Automotive News: GM to Build Small RWD Cars

Harley Lover

DETROIT — In an unauthorized revelation on Friday, UAW officials disclosed General Motors’ plans to produce a small rear-wheel-drive vehicle architecture code-named Alpha.

The revelation came as the UAW publicized GM’s pledge to invest in future vehicles for 16 assembly plants — a pledge the union won this week during its contract negotiations with GM.

GM will build two body styles of the new Alpha vehicle, which will begin production in 2011. GM’s plant in Lordstown, Ohio, will assemble it.

GM has not unveiled a concept version of the vehicle, said a source familiar with the program.

“It’s an all-new architecture that does not exist in the portfolio now,” the source said. “It is in the compact area but bigger than the Gamma. It’s more like a small entry-level vehicle that would be more luxury-inclined, like a BMW used to be.”

The source would not say which of GM’s eight brands would get the vehicle. GM executives have previously said that Pontiac would be the brand of choice for “affordable” rear-wheel-drive cars.

News of the Alpha — along with other extensive details about GM’s product plans — were included in the UAW’s contract highlights. The union will distribute the highlights to its members this week in advance of the contract ratification vote.

A small lightweight car better have a great traction control system or there won't be many sold in the Northern states. Many enthusiasts around these boards call me crazy when I say that I prefer FWD in midsize and compact cars. When the car is light the engine and transmission weight over the drive wheels really does help. I have no problem with RWD IF an AWD version is offered. AWD is really the best solution for traction.

Edited by 2005Explorer

In a rapidly segmenting market it makes sense to hurry into niches where possible. The rear-wheel drive small car is quite possibly the lowest hanging fruit right now. It'll be a niche vehicle, but probably one of the bigger niches around - say 50-100K/year. I'm surprised it's not going to be based on Kappa, but there you have it.

A sporty, fun-to-drive, inexpensive car? Sounds like a winner to me.

Scott

chevette_resized.jpg

Why is it that this was the first thing I thought of when I read this headline?

Seriously: Where is the volume to support this car coming from? I mean if they are claiming this is an 'all new platform', how will it generate enough revenue to pay for ongoing maintenance? I mean in the Greek alphabet soup going on over at GM, I wonder how this "Kappa Alpha Zeta Sigma" thing plays out....

01-1024.jpg
Seriously: Where is the volume to support this car coming from? I mean if they are claiming this is an 'all new platform', how will it generate enough revenue to pay for ongoing maintenance? I mean in the Greek alphabet soup going on over at GM, I wonder how this "Kappa Alpha Zeta Sigma" thing plays out....

Try this article from Winding Roads in March this year - LINK

I suspect that Holden is the driving force behind making Holden and Pontiac products on the same platforms and they're also behind the BMW wannabe aspirations - that's what was sold to Lutz and he ate it up.

I think you'll find that the Alpha will fill smaller vehicle needs for Pontiac (G6) in the states, but not Cadillac. The CTS will continue as the smallest Cadillac offering in North America as Lutz knows you can't sell a compact Caddy for $30K in the USA. Instead, the Alpha platform replace the poor performing Cadillac BLS in Europe.

Holden are doing the design and development on the samller RWD Alpha platform as part of their need for smaller lighter Commodore models compared to the current Zeta based crop. Everyone down here is fully aware they want Commodore on Alpha by 2011. We've already seen it as the 2004 Torana Concept.

Edited by jpd80

Try thinking of this:

01-1024.jpg

This article from Winding Roads in March this year - LINK

I suspect that Holden is the driving force behind making Holden and Pontiac products on the same platforms and they're also behind the BMW wannabe aspirations - that's what was sold to Lutz and he ate it up.

Holden are doing the design and development again on the samller RWD Alpha platform as part of reducing size and weight on its own Zeta based Commodore models. Everyone down here is fully aware they want Commodore on Alpha by 2011. We've already seen it as the 2004 Torana Concept.

