waymondospiff

Model - Jul 2007 --- Jul 2006

Fusion - 9,347 2007 ---13,612 2006

Milan - 2,225 2007 --- 3,490 2006

Malibu - 9,317 2007 --- 17,662 2006

G6 - 12,507 2007 --- 17,516 2006

Aura - 5,827 2007 --- 1 2006

Sebring - 5,515 2007 --- 1,205 2006

Avenger - 4,213 2007 --- 0 2006 (Stratus - 630 2006)

Accord - 37,142 2007 --- 38,043 2006

Camry - 41,514 2007 --- 41,892 2006

Legacy - 6,322 2007 (4,338 of which are Outbacks) --- unknown 2006

Mazda6 - 3,672 2007 --- 6,192 2006

Sonata - 14,802 2007 --- 14,039 2006

Optima - 4,196 2007 --- 2,496 2006

Altima - 24,464 2007 --- 17,669 2006

1. Camry, 2. Accord, 3. Altima, 4. Sonata, 5. G6, 6. Fusion, 7. Malibu, 8. Legacy, 9. Aura, and 10. Sebring.

Scott

The Camry posted a decline WOW.

Unfortunately, it looks like last month wasn't the best sales month for some. :unsure:

Fusion sales down 4k units? not good. I haven't seen a commercial for the Fusion in some time, though. Ford, the products need constant advertising!

Edited by rmc523

Fusion sales down 4k units? not good. I haven't seen a commercial for the Fusion in some time, though. Ford, the products need constant advertising!

And sales are down with the 2007 addition of AWD, which I thought would drive some sales. Perhaps the engines are proving to be achilles' heels to the CD3s. Noisy, less powerful, and less efficient than the "top tier" competition. Change the powertrains and swap in a better interior (The current one is okay, but it's far from the class leading Camry or Accord for materials & style.) and maybe we'd see some better sales figures.

Whatever is needed, the Fusion needs to turn better numbers than 10K/month. And the competition only gets better and better - the new Accord is rolling this fall.

Scott

30 second TV spots are a waste of time. I think it's misinformed to blame the low Fusion sales on the lack of TV commercials. Commericals are when people get up to take a piss and refill their drink. Either that or they start channel surfing. When a customer gets serious about buying a new car you are looking at the place they'll go to find advertising and information about it anymore. They will go to Ford.com or any one of a number of websites that offer reviews and stats about the various models of car they are interested in. Second to that is probably periodicals and finally they'll just drop by the local car lots and take a look see for themselves. TV spots in today's day and age are so far removed from the customer and there are so many other more effective forms of advertising that I'm not surprised at all Ford doesn't run that many of them. When was the last time you saw a commercial for a Camry or an Accord? The only Altima commercial I've seen of late is for the coupe.

And sales are down with the 2007 addition of AWD, which I thought would drive some sales. Perhaps the engines are proving to be achilles' heels to the CD3s. Noisy, less powerful, and less efficient than the "top tier" competition. Change the powertrains and swap in a better interior (The current one is okay, but it's far from the class leading Camry or Accord for materials & style.) and maybe we'd see some better sales figures.

Whatever is needed, the Fusion needs to turn better numbers than 10K/month. And the competition only gets better and better - the new Accord is rolling this fall.

Scott

Yup, interior, read end, and engines..

I like how the high end versions of the Fusion look, it just has a "cheap" look to it, all that chrome, especially the taillights. If they could reduce the beak look the front end has, get rid of all the cheap plastic chrome, give it some nicer taillights, an interior similar to the Flex, and the 3.5 I bet sales would double.

Yup, interior, read end, and engines..

I like how the high end versions of the Fusion look, it just has a "cheap" look to it, all that chrome, especially the taillights. If they could reduce the beak look the front end has, get rid of all the cheap plastic chrome, give it some nicer taillights, an interior similar to the Flex, and the 3.5 I bet sales would double.

