Mercury Cougar from the Mustang?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a mustang, keep the front fenders, change the grille/headlight insert to look like the 60s cougar with the bodycoloured waterfall between the grilles, and add a quarter window like this.

Just what mercury needs

What is so Cougar about that? It looks like a new Mustang with 1994-98 style quarter windows and the C-scoop detail deleted.

sorry, but I kinda agree with above...a bit too much late model mustang to carry the cougar name...I am hoping to see a cougar come out, but think it needs to follow 67-70 profile(preferably w/69-70 side accent line) and the gt should be 'eliminator' pkg like the 69's...very pretty cars. I just think the merc will need a little higher/more formal roofline, a 4" stretched chassis for a little rear legroom, and the nose work as you mentioned. I'd love to see the return of the hideaways(surely they could make them reliable these days) and standard full width sequentials in the back.

I did a bunch of new Cougars based off the Mustang platform at Mercurycougar.net and The Mustang Source.

These are very, very nice and evocative of the original Cougar without being totally retro.

Your sketches and those posted earlier point out a key fact. The Mustang is unique and successful. If Ford were to implement a Cougar, it would need a totally unique sheet metal set from the Mustang. And lamps, and interior... So that's going to make it a relatively high investment. And if the wheelbase needs to be lengthened, or if you need IRS standard, then that's more $$$$. So this product might be somewhat difficult to justify, at least for now when the plant is full.....

But it sure would fit in nicely in the Mercury showroom.

I'll say it again.....I don't think anything remotely retro from a new Cougar would be a good idea. It would be a complete oddball on the Lincoln-Mercury showroom and would do nothing to contribute to the rest of the brand. Sure, you'd get a few conquest sales (from the FORD dealer), but that would be it.

The Cougar should be elegant and sophisticated, with power to spare. Then perhaps your conquest buyers would be those from OTHER carmakers, like people shopping for a G35 coupe or maybe even some low-end Mercedes models.

I'll say it again.....I don't think anything remotely retro from a new Cougar would be a good idea. It would be a complete oddball on the Lincoln-Mercury showroom and would do nothing to contribute to the rest of the brand. Sure, you'd get a few conquest sales (from the FORD dealer), but that would be it.

The Cougar should be elegant and sophisticated, with power to spare. Then perhaps your conquest buyers would be those from OTHER carmakers, like people shopping for a G35 coupe or maybe even some low-end Mercedes models.

I've heard that correlation/complaint before. But take it one step further to the 350Z/G35 vs the Mustang/Cougar. It's cheaper to share a platform, the engineering has already been done. It's my contention that the Cougar should have everything the Mustang has AND more, like a NAV system, heated seats, auto lamps, beter plastics/textures, wood trim....at a higher price. Some people don't like the new Mustang because it is basic. I say give them the alternative, something very NOT basic, just like the original Cougar. It does need to be elegant and sophisticated. The Camaro and Challenger will be coming in the near future. They intend to conquest sales from Ford, I say better some of it goes to Mercury rather than GM or Chrysler. It looks like 1967 all over again LOL.

Retro isn't a new fad,......hell the 56 Mark II was retro. So was the 74 Mustang II and about a dozen other cars.

And what's GOOD about the Mercury showroom now? Just the Milan and Montego....both 4 doors. The Mariner was an old hand-me-down when Mercury got it. Mountaineer....new yet old. G Marquis old AND old. (And the M&M naming of cars is just stupid IMHO). Oddball? Maybe, but that's exactly what Mercury needs...if you consider something with panache and excitement as oddball. While they are at it, make a Cyclone and a Turnpike Cruiser. If you look at eBay's collectible car listings "MERCURY" is divided into "COUGAR" and "OTHER"....it tells me, in numbers and prices, that the Cougar name and reputation is still viable.

I've heard that correlation/complaint before. But take it one step further to the 350Z/G35 vs the Mustang/Cougar. It's cheaper to share a platform, the engineering has already been done. It's my contention that the Cougar should have everything the Mustang has AND more, like a NAV system, heated seats, auto lamps, beter plastics/textures, wood trim....at a higher price. Some people don't like the new Mustang because it is basic. I say give them the alternative, something very NOT basic, just like the original Cougar. It does need to be elegant and sophisticated. The Camaro and Challenger will be coming in the near future. They intend to conquest sales from Ford, I say better some of it goes to Mercury rather than GM or Chrysler. It looks like 1967 all over again LOL.

Retro isn't a new fad,......hell the 56 Mark II was retro. So was the 74 Mustang II and about a dozen other cars.

And what's GOOD about the Mercury showroom now? Just the Milan and Montego....both 4 doors. The Mariner was an old hand-me-down when Mercury got it. Mountaineer....new yet old. G Marquis old AND old. (And the M&M naming of cars is just stupid IMHO). Oddball? Maybe, but that's exactly what Mercury needs...if you consider something with panache and excitement as oddball. While they are at it, make a Cyclone and a Turnpike Cruiser. If you look at eBay's collectible car listings "MERCURY" is divided into "COUGAR" and "OTHER"....it tells me, in numbers and prices, that the Cougar name and reputation is still viable.

