GM ON STRIKE!!!

Xtremesynthetic

The beginning of the end was when Hermisillo opened a Ford plant. This is a stake to preserve what we have. Unlike previous contracts they are looking for concessions, the UAW is not making demands they are trying to preserve what we have already been given!

That is the point. The companies cannot afford to be competitive with the current benefit/salary package the UAW members are enjoying. Therefore they are looking for concessions. The UAW was quoted as saying they were surprised and shocked at GMs hardline approach to this matter. Are they kidding??? They are fighting for the survival of the company!!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LETS BE REAL JUST FOR A MOMENT!! BOTH THE UAW AND MANAGEMENT COME TO THESE AGREEMENTS AND BOTH HAVE THE ABILITY TO APPROVE OR DENIE THESE CONTRATS. BOTTOM LINE IS THAT THEY NEED TO START WORKING TOGETHER, AND BE HONEST AND OPEN ABOUT ALL ASPECTS OF THE CONTRACT.

THE UNION ALSO HAS NOT PRICED IT SELF OUT OF THE MARKET. NO ONE CAN COMPETE WITH THIRD WORLD COUNTRIES ON WAGES AND BENEFITS. FREE TRADE IS ALSO A LARGE STICKING POINT, WHEN YOU HAVE TO ALL THESE FOREIGN CAR COMPANIES BRING THEIR PRODUCTS IN OUR COUNTRY FOR FREE AND WE GET STUCK PAYING ALL KINDS OF TARIFFS WHEN WE BRING OUR PRODUCTS INTO THEIR COUNTRY'S THIS IS JUST NOT FAIR.

HEALTHCARE IS REALLY REDICULAS, THIS IS SUCH AN EASY SUBJECT TO SOLVE BUT BECAUSE OF POLITICS THEY WON'T FIX THIS PROBLEM. I MEAN BOTH SIDE ON THIS SUBJECT. YES, ASK ME HOW TO SOLVE IT. I HAVE ALREADY WRITTEN ABOUT THIS SEVERAL TIMES.

UAW HAS ALREADY BENT OVER BACKWARDS FOR GM, FORD AND CHRYSLER. LETS GET SOME HELP FROM THE OTHER SIDE FOR ONCE.

WE NEED TO STICK TOGETHER ON THIS PEOPLE, THIS IS YOUR FUTURE!!

Exactly!

The UAW is fighting the right fight, but at the wrong time. :shades: Outside of the Rust Belt, not many people will be supporting labor. Most people feel that the companies needs concisions and support from the UAW.

If the strike goes more than a week, the Big 3 will lose more customers that will not come back for years. If the strike goes on for more than a month, the Big 3 will move the plants outside of the UAW reach.

At least the profit sharing issue was agreed upon. :hysterical:

I believe what you say in the first part of your statement, but those same people know that us that live in the rust belt spend alot of money in their states. So they might want to rethink their position.

That is the point. The companies cannot afford to be competitive with the current benefit/salary package the UAW members are enjoying. Therefore they are looking for concessions. The UAW was quoted as saying they were surprised and shocked at GMs hardline approach to this matter. Are they kidding??? They are fighting for the survival of the company!!

You know what dude, for weeks we have been debating the contract and possibility of a strike. Most were in disbelief as I warned them that it could happen. Just because the have walked doesn't afford you or anyone else to distort reality. Isn't it suspect that that the only place they didn't show a profit was in NA. I don't believe that the could not have reflected a profit if it would have been advantages to them. They are continueing to show a loss of market share but they reduced capacity by 22% of coarse their not going to sell as many! As far as being competitive, I can sight more than one current Ford product that is better in styling, handling, and performance than our Japanese rivals and cost less to boot while paying union wages! They have been posturing for this contract since Delphi filed bankruptcy, they got away with it too because Delphi was a subsidiary and GM turned their back on them. STRIKE!!! STRIKE!!! STRIKE!!!

Edited by Furious1Auto

You know what dude, for weeks we have been debating the contract and possibility of a strike. Most were in disbelief as I warned them that it could happen. Just because the have walked doesn't afford you or anyone else to distort reality. Isn't it suspect that that the only place they didn't show a profit was in NA. I don't believe that the could not have reflected a profit if it would have been advantages to them. They are continueing to show a loss of market share but they reduced capacity by 22% of coarse their not going to sell as many! As far as being competitive, I can sight more than one current Ford product that is better in styling, handling, and performance than our Japanese rivals and cost less to boot while paying union wages! They have been posturing for this contract since Delphi filed bankruptcy, they got away with it too because Delphi was a subsidiary and GM turned their back on them. STRIKE!!! STRIKE!!! STRIKE!!!

Do you guys give your 3 days notice today and then join them on the picket line?

That is the stupidest statement I have ever heard.....the Union and management agreed to those terms of past contracts...the UAW bargained in good faith....

GO Union, stand tall and proud!

You like to use the saying "bargaining in good faith". That does not include giving in to the Unions demands. It is not 1957, times have changed. The union has priced itself out of the market, forcing the companies to look elsewhere for labor. This is the beginning of the end for the UAW. :stirpot:

The UAW is fighting the right fight, but at the wrong time. :shades: Outside of the Rust Belt, not many people will be supporting labor. Most people feel that the companies needs concisions and support from the UAW.

If the strike goes more than a week, the Big 3 will lose more customers that will not come back for years. If the strike goes on for more than a month, the Big 3 will move the plants outside of the UAW reach.

At least the profit sharing issue was agreed upon. :hysterical:

Yet another quote from somebody who doesn't have a clue. The UAW has made concessions, and are willing to make more. Not at the expense of watching more cars leaving the US for other countries to be built. The reason for the VEBA and the 2 tier wage concessions is to bring us all in line with the transplants. A part of that has to be about job security. Many cars sold here are made in other countries other than Mexico. Are they any cheaper than American made cars? No they are not. Are they any better, maybe they use to be, but the big 3 quality is now in line with the rest of the auto companies, and even exceeding some others. If you think that an auto worker is overpaid, your making that judgement based on ignorance. And if you are not motivated to have a part in negotiating your compensation, work rules, or safety, leave the rest of us alone to do what we have a right to do!

When a profit is being made, you reap the profits for everyone and invest in the company.

When the company and industry is in a "no growth period", the best you can hope for is an inflation increase.

When the company is losing money and sales, but the competition is breaking records............... Let's see,....... What should I expect and do?

Only fools do foolish things during furious times.

I'm all for doing what it takes to get a good contract but what image does it send when maybe a few dozen people are picketing on TV (CNBC) but hundreds of cars are hauling ass out of the parking and leaving the area?

I guess they are going home to put their picket clothes on and not looking at this as a day to go home early? I would think some unity would be nice during a strike but maybe I'm wrong.

Before you flame I'm on your side but the GM employees need to realize they just jumped into a media fishbowl.

Good luck!

They were all leaving like that because it was their lunch hour. The local news stated that over and over

I am curious how many years you Strike Strike Strike people have in. This is not a game and will not be fun. I remember this from the 70's and my parent going through this. I am not saying lay down by any means but this is going to be harder than you think.

I'm aware of the implication, and I will help my brothers as much as possible, we still may not even go out. I guess that is up to Ford and their negotiators!

Edited by Furious1Auto

All I can say is: It's about time the UAW stood up and made a stand! Good For Ron and Cal! How much are we expected to absorb? The big 3 can blame all they want on their cost due to our wages and benifits. The facts are plain and easy to see. They are not losing market share because of our wages make our cars to expensive. They are losing market share because they the outsiders(Toyota, Honda) are making cars people want to buy. They are not any cheaper than domestic models. Toyota and Honda have been here for years, even when GM and us where making record profits. Remeber that it was only what 8 years ago? Look Kia makes about the cheapest cars around, and they have limited market share. It's not the cost of our vehicles, it's the design!