Well, we have two updates for the Fusion in the near future. One is the MY2009 refresh of sorts. All-new sheetmetal (except for doors and greenhouse) is in the cards. The Mexican renderings posted are pretty much spot on, though obviously a little less weird looking. For the interior, I suspect the changes will be new gauges and an all-new center stack with richer detailing on both counts. Engines are the biggest change, and we've pretty much confirmed FOUR engines. 190hp 2.5L I4, 240hp 3.0L V6, 260+hp Twin Force I4, and the long-awaited hybrid model.

I still for the life of me can not understand why CD3 sales aren't doing any better than what they are.

It aint the interior, because lets face it when you get in an Accord or Camry you aren't suddendly transported into tactile bliss.

I doubt the engines are the cause.

It aint quality. Judging from JD Powers, the 18K miles of worry free driving and the lack of any Fusion in the service bay whenever I take mine in for scheduled maint.

The only thing that I could see turning potential buyers off is the lack of AdvanceTrac. It goes without saying the vehicle could use a few tweaks, but for the most part I am very happy with this vehicle.....and I plan on driving it to the wheels fall off.

Edited by Michael Reynolds

The only thing that I could see turning potential buyers off is the lack of AdvanceTrac. It goes without saying the vehicle could use a few tweaks, but for the most part I am very happy with this vehicle.....and I plan on driving it to the wheels fall off.

They can't add AdvanceTrac to the Fusion, the ABS system in the car is a 3-channel one.

I still for the life of me can not understand why CD3 sales aren't doing any better than what they are.

It aint the interior, because lets face it when you get in an Accord or Camry you aren't suddendly transported into tactile bliss.

I doubt the engines are the cause.

It aint quality. Judging from JD Powers, the 18K miles of worry free driving and the lack of any Fusion in the service bay whenever I take mine in for scheduled maint.

I'm going to keep saying this until I'm blue in the face. CD3 sales SEEM to be low, when you consider they're just as good as their competition. Quality of product (on ALL levels) is only a small part of how well or badly a vehicle sells. The Fusion nameplate in North American simply did not exist 3 years ago. Very few people know about it, and even if they did, they don't know how reliable or good they are. So, they stick with proven names like Camry, Accord, and Altima. The Ford name hasn't been associated with quality midsized sedans in nearly 10 years. Once the Fusion has been out for a couple of generations, sales will pick up as people hear about how reliable, good-looking, and fun to drive they are from their friends, family, and co-workers.

A prime example of how quality product has little to do with sales was General Motors in the 1980s. They were producing absolute crap, yet people kept buying them, because they had enjoyed quality, good-looking, and reliable cars in the 1960's and 1970's, and knew tons of people who had similar good experiences with their cars. However, as they got burned by poor reliablilty and cars that literally fell apart, they got angry, and considered alternatives. Hence, why the General fell so far and so fast. Ford and GM are slowly working their way back, and sales will begin their climb back as the good reputation their cars are developing infects the import-biased mainstream. They won't come back as fast as Toyota rose to power, but things will eventually balance out.

As I've asked in another thread, AMUSE me, and tell me a vehicle that sold like gangbusters the first generation it was out. It RARELY happened in the past, and cannot happen now, with such fierce competition.

Edited by wescoent

Along with the above post, Ford could push every fusion with the best engines in the market, a striking interior, and even more agressive styling, and they'd get maybe a 5% sales gain. Thye are trying to rebuild a corporate reputation that they squandered at the turn of the century. As long as they are able to keep Hermisillo at least 80% of full capacity, then the cars are doing the job for them. We've all said this time and again, there is no magical quick fix for Ford. They burned WAY too many bridges in the past. They've got to start the drumbeat for top teir quality, reliability, dealership experience, and value. Its going to take YEARS to get this into people's heads.

