New Trans TSB

ELlover

well my transmission is acting up again. Just got it back last friday and the fumbling of gears is back, but I have pinpointed it to when the truck is warm and then I get stuck in stop and go traffic. Thats when it starts skipping gears, revving up without switch, and very poor down shifting.

Nick: One week after TSB 7 5 5, driving in traffic, the engine started acting up again by revving high, the exact same as you. I am supposed to take mine in now tomorrow so they can further look at it... For the record, in three weeks of ownership this vehicle has been in the shop more than any other Ford I have owned. I assume you are CarbonMetallic at Ford Trucks also, im also gonna update there.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nick: One week after TSB 7 5 5, driving in traffic, the engine started acting up again by revving high, the exact same as you. I am supposed to take mine in now tomorrow so they can further look at it... For the record, in three weeks of ownership this vehicle has been in the shop more than any other Ford I have owned. I assume you are CarbonMetallic at Ford Trucks also, im also gonna update there.

OK! So Ford will not allow a repair on it till sometime in the middle of November! They say, we don't know what to do with it! Brand new less than three weeks vehicle!

lemon.gif

• 5 months later...

14k now on ours and when its cold (first start of the day usually) each shift from 1st through 3rd will over rev the engine about a thousand rpm before the shift will take place. Throttle position effect's it a little, part throttle is bothersome but heavy throttle is scary sounding. I'm calling service writer for a service appt and follow up on the trans condition now. I'll post his response after the visit.

OK! So Ford will not allow a repair on it till sometime in the middle of November! They say, we don't know what to do with it! Brand new less than three weeks vehicle!

lemon.gif

What? What did they say exactly?

Have you filed the paperwork for the lemon law? It will be a slam dunk.

• 2 months later...
How does one start that process? I really like the Expe, I just don't think I want to drive it past the warranty if you know what I mean. Who knows what it would cost to fix if I was paying out of pocket...

The process is different state to state. Try checking your states web site probably under the attorney general area. You should not have to hire an attorney.

• 1 month later...

Well its back in the shop again, and again for a week we don't have our family transportation and now the service tech says the dealer doesn't lend or rent out vehicles while ours is in the shop... The trans guy is changing the valve body this time. Wonder how this will end up...I think our next step is inevitable, the lemon process.

Well its back in the shop again, and again for a week we don't have our family transportation and now the service tech says the dealer doesn't lend or rent out vehicles while ours is in the shop... The trans guy is changing the valve body this time. Wonder how this will end up...I think our next step is inevitable, the lemon process.

Is it still the 1-3 shifting that it slips?

Is it still the 1-3 shifting that it slips?

Yep. But along with the slip its started a neat little neutral out as well. Its done the neutral out about 6 times, basically, we try to pull out from a stop and the truck just sits, it doesn't go till you give it about half throttle, then it jumps into gear and takes off. Kinda nerve racking when thats the vehicle I carry my 2 kids in...

Hello All,

Thank You in advance for all the info posted here already!

I just bought a 2007 EB EL with 47,000 miles, but it was certified and I got the 7/100k bumper to bumper for free.

I believe I am having the transmission problem being discussed here, when the truck is cool I have to hammer the gas pretty good to get it to engage, the truck almost feels lilke it it starting off in 2nd or 3rd gear. It only seems to do this when it the truck is cold, seems to do ok when i is warm. I would really appreciate any guidance on this.

Thanks,

John

Plus he can change his spark plugs in about 30 min. where as u may never get yours out if u let them go the recommended 100K :redcard:

or...if you get them out and put new ones in...keep your fingers crossed that the motor doesn't spit 'em back out at ya....better follow the proper procedures and still that is a gamble...my dad has an '02 F250 SD with a 5.4L Triton...he wants to put new plugs in it at 43K...I told him to just leave it alone :banghead:

Hello All,

Thank You in advance for all the info posted here already!

I just bought a 2007 EB EL with 47,000 miles, but it was certified and I got the 7/100k bumper to bumper for free.

I believe I am having the transmission problem being discussed here, when the truck is cool I have to hammer the gas pretty good to get it to engage, the truck almost feels lilke it it starting off in 2nd or 3rd gear. It only seems to do this when it the truck is cold, seems to do ok when i is warm. I would really appreciate any guidance on this.

Thanks,

John

First step is open up dialogue with the dealership you bought it. Tell them exactly when it happens and offer to ride with them to show them the problem. See what they say and go from there.

• 1 month later...

