Blue Oval Blues - trying to buy honestly

Ok, this is about our experience trying to throw Ford a bone and buy from a Ford dealer, even if the vehicle was used.

I won't be too ranty, but this may be lengthy. In fact I will probably have to add to it in 3 parts (will post the rest if there is interest). So if you don't care to read a lot feel free to move on.

EDIT - Part 2 is on page 2

------------------------------------------

SEPTEMBER 2007

No thanks to some neighborhood hooligans that vandalized both of our T-birds, and a confluence of timing and other financial factors, my wife and I decided to let our bluff be called and go out and buy a used Freestyle. We've driven a number of them before, and while I had my reservations about styling on some trim levels, I liked it overall. Plus they'd come down in price to where we felt comfortable within our budget.

Now before anyone spouts that whole “buying used doesn't help Ford (or any manufacturer) as much as buying new”, well, kindly shut up. There are lots of benefits a used car sale can offer: Our T-birds have seen so amazingly bulletproof reliable over our combined 17 years of ownership that we can espouse nothing but good for Ford to our friends and family – that kind of advertising can't be bought. Said friends and family have witnessed the reliability and satisfaction we enjoyed over a number of years, even as they traded on to their second and third vehicles. We still buy Ford parts. We still go back to Ford dealers when necessary. We'd good experiences that enticed us to remain Ford customers. So for all the talk about “loss-leading B-cars are necessary to bring potential new customers into the fold...” I opine that used cars are just as important. Case closed.

Nonetheless, we decided that buying from a Ford dealer would be a good idea, if a reasonable profit helps them eke by. We didn't specifically have any reason NOT to, as long as they had a car we liked.

Our local dealer is a Ford – Lincoln – Mercury shop that we have dealt with extensively since we moved to our hometown. You guys who complain about 70's woodgrain and console TVs in the waiting room would hate the place, but I couldn't care less: the service is what I am there for and it has always been excellent. I usually perform most of the service and repairs our cars require myself; nonetheless it seemed each one made an annual trip either for a consultation, parts, or when I just didn't have the time or tools. Each time they only did the work expected and required, correctly, the first time. They didn't balk when I said I just wanted parts to do the work myself. They didn't find “other things wrong you need to fix now”. In short, they provided an ideal service experience even without an HDTV and coffee bar.

We wanted to buy from them. Given a promotional rate “one weekend only”rate from our bank, we looked. Unfortunately, they only had a stripped-down Freestyle SE in white. No thanks. But we might be back...

Now there's another Ford-only dealer 15 miles away. This one recently abandoned their own 70's shed for a brand-new state-of-the-art facility that opened in 2005. We hit Autotrader and saw they had 6 Freestyles to choose from – including a loaded Gray '05 Limited that was only $1300 more than the stripper SE at our local FLM. So we went to inspect the lot after they closed.

The Limited we came to see was nowhere to be found, but there were a couple more that looked promising. And while they were all a couple grand more, we figured we could bargain down to the level of the gray one we saw online.

So the next day we drive to deal. Salesman is very polite and pleasant – nicest one we've ever met, honestly. Car is nice, not our “dream car” but let's deal from there and see where we get. So we explain to the salesman that, hey, you'd listed a Gray one online and that's what we'd actually come to see, but it's not here. He looks at his stock list and says “yes, I remember that one, sorry but it was sold yesterday”. Alright. Well, the blue one we just drove is basically the same (and it truly was – similar options, miles, trim, everything), so how about we go where the gray one sold for?

And without missing a beat he flatly says “No, sorry.” No hemming, no hawing, no consternation, no “let me see the manager.” Just "Sorry, but... no way". Proceeds to tell us all about colors and options and how long they have to be on the lot and he could take maybe $300 off but that's it.

So we shake hands and leave. He was polite and I respected his position - he doesn't have to sell to us if he's confident he'll get the money from someone else - but frankly I was shocked they didn't even consider our offer which was well more than fair. We knew they'd listed them cheaper. He just told us the SOLD one cheaper. But I guess they have to pay for the HDTV and kiddie playroom and 60 gallon fishtank and all that other crap in the showroom somehow. No matter. I'm not in a big hurry....

... But the next morning there's a message from the same salesman, promptly at 9:30 am when they opened: “Hi. I didn't realize it but we actually had another Freestyle, it's similar to what you drove but it's only $XX,YYZ... a great deal... let me know!”