Well, I never said the Cougar shouldn't share PLATFORMS with the Mustang. I would say that is a MUST. It just shouldn't look like a Mustang with a waterfall grille and sequential tail lights. That would do nothing to revive Mercury and would do no justice for the Cougar.

Take the Mustang platform, throw some sexy curvy MODERN sheet metal on it, tuck an IRS under the rear, throw in some nice gadgets like Bluetooth, nav system, heated/cooled seats and you have a winner.

Oh wait. I just described the Messenger concept. :D

Well, I never said the Cougar shouldn't share PLATFORMS with the Mustang. I would say that is a MUST. It just shouldn't look like a Mustang with a waterfall grille and sequential tail lights. That would do nothing to revive Mercury and would do no justice for the Cougar.

Take the Mustang platform, throw some sexy curvy MODERN sheet metal on it, tuck an IRS under the rear, throw in some nice gadgets like Bluetooth, nav system, heated/cooled seats and you have a winner.

Oh wait. I just described the Messenger concept. :D

Yeah, I like the Messenger a lot. Still do.

post-19198-1140125104_thumb.jpg

I have to agree with NickF1011 and timmm55, a retro Cougar would not work. A new Cougar design should evolutionary by using design cues from past Cougars and combining those with the Mercury Messenger and Ford Iosis. For example, the roof could be designed similar to that of the original but with a slight slant downward. The rear window should be somewhat like that of a 2001 Audi A4 since this goes with the shape of the rear of the Messenger. The side rear quarter panel could reflect that of a '87 with a character line going down the side of the car and flair upward at the rear quarter window like that of the original and of the new Charger. The side should have some type of scoop like that of the Messenger or Iosis. Also, the Iosis front could be used with a Mercury grille with the Cougar head and on the front of the bumper have the aluminum trim like the Mariner or Moutaineer with the original full bodied Cougar engraved in it. Just an idea.

post-14421-1140152220_thumb.jpg

I have to agree with NickF1011 and timmm55, a retro Cougar would not work. A new Cougar design should evolutionary by using design cues from past Cougars and combining those with the Mercury Messenger and Ford Iosis. For example, the roof could be designed similar to that of the original but with a slight slant downward. The rear window should be somewhat like that of a 2001 Audi A4 since this goes with the shape of the rear of the Messenger. The side rear quarter panel could reflect that of a '87 with a character line going down the side of the car and flair upward at the rear quarter window like that of the original and of the new Charger. The side should have some type of scoop like that of the Messenger or Iosis. Also, the Iosis front could be used with a Mercury grille with the Cougar head and on the front of the bumper have the aluminum trim like the Mariner or Moutaineer with the original full bodied Cougar engraved in it. Just an idea.

Now YOUR idea could work! That's the best profile view of a new Cougar I've seen yet.

This is a great topic. I definitelly think that a mercury version of a mustang could work, and i think there would be a pretty good market segment for it. I think that if they go for it, Retro should be the last thing on their mind. NO RETRO!

I threw a sketch over an 05 mustang to show what they could do with the current platform.

post-14922-1140191038_thumb.jpg

This is a great topic. I definitelly think that a mercury version of a mustang could work, and i think there would be a pretty good market segment for it. I think that if they go for it, Retro should be the last thing on their mind. NO RETRO!

I threw a sketch over an 05 mustang to show what they could do with the current platform.

I like that sketch xriry!!!! When I first saw the Messenger I immediately thought "Cougar!" Messenger (as in don't shoot the......) is an odd name.

Any Cougar with RWD and a V8 can be considered retro. It just depends on how far they want to go in recreating it. The Cougar floudered when it lost it's roots, going from a sporty V8 RWD compact, to a luxury midsize, to a 4 door sedan to a wagon (!) sporty coupe (again) to a small FWD Flavor of the month coupe.

I like that sketch xriry!!!! When I first saw the Messenger I immediately thought "Cougar!" Messenger (as in don't shoot the......) is an odd name.

Well, the original press release for the Messenger said its name was used because its styling cues were going to meld into future Mercury models....looks like that never panned out. Bummer. Mercury's current design theme was getting old 10 years ago. Now it's just flat outdated.

If Mercury does get a model based on the Mustang platform it should definitely NOT be retro. After all, how many Americans have any strong feelings towards the old Cougars? The Mustang has been a cultural icon for more than 4 decades, the Cougar has always been a rebadged Ford model, hardly the type of stuff to make the public go wild. I like what someone mentioned - like a Nissan Z/Infiniti G35 relationship. Give Merc the sophisticated modern coupe and let the Mustang be the retro hot-rod. That fits much better with the current marketing of the two brands.

