It might be time...

Well, we've decided that now might be the time to finally, FINALLY break down and amend the personal fleet list. Our credit union has a financing special this weekend and we qualify for the lowest rate. And some of the vehicles we've been considering have come down in price to our comfort zone.

Now I know that "buying used" doesn't help Ford as much as buying new. But, it's the smartest thing for us to do.

My question is... we are seriously considering a few used Freestyles in the area. The only trouble is, the one from the Ford dealer who deserves our business is white... and I absolutely HATE white cars. As if the Freestyle wasn't "boring" enough, nothing says "I give up on life" like a white vanilla special. And this one is just a stripper SE model. Curses!

There is another freestyle at another dealer 10 miles away. It's a fully loaded limited, smoke gray, for $1300 more. We'd have a winner, but I don't like the dealer.

Is there ANY incentive for a dealer to swap used vehicles with another? The one we want to buy from has truly been wonderful and deserves our business... but I don't want to "settle" for their car. Or would we just be wasting money and be better off just buying straight up from the other guys?

Finally I know the Freestyle has been a solid vehicle. Are there any quirks we should look for/ I understand the brakes and tires suck. But I'm more interested in how higher-mileage specimens have held up mechanically.

Of course, we could well end up in something else entirely, but that's what we're looking at. I would be nice to get something in time for our next big road trip in a few weeks. And both our T-Birds were broken into a week ago so hopefully we waited long enough...

Well, we've decided that now might be the time to finally, FINALLY break down and amend the personal fleet list. Our credit union has a financing special this weekend and we qualify for the lowest rate. And some of the vehicles we've been considering have come down in price to our comfort zone.

Now I know that "buying used" doesn't help Ford as much as buying new. But, it's the smartest thing for us to do.

My question is... we are seriously considering a few used Freestyles in the area. The only trouble is, the one from the Ford dealer who deserves our business is white... and I absolutely HATE white cars. As if the Freestyle wasn't "boring" enough, nothing says "I give up on life" like a white vanilla special. And this one is just a stripper SE model. Curses!

There is another freestyle at another dealer 10 miles away. It's a fully loaded limited, smoke gray, for $1300 more. We'd have a winner, but I don't like the dealer.

Is there ANY incentive for a dealer to swap used vehicles with another? The one we want to buy from has truly been wonderful and deserves our business... but I don't want to "settle" for their car. Or would we just be wasting money and be better off just buying straight up from the other guys?

Finally I know the Freestyle has been a solid vehicle. Are there any quirks we should look for/ I understand the brakes and tires suck. But I'm more interested in how higher-mileage specimens have held up mechanically.

Of course, we could well end up in something else entirely, but that's what we're looking at. I would be nice to get something in time for our next big road trip in a few weeks. And both our T-Birds were broken into a week ago so hopefully we waited long enough...

You could see if the dealers could work out a trade. They sometimes do that. I'm not sure if they would do it with a used vehicle though, but it's worth a shot.

They might also look for a vehicle at auction. Not quite sure how to work that out with your CU though.

Hmm, now that's an idea.

The CU special is a half-point off on interest, this weekend, from all local dealers. We're good on financing from them, but I doubt an auction would come up in time. We hadn't really intended to shop seriously until a confluence of factors (the sale came up, and then why spend money fixing both current cars after the break-ins, when we can use that towards the new one we've been needing)?

We're going to talk to them tomorrow and see if we can get a extension on that teaser or something. But it's one of those "local bank helps local dealers" type deals so I'm not holding my breath.

Ironically, the Fed just cut rates again so maybe that would come to our favor...

Surprised that DeanH hasn't chimed in. Where are you? You rip on customers constantly, yet here I'm that rare honorable sap that wants to reward a great dealer but is kind of stuck...

While I like to work with good dealers, at the end of the day I'm there to buy a product, not build friendships. If they don't have the product you want then I'd be going to where they had the product I wanted.

If the sale is this weekend and you have an established relationship with this dealer call and talk to "your" salesperson or the "used car manager" and tell him exactly what your looking for. Tell him that the model you want is at X dealership. With some notice he may be able to either swap for that specific model or he'll be able to find another Freestyle offered through Ford/from auction/from another "partner" dealer. Let them know what you want and they might be able to put it all together with a couple of days notice. If not, you tried to give your business to the "good" dealer - I'd feel even less guilty then moving to the other dealer.

As far as the Freestyle I've haven't heard any complaints about them beyond the brakes being "weak." I've heard gripes about the CVT but nothing regarding reliability, just that people want something that "shifts." I still think the Freestyle, err "Taurus X" is the best vehicle Ford makes. Buy it, fill it with kids/stuff/junk/"lifestyle equipment", and enjoy it.

Scott

Well,

I buy from the delar that gives me the best deal possible. Typically, I buy from one that actually has the vehicle that I want. You almost always get a better deal buying from their inventory.

I have bought vehicles from four local Ford dealerships. All three treated me about the same, ( average to poor ) so I see no reason to give them any loyalty.

P.S. I hate white cars as well....

Edited by sranger

Simple.....go and make the deal at the dealership you "hate"....since you will be more inclined to hold your line and get a better price. Also, let the dealership that you "like" know that while you like them, XYZ dealership has the vehicle you want but that you will be bringing it back to your "good" dealership for all services. If they are truely "good"...they will understand and continue to work for your business....of course, you can just ask them to find one you want.....

Just buy a used Panther from CarMax. :doh:

LOL I hear ya on that one.

Actually, the "good" dealer is one who handles the state contract for police cruisers. So if you want a CVPI, or even a "non-retail" CV, they're the ones to go to.

I know this because for some morbid reason, I have thought about it... But only because I've always wanted a "Bluesmobile" and, well... actually buying a 1974 Dodge Monaco just isn't a good idea. As if you could even find one. :lol:

Edited by goingincirclez