I think you'll find that the Alpha will fill smaller vehicle needs for Pontiac (not Cadillac), in the states and replace the poor performing Cadillac BLS in Europe. The CTS will continue as the smallest Cadillac offering in North America as Lutz knows you can't sell a compact Caddy for $30K in the USA.

[/url]

Good post as usual.

Don't rule out Cadillac getting a version of the next-gen BLS in the US. I'm not sure if Lutz is right on Cadillac; the CTS has become quite large and there is room underneath.

Ford found out that it is very difficult if not impossible to develop a small RWD platform from a larger one when an attempt was made to use DEW (D2) as a donor to what is now the X-Type. Is just doesn't work. Which is why BMW has separate platforms for each of its major car entries.

BMW is obviously very successful with the 3-series and will be bringing the 1-series (in coupe form) to the US. What a hot car both in terms of looks and performance when equipped with the twin turbo 6!

I think there is room for a smaller Cadillac entry.

Likewise thanks for the great post jpd. I can't believe I am thinking about buying a Pontiac in a few years. Isn't the Torana from 2004 though? Is that still something being developed moving forward?

The Torana Legend Lives Again

Australian International Motor Show, 7 October 2004: Holden today revived a famous Australian nameplate when it took the covers off a sensational show car called Torana TT36.

Holden drew on General Motors' global resources to build the hot pink Torana TT36, which is powered by an experimental 280kW twin turbo 3.6 litre Alloytec V6 engine, sports a glass roof and showcases bold directional design themes.

Not for production, this mid-sized hatch concept demonstrates the strength and versatility of Holden's design talent to a worldwide audience and emphasises its ability to react swiftly to changing customer demand.

Torana TT36 highlights Holden's rear wheel drive powertrain engineering expertise and the practical benefits to be gained by sharing GM global suspension and chassis components and modular structural systems.

The new millennium hot hatch pays homage to Holden's Bathurst-winning icon car of the seventies, the Torana A9X. It is 25 years since the revered V8-powered Torana A9X last conquered Mount Panorama and wrote itself into Australian automotive legend.

Holden Chairman and Managing Director, Denny Mooney, today said he believed the Torana's spiritual successor showed how times continued to change in the automotive industry.

"Torana TT36 represents a revolution in concept car design at Holden. We've unveiled several examples of our design flexibility and build capability in recent years but this car is exceptional for yet another reason," Mr Mooney said.

"All recent showcars have been based on our Commodore V-car platform. Torana TT36, on the other hand, shares many basic structural elements with the latest GM sports concepts and much of its chassis componentry is sourced directly from GM.

"It is the first Holden showcar to merge Australian design and engineering expertise with GM technical resources. Quite simply, for us it is a 'game changer' in automotive design and production.

"Naming the concept car was easy. We knew many fans would immediately call it Torana because it is a high powered, mid-size, rear wheel drive hot hatch. The TT36 stands for Twin Turbo 3.6."

The twenty-first century Torana has slingshot performance potential. Its experimental 3.6 litre twin turbo Alloytec V6, hand-built at Holden's new Port Melbourne engine plant, produces 280kW of power, transferred to the tarmac via a heavy-duty six speed manual transmission.

Ninety per cent of the 480Nm of torque developed is available from just 1600 rpm and the TT36 shares the power-to-weight advantage that helped its A9X sporting predecessor to drive into the record books at Mount Panorama a quarter of a century ago.

The four-seater showcar is finished in luminous, look-at-me pink - dubbed 'ManGenta' by the trend-spotting stylists who created it - contrasted against a slick new-tech interior in minimalist black and white. A panoramic glass roof extends from the steeply raked windscreen all the way back to the hatch and the TT36 sits on 20-inch, ten-spoke alloys.

The project was originally named XP54, reflecting the acronym 'eXperimental Project' and coded 54 in recognition of Holden's so-called Studio 54 design workshop in the outer suburbs of Melbourne.

Holden Design Director, Tony Stolfo, said the showcar's aggressive, sports-oriented frontal treatment recalled its hard-charging Torana heritage while speaking the design language of the here and now.

"It's very performance-driven in terms of the size of the apertures, the air intakes and grille. The fenders and quarter panels are pumped to accentuate width and stance," he said.

