Production Flex Sighted

FordBuyer

I got lucky today and saw a production Flex coming in opposite direction on Middlebelt through Livonia. I was unlucky in that I wish I was behind it and got to stop at light with it and really check it out, but no such luck and no camera. It was not a test mule, but a regularl production version and it looked to be fully optioned out. It was moving so fast, I got a chance to enough though. I kind of knew it was something different as it approached as front end even with three bar grill had different proportions from Edge, Fusion, and Taurus. It made a turn off of Middlebelt down side street and got a chance to see full profile plus rear end. The rear, back door was fully chromed and looked sharp. The door handles were chromed like Taurus Limited, so assume it was Limited model. I'll tell you, seeing it out in heavy rush hour traffic really showed how different it is from every other vehicle out there. I think and hope Ford has winner here to go along with Edge. This vehicle really stands out in good way. It really looks like special, premium vehicle in very classic wagon way. Modern, but classic along with classy. The color was a medim gray, but more alloy in hue. I really don't remember if it had white roof, but I would say not, but not sure. I only had about 10 seconds to look at it. The guy driving was moving. The vehicle is definitely quick as he made fast turn at speed and vehicle seems to handle well for big wagon. Great vehicle. Love it. Those with big families will love it. Oakville must have small line building preproduction versions already as this was full production version like guy just came out of dealer with first one.

I got lucky today and saw a production Flex coming in opposite direction on Middlebelt through Livonia. I was unlucky in that I wish I was behind it and got to stop at light with it and really check it out, but no such luck and no camera. It was not a test mule, but a regularl production version and it looked to be fully optioned out. It was moving so fast, I got a chance to enough though. I kind of knew it was something different as it approached as front end even with three bar grill had different proportions from Edge, Fusion, and Taurus. It made a turn off of Middlebelt down side street and got a chance to see full profile plus rear end. The rear, back door was fully chromed and looked sharp. The door handles were chromed like Taurus Limited, so assume it was Limited model. I'll tell you, seeing it out in heavy rush hour traffic really showed how different it is from every other vehicle out there. I think and hope Ford has winner here to go along with Edge. This vehicle really stands out in good way. It really looks like special, premium vehicle in very classic wagon way. Modern, but classic along with classy. The color was a medim gray, but more alloy in hue. I really don't remember if it had white roof, but I would say not, but not sure. I only had about 10 seconds to look at it. The guy driving was moving. The vehicle is definitely quick as he made fast turn at speed and vehicle seems to handle well for big wagon. Great vehicle. Love it. Those with big families will love it. Oakville must have small line building preproduction versions already as this was full production version like guy just came out of dealer with first one.

I think it'll be a success for Ford. Nobody currently offers a vehicle like this (low 'station wagon' type thing, but cooler)

If this thing isn't a hit then people really are stupid, it looks a thousand times better than any Japanese insect crossover..

Hopefully, it will bring back the style of the wagon again. I think it will do well, but also may pull sales away from TaurusX and Edge. That is my only worry. And of course pull more sales away from Explorer. I have always loved the look of the Chevy Nomad and of course Ford has rich tradition of making nice wagons. My family had one growing up. A nine passenger wagon with rear seat facing backwards and as kids we loved it because parents could not see our faces back there. To me, the Flex brings the spirit of the Chevy Nomad and the confort of the best of the Ford wagons and combines it into one great package. The Flex is outstanding in every way. Notihing like it on road and I bet has caused some sleepless nights in competitors homes. Ford now has vehicle that no one else has and with Mustang now has two vehicles with no competition. I like it when Ford creates niches that never existed before and they have done that here. I really think that people will love to be seen in this vehicle. As was stated before, IMAGE is everything in America. Soccer Moms will love this vehicle and lead to more desertions in minivan market.

The Magnum and Flex are really nothing alike. The Magnum is more like a sedan with some extra rooms behind the back seats where the Flex basically has the characteristics of a fullsize SUV on a lower platform.

The Magnum Wagon is a hot rod that no one buys, and the Flex is a classic people mover that is very practical. I predict that the Magnum will be ditched within two years. I live in Metro Detroit, and I hardly ever see one. I saw a new Flex on road yesterday, and can't remember last time I noticed Magnum on street. I never did understand the Magnum and even the overly macho name. It has such a limited audience and customer base.

The Magnum Wagon is a hot rod that no one buys, and the Flex is a classic people mover that is very practical. I predict that the Magnum will be ditched within two years. I live in Metro Detroit, and I hardly ever see one. I saw a new Flex on road yesterday, and can't remember last time I noticed Magnum on street. I never did understand the Magnum and even the overly macho name. It has such a limited audience and customer base.

I really wanted a Magnum when they first came out... enough so that I actually considered defecting from Ford and actually test drove one.

I gotta tell you, the rakeback in the rear roof may look cool, but it just totally kills the alleged "practicality" that car would have had. Eats up interior/ cargo space and causes poor visibility. If they had just kept the roof straight it would have been a lot more versatile... less "sporty" perhaps, but it would have retained enough "badass" with the chopping block windows.

But that compromised roof, coupled with the chintzy Little Tykes interior, killed my enthusiasm for the car. It just screamed "halfass" instead of "badass".

I really wanted a Magnum when they first came out... enough so that I actually considered defecting from Ford and actually test drove one.

I gotta tell you, the rakeback in the rear roof may look cool, but it just totally kills the alleged "practicality" that car would have had. Eats up interior/ cargo space and causes poor visibility. If they had just kept the roof straight it would have been a lot more versatile... less "sporty" perhaps, but it would have retained enough "badass" with the chopping block windows.

But that compromised roof, coupled with the chintzy Little Tykes interior, killed my enthusiasm for the car. It just screamed "halfass" instead of "badass".

It only has 2 - 3 cubic feet less cargoroom than our taurus wagon did, and I am 6'1" and I can sit in the back without my head hitting. The interior is not the greatest, but its all soft touch and the silver trim that ours has makes it look better.

I got lucky today and saw a production Flex coming in opposite direction on Middlebelt through Livonia.......... Oakville must have small line building preproduction versions already as this was full production version like guy just came out of dealer with first one.

Not production, pilot vehicle maybe. And built in Michigan, not Oakville. We have not built one here yet, maybe in late October-November.

I like the Flex also, just wished for a better name!

It only has 2 - 3 cubic feet less cargoroom than our taurus wagon did, and I am 6'1" and I can sit in the back without my head hitting. The interior is not the greatest, but its all soft touch and the silver trim that ours has makes it look better.

I'm glad you like it. I wonder if the interior improvements were added recently; the one I tried was an '04 ('05 MY but they came out so ridiculously early, in my head it was an '04). I personally was not cramped, but for some cargo projects I had in mind I really would have preferred a higher roof. And visibility wasn't as much an issue for me as it was for my wife, who is a foot shorter.

Really, it was a nice car... I was just disappointed at the shortcomings. It wouldn't take much to fix them.

I'm glad you like it. I wonder if the interior improvements were added recently; the one I tried was an '04 ('05 MY but they came out so ridiculously early, in my head it was an '04). I personally was not cramped, but for some cargo projects I had in mind I really would have preferred a higher roof. And visibility wasn't as much an issue for me as it was for my wife, who is a foot shorter.

Really, it was a nice car... I was just disappointed at the shortcomings. It wouldn't take much to fix them.

I agree its not perfect, but hey, we go it used for half price only 6 months old...so its fine.

Edited by suv_guy_19