Hmmm. “XX,YYZ” was the EXACT price that the gray one had been, and where we tried to deal to. I'm suspicious. I have a printout of the autotrader ad from the other night, so I drive back to the dealer after they close... and sure enough, the Gray one he “Sold” is magically on the lot with the others, staring me right in the face, VIN for VIN.

My wife and Father-in-Law are more forgiving: “Maybe he made a mistake? Maybe another salesman used it, or had it overnight, or a deal fell through?”. :redcard: Bullshit, I say: “He said he knew the one we meant. Said it was sold. His paperwork and stock sheets that he was looking at told him so. And in his message, he passed it off like a “new” one he didn't know about. Otherwise he could have just said it was loaned or fell through or whatever. And he called us just as soon as he reported in for work... it didn't have time to 'just show up'. "

Oh, and did I mention this particular salesman was the dealer owner's son? Yeah, if anyone should have known better about what was there, it would have been him. :finger: So politeness be damned, fancy building be damned: I'm not going for bait and switch. I don't appreciate being lied to. There's no excuse for that kind of BS in this day and age, I don't care HOW cheap they sold a Limited for.

So Mr. Pat Kain just got Jack Kain Ford of Versailles/Lexington, KY crossed off my list for good. :ohsnap:

Deadline for the credit union special having passed, let's go back to our local FLM dealer....

CONTINUED on Topic Page 2... (?)

Edited by goingincirclez

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buyed a used car won't really give FoMoCo any 'bones', just the dealer owners. But after reading poast again, word of mouth of a good Ford helps, yes. Just that dealers need a kick in the rear.

Dealers have too much power in states, they lobby for laws by giving free cars or leases to legislators.

And buying used from a Private Party may sve $$, but they can cancel the deal and buyers can't do a thing.

Edited by 630land

I buy used and iti s a drag . but you can't beat the price ... I would have probably went back and made a scene and asked to get the credit union rate I was going to use the day before ... and if they had bucked .. I do not care .. I would definitely not go back for service ..

I do not care where I buy a car - as long as I am confident in the car and the deal .. but I handpick my servicing dealers.

Igor

I am sure there are jerky dealers of any other brand, not just Blue Oval. The biggest problem is the dealer 'closers' who squeeze as much $$$ out of buyers as possible.

and that wouldn't happen in ANY other type of BUSINESS would it?...........

You can get upsold on product but it's not like any other consumer commodity requires such intense haggling.

because the car business is the ONLY business in which haggling really takes place.............name ONE business where ones buying price is predicated on knowing actual cost........just one, I love this question.......

because the car business is the ONLY business in which haggling really takes place.............name ONE business where ones buying price is predicated on knowing actual cost........just one, I love this question.......

Notice that cars I said cars are a commodity. Name one other commodity business where you haggle on price.

Notice that cars I said cars are a commodity. Name one other commodity business where you haggle on price.

its also the ONLY commodity which has published "actual" costs ...would be great buying Groceries the same way, housing...hell...GAS!.......

Edited by Deanh

I'm sure the majority of Americans do not want to negotiate gas prices each time they go to fill up.

Exactly...but when it comes to a car its hours sometimes days of GAME ON! Funny...the biz has its own eco system....I doubt any other business could survive under the same pre-text...imagine the car insurance business....I know people that spend more per month on their insurace than they do on their car payment! and what have they got to show for it?

Buyed a used car won't really give FoMoCo any 'bones', just the dealer owners. But after reading poast again, word of mouth of a good Ford helps, yes. Just that dealers need a kick in the rear.

Plus, I see it like this: for the Ford Motor Company to sell new vehicles they build, Ford Dealers need to buy them. For the Dealers to buy them, they need to have money. So if their profit on a used sale enables them place an order for another new Fusion or Focus or whatever, then everybody wins. Obviously, if I bought a used car at a Chevy dealer, Ford would not see this indirect benefit. So that's where I was coming from.

And honestly, the haggling process doesn't bother me. I do my research. I know what I can afford, what is comparable in this market, and what a fair price should be. I won't begrudge a dealer's right to make a fair profit - we all have bills to pay.