"It also displays some of the key proportions we'll see in future cars generally: front wheels forward, minimal overhang, high belt lines and a high deck. All these elements create strength and purpose and deliver expressive contemporary styling.

"The hatch style gives us a very fast line running over the top, and we've given it strong directional lines. In terms of overall design intent, it's far more sophisticated sports machine than street machine.

"And because it's a vehicle which delivers a really large interior compartment in relation to its exterior size, it shows off our packaging skills, which are a traditional Holden strength."

The Torana TT36 interior is an exercise in black and white contemporary cool, described by Holden's young colour and trim team as 'nu luxury'. Taking inspiration from forecast fashion trends in domestic and industrial design, they gave it smoothly sculptured white leather seats and mirror-gloss finishes in piano black and pearlescent perspex, contrasted with soft-feel textures and black techno-mesh rubber floor covering.

The pink exterior theme is picked up in clever LED lighting effects and a 'retro future' 3D instrument layout that can be customised to the driver's taste. Open the door and a full- length lighting strip integrated into the glass roof radiates a healthy pink glow. Press the backlit central starter button to play twin turbo engine idle music. Touch the interactive infotainment screen to control myriad functions - phone, CD, SatNav, DVD, address book and other Blue Tooth-compatible features.

"The Torana TT36 may be simply for show - but it's not about outrageous technology. We consider that something very close to this concept could be practically achievable in the not-too-distant future," Mr Stolfo said.

"It's a first step towards monitoring public reaction to a type of rear-wheel drive vehicle that doesn't exist in today's General Motors portfolio. It could be designed and produced off a number of GM platforms, taking advantage of the virtual maths-based processes and component sharing which enabled us to build this working concept in a very short space of time."

Thanks Austin,

On the Ford side of the equation, the Orion/Huntsman is looking very promising.

When FoA lets go of the I6, they can shorten the front overhang on the Falcon by 4".

At 190" long, that new car is the same length as a Fusion but has more internal leg room than a

Crown Victoria, and 3" extra width in the all important hip/shoulder room than a Taurus.

The only concession is trunk space is about 19 cu ft which is still quite roomy.

The estimated weight is just under 3600 lb which is on the money compared to Taurus.

Likewise thanks for the great post jpd. I can't believe I am thinking about buying a Pontiac in a few years. Isn't the Torana from 2004 though? Is that still something being developed moving forward?

Now, don't get me wrong here, the TT36 is not Alpha, Holden went through the international parts bin searching for parts that already suited the intended use. where Alpha differs is that it will use more unique fit for purpose parts and have far more refined development.

The Torana shows the way Holden and Gm see modern RWD going and a decision was made back in 2004 to convince Bob Lutz that Holden and pontiac should establish themselves as GM's answer to BMW.

The proposal was given to Bob Lutz but he cautiously wanted to see how they did with the Zeta platform first. With that success behind them, it's all systems go. by the time the US receives the Impala, G8 and Camaro, zeta will be on its second revision and any bugs will be well and truely gone.

Now, whether the absolute dedication to RWD by Holden and Pontiac will pay off or not lays with the public. No doubt about it, this is the last of the car guy platforms and Bob Lutz is front and centre.

H has some form of parachuting 12 months before problems start, done it twice already with FoE and Chrysler. Strap in and watch GM take on a FWD market with their new RWD products.

Big question is will Ford follow them or stick with a mix of FWD and RWD products. My thinking by 2011, Ford will combine Fusion and Taurus again as one EUCD based vehicle available as I4 or V6.

Mustang, Falcon, Fairlane and Territory will all be closely related, Panther using common parts or disappearing is not is not clear.

In summary,

GM is going to be fearless reinventing Pontiac as a RWD based performance centre

while Ford will take the slower more conservative route.

I still want to know where the volume is going to come from to keep four RWD platforms up to date.

You have to look at it on a Global level, the Zeta will of course have plenty of products around the world to make the cost well worth wild. The Sigma is probably going away. The next CTS will be a true 5 series competitor since Cadillac will have an Alpha as an entry level vehicle, then add is pontiac and most likely a Holden to the Alpha and the alpha should have enough product to make it worth it. As far as the Kappa, I have no idea, yeah it is global but in everymarket it is just a niche coup convertible, maybe they will kill the kappa and the Alpha can be used as a coupe?

So basically the Zeta and Alpha should have plenty of products, the Sigma will probably die and the Kappa.......well I don't know.

I still want to know where the volume is going to come from to keep four RWD platforms up to date.

At the moment, Kappa and Sigma will continue but I think Alpha ultimately is their replacement.

Zeta continues for D and E sized cars but CTS could become a Zeta or big Alpha.

How much volume do they need if the platforms and development costs are

shared around GM Global, especially if it's only two platforms?

Platforming costs and upgrades for other divisions are really cheap when Holden needs them anyway.

Example, Holden paid for the LWB version of Zeta (US$150 million), you couldn't change the grille on a Crown Victoria for that price.

Edited by jpd80

At the moment, Kappa and Sigma will continue but I think Alpha ultimately is their replacement.

Zeta continues for D and E sized cars but CTS could become a Zeta or big Alpha.

How much volume do they need if the platforms and development costs are

shared around GM Global, especially if it's only two platforms?

Platforming costs and upgrades for other divisions are really cheap when Holden needs them anyway.

Example, Holden paid for the LWB version of Zeta (US$150 million), you couldn't change the grille on a Crown Victoria for that price.

I was just going to say something like this. Alpha would make a good replacement for Kappa. From a volume standpoint it would be a good idea to make the sedans and small sports cars off one platform.

So Cadillac is going to be selling $50k+ cars based on Zeta? How does that work? How do you make a primo luxury sedan that shares its underpinnings with mainstream sedans such as the G8?

I mean it seems you can't have it both ways: You can't say that Cadillac is revitalized and going strong and all that, and at the same time yank its exclusive platform and replace it with one or two shared platforms. Doing that suggests that things aren't all fine and well, and that Cadillac having an exclusive platform was a bust.

Replacing Kappa with Alpha makes sense, but that only nets you an additional 40k vehicles a year.

I'm also having a hard time seeing how GM can get enough volume for Alpha + Zeta. Seemingly, the Camaro is necessary (at a liberal estimate of 100k units per year), for the success of Zeta--or Alpha. It can't help both platforms.

Frankly, the only way any of this makes sense is if you take Sigma off the table. Then you get c. 80-90k units of Cadillac volume for Zeta (probably, to replace the Camaro volume switched to Alpha), but then you've taken Cadillac's pride and joy away from it.

Edited by RichardJensen

GM is laughing at Ford.

Had Ford not made such a cock-up of DEW, it would have been used in everything from a base Falcon right through Mustang and on to Lincoln and Jaguar. Can you not see GM has done exactly the same thing with Zeta? They took Sigma (DEW) and improved its cost base and platform flexibility.

I find your constenation bemusing, GM is not allowed to use Zeta for its premier vehicles yet, Ford is doing similar- the D3 for a Lincoln MKS and asking $45k for a car that sells at $23K. Everything you said about Cadillac can be equally applied to Lincoln.

Don't forget that Impala moves onto zeta as well and Buick will eventually come on board with the Park Avenue, details of Chinese versions will stir buick along - eventually.

As to volume for the Alpha, all I can say is GM feels that confident they're sharing it around with the rest of the world so it may turn up as different cars,maybe something leaked as part of UAW agreement. From the lead article:

GM will build two body styles of the new Alpha vehicle, which will begin production in 2011. GM’s plant in Lordstown, Ohio, will assemble it.

GM has not unveiled a concept version of the vehicle, said a source familiar with the program.

“It’s an all-new architecture that does not exist in the portfolio now,” the source said. “It is in the compact area but bigger than the Gamma. It’s more like a small entry-level vehicle that would be more luxury-inclined, like a BMW used to be.”