But, it will take constant advertising of these facts. They need to run constant small spots trumpeting quality awards and comparison wins that they get to get it into people's minds that they aren't building the same old junk. If you look at the recent group of updaes that they've done, they've done a decent job of making the vehicles look different while keeping the mechanicals the same with only refinements and quality improvmeents. This allows them to economically release preceived new vehicles with proven components. This will allow them to further increase their reliability ratings.

The Fusion nameplate in North American simply did not exist 3 years ago. Very few people know about it, and even if they did, they don't know how reliable or good they are. So, they stick with proven names like Camry, Accord, and Altima. The Ford name hasn't been associated with quality midsized sedans in nearly 10 years. Once the Fusion has been out for a couple of generations, sales will pick up as people hear about how reliable, good-looking, and fun to drive they are from their friends, family, and co-workers.

I agree. I have had a Fusion for a little over a year. When people are in or around the car, this is what I hear:

-"Oh, it's a Ford?!"

-"Is this a Ford Five Hundred?" (Figure that one out)

-"I like your Focus."

My Fusion is called a Focus all the time and I assume that's because the Focus name has been around for a lot longer and people "know" it. Once the Fusion has been on the streets a bit longer, continues to win recognition for quality, and (hopefully) gets in the competitive game, sales will increase and be a little more sustained. But none of that will happen overnight.

Along with the above post, Ford could push every fusion with the best engines in the market, a striking interior, and even more agressive styling, and they'd get maybe a 5% sales gain. Thye are trying to rebuild a corporate reputation that they squandered at the turn of the century. As long as they are able to keep Hermisillo at least 80% of full capacity, then the cars are doing the job for them. We've all said this time and again, there is no magical quick fix for Ford. They burned WAY too many bridges in the past. They've got to start the drumbeat for top teir quality, reliability, dealership experience, and value. Its going to take YEARS to get this into people's heads.

But, it will take constant advertising of these facts. They need to run constant small spots trumpeting quality awards and comparison wins that they get to get it into people's minds that they aren't building the same old junk. If you look at the recent group of updaes that they've done, they've done a decent job of making the vehicles look different while keeping the mechanicals the same with only refinements and quality improvmeents. This allows them to economically release preceived new vehicles with proven components. This will allow them to further increase their reliability ratings.

I'm willing to bet that at least 80% of Fusion buyers are current Ford customers. The Fusion has a great conquest rate, but I doubt they are coming from dyed in the wool import owners. Ford's strategy with this car is pretty simple. There are MILLIONS of people who own F-Series, Explorer, and Mustang, and love their vehicles to death. However, when it comes time to buy a midsized sedan, Ford wasn't really offering anything. These people are going to Ford dealers anyway, say, while Mom's Explorer was getting its oil changed, and Dad happened to be in the market for a midsized sedan, since his 1998 Camry's 4-cylinder was starting to sound like a tractor engine. While waiting, he checked out the Fusion, and was so impressed by it, he bought it. Or let's say some twenty-something girl was trading in her V6 Mustang for a new one, but was also considering an Accord or Jetta. She sees the Fusion, and figures since it drives like her Mustang, and looks pretty hot, she'll buy it instead.

As these people tell their friends about this cool new Ford that drives and looks great, and amazingly has gone 75,000 miles without ANY problems, they too will check out the Fusion when their old Accord or Camry starts to feel dated. And if it's their style, they'll go for it.

30 second TV spots are a waste of time. I think it's misinformed to blame the low Fusion sales on the lack of TV commercials. Commericals are when people get up to take a piss and refill their drink. Either that or they start channel surfing. When a customer gets serious about buying a new car you are looking at the place they'll go to find advertising and information about it anymore. They will go to Ford.com or any one of a number of websites that offer reviews and stats about the various models of car they are interested in. Second to that is probably periodicals and finally they'll just drop by the local car lots and take a look see for themselves. TV spots in today's day and age are so far removed from the customer and there are so many other more effective forms of advertising that I'm not surprised at all Ford doesn't run that many of them. When was the last time you saw a commercial for a Camry or an Accord? The only Altima commercial I've seen of late is for the coupe.

You bring up a good point.

I agree. I have had a Fusion for a little over a year. When people are in or around the car, this is what I hear:

-"Oh, it's a Ford?!"

You must talk to some of the few people who actually know what a Five Hundred is. :lol2:

The blue oval stickers on the grille and the trunk are a good reason for most buyers.

True.

Then again most people don't know what the hell it is. The Ford logo and all, and I've still had more than one person ask me if it was a newer Honda. I've also fielded Focus and Five Hundred comments as well, having said that I have had more people approach me when driving that car than I have the Audi and Infiniti.

-"Oh, it's a Ford?!"

-"I like your Focus."

My Fusion is called a Focus all the time and I assume that's because the Focus name has been around for a lot longer and people "know" it. Once the Fusion has been on the streets a bit longer, continues to win recognition for quality, and (hopefully) gets in the competitive game, sales will increase and be a little more sustained. But none of that will happen overnight.

If Ford played the cards right in the first place keeping, the Fusion should have been originall called a Taurus to preserve brand recognition and the value customers expect with the Taurus name. I my book, the Five Hundred/New Taurus would not exist as is, but be a direct replacement for the Panthers with a different name that represents are car higher than Taurus in the Ford model segment structure with 427/Interceptor influenced styling instead of that Volvo in Passat drag. It's a Ford dammit make it look like one! The FWD/RWD/AWD orientation is debatable as hell with clear pros and cons for any case but the point should be about capturing the lost market for former retail Crown Vic buyers while getting some of the import luxury crowd as well as offering something that slightly younger buyers will accept as a top of the line Ford model offering.

For the life of me I think the CD 3 would sell better if the 3 liter engine were replaced, and with a new front end. And if they called the highest trim level the Mondeo. KIDDING!

Need to replace the 2.3 as well. It's loud and VERY unrefined.

Mazda6 sales are horrible. Kia Optima is beating it...

Yeah - I'm not sure what's going on with that. The Mazda6 was due for replacement as a 2008 model, which means it should be showing up in dealerships around October. However, it has yet to be revealed and the last "spy shot" report I saw online reported the new 6 would be a 2009 model. Mazda needs to get the new 6 online quickly to boost sales.

A quick note however, Mazda doesn't seem too concerned because as of today, the incentives for the Mazda6 are:

$1,750 cash or 0%/36months, 3.9/48, 4.9/60, & 5.9/72 financing or special lease deals ($199/$249/$339 with $2K+ down)

This is a far cry from 2004 when Mazda had a several month $3K rebate rolling on all models. If Mazda needed to move product they could be more aggressive with incentives. I'm not sure if Mazda has reduced production in light of the upcoming switchover (Early 2008 launch of a 2009 model with an LA debut?) or just "doesn't care" but I'm not too worried about the slowing sales of the 6 - a new model is fairly imminent. Not so with the Fusion...

Scott

Yeah - I'm not sure what's going on with that. The Mazda6 was due for replacement as a 2008 model, which means it should be showing up in dealerships around October. However, it has yet to be revealed and the last "spy shot" report I saw online reported the new 6 would be a 2009 model. Mazda needs to get the new 6 online quickly to boost sales.

A quick note however, Mazda doesn't seem too concerned because as of today, the incentives for the Mazda6 are:

$1,750 cash or 0%/36months, 3.9/48, 4.9/60, & 5.9/72 financing or special lease deals ($199/$249/$339 with $2K+ down)

This is a far cry from 2004 when Mazda had a several month $3K rebate rolling on all models. If Mazda needed to move product they could be more aggressive with incentives. I'm not sure if Mazda has reduced production in light of the upcoming switchover (Early 2008 launch of a 2009 model with an LA debut?) or just "doesn't care" but I'm not too worried about the slowing sales of the 6 - a new model is fairly imminent. Not so with the Fusion...

Scott

Ummm.....The new (refreshed) Fusion is just around the corner.