Chrysler Sales

Anthony

Chrysler LLC Announces Overall September 2007 U.S. Sales Down 5 Percent, With Retail Up and Fleet Down as Planned

* Chrysler brand car sales rise 10 percent over September 2006 led by Sebring Sedan and Convertible

* Jeep® brand sales down 11 percent year-over-year with retail up and fleet down, driven by planned fleet reductions

* Jeep Wrangler sales increased 71 percent versus last year

* Dodge brand sales up 5 percent from the same period last year, driven by Ram Pickup and Nitro

* Dealer inventory down 15 percent or 82,000 units versus September 2006

Auburn Hills, Mich., Oct 2, 2007 -

Chrysler LLC reported U.S. sales for September 2007 of 159,799 units; down 5 percent compared to September 2006 with 168,888 units sold. All sales figures are reported as unadjusted.

“With the overall industry down versus September 2006, Chrysler retail sales remain strong,” said Darryl Jackson, Vice President – U.S. Sales. “Our fleet sales continue to trend down more than 20 percent driving the overall sales decrease for the month. This is directly in line with our plan to reduce daily rental fleet during the second half of the year.”

Chrysler brand car sales were led by Sebring Sedan which posted sales of 4,418 units and Sebring Convertible which finished the month with sales of 1,639 units. Chrysler Aspen sales rose 8 percent versus August 2007 with 3,875 units.

Jeep® brand sales were down 11 percent year-over-year with retail sales up and fleet down driven by planned fleet reductions, while Wrangler posted gains. Jeep Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited posted sales of 8,605 units, up 71 percent versus September 2006.

Dodge brand sales increased 5 percent over last year led by Dodge Ram which posted a gain of 20 percent. The all-new Dodge Nitro was up 2 percent over August 2007.

“Our sell down on 2007 models is going very well and in October we will continue to offer aggressive lease and retail payments for our customers,” said Michael Keegan, Vice President – Volume Planning and Sales Operations. “We will extend the 0% APR offering for 60 months on more 2007 models through the end of the month.”

Chrysler finished the month with 450,733 units of inventory, or a 71-day supply. Inventory is down by 15 percent compared to September 2006 when it was at 533,220 units.

dcx0909.jpg

Ford shouldn't be so quick to give up on the Explorer which sold over 10,000 units this month. It is selling at about the same rate as the Grand Cherokee and better then the Commander. It is also selling way better then the Durango.

The Explorer is a relic in a sense. It does not really share a platform with any other Ford. It also is pretty space inefficient and gets pretty poor mileage (my mom has one, I've driven it plenty. It's nice, but Ford could do better if it was car based like the Acadia/Outlook/Enclave). They shouldn't ignore it, but they should lead it to a common platform that maintains the integrity of the Explorer name. An Explorer that had 4x4 capability and got 22mpg overall would sell like beer to college students.

The Explorer is a relic in a sense. It does not really share a platform with any other Ford. It also is pretty space inefficient and gets pretty poor mileage (my mom has one, I've driven it plenty. It's nice, but Ford could do better if it was car based like the Acadia/Outlook/Enclave). They shouldn't ignore it, but they should lead it to a common platform that maintains the integrity of the Explorer name. An Explorer that had 4x4 capability and got 22mpg overall would sell like beer to college students.

Hey, I never drink.

Hey easy on the Explorer! I love my Explorer. It is the Swiss Army Knife of vehicles. You are right about the fuel economy however. If Ford made an Explorer that was as capable as today's Explorer, but got 22MPG overall...I'd be right in line with the college students!

The Arcadia is, well I guess, okay...but the Buick and Saturn are bloated, ugly messes in my opinion. The Explorer, in my view, belongs on a frame and I believe that the Ranger should be utilizing that frame as well. Vehicles like the new GM trio are for urbanites who feel that they are offroading if their AWD engages while crossing over a grassy median. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't think Ford should simply tack on the Explorer name just for the sake of keeping it around. That really isn't, in my view, maintaining the integrity of the Explorer. For as long as the two have squared off, I have considered the Grand Cherokee and Explorer competition for each other. If the Grand Cherokee is doing fair, then Ford should likewise be able to find appeal with the Explorer. Ford already has the Edge. They don't need another unibody SUV in that size range. The Explorer's best days may be behind it, but that doesn't mean its washed up.