The source would not say which of GM’s eight brands would get the vehicle. GM executives have previously said that Pontiac would be the brand of choice for “affordable” rear-wheel-drive cars

Not meaning to get nasty, but if D3 doesn't start getting some decent sales,

it may be side tracked for a platform that can replace a whole mess of different platforms!

Alan Mulally is a figures guy and he would be mighty nervous about total D3 sales at $12K/month.

PS,

Don't forget that Alpha is a mix of Kappa and Zeta parts so it not entirely unique in the grand scheme.

Edited by jpd80

GM is not allowed to use Zeta for its premier vehicles yet, Ford is doing similar- the D3 for a Lincoln MKS and asking $45k for a car that sells at $23K. Everything you said about Cadillac can be equally applied to Lincoln.

No, the MKS will start off a few k above a loaded Taurus (probably $5-7k). It should top out close to $50k.

OTOH, you have Cadillac with all these grandiose plans for an über luxury sedan, presumably to be based on Zeta, and to replace the STS & Deville.

The MKS is not comparable, as it has a much more reasonable price range, given its quotidian roots.

Using a quotidian RWD platform is not sufficient to get you entry to the refined realm of the S-Class, 7-Series, etc. GM would be well advised to remember that every review of this super-sedan will carry these words, "Based on the humble Chevrolet Impala..." or words like them.

If Caddy wants to build something in the MKS price range, then using Zeta makes sense--except as noted, it's no longer exclusive, which renders a lot of the Caddy praise ("at least they have their own platform") invalid.

-----

And to be quite honest, no single platform should underpin everything from a Mustang to a Jaguar. Not unless you want to get the vehicle equivalent of a camel (y'know the joke, right? "What is a camel? A horse designed by committee.").

well in road tests down here they've already compared the luxury Commodore variant, Calais with BMW and Mercedes Benz of similar size and power. The little Aussie did very well and journos were saying it loses out to the Merc but beats the BMW. Beats both by the price, US $80K less

CLASH OF THE TEUTONS

Even allowing for Aussie bias, that's pretty impressive

I'm not saying the Calais is anywhere near the Cadillac standard but the money can be spent

in all the right areas, look at the Chinese Buick park avenue, that car transends any luxury

we've seen in a local! And it's a Zeta too.

Edited by jpd80

Well...this make a lot of damned sense. GM hasn't gotten a large RWD flagship sedan platform figured out over the last decade, much less into production. Or a coupe for that matter. So, lets toss a small RWD sedan into the mix...the one segment that FWD works best in? I predict a rehashed rebadged W-Impala for many years to come.

Edited by Armada Master

Thanks Austin,

On the Ford side of the equation, the Orion/Huntsman is looking very promising.

When FoA lets go of the I6, they can shorten the front overhang on the Falcon by 4".

At 190" long, that new car is the same length as a Fusion but has more internal leg room than a

Crown Victoria, and 3" extra width in the all important hip/shoulder room than a Taurus.

The only concession is trunk space is about 19 cu ft which is still quite roomy.

The estimated weight is just under 3600 lb which is on the money compared to Taurus.

The straight six has nothing to do with overhang, it's where the engineers decide to put the front wheels, see BMW for how to do it right.

The straight six has nothing to do with overhang, it's where the engineers decide to put the front wheels, see BMW for how to do it right.

Yes BMW front overhang is minimal and it does give them better weight distribution within then wheelbase. And not only does BMW's evangelism on MacPherson struts allow them to move the wheels further forward of the bulkhead and small overhangs it also gives them more engine bay width to fit bulky tuned-length exhaust manifolds. However BMW are always prepared to compromise ride quality (or rather vertical suspension travel) with the adoption of MacPherson strut and stiff spring-rates to maintain decent camber control and tyre contact patch geometry. Whereas in the case of the Falcon and DEW variants, with their multilink front suspensions, Ford were not (in the case of the DEW Ford & Jaguar). The other benefit of having the suspension points closer to the bulkhead is potentially increased chassis torsional stiffness, allowing the suspension to it's job and even less spring-rate to maintain acceptable tyre contact patch geometry.

There is no right way to do it, just a way.