He didn't have to sell his car at my price - that is 100% within his rights. I'm fine with that. But I will NOT stand for games and being lied to. And this was not some young punk hotshot newbie salesman either - he was an older gentleman and a veteran. Jack Kain was even NADA president for a time. They really should have known better. And now that dealership will not see one dime from me now, or in the future. And Ford Motor Co. lost the indirect benefits they could have seen, on that account.

Part Two will be up when I get time to write it. It's almost funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

You ever been to Best Buy and bought an expensive item. What about a furniture or appliance store?

Umm no because I watch prices and make Best Buy meet near invoice price orders.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1130986714617

$39.99 and free shipping to my house. Score! Because by definition of commodity pricing, arbitrage removes all price discrepancies. If you are dumb enough to actually negotiate the price of anything that's a commodity that's pretty sad.

Umm no because I watch prices and make Best Buy meet near invoice price orders.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1130986714617

$39.99 and free shipping to my house. Score! Because by definition of commodity pricing, arbitrage removes all price discrepancies. If you are dumb enough to actually negotiate the price of anything that's a commodity that's pretty sad.

People do that all the time. You seem to have a severe superiority complex.

Plus, I see it like this: for the Ford Motor Company to sell new vehicles they build, Ford Dealers need to buy them. For the Dealers to buy them, they need to have money. So if their profit on a used sale enables them place an order for another new Fusion or Focus or whatever, then everybody wins. Obviously, if I bought a used car at a Chevy dealer, Ford would not see this indirect benefit. So that's where I was coming from.

And honestly, the haggling process doesn't bother me. I do my research. I know what I can afford, what is comparable in this market, and what a fair price should be. I won't begrudge a dealer's right to make a fair profit - we all have bills to pay.

He didn't have to sell his car at my price - that is 100% within his rights. I'm fine with that. But I will NOT stand for games and being lied to. And this was not some young punk hotshot newbie salesman either - he was an older gentleman and a veteran. Jack Kain was even NADA president for a time. They really should have known better. And now that dealership will not see one dime from me now, or in the future. And Ford Motor Co. lost the indirect benefits they could have seen, on that account.

Part Two will be up when I get time to write it. It's almost funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

you sound like a reasonable type buyer...refreshing. Used cars are an interesting part of the dealership experience, many a time I have two IDENTICAL cars which for some unbeknownst reason can be $1500... sometimes more apart in price....ALWAYS raises my researching eyebrows. Then I come to find out one car required additional work ( sometimes small sometimes large ) to become "front line ready"...so there really is no rule of thumb as such, and awfully difficult to shop one used car againgst another as no two seem to be exactly the same, one may be certified ( $425 charge right there ) one may not, crap shoot really. As for the guy saying the vehicle was sold, who knows, perhaps he saw it frontline one day, perhaps it was back in service for a rexcall or something the next, who knows, or PERHAPS...it was a 60 day unit being blown out at an add ( and thus Zero profit ) price...I say this because I have been caught w my pants down myself...assuming a car is sold can sometimes have someone scraping egg off ones face.....and PS...Ford really doesn't give a rats about used...they have already sold that car....

The housing market, which also happens to be your first largest purchase, your vehicles being the second.

I can understand why people don't haggle over the cost of a new $200 DVD player or even an $800 home computer. It's not worth it. But when you start talking 20, 30, 40 grand for a car and you know full well the dealership is trying to milk you for all they can get, it's no wonder people get pissed off.

The housing market, which also happens to be your first largest purchase, your vehicles being the second.

I can understand why people don't haggle over the cost of a new $200 DVD player or even an $800 home computer. It's not worth it. But when you start talking 20, 30, 40 grand for a car and you know full well the dealership is trying to milk you for all they can get, it's no wonder people get pissed off.

Houses are not a commodity, can you move a house from one state to another easily and cheaply?

PART II

WEDNESDAY SEPT 19

Following our attempted deal with Jack Kain Ford, we went over to our local FLM dealer – the one whose service department has always been so wonderful. It's almost closing time so wanting to cut to the chase, I ask the first person on the sales floor who acknowledges me, “Can I speak to the Used Car manager?” Salesman says he's not it, but he'll be glad to help me, and invites me to his office. His name is Bob. I get my wife and we go talk.