If Mercury does get a model based on the Mustang platform it should definitely NOT be retro. After all, how many Americans have any strong feelings towards the old Cougars? The Mustang has been a cultural icon for more than 4 decades, the Cougar has always been a rebadged Ford model, hardly the type of stuff to make the public go wild. I like what someone mentioned - like a Nissan Z/Infiniti G35 relationship. Give Merc the sophisticated modern coupe and let the Mustang be the retro hot-rod. That fits much better with the current marketing of the two brands.

I dunno you could ask the people at mercurycougar.net!

A lot of us feel that the 67-73 Cougar was Mercury's Icon. I wasn't just rebadged then. There were significant engineering and completely different sheet metal differences. Although the chassis was similar it was 3" longer. The Cougar was notable for what it didn't have: NO 6 cylinders.

It could be retro and sophisticated and modern.

Let's imagine a situation like this: The new Mustang is selling as fast as you can build them. It is clear that GM and Chrysler are going to introduce competitive products. The Market is going to get crowded. You know where GM and Chrysler will aim, directly at the Mustang. What do you do? Adding additional models to the Mustang could dilute the brand. You already have Shelby taking the high end performance market.

Does this sound like 2006 or 1966?

History teaches those who pay attention. The original Cougar was a hit. The Camaro was all new in '67 as was the Firebird. But the Car of the Year for '67 was the Cougar, selling 150,893 units. The Camaro sold a little over 220,000 and the Mustang 472,121 units. The Firebird was only good for 82560 and the Barracuda 62,534. Mustang out sold the Camaro by more than two to one, and the Cougar outsold the Firebird by about the same ratio.

The original Cougar created a niche that still sits wide open. It was the luxury sports car. It was almost as compact as the Mustang, but featured the luxury of the Thunderbird. And it was not short on performance. There were no 6 cylinder Cougars, and engine choices ranged up to the mighty 427 side oiler ( a choice never offered in the Mustang!).

In my opinion, the Cougar started to lose its way in only two years. The '69 got longer and heavier, and slower, and the '70 grew longer still. By '71 the car was almost unrecognizable to the original Cougar buyers. It had become a small luxury car, instead of a luxurious sports car.

The Cougar name has been applied to more bastard renditions than Mercury would ever care to admit. but once upon a time it was the basis for the Mercury brand: At The Sign of the Cat! I would suggest that Mercury has not stood for anything since.

The right direction today is the same as it was the first time around. The luxury sports car. Why do I have to buy BMWs to get rear wheel drive performance, decent interior room, and not a lot of extraneous bulk, or gratuitous wings and silly crap? The Mustang is just about right. Put another 3 inches of leg room in the back seat, give me a reasonable rear roof line, and all of the heated, cooled, homelinked, power operated, sunroofed, moonroofed, DVD MP3, Nav, neat stuff that I am used too.

I would like to buy an American car, root for the home team, and stop spending stupid money on German cars. Build something we actually want to buy!

Let's imagine a situation like this: The new Mustang is selling as fast as you can build them. It is clear that GM and Chrysler are going to introduce competitive products. The Market is going to get crowded. You know where GM and Chrysler will aim, directly at the Mustang. What do you do? Adding additional models to the Mustang could dilute the brand. You already have Shelby taking the high end performance market.

Does this sound like 2006 or 1966?

History teaches those who pay attention. The original Cougar was a hit. The Camaro was all new in '67 as was the Firebird. But the Car of the Year for '67 was the Cougar, selling 150,893 units. The Camaro sold a little over 220,000 and the Mustang 472,121 units. The Firebird was only good for 82560 and the Barracuda 62,534. Mustang out sold the Camaro by more than two to one, and the Cougar outsold the Firebird by about the same ratio.

The original Cougar created a niche that still sits wide open. It was the luxury sports car. It was almost as compact as the Mustang, but featured the luxury of the Thunderbird. And it was not short on performance. There were no 6 cylinder Cougars, and engine choices ranged up to the mighty 427 side oiler ( a choice never offered in the Mustang!).

In my opinion, the Cougar started to lose its way in only two years. The '69 got longer and heavier, and slower, and the '70 grew longer still. By '71 the car was almost unrecognizable to the original Cougar buyers. It had become a small luxury car, instead of a luxurious sports car.

The Cougar name has been applied to more bastard renditions than Mercury would ever care to admit. but once upon a time it was the basis for the Mercury brand: At The Sign of the Cat! I would suggest that Mercury has not stood for anything since.

The right direction today is the same as it was the first time around. The luxury sports car. Why do I have to buy BMWs to get rear wheel drive performance, decent interior room, and not a lot of extraneous bulk, or gratuitous wings and silly crap? The Mustang is just about right. Put another 3 inches of leg room in the back seat, give me a reasonable rear roof line, and all of the heated, cooled, homelinked, power operated, sunroofed, moonroofed, DVD MP3, Nav, neat stuff that I am used too.

I would like to buy an American car, root for the home team, and stop spending stupid money on German cars. Build something we actually want to buy!

I agree. I don't want to see a rebadged Mustang. If Ford does give Mercury a version of the Mustang I think it needs to be markedly different and also aimed at a different buyer altogether.