Also mentioned above was the plant in Mexico, remind me again of how much those workers make. What is it maybe 25% of what us US workers make? And the Fusion is priced right along with the foriegn counterparts in that market. You would think it would be much cheaper with less overhead. However it is not for one reason and one reason only, they get more bang for the buck or peso whatever. So they can put more money in their corporate pockets. This is about them making money at our expense. We all made a profit 10 years ago, and not that much has changed. They have failed to produce vehicles people want and they use the UAW as a scapegoat.

Enough is Enough

I am curious how many years you Strike Strike Strike people have in. This is not a game and will not be fun. I remember this from the 70's and my parent going through this. I am not saying lay down by any means but this is going to be harder than you think.

I know all of these people know what is at stake here! This is their lively hood. All these UAW people want is a fair contract. As a union they have already given alot of give backs in the form of health care. So please don't come to this forum with ignorance and don't speak to these people like they are going into this strike with blind folds on.

First, I'll bet you drive a forgein car built in the U.S. Secondly, the non big 3 who build cars in the U.S. have nearly the same benefits as UAW workers thanks to the UAW. The big 3 just have more retirees, why do you think the toyotas of the world hope we give in. :finger:

Yet another quote from somebody who doesn't have a clue. The UAW has made concessions, and are willing to make more. Not at the expense of watching more cars leaving the US for other countries to be built. The reason for the VEBA and the 2 tier wage concessions is to bring us all in line with the transplants. A part of that has to be about job security. Many cars sold here are made in other countries other than Mexico. Are they any cheaper than American made cars? No they are not. Are they any better, maybe they use to be, but the big 3 quality is now in line with the rest of the auto companies, and even exceeding some others. If you think that an auto worker is overpaid, your making that judgement based on ignorance. And if you are not motivated to have a part in negotiating your compensation, work rules, or safety, leave the rest of us alone to do what we have a right to do!

Apparently, research on me was not used as the base for your commit. :hysterical: "Yet another quote from somebody who doesn't have a clue." :hysterical:

As an investor in GM and Ford, I too have money riding on this topic.

" If you think that an auto worker is overpaid, your making that judgment based on ignorance."

I don't think that an "auto worker" is overpaid, but I do say compared to the rest of the U.S. of A. blue-collar factory work force, an UAW member is compensated extremely well. I also believe that strong concessions are needed from the UAW. Not just for the economics factor, but also for the Public Relations view.

When profits return, so should the UAW benefits and pay. Not until then.

skittet150

Please do at least "some" research on the person or subject before you start a personal attack. :hysterical:

Apparently, research on me was not used as the base for your commit. :hysterical: "Yet another quote from somebody who doesn't have a clue." :hysterical:

As an investor in GM and Ford, I too have money riding on this topic.

" If you think that an auto worker is overpaid, your making that judgment based on ignorance."

I don't think that an "auto worker" is overpaid, but I do say compared to the rest of the U.S. of A. blue-collar factory work force, an UAW member is compensated extremely well. I also believe that strong concessions are needed from the UAW. Not just for the economics factor, but also for the Public Relations view.

When profits return, so should the UAW benefits and pay. Not until then.

skittet150

Please do at least "some" research on the person or subject before you start a personal attack. :hysterical:

Thank you for affirming my suspicion, and explaining your position! That is all I needed to know!

I'm all for doing what it takes to get a good contract but what image does it send when maybe a few dozen people are picketing on TV (CNBC) but hundreds of cars are hauling ass out of the parking and leaving the area?

I guess they are going home to put their picket clothes on and not looking at this as a day to go home early? I would think some unity would be nice during a strike but maybe I'm wrong.

Before you flame I'm on your side but the GM employees need to realize they just jumped into a media fishbowl.

Good luck!

First you should have a clue before you start running off at the mouth. Each gate has 20-30 people at it and for a quick example.......our plant has about 10 gates so you looking at as much as 300 people. Secondly they only do 4 hour shifts so you are now looking at 6 shifts at 300 people which for a single shift plant would be about an entire shift of about 1800 people not to mention all the people making up the signs, taking care of all the strike fund and picket sign up sheets at the union office. Get a clue.

Thank you for affirming my suspicion, and explaining your position! That is all I needed to know!

