One touch Integrated Start?

Harleyscooter

Hi everyone I am new here, but we have a 08 Edge Limited on order. I have

researched most of the new stuff on the 08 model but what is the One Touch Integrated Start and how

does it function?

Thanks

integrated start? is it a dealer accessory? then it is a remote start system - that has been around for a while .. but if it is "integrated" - could Ford be putting a push button start into the Edge? That would be news.

Igor

integrated start? is it a dealer accessory? then it is a remote start system - that has been around for a while .. but if it is "integrated" - could Ford be putting a push button start into the Edge? That would be news.

Igor

It is listed under 08 standard features/ mechanical. I have not seen anything else on it though.

From a different thread:

I guess that's where I am confused, I find that quote saying the same thing as we have allways done,

put the key in the ignition switch and turn it? I was thinking it was something like a friend has on his vette,

he carries a little keychain device gets in the car, applies the brake pedal and pushes a start button on the

dash. Thanks for the reply, it sounds like the one touch start is not going to be anything special.

I guess that's where I am confused, I find that quote saying the same thing as we have allways done,

put the key in the ignition switch and turn it? I was thinking it was something like a friend has on his vette,

he carries a little keychain device gets in the car, applies the brake pedal and pushes a start button on the

dash. Thanks for the reply, it sounds like the one touch start is not going to be anything special.

No, it's not the same as you've always done. Now you have to hold the key in the start position until it starts. Now typically that's right away but not always. With this you turn the key once and release it and it will continue to run the starter until the engine actually starts. At least that's how I read it.

There is a rumor the new Lincoln MKS will have the keyless go system you described.

This sounds exactly like what I have on my 2008 escape hybrid. You put the key in the ignition, turn the key and iinstantly let go. There is a delay for a second or two and then the engine starts o it's own. You do not hold the key until the engine starts. It feels strange at first until you get used to it.

Here is a description from an article about the 2008 Mariner:

Mariner is one of the first Ford Motor Company vehicles to feature One-Touch Integrated Start. This feature lets the driver put the key in the ignition, turn it once and then let go - like electronic “start” buttons that are becoming common on luxury cars.

Edited by dwg

This sounds exactly like what I have on my 2008 escape hybrid. You put the key in the ignition, turn the key and iinstantly let go. There is a delay for a second or two and then the engine starts o it's own. You do not hold the key until the engine starts. It feels strange at first until you get used to it.

Here is a description from an article about the 2008 Mariner:

Mariner is one of the first Ford Motor Company vehicles to feature One-Touch Integrated Start. This feature lets the driver put the key in the ignition, turn it once and then let go - like electronic “start” buttons that are becoming common on luxury cars.

IMO, a little useless.

... turn the key and instantly let go. There is a delay for a second or two and then the engine starts on it's own.

What's with the delay? So everytime I go to start, I'll have a split second of anxiety that my battery is dead? Also, what were to happen if you held the key in the turned position assuming you didn't know any better? Does it get confused? How the hell do you turn if off?

What's with the delay? So everytime I go to start, I'll have a split second of anxiety that my battery is dead? Also, what were to happen if you held the key in the turned position assuming you didn't know any better? Does it get confused? How the hell do you turn if off?

For some reason I can't imagine any of this confusing a normal person.

It's a hybrid. The battery isn't gonna be dead unless you drive it on batteries for a bunch of miles after you run out of gas.

It ignores you if you hold the key on Start.

You turn it off by switching it back to Off or Acc.

Igor

Push button start should be the standard in all vehicles!

Edited by Furious1Auto

For some reason I can't imagine any of this confusing a normal person.

It's a hybrid. The battery isn't gonna be dead unless you drive it on batteries for a bunch of miles after you run out of gas.

It ignores you if you hold the key on Start.

You turn it off by switching it back to Off or Acc.

Do you even know what your taking about? This is an Edge forum, YOU explain to me, how you can drive the Edge on batteries after you run out of gas.

Do you even know what your taking about? This is an Edge forum, YOU explain to me, how you can drive the Edge on batteries after you run out of gas.

If you read up a little higher you will see that the first vehicle to get this was the Escape hybrid, I guess he didn't realize they were referring to the Edge.

I am sorry if my post was confusing. I did realize this is an edge forum. I posted the original response based on the fact that we are talking about a feature that is on my car and will be on the 2008 edge.

Originally I thought the ignition was the way it was because of the fact that the car is a hybrid. After reading this thread and doing some research I realized it is also on the standard version Mariner as indicated by the statement below and will be on additional models as well.

"Mariner is one of the first Ford Motor Company vehicles to feature One-Touch Integrated Start. This feature lets the driver put the key in the ignition, turn it once and then let go - like electronic “start” buttons that are becoming common on luxury cars."

This was a discription of the regular Mariner not a hybrid.

Why??? Whats so good about it?

It's much eaiser to turn on the car if you were holding some stuff, and usually push button start come with a much more convinent feature, a sensor that can sense the keys in your pocket, so you don't even have to touch your keys to open the door, just by touched the door knob the door gets unlocked.

It's a nefty feature which should be standard on every vehicle sold nowadays.l

It's much eaiser to turn on the car if you were holding some stuff, and usually push button start come with a much more convinent feature, a sensor that can sense the keys in your pocket, so you don't even have to touch your keys to open the door, just by touched the door knob the door gets unlocked.

It's a nefty feature which should be standard on every vehicle sold nowadays.l

Who holds stuff while they start the car? Besides that, you still have to put out your hand to almost the exact same spot, or possible the same spot and push a button. Why not just turn the key?

A friend's wife just bought a new Camry hybrid. Parked it and went for a 2 hour walk on a nature trail. Thought she turned it off but she didn't, so every few minutes the engine would start to keep the batteries charged. Didn't hurt anything but totally killed the fuel mileage for that tank.

The biggest advantage I see is not needing a lock cylinder for the ignition.

"Otis" or One Touch Start (OTS) will soon be standard on all Ford NA products.

Think of your car like a computer.

Turning the key to the Start position sends a request to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) that you would like the to enter the "Run Mode". The rest is up to the PCM.

Turning the key to the Off position tells the PCM that you are done using your engine and that when the PCM is doing the necessary "clean up" that the engine can be placed in the "Off Mode". Compute Controled Shutdown (CCS) has actually been on most/all NA cars for about 3 years now.

Your ignition key is just a input to the PCM. The PCM controls your engine from startup to shutdown !

This functionality was added in order to

• reduce hard start/no start TGW
  • enable Pushbutton Start/Stop on some/all models
  • enable remote start on some/all models

...The biggest advantage I see is not needing a lock cylinder for the ignition.

There is a government anti-theft requirement that the steering column and transmission shifter (on automatics) be "locked". I guess this could be dome with electronics and a solenoid, but I haven't heard of anyone doing it yet, except in some custom/concept cars.

There is a government anti-theft requirement that the steering column and transmission shifter (on automatics) be "locked". I guess this could be dome with electronics and a solenoid, but I haven't heard of anyone doing it yet, except in some custom/concept cars.

The Floor shifter in the Edge is already doing this. Their is no mechanical linkage from the steering wheel to it. Case in point, put your shifter in neutral and try to remove the key. It will not be allowed until the shifter is placed in park. On the same note, you can not pull the shifter out of park, until the brake pedal is depressed, this is all electrically controlled. Lastly, when the shifter is replaced, it's just a 4 bolt to the floor-pan, a mechanical link to the transmission and electrical hookup for the light and solenoid.