Parry-Jones retiring from Ford

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=27049

Effective 12/31

Parry-Jones' responsibility will be taken over by Derrick Kuzak, group vice president, Global Product Development, and his subordinate Gerhard Schmidt, 61, vice president, Research & Advanced Engineering, will assume the role of chief technical officer in addition to his present responsibilities.

Igor

Edited by igor

Well, either Kuzak and Schmidt are about to get a lot busier, or Parry-Jones was given a window seat in the most recent re-org.

Seems odd that you'd have the CTO as a direct report to some other VP, instead of the CEO. But then, I don't know what the CTO's responsibilities at Ford would be either.

You won't find many in the auto industry that have as firm a grasp on total vehicle technology as Richard Parry-Jones. His knowledge goes both wide and deep, and he is known for pressing engineers to do their best by knowing more than they do and asking questions that probed the depth of their knowledge. He was a good mentor and supporter of those who demonstrated technical prowess.

He is an expert at pushing cars to just the right balance, and ensuring that cars have a "personality". And he is a champion of utilizing common platforms. He certainly had an influence in EUCD (Richard also was the platform exec on the original CDW27 Mondeo).

Nevertheless, his job was essentially redundant as Kuzak had a similar title. And Ford was paying him as Exec VP, so his retirement makes sense.

You won't find many in the auto industry that have as firm a grasp on total vehicle technology as Richard Parry-Jones. His knowledge goes both wide and deep, and he is known for pressing engineers to do their best by knowing more than they do and asking questions that probed the depth of their knowledge. He was a good mentor and supporter of those who demonