Ford cancels plans to build Mercury version of Freestyle

sullynd

This confirms that the Freestyle will be canceled/replaced with the Fairlane. Mercury may get a version of that, or Lincoln will be the soul benefactor. It looks like Mercury is falling victim to the focus on Lincoln, we may be seeing the early stages of its phase out as Lincoln is repositioned to be the volume leader.

Edited by BORG

This confirms that the Freestyle will be canceled/replaced with the Fairlane.

IT does no such thing.

Crain publishing provides us with Auto News which trumpeted the "Freestyle is dead" blather last year as well.

The Freestyle has put a dent in Pacifica and Highlander sales, and outsells the Pacifica on a retail level, despite having a narrower price range and feature set.

IT does no such thing.

Crain publishing provides us with Auto News which trumpeted the "Freestyle is dead" blather last year as well.

The Freestyle has put a dent in Pacifica and Highlander sales, and outsells the Pacifica on a retail level, despite having a narrower price range and feature set.

The Fairlane will make a bigger dent, the Freestyle is a goner.

This just doesn't make sense to me. Ford needs more product, not less and the Meta 1 was a good looking concept that was pretty much ready for production. It would have introduced an edgier Freestyle to hold over buyers that are bored with the Freestyle look until the refresh. Bad move.

This just doesn't make sense to me. Ford needs more product, not less and the Meta 1 was a good looking concept that was pretty much ready for production. It would have introduced an edgier Freestyle to hold over buyers that are bored with the Freestyle look until the refresh. Bad move.

It would make more sense to you if you had ever been piloting a boat through close quarters and the rudder came off.

This confirms that the Freestyle will be canceled/replaced with the Fairlane. Mercury may get a version of that, or Lincoln will be the soul benefactor. It looks like Mercury is falling victim to the focus on Lincoln, we may be seeing the early stages of its phase out as Lincoln is repositioned to be the volume leader.

In the years you have posted, your predcitions/proclamtions usaully don't pan out. [Which is why you're so much fun, I love saying 'actually...'] #1 Example, claiming the Escape was 'a sales disaster' after it was out a year, with no facts to back it up. It's actaully done well and still kicking CRV tail.

How can dropping a car be 'confirmed' when its sales are climbing? And who has really seen what the so called Fairlane looks like? It will more likely look like a van then a wagon/SUV.

Anway, it makes sense to not have yet another badge job. Save some product for Ford more than the Mustang.

This is too bad as I was hoping to see some of the Meta1's magic rub off on the Monetgo's face.

Bujt still I don't get you Borg? This decision doesn't mean that the Freestyle is going anywhere... Even Autonews/week have gotten off the "Freestyle is dead" bandwagon. Anyway the fundation of the Freestlye/Fairlane story makes no sence... The Freestyle is part station wagon and part SUV. The Fairlane as presented is part minivan and part SUV. At what point did the Windstar in it's short glory years intrude on Taurus wagon sales? At what point does the Mercedes R-Class intrude on E-Class wagon sales? Just because the Freestyle and Fairlane take on some design details from SUVs doesn't change their overall market position. They are still fundamentally wagons and minivans no mater what Ford calls them. This wouldn't be a question if the Freestyle was name the Five-Hundred Freestyle, what they probably should have done. Instead Ford desided that push the Freestyle out as it's own brand, which was probably a mistake. Wonder if its too late?

Looking at the numbers this is most likely a production capacity issue... Chicago might be running into a capacity problem with the existing trio, the Meta1, and the two Lincoln sedans. If you put the Five-Hundred at 100k, Montego at 25k, the Freestyle at 75k, add 10k for the Meta1, then add 60k in two Lincoln sedans your getting above Chicago's production during the Taurus heydays. At this point the Meta1 looks to be sacrified in order to concentrate on building the two Lincoln sedans...

I actually see this as good news. Most of the work for the Meta One must be done by now and Ford could use the sheetmetal as a refresh for the boring Freestyle in '08. It will be like the original plan of dropping the Freestyle and sell a rehash of it, just with a hell of a lot more sales.

The headlights already look like those on the 427/Fusion.

post-11072-1139477184_thumb.jpg

Edited by pcsario

Looking at the numbers this is most likely a production capacity issue... Chicago might be running into a capacity problem with the existing trio, the Meta1, and the two Lincoln sedans. If you put the Five-Hundred at 100k, Montego at 25k, the Freestyle at 75k, add 10k for the Meta1, then add 60k in two Lincoln sedans your getting above Chicago's production during the Taurus heydays. At this point the Meta1 looks to be sacrified in order to concentrate on building the two Lincoln sedans...

I agree with you, but the thing that doesnt make any sense at all is that Ford's projections for the Lincoln Sedans and People mover are very very low IMO...what happens if theres a big demand for the Lincoln Sedans? They gonna build them where? Oakville? The only good I see coming from Ford's lowball projections is when they design/price them, they'll make a profit at those low numbers and anything sold above that is gravy

Good points, Kris and pcsario. The Freestyle, as a vehicle and total package, is sound as a pound and an excellent value. With the fold-flat middle and front passenger seats, it is incredibly versatile, and with gas mileage numbers that put most SUVs to shame.

It is, however, too close in style to the Explorer for comfort. A redesign along the lines of the Meta One will look far better at a Ford dealership beside the Explorer than it would at a Mercury dealership. It will create synergy, rather than just cannibalize Explorer sales. Even better is simply to position it as the station wagon model of the Five Hundred, with the same face.

This is too bad as I was hoping to see some of the Meta1's magic rub off on the Monetgo's face.

Bujt still I don't get you Borg? This decision doesn't mean that the Freestyle is going anywhere... Even Autonews/week have gotten off the "Freestyle is dead" bandwagon. Anyway the fundation of the Freestlye/Fairlane story makes no sence... The Freestyle is part station wagon and part SUV. The Fairlane as presented is part minivan and part SUV. At what point did the Windstar in it's short glory years intrude on Taurus wagon sales? At what point does the Mercedes R-Class intrude on E-Class wagon sales? Just because the Freestyle and Fairlane take on some design details from SUVs doesn't change their overall market position. They are still fundamentally wagons and minivans no mater what Ford calls them. This wouldn't be a question if the Freestyle was name the Five-Hundred Freestyle, what they probably should have done. Instead Ford desided that push the Freestyle out as it's own brand, which was probably a mistake. Wonder if its too late?

I generally agree with your comments.

The cancellation (or postponement) of the Meta1 was likely due primarily to plant complexity considerations rather than the need for the product.

Chicago is a D3 plant that is flexible among the products in the plant. But, it was designed as a modular plant with built up components coming from outside the plant and floorspace and fixtures were limited. In general, it was only designed to take 3 derivatives, but I think a fourth could be shoehorned in. And that would make it ultimately an all sedan plant with Ford, Mercury, and two Lincolns.

So the Freestyle gets the boot from the plant, not because it's a bad product but because it's odd man out, and it would seem to make sense to consolidate the build all of the people movers/crossovers/minivans in Oakville off of 2 platforms.

So, if Ford wants to maintain Freestyle, the assembly tooling might be able to be moved, providing Ford adopts the same manufacturing philosophy in the new plant and the tooling fits.

I'm not sure what Ford's plan is, but it might make sense for Fairlane to go to 2 brands (Ford/Lincoln) and a freshened Freestyle (Meta1?) go to Mercury. And maybe Mercury drops Mountaineer?

Dropping the Explorer base Mountaineer would cause a problem for L-M dealers... They would no longer have a tow capable midsized utility. Any replacement for the Mountaineer, whether Mercury or Lincoln badged neds to have 5000+lb towing capaicty at a minimum. I only mention this because we have plans to buy a modest sized camper (3500lb), and that's essentially eliminated the Escape and D3-based SUVs from my ongoing buy list (our car shopping is on hold until work gets throuh this JV spinoff and I know my job status). The Freestyle is particular has a tiny tow rating, only 2000lb. Meaning the only F-M-L products on my list are the Explorer and Mountaineer. I've got to bump up to a Expy/'Gator or LR3 if I want another choice.