Now this guy, Bob, is your basic Type-A Good-ol-boy, knows-everyone-and-everything type o' guy. Potentially grating, almost annoying, but nice enough to keep you at ease. And as I look around his tiny office, I see he's been with this dealership for over 25 years – since the day they opened – and has several Best Salesperson awards and all that, as recently as 2004. So he must know his stuff. Cool.

And to his credit, he doesn't try to sell us their plain-jane SE, and simply listens: My wife and I are looking for something nicer. The Limiteds had memory seats, which would be great if it had the adjustable pedals too. It HAS to have a sunroof. HAS to have Rear AC. No white, no red. Your competitor down the road listed one for $XX,YYZ. So, what can you find?

Bob asks us a few questions. “Does that include TTL? (well, that would be great of course, duh). Does it have to be this weekend? (preferably, yes). You do know a Limited at that price could be tough?" (Yes, but it obviously has been done... and a loaded SEL can still work, we gave you our key features).

He then asks: “Can you wait 'till next Tuesday? There's a big Ford lease auction and we can probably find something. It may not be exact, but we'll try...” Sounds reasonable.

So we leave, having told him just enough about what we would like, but not enough to tip our hand and find our “dream car” at max price. We can wait if we need to... let's see what they find.

MONDAY SEPT 24 - 6PM

Bob calls me. “Hey, we found you a BEAUTIFUL car! It's a 2005 Limited, it's got 16K miles, it's got leather & sunroof. It's Blue. You're looking at around $XX,XXX which might be a little higher than you wanted, but is probably worth it. We'll be taking it in on a trade.”

Well, his price is very close to Jack Kain's gray one, with half the miles. And unknown to him, Blue is our favorite color. Maybe it will work. But the price, though close , is still toward the high end of comfort. Don't want to tip too much. Maybe it has other features?

“Well, the price might be pushing it, but find out everything it has, and let me know? “

“You got it bud. Let me call the guy working the trade-in and I'll get RIGHT BACK TO YOU”.

I never hear back.

TUESDAY SEPT 25 (Auction day)

I hear nothing.

WEDNESDAY SEPT 26

Nothing. Bob must not be serious about earning my business.

In the meantime, in looking around we have decided that perhaps a laoded SEL offers the best deal... we really only like the memory seats in the limited... and our preferred combo of pedals/rear AC/ sunroof seems surprisingly rare. No sense trying to get blood from a stone. We could save a few grand and go to an SEL. Maybe I should tell Bob about that, it might make things easier. I would, if he'd call me like he promised.

THURSDAY SEPT 27 – AM

Bob calls me - Finally. “You still interested in that car?” Well, yeah, but you never called me back with the details. “Well my guy is at the auction right now where it is, let me have him get it for me and I'll let you know...” (WTF? I thought it was a trade-in? And wasn't the auction TWO DAYS AGO?)

I don't say that. But I DO try to tell him that, hey, we revised our options a bit so maybe you'll have an easier time finding an SEL? But I never get to tell him this, because he's so in love with this phantom blue car that he's telling me all its details again (16K, blue, moonroof, etc) but not the ones I ask for... and his Good-ol'-boy personality has him shouting “You got it bud!” and hanging up as soon as I first remind him I want more details on it....

THURSDAY AFTERNOON:

“OK we got it, it we can have it tomorrow for you to come look at.” I tell him we need to go out of town for a bit over the weekend and may not get to see it, unless we stop in that evening before heading out. Did he get the other info?

“No, he didn't get that for me. Let me get it for ya" *click*

Sigh. That's the THIRD TIME I've had to ask. :finger:

THURSDAY PM: Nothing. :banghead:

FRIDAY SEPT 28 – AM:

Bob calls: “Yeah. You said you'd be out of town anyway? Well the dealer we're getting it from can't have it here today so I guess we'll have it on Monday. Well, it should be here Saturday if you come by just to see it when you get back.” (OK, really - W.T.F.??! NOW it's a DEALER trade?) I am perturbed, because my wife and I changed our arrangements to have time to see the car he told us he would get yesterday. I ask him for the details “Uh, it's got the pedals, and stuff. It's a nice car.”

Mmm-hmm, sure it is. But I don't care now because he is clearly not listening to anything I have told him, and fighting to get a word in edgewise is like, oh what's the use. He's worse than a sports agent, acts like a rock star. And THIS was their best salesperson? His credibility from all those awards is losing stock with me. And I am losing patience.