So its now been a month since they changed the electronic valve body and its a little better. However it still hesitates and slips out of gear sporadically. We started the lemon law process and the dealer is getting our truck tomorrow for the last attempt. So, lets see what the Ford Rep says when he drives it tomorrow. I bet anything in the 2 miles he drives that it doesn't act up and we go to arbitration.

So its now been a month since they changed the electronic valve body and its a little better. However it still hesitates and slips out of gear sporadically. We started the lemon law process and the dealer is getting our truck tomorrow for the last attempt. So, lets see what the Ford Rep says when he drives it tomorrow. I bet anything in the 2 miles he drives that it doesn't act up and we go to arbitration.

Don't stress. The burden of proof is on the dealer. Have some friends, relative write a small paper saying the witnessed the problem. Take these to the mediation. Like my brakes, some things can't be fixed.

• 1 month later...

I picked up a 2007 Limited 4x4 with 17,000 miles on it. I have been reading with great intereste the threads about tranny problems. I am wondering if the later build dates had less problems. Build date on this one is May '07.

What should I be on the lookout for? I have been watching the RPMs but do not see any ramp up when the truck is shifting. Probably should turn off the tunes.......that may help to hear any engine reving.

For now I love the truck. Much nicer than the 2003 I traded in.

• 2 months later...

Thought I would update everyone on my experience with my '07 Limited. After reading up as much as I could about the issues with the tranny's - I thought I was okay when I finally found what I was looking for - a Tri-Coat White limited with 22" chrome rims 4X4 with all the fixn's. Had 17,000 miles on it and was a dealer demo. Has 20,500 miles on it and I just took it in today for an oil change, to fix a leaky seal on the front axle. I also started to notice the truck hesitate when starting off in first and was starting to rev a bit between first and second. Well, the dealership was not able to download the new program from Ford so they could re-flash the tranny on the onboard computer. They said that I could take the truck and they would call me when they had the program to download onto my truck.

I picked it up and about two blocks from my house - I slow down to turn off the highway onto my street and heard this awful thud and grinding noise as I was slowing down. I coasted to a stop sign and I took put the brake on and again an awful thud and grinding noise. Took my foot off the brake and the truck did not move. Gave her some gas and nothing. Shifted down into 3 rd and then back into drive and she gave me enough to get into my driveway - with a lot of grinding and thuds.........

Not sure if they tried to upload as they were downloading from Ford - or if this was just a coincidence.

They came and put her on a flat bed and took it to the dealership and I hope to get a report on it tomorrow. Not a happy camper. Frustrated. Hope they can fix or I want a new truck. I am not gonna put up with any crap since I have several references to service bulletins that are out on the same problem. THough I have not heard of any tranny's failing.

Thought I would update everyone on my experience with my '07 Limited. After reading up as much as I could about the issues with the tranny's - I thought I was okay when I finally found what I was looking for - a Tri-Coat White limited with 22" chrome rims 4X4 with all the fixn's. Had 17,000 miles on it and was a dealer demo. Has 20,500 miles on it and I just took it in today for an oil change, to fix a leaky seal on the front axle. I also started to notice the truck hesitate when starting off in first and was starting to rev a bit between first and second. Well, the dealership was not able to download the new program from Ford so they could re-flash the tranny on the onboard computer. They said that I could take the truck and they would call me when they had the program to download onto my truck.

I picked it up and about two blocks from my house - I slow down to turn off the highway onto my street and heard this awful thud and grinding noise as I was slowing down. I coasted to a stop sign and I took put the brake on and again an awful thud and grinding noise. Took my foot off the brake and the truck did not move. Gave her some gas and nothing. Shifted down into 3 rd and then back into drive and she gave me enough to get into my driveway - with a lot of grinding and thuds.........

Not sure if they tried to upload as they were downloading from Ford - or if this was just a coincidence.

They came and put her on a flat bed and took it to the dealership and I hope to get a report on it tomorrow. Not a happy camper. Frustrated. Hope they can fix or I want a new truck. I am not gonna put up with any crap since I have several references to service bulletins that are out on the same problem. THough I have not heard of any tranny's failing.

That sounds like the tranny blew up. At least they won't say 'can't duplicate'. Keep us posted.

Buzz -

Talked with the dealer. The tranny is fine. What apparently happened was that when the tech fixed the leaky axle seal he did may have not torqued the bolts down on the caliper/wheel. When I stepped on the brake - the loud thud was from the caliper binding up with the wheel.

Service manager said that there was no collateral damage - though he will have to inspect the caliper..............hope nothing is bent. They say they inspected the wheel/tire and everything seemed fine there.