Dropping the Explorer base Mountaineer would cause a problem for L-M dealers... They would no longer have a tow capable midsized utility. Any replacement for the Mountaineer, whether Mercury or Lincoln badged neds to have 5000+lb towing capaicty at a minimum. I only mention this because we have plans to buy a modest sized camper (3500lb), and that's essentially eliminated the Escape and D3-based SUVs from my ongoing buy list (our car shopping is on hold until work gets throuh this JV spinoff and I know my job status). The Freestyle is particular has a tiny tow rating, only 2000lb. Meaning the only F-M-L products on my list are the Explorer and Mountaineer. I've got to bump up to a Expy/'Gator or LR3 if I want another choice.

But would you not buy the Explorer if the Mountaineer wasn't available? I think Mercury would do better to have the Meta-One and let Ford have the Explorer - no Mountaineer and no Freestyle. That way they actually have unique product, Ford keeps the "Ford Tough" truck SUV and Mercury gets the CUV/wagon that will appeal to the upper class, female audience they seem to be targeting. Would the American public really miss the Mountaineer? I think they would just hop over to the Ford dealer.

I think they would just hop over to the Ford dealer.

And you'd have stomping mad LM dealers.

One thing the low-ball Lincoln sedan numbers suggest is that the TC ain't goin' anywhere.

And the Freestyle ain't goin' anywhere either: Stevens says it's staying in Chicago.

It is quite possible that Ford intends to run Chicago, Oakville, and Hermosillo at 3 shifts, thus delivering about a million vehicles from three plants (Biker16 suggested this a while back and it makes a lot of sense).

That's pretty decent utilization if you ask me.

If the Freestyle is restyled, it won't look like the Meta 1 since they are going with this new 'step up' headlamp design on all their SUV/CUVs. Hopefully they'll wise up and discover it only looks good on the Edge ;)

It makes you wonder what is to be done with Mercury since they will have no additonal new product for the next few years without, at least, a new Freestyle clone. They won't get the Edge for a year or two, if at all. That essentially leaves Mercury's progress stalled while it fails to capitalize on Ford's newest products.

I've wondered for some time if Ford would bring out a Freestyle that looked more like a 500-wagon - maybe they could do that with the Montego now? It'd probably cost less than giving them the unique MetaOne sheetmetal - and maybe they could do it with the Milan too since Merc didn't get an Edge-clone. Or there's the possiblity of a 'CD3-monospace'/mini-minivan alternative (attached).

Meanwhile, here's a link to a chop (sorry, I can't find its source to give credit)

(BORG, pretend it has different headlites)

post-15078-1139555915_thumb.jpg

Edited by 2b2

I'm not sure int eh Mountaineer was killed/moved to Freestyle platfrom that we would get an Explorer... My wife didn't like the Explorer at the auto show, but did like the Mountaineer a half hour later. Haven't really gotten into it with her, but this is consistent... Last year it was the same way. LAst year we hit GM first, the Mercury, PAG, and finally Ford... This year it was the opposite.

The Mountaineer even though very much related to the Explorer is thought of as something different to her. Same with Saab 9-7X vs. the Traliblazer or Denali. So this is my view thu the eyes of a non-automotive enthuiest... She puts up wiht my "obsesion" nicely, but wouldn't look at cars without me.

Ford is really going to have a LOT of choice in the SUV size area of the Ford Explorer and Freestyle when the Edge comes out, since the Edge is actually close to the Freestyle in size. And on top of that, the Escape is available, and in a hybrid version, too. Ford will be looking good soon. However, they really need a mini-van with a better reputation.

Actually the Edge is significantly smaller than the Freestyle...

Escape ~ 175in

Edge ~ 185in

Explorer ~195in

Freestyle ~200in

Expedition ~205in

Expy EL ~220in

Aussi Territory ~190in

Freestar ~ 200in

E-Series ~ 212in

E-Exteded ~ 232in

European Galaxy MPV ~185in

European S-Max MPV ~180in

European C-Max MPV ~170in

Edited by Kris Kolman

• 2 weeks later...

The Edge [u2 should do ads] is somewhat shorter than the Freestyle, I saw the two next to each other at the Chicago Auto Show. It's like the 'wagon master days', Ford had three sizes of station wagons, Pinto, Torino, LTD. {or in 60's Falcon, Fairlane, Galaxie}

And the upcoming Fairlane is essentially a minivan, not a wagon/SUV. So, no it won't crowd the others.