In the meantime, there is just the kind of loaded SEL we're thinking of, in Louisville... but we won't have time to go there. So I guess we can look at his car on the lot on Sunday, see if it's really all he keeps promising.

SATURDAY SEPT 29:

We finish our events early. I decide to call Bob and see if the car is there. “No, I told you it would be Monday”. I let my exasperation sound over the phone. “Well you were going to be out of town, I told you it MIGHT be here but I didn't promise it”.

Whatever. You're a liar, don't you dare try to argue with me! :censored:

At this point, the only thing to salvage this sale is if that car is EVERYTHING we had hoped for, at our price. And since we can't shop or deal on Sunday... they only get that last chance by default.

MONDAY OCT 1:

Message left at my desk while I was out: “It's Bob. I've got bad news... they guy we were getting the car from has been transferred and needs to keep it....”

I don't even listen to the rest. But I do note this message marks the FOURTH new source for this Phantom Phreestyle:

1. Trade-in

2. Auction

3. Dealer swap

4. personal sale

In the meantime, Bob Davis – salesman of the year – has wasted over a week of my time, and really soured me on Crossroads Ford Lincoln Mercury of Frankfort, KY. :nonono: (at least their service dept is competent).

I call my wife and tell her the news, and to plan to leave work early so we can go to Louisville....

TO BE CONCLUDED....

Edited by goingincirclez

they only get pissed off because deep down we want everything for free or as cheap as possible....people would be pissed off at just about every purchase if they new the profit margin being made on every product they purchased....just happens that the car business is the ONLY business where markup is accesible by the push of a button, or purchase of a book.......for instance, there is more profit FULL STOP on those 4500 bling wheels on that Focus than there was on the initial $17000 car.......but 30 seconds on a computer and I can figure out what invoice, holdback etc is.........

PART II

WEDNESDAY SEPT 21

Following the first visit to Jack Kain, we went over to our local FLM dealer – the one whose service dept. has always been so wonderful. It's almost closing time so wanting to cut to the chase, I ask the first person on the sales floor who acknowledges me, “Can I speak to the Used Car manager”? Salesman says he's not it, but he'll be glad to help me, and invites me to his office. His name is Bob. I get my wife and we go talk.

Now this guy, Bob, is your basic Type-A Good-ol-boy, knows everyone and everything type of guy. Potentially grating, almost annoying, but nice enough to keep you at ease. And as I look around his tiny office, I see he's been with this dealership for over 25 years – since the day they opened – and has several Best Salesperson awards and all that, as recently as 2004. So he must know his stuff. Cool.

To his credit, he doesn't try to sell us their plain-jane SE, and simply listens: My wife and I are looking for something nicer. The Limiteds had memory seats, which would be great if it had the adjustable pedals too. HAS to have a sunroof. HAS to have Rear AC. No white, no red. Your competitor down the road listed one for $XX,YYZ. What can you find?

Bob asks us a few questions. “Does that include TTL? (well, that would be great of course, duh). Does it have to be this weekend? (preferably, yes). You do know a Limited at that price could be tough? (Yes, but it obviously has been done... and a loaded SEL can still work, we gave you our key features).”

He then asks: “Can you wait 'till next Wednesday? There's a big Ford lease auction and we can probably find something. It may not be exact, but we'll try...”. Sure!

So we leave, having told him just enough about what we would like, but not enough to tip our hand and find our “dream car” at max price. We can wait if we need to... let's see what they find.

MONDAY SEPT 24 - 6PM

Bob calls me. “Hey, we found you a BEAUTIFUL car! It's a 2005 Limited, it's got 16K miles, it's got leather & sunroof. It's Blue. You're looking at around $XX,XXX which might be a little higher than you wanted, but is probably worth it. We'll be taking it in on a trade.”

Well, his price is very close to Jack Kain's gray one, with half the miles. And unknown to him, Blue is our favorite color. Maybe it will work. But the price, though close , is still toward the high end of comfort. Don't want to tip too much. Maybe it has other features?

“Well, the price might be pushing it, but find out everything it has, and let me know? “

“You got it bud. Let me call the guy working the trade-in and I'll get RIGHT BACK TO YOU”.

I never hear back.

TUESDAY SEPT 25

I hear nothing.

