Ridgeline Production Cut Again

ANTAUS

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off topic, but what do you guys think of the idea to replace the Humvee wiht a miltary version of the small International truck? I think the Army's about to make a huge mistake by getting bigger. I actually think the Humvee maybe too big for a patrol vehicle. Certinaly there are some survivability things that could be improved, but the Humves is as big as I would want in city steeets. But my expierience is limited to my engineers desk, and my conversations with a few friends in the Ranger battalion (the guys in Afganistan stipped them bare compared to Iraq where they are loaded heavy with armor).

I really can't comment as I didn't use them extensively in the field. My experience was limited to riding around with the Marines and asking a LOT of questions since I was very interested in the machine.

But with the "new" world that we are in, the machine may simply not be the one they need. Think about it, the Jeep was only around for a little over 30 years before the Army started searching for a replacement. On that timecycle, it's getting close to time to replace the hummer.

Off topic, but what do you guys think of the idea to replace the Humvee wiht a miltary version of the small International truck? I think the Army's about to make a huge mistake by getting bigger. I actually think the Humvee maybe too big for a patrol vehicle. Certinaly there are some survivability things that could be improved, but the Humves is as big as I would want in city steeets. But my expierience is limited to my engineers desk, and my conversations with a few friends in the Ranger battalion (the guys in Afganistan stipped them bare compared to Iraq where they are loaded heavy with armor).

I haven't read anything about the humvee getting replaced by an International Truck. I know the Marines and Army are looking at replacements now that come pre armored and the armor level can be increased as the threat is higher. THe Humvee was designed with the cold war in mind..with fixed battle fronts, not what we are facing today. I've heard complaints about the Humvee's size also, considering its about twice as wide as the old jeep was, but then again the Jeep flipped at an alarming rate from what I understand. I know the rangers are using a MB Wolf as the basis as a patrol vehicle, because the hummer is so big.

I've also seen a prototype vechicle based on a Ford F-250 frame that has an armored cab mounted to it...LOL :)

Army TAAC is in the process of working on the Humvee replacement. Navistar/International and Lockheed were downselected as the prefered supplier recently. AM General, current Humvee maker, and Stewart & Stevenson were the ones that missed out in the next round of development. The article says the next round requires the two companies required to build prototypes and present them for testing in 18 months. Probably 2+ yrs away from either company getting the contract and 5+ yrs away from it being fielded.

Here's an article in Crain's Chicago Buissness.

Navistar makes short list to replace Humvee

This Navistar comment makes it sound like they are going to make it bigger... “The new tactical utility vehicle we are developing will more than handle the challenging military applications that emerge in today’s combat environments, and we’re enthusiastic about the opportunity to develop this next-generation utility vehicle for our troops.†Of course more payload and survivability capability doesn't have to mean bigger, but often does.

Edited by Kris Kolman

I am Extremly happy the Ridgecrap isnt selling, and I will be even happier when there other products end up like the Ridgecrap, so I can go on there forums and rip them about there product and their employees and wish them unemployment and suffering like they do to the domestic employees, "What comes around goes around"

Stop worring about the Ridgeline. I heard from a very reliable source that the vehicle has been cancelled.

I wonder what positive spin the media will put on this one....Truck of the Year......give me a break.

Stop worring about the Ridgeline. I heard from a very reliable source that the vehicle has been cancelled.

I wonder what positive spin the media will put on this one....Truck of the Year......give me a break.

"HONDA CHOOSES NOT TO MAKE RIDGELINE A TIRED LOOK MOVES ON" if not that they will come up with something.

The ridgeline is just like the Element(and Aztek, and Baja), it will only attract so many Honda customers for a short time, and then that will be it. Its not a 'conquest' vehicle where Ford people are running to it. We do get Honda people(who come in in a honda) asking about the Sport Trac to try out before they get the Ridgeline. Between the new, finally attractive(I would venture to say VERY attractive) avalance, and the upcoming sport trac, it will just dwindle along in sales for a few years and go away. Honda needs to realize there are so many vehicles that you can make(and sell in quantity) that evolve from the Accord or Civic platforms with only 2 engines in the company.

Edited by kevinb120

• 2 weeks later...
I got one stuck (temporatly) out at Fort Sill back many moons ago ;)

We had CUCV's in the Guard for the most part..full size Blazers with 6.2L diesel...what a POS :)

Fort Sill....wooo-hoooo! Home of Atomic Annie!!! :happy feet:

The ridgeline is just like the Element(and Aztek, and Baja), it will only attract so many Honda customers for a short time, and then that will be it. Its not a 'conquest' vehicle where Ford people are running to it. We do get Honda people(who come in in a honda) asking about the Sport Trac to try out before they get the Ridgeline. Between the new, finally attractive(I would venture to say VERY attractive) avalance, and the upcoming sport trac, it will just dwindle along in sales for a few years and go away. Honda needs to realize there are so many vehicles that you can make(and sell in quantity) that evolve from the Accord or Civic platforms with only 2 engines in the company.

Hated the Asstek (even though GM tried to force it down the country's throat) but I kinda liked the Baja. (just kinda not lots and lots)