GM sales up 4% retail up 7%

igor

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously this makes it hard to see any light at the end of the tunnel for Ford. Why aren't their products selling? The new Taurus, Edge, Fusion, and such are all very competitive, albeit not class leading. It makes me wonder if Ford will ever pull out of this spiral...words of encouragement for a beleaguered ford fan??

Seriously this makes it hard to see any light at the end of the tunnel for Ford. Why aren't their products selling? The new Taurus, Edge, Fusion, and such are all very competitive, albeit not class leading. It makes me wonder if Ford will ever pull out of this spiral...words of encouragement for a beleaguered ford fan??

There are bright spots at Ford that show they KNOW how to do it....Edge, Mustang, F-series....they just need to apply that to the rest of their lineup while keeping their few successful models fresh at the same time.

Toward the end of next year is going to be HUGE for Ford: New Mustang, new F-150, new Fusion, new Fiesta...along with the Flex and MKS joining the fray earlier in the year. If things aren't turning around by the end of '08 as George Pipas has been saying is the goal, I think we can all kiss the future of Ford Motor Company goodbye.

Edited by NickF1011

Not to a negative person, but if things don't change at Ford and Chrysler for that matter, we might all be driving GM products in 5-10 years if we want a domestic automobile. I know if Ford goes down the crapper I will drive a GM before I drive a Japanese car.

Thanks, but I'll drive a Toyota before I'll drive a GM.

The problem is you fdon't get customers by putting out product not as good as your competitor. People are fleeing Ford because they aren't as good. Putting out much better product that still isn't as good isn't going to stop people rom fleeing, and yet they still put out complete assanine redesigns such as the escape and focus. As both of those two segments are blooming Ford market share in those infividual sgments are plummeting.

The problem is you fdon't get customers by putting out product not as good as your competitor. People are fleeing Ford because they aren't as good. Putting out much better product that still isn't as good isn't going to stop people rom fleeing, and yet they still put out complete assanine redesigns such as the escape and focus. As both of those two segments are blooming Ford market share in those infividual sgments are plummeting.

How can you judge that, the new Focus isn't out yet. The Escape is selling what they are building. September was a slow month this year, last September wasn't. Ford gets hit harder because the are missing the commercial sales that they would have were the US not in crisis.

You honestly think a re-skinned Focus is going to save this company? :shades:

No, but it should improve sales, over this month especially since there are none to sell. The magazines are even speaking kindly of i. Its not just re skinned. Its a new interior and exterior, improved nvh....

What is really sad is that the Trailblazer which has not been changed since 2002... which has a solid rear axle, a dash by Mattel, an old 4 speed auto and does not even offer 3rd row seating outsells the Explorer by 4,000 units. 10,000+ for the Explorer and 14,000+ for the Trailblazer. Who says you even need to update products anymore??? When that many more people are choosing a completely outdated, soon to be cancelled SUV over one with a much more advanced design and seating options can only mean that people just don't want a Ford anymore even if they are best in class.

Edited by 2005Explorer

What is really sad is that the Trailblazer which has not been changed since 2002... which has a solid rear axle, a dash by Mattel, an old 4 speed auto and does not even offer 3rd row seating outsells the Explorer by 4,000 units. 10,000+ for the Explorer and 14,000+ for the Trailblazer. Who says you even need to update products anymore??? When that many more people are choosing a completely outdated, soon to be cancelled SUV over one with a much more advanced design and seating options can only mean that people just don't want a Ford anymore even if they are best in class.Do u suppose it has anything to do with fords complete lack of standing behind their product ie. blowing out spark plugs,plugs that won't come out, etc. etc. I think people are sick to death of these types of problems with no help from the manufacturer?? :redcard:

Do u suppose it has anything to do with fords complete lack of standing behind their product ie. blowing out spark plugs,plugs that won't come out, etc. etc. I think people are sick to death of these types of problems with no help from the manufacturer?? :redcard:

Have you seen the discounts on the Trailblazer lately? That's more your reason it's selling better. The TB, overall, is just a cheaper vehicle than the Explorer. Ford also has the Edge digging quite a bit into the Explorer's side. Once the Chevy Traverse comes out, you'll see the TB disappear entirely.

So much doom and gloom on the board since Sep. sales were announced. While visually a 20% drop in sales is disconcerning to me as well, I also view this as a positive in that Ford had held steady to their earlier pledges to reduce fleet sales, hold the line on incentives, and keep inventories in line with true demand.

