this size vehicle. The 3.7L seems like a much better fit. Unless they can somehow keep the weight very close to that of the Ford Edge. I thought Ford would have learned their lesson by now with the 3.0L in the 2005-07 Five Hundred.

ehm .. all of Flex' competitors use 3.5l 250-270hp engines .. With simple additions of VVT, DIVVT, dual exhaust, DI or even a simple Premium tune, the engine can gain considerable power. the 3.7l is Lincoln and Mazda specific displacement (Mazda decided to develop its own 3.7l separate from Ford's 3.7l)

Igor

the 3.7l is Lincoln and Mazda specific displacement (Mazda decided to develop its own 3.7l separate from Ford's 3.7l)

I don't see how Ford is letting Mazda have the 3.7. Would you rather have a 3.0 Fusion (Even with PIP), or a 3.7 Mazda6? Would you rather have a CX-9 w/ 3.7 or a FLEX with the 3.5? You know there will be comparissions and it will not be done in such a way to reflect positively on Ford (It's the nature of the press)...

and presumably much better mileage ... all along Blue II has been saying that the PIP was about mileage .. it does better than the D35..

Igor

If it's only 1-2 mpg better than the 3.5, Ford can suck it. I don't see it being much better than that.

If Ford wanted to make a splash, they should just offer up both V6's. Let the fuel misers opt for the PIP 3.0 and let those of us who actually don't CARE about spending 3 dollars more to fill up get the more powerful 3.5. It CAN'T be hard to do. All of the tooling already exists.

Edited by NickF1011

If it's only 1-2 mpg better than the 3.5, Ford can suck it. I don't see it being much better than that.

If Ford wanted to make a splash, they should just offer up both V6's. Let the fuel misers opt for the PIP 3.0 and let those of us who actually don't CARE about spending 3 dollars more to fill up get the more powerful 3.5. It CAN'T be hard to do. All of the tooling already exists.

yeah - I know - I am skeptical of the PIP D30 .. I just remain hopeful until proven otherwise :D

I guess that is my nature :D

but I agree - the PIP D30 better top Camry's V6 by 2 mpg, or Ford can go blow powdered sugar. I am sort of hopeful of the TF 2.5l I4 .. if it has the power on the level of all competition 270 hp, and yet tops them in mileage, Ford could be perfectly dandy even with a mediocre V6 in the middle ... but as I said in my piece in Autosavant - The history shows Ford has never had a truly successful FE oriented turbo engine .. so until the numbers are released by EPA and Ford - I Will remain skeptical of that.

Igor