Perhaps Ford should consider Jeep's success with the Wrangler Unlimited and say..."hey, wait a minute. We used to make a Bronco, didn't we." :idea: If anything, send the Explorer name to the showers and pick up the 'Bronco' nameplate. You want to talk heritage...now that is off-roading heritage for FoMoCo right there and with both a 2 door and 4 door, it would offer some good competition to Jeep.

As much of a "relic" as it is, it's still selling in pretty decent volume for a midsize SUV. Sure, it's not selling 30,000 a month like it did in its hey-day, but around 10,000 a month is still pretty respectable and worth continued investment in my opinion. Personally, I think the reason Explorer sales are down so much has more to do with its ridiculously ugly snout than with its fuel economy and versatility. I do agree that they should find some commonality on platforms again, as its current volume isn't quite enough to justify its own chassis.

As for Chrysler....a few bright spots, but eek, their midsize sedans are REALLY not catching on....AT ALL. And what happened to the poor Liberty? A year or so ago that was one of the best-selling (THE best for a few months) small SUV's on the market.

I see a few Avengers here and there for personal use, but the Sebring is like the official military recruiter vehicle around here. If not for the government fleet business, I'm not sure they'd sell any Sebrings.

Sebring has also become the official gas meter reader car around here. I get a pretty good glipse of what's common in rental agencies too as I work right near BWI airport. Almost every Sebring I see on the road has a green "e" on the trunk. Seen very few Fusions that appear to be rental...a tad more for Taurus/FH. A lot of rental Escapes and Calibers also.

The Explorer is a classic case of there being nothing wrong with the name but the product being outdated and not changing to meet shifts in consumer tastes and needs. Ford needs to reformulate the Explorer. However with the introduction of car based crossover vehichles with all new names the segment is already crowded at Ford and transferring the Explorer name to a car based vehicle is just adding another egg to a basket of eggs.

And what happened to the poor Liberty? A year or so ago that was one of the best-selling (THE best for a few months) small SUV's on the market.

The Liberty traditionally appealed more to women looking for something nimble and economical but less crude than a Wrangler. Now Jeep has the Patriot and Compass which are more car-like and fuel efficient while the Wrangler is more Jeep purist and masculine oriented and has added also a four door model.

post-15194-1123212945_thumb.jpg

The Explorer is a classic case of there being nothing wrong with the name but the product being outdated and not changing to meet shifts in consumer tastes and needs. Ford needs to reformulate the Explorer. However with the introduction of car based crossover vehichles with all new names the segment is already crowded at Ford and transferring the Explorer name to a car based vehicle is just adding another egg to a basket of eggs.

The ONLY thing Ford needs to re-formulate on the Explorer is the appearance. Slightly better fuel economy would be nice, but for its capability, it's really not horrific as it is. It's still selling in excess of 10K units a month. That's hardly POOR sales by any means compared to other SUV's on the market. For people to somehow expect the Explorer to return to selling 20,000+ units a month under ANY scenario, no matter how good the vehicle, is simply a pipe dream.

The Explorer, in my view, belongs on a frame and I believe that the Ranger should be utilizing that frame as well. The Explorer's best days may be behind it, but that doesn't mean its washed up.

I think with the shift from very large SUV's to more efficient models, the Explorer can take on the role of the Expedition because there is still a need for BOF SUV's that can tow.

Edited by Watchdevil

And what happened to the poor Liberty? A year or so ago that was one of the best-selling (THE best for a few months) small SUV's on the market.

To be fair, its just ramping up. Last months most dealers didn't have that many yet. It only began production the end of July/beginning of August. Just to keep thing in perspective.

To be fair, its just ramping up. Last months most dealers didn't have that many yet. It only began production the end of July/beginning of August. Just to keep thing in perspective.

Ummm...Liberty is down 33% for the YEAR. I'm sure it hasn't taken them 9 months to "ramp up".

Ummm...Liberty is down 33% for the YEAR. I'm sure it hasn't taken them 9 months to "ramp up".

No, but I also would not expect sales to be as high on a mid year model changeover. Not having a full 9 months of production would obviously hinder that.

Edited by Intrepidatious