I'm a NCO in the USAF since 1982. My small investments in GM and Ford supports my interest in the auto industry and your job. God knows that other than GM this past year, I've not made much out of the Ford investment. :shades:

Don't bite the had that helps to feed you. :hysterical:

I'm a NCO in the USAF since 1982. My small investments in GM and Ford supports my interest in the auto industry and your job. God knows that other than GM this past year, I've not made much out of the Ford investment. :shades:

Don't bite the had that helps to feed you. :hysterical:

I'm also a share holder, and believe that they are going to be showing a profit in short order regardless of whether or not the screw us. Your investment explains your bias, your blogging on this forum to manipulate your profits. You don't give a sh-t about our employees. I prefer to get weekly settlements that will sustain my household rather than a quarterly dividend check.

Edited by Furious1Auto

This is from the USA Today 24 Sept 07:

USA Today

".....He says the strike is more a matter of UAW chief Gettlefinger wanting to appear strong in hopes of organizing auto plants in the South. "His goal is to grow UAW membership by getting into those plants. He can't roll over on these negotiations."

Walters says that pressure to reach an agreement will come from UAW members themselves. "They're going from what I'd guess are an average $1,300 a week gross wages to $200, and they don't get unemployment. It doesn't take long for that to wear kind of thing for a wage-earning family," Walters says...."

1. Is Gettlefinger working for new or current members?

2. Is the average weekly gross wage $1300.00 correct?

3. Or is Walters out to lunch?

This is from the USA Today 24 Sept 07:

USA Today

".....He says the strike is more a matter of UAW chief Gettlefinger wanting to appear strong in hopes of organizing auto plants in the South. "His goal is to grow UAW membership by getting into those plants. He can't roll over on these negotiations."

Walters says that pressure to reach an agreement will come from UAW members themselves. "They're going from what I'd guess are an average $1,300 a week gross wages to $200, and they don't get unemployment. It doesn't take long for that to wear kind of thing for a wage-earning family," Walters says...."

1. Is Gettlefinger working for new or current members?

2. Is the average weekly gross wage $1300.00 correct?

3. Or is Walters out to lunch?

That's propagated to divide us, and to dissolve our support. Guess what it didn't work I will stand behind Ron until they have come to agreement!

First you should have a clue before you start running off at the mouth. Each gate has 20-30 people at it and for a quick example.......our plant has about 10 gates so you looking at as much as 300 people. Secondly they only do 4 hour shifts so you are now looking at 6 shifts at 300 people which for a single shift plant would be about an entire shift of about 1800 people not to mention all the people making up the signs, taking care of all the strike fund and picket sign up sheets at the union office. Get a clue.

Excuse the hell out of me. All I know is what CNBC showed which was maybe a few dozen pickets at a gate or two and hundreds of cars hauling ass shortly thereafter. Apparently the people at the gates didn't need to move their cars? I don't really give a shit because as I've said I'm on the hourly persons side and relaying what I see on CNBC which is also the same thing everyone that thinks you are being overpaid and foolish for striking sees as well.

Both my grandfathers and great grandfathers retired from MI GM plants so once again I'm not your enemy.

Good Luck!

Edited by Automotive Paint

hasn't anyone thought that GM wanted this strike so they can get rid of some of there overstocked inventory. It's been said many times that a short strike would benifit GM. Maybe they just got what they wanted!!!!!!!!!!

Yeh O.K. they wanted to reduce inventory without workers to build more once they've been reduced, genius!

I'm also a share holder, and believe that they are going to be showing a profit in short order regardless of whether or not the screw us. Your investment explains your bias, your blogging on this forum to manipulate your profits. You don't give a sh-t about our employees. I prefer to get weekly settlements that will sustain my household rather than a quarterly dividend check.

"...You don't give a sh-t about our employees..."

How can you think that? I want the auto industry jobs to stay here. Not overseas, not in Canada and not in Mexico. I want them to stay here in the United States. However, if the UAW forces the Big 3 to pay "grossly" more than the market value for blue-collar jobs.....

I ask you, 'Should every blue-collar factory Union job in the U.S. of A. make as much as a UAW member?" If not, why?