WEDNESDAY SEPT 26

Nothing. Bob must not be serious about earning my business.

In the meantime, in looking around we have decided that perhaps a laoded SEL offers the best deal... we really only like the memory seats in the limited... and our preferred combo of pedals/rear AC/ sunroof seems surprisingly rare. No sense trying to get blood from a stone. We could save a few grand and go to an SEL. Maybe I should tell Bob about that, it might make things easier.

THURSDAY SEPT 27 – AM

Bob calls me - Finally. “You still interested in that car?” Well, yeah, but you never called me back with the details. “Well my guy is at the auction right now where it is, let me have him get it for me and I'll let you know...”. (WTF? I thought it was a trade-in? And wasn't the auction YESTERDAY? )

I don't say that. But I DO try to tell him that, hey, we revised our options a bit so maybe you'll have an easier time finding an SEL? But I never get to tell him this, because he's so in love with this phantom blue car that he's telling me all its details again (16K, blue, moonroof, etc) but not the ones I ask for... and his Good-ol-boy personality has him saying “you got it bud!” and hanging up when I first remind him I want more details on it....

THURSDAY AFTERNOON:

“OK we got it, it we can have it tomorrow for you to come look at”. I tell him we have to go out of town over the weekend and may not get to see it, unless we stop in that evening before heading out. And did he get the other info?

“No, he didn't get that for me. Let me get it for ya *click*.”

Sigh. That's the THIRD TIME I've had to ask. :finger:

THURSDAY PM: Nothing. :banghead:

FRIDAY SEPT 28 – AM:

He calls. “Yeah. You said you'd be out of town anyway? Well the dealer we're getting it from can't have it here today so I guess we'll have it on Monday. Well, it should be here Saturday if you come by just to see it when you get back”. (WTF??! NOW it's a DEALER trade?) I am perturbed, because we changed our arrangements to have time to see the car he told us he would get yesterday. I ask him for the details “Uh, it's got the pedals, and stuff. It's a nice car”.

But I don't care now because he is clearly not listening to anything I have told him, and fighting to get a word in is like, oh what's the use. He's worse than a sports agent, acts like a rock star. And this was their best salesperson? His credibility from all those awards is losing stock with me. And I am losing patience.

In the meantime, there is just the kind of loaded SEL we're thinking of, in Louisville... but we won't have time to go there. And I guess we can look at his car on the lot on Sunday, see if it's really all he keeps promising.

SATURDAY SEPT 29:

We finish our events early. I decide to call Bob and see if the car is there. “No, I told you it would be Monday”. I let my exasperation sound over the phone. “Well you were going to be out of town, I told you it MIGHT be here but I didn't promise it”.

Whatever. You're a liar, don't you dare try to argue with me. :censored:

At this point, the only thing to salvage this sale is if that car is EVERYTHING we had hoped for, at our price. And since we can't shop or deal on Sunday... they only get that last chance by default.

MONDAY OCT 1:

Message left at my desk while I was out: “It's Bob. I've got bad news... they guy we were getting the car from has been transferred and needs to keep it....”

I don't even listen to the rest. But I do note this message marks the FOURTH new source for this Phantom Phreestyle:

1. Trade-in

2. Auction

3. Dealer swap

4. personal sale

In the meantime, Bob Davis – salesman of the year – has wasted over a week of my time, and really soured me on Crossroads Ford Lincoln Mercury of Frankfort, KY. :nonono: (at least their service dept is competent).

I call my wife and tell her the news, and to plan to leave work early so we can go to Louisville....

TO BE CONCLUDED....

guys an idiot...sounds like they never had a deal with the owner of the Blue car to begin with and were working on your deal based on THAT one.....trade ins became an auction car actually happens....if a vehicle turn in is a lease then we have the oppurtunity to purchase the vehicle at the residual, but 99.9% of the time that is a LOT higher than actual street value ( ie what we can pick them up for in the auctions...ps, that is the main reason for Union, BOA, GeCal, World Omni etc no longer being in the lease busines...another story ) thus the "trade" went to auction and up for bids from Dealers. As for the dealer swap....thats rubbish unless one dealer actually purchased the vehicle, and no-one I've heard of TRADES used vehicles, thirdly, and this is what I think happened......is the guy that trade the car could not get bought/ financed had to hand his "new" vehcle back and take his "trade" back..........