Keep in mind what is driving this plunge in sales. Sales were down 34,608 units from last year. 22,811 of that was from the "old Taurus". The Focus was down about 5000 units due to limited inventory. And then the F-series was down 14,757 due to being the oldest truck other than the Titan on the market along with Ford's refusal to match Nissan or Dodge in incentives. According to Edmunds, Ford's incentives on the F-150 were over $2000 less than what Dodge was giving. Both GM and Toyota were within $1000.00 of Ford's incentives on their "brand new" trucks. These three vehicles accounted for 42,568 units of loss sales. More than the drop in overall sales.

Unless the new Focus is a complete failure, I suspect that November sales numbers will be way north of 14K. October will still be down a bit due to filling the pipeline with product. Hopefully, the F-150 will be able to stabilize where they are at or maybe little higher for the rest of the year. The real test to Mr. Mulally's resolve will be in November and December when Chevy will be nipping at the heels of the F150. Will he stay true to the course and put profits over ego when it comes time to decide if Ford is going to fight for the sales crown in full-size pickups? Right now, it is blatantly obvious that the F-150 is making more profit per sale than any other pickup on the market when you consider the front loading of amortization for development costs that Toyota and GM are booking with each sale. I'm assuming that it is common practice to amortize more in the early years of a redesign when transaction prices are at their highest.

If the Taurus and Focus don't take off before the end of the year it could be bad news but it is too early to make that determination. Regardless of the negative slant on this board regarding the Focus I believe it has way too much in the form of positive attributes to not be at least a mild success. I consider 16K of natural demand as mild success. And 20K a resounding success. As for Taurus, it is in a segment that nobody is sitting the world on fire in except GM and Chryco with their fleet dumping.

Besides think of the bump in volume for all those Town Car buyers that have not been able to order one from the factory for two months now.

So much doom and gloom on the board since Sep. sales were announced. While visually a 20% drop in sales is disconcerning to me as well, I also view this as a positive in that Ford had held steady to their earlier pledges to reduce fleet sales, hold the line on incentives, and keep inventories in line with true demand.

This is the part we need to remember the most. Sales are down. We all know that. But how do the books look? Ford's inventory levels are good. Losses should be decreasing. We are really seeing the tail end of the downsizing as we near the end of a troubled product cycle for Ford as a whole. By the end of next year we will be seeing a LOT of important updated/new product hitting showrooms: F-150, Mustang, Fusion, Fiesta, and Flex are all going to be signficant contributors to a fresher portfolio available at dealers by the end of 2008. How could sales NOT increase by this time next year? F-150 and Fiesta alone would probably make up for the 34,000 unit decline this month.

Nothing is going to be very rosy until then, but hey, one way to look at it...if sales continue to drop this quick, it won't be as difficult to beat this year's numbers. :hysterical:

This is the part we need to remember the most. Sales are down. We all know that. But how do the books look? Ford's inventory levels are good. Losses should be decreasing. We are really seeing the tail end of the downsizing as we near the end of a troubled product cycle for Ford as a whole. By the end of next year we will be seeing a LOT of important updated/new product hitting showrooms: F-150, Mustang, Fusion, Fiesta, and Flex are all going to be signficant contributors to a fresher portfolio available at dealers by the end of 2008. How could sales NOT increase by this time next year? F-150 and Fiesta alone would probably make up for the 34,000 unit decline this month.

Nothing is going to be very rosy until then, but hey, one way to look at it...if sales continue to drop this quick, it won't be as difficult to beat this year's numbers. :hysterical:

I agree with what you say Nick, the future is going to be a lot better with the new models coming on line for Ford. GM are ahead of Ford because they entered restructuring earlier, still its good to see GM sales are all showing an upward trend is nice to see they have turned things around, great news. Ford should be in the same position in 12-18 months time.

Keep in mind what is driving this plunge in sales. Sales were down 34,608 units from last year. 22,811 of that was from the "old Taurus". The Focus was down about 5000 units due to limited inventory. And then the F-series was down 14,757 due to being the oldest truck other than the Titan on the market along with Ford's refusal to match Nissan or Dodge in incentives. According to Edmunds, Ford's incentives on the F-150 were over $2000 less than what Dodge was giving. Both GM and Toyota were within $1000.00 of Ford's incentives on their "brand new" trucks. These three vehicles accounted for 42,568 units of loss sales. More than the drop in overall sales.

To use this rationale.... you do have to take into account the Edge and MKX which account for 15K additional sales that were not around this time last year.