One touch Integrated Start?

Harleyscooter

A friend's wife just bought a new Camry hybrid. Parked it and went for a 2 hour walk on a nature trail. Thought she turned it off but she didn't, so every few minutes the engine would start to keep the batteries charged.

The engine cycles like that, NOT to charge any batteries, after all, sitting parked would not discharge the Hybrid Battery Pak. It cycles to keep the catalist HOT so it remains in emission compliance. The vehicle has a 12V. battery to run everything else, but the drivetrain.

The engine cycles like that, NOT to charge any batteries, after all, sitting parked would not discharge the Hybrid Battery Pak. It cycles to keep the catalist HOT so it remains in emission compliance. The vehicle has a 12V. battery to run everything else, but the drivetrain.

That makes more sense. Thanks.

I see you did not reply to LincolnFan. :speedie:

Uhh, yeah I did.

"Who holds stuff while they start the car? Besides that, you still have to put out your hand to almost the exact same spot, or possible the same spot and push a button. Why not just turn the key?"

I do see the advantage in not having to touch the keys to get in the door though.

Edited by suv_guy_19

"Otis" or One Touch Start (OTS) will soon be standard on all Ford NA products.

Think of your car like a computer.

Turning the key to the Start position sends a request to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) that you would like the to enter the "Run Mode". The rest is up to the PCM.

Turning the key to the Off position tells the PCM that you are done using your engine and that when the PCM is doing the necessary "clean up" that the engine can be placed in the "Off Mode". Compute Controled Shutdown (CCS) has actually been on most/all NA cars for about 3 years now.

Your ignition key is just a input to the PCM. The PCM controls your engine from startup to shutdown !

This functionality was added in order to

• reduce hard start/no start TGW
  • enable Pushbutton Start/Stop on some/all models
  • enable remote start on some/all models

I would hate to see that computer having a software glitch....

Who holds stuff while they start the car? Besides that, you still have to put out your hand to almost the exact same spot, or possible the same spot and push a button. Why not just turn the key?

When your holding grocery and try to open the door, no matter how you spin it, it's going to be annoying. The touch-unlock system helps a lot and you don't even have to touch the keys in your pocket, you get in the car and start it while putting the grocery bag in the car, I admit the last part isn't that much but still.

Hey my Focus has one of the weirdiest spots for the ignition, I almost never get it right without looking.

Edited by LincolnFan

Uhh, yeah I did.

"Who holds stuff while they start the car? Besides that, you still have to put out your hand to almost the exact same spot, or possible the same spot and push a button. Why not just turn the key?"

I do see the advantage in not having to touch the keys to get in the door though.

:doh: OOPS!!!!! I didn't see it!

Edited by Furious1Auto

• 3 weeks later...
<snip> This functionality was added in order to
  • reduce hard start/no start TGW
  • enable Pushbutton Start/Stop on some/all models
  • enable remote start on some/all models

There's one more: if you turn the key to START while the engine is already running, the system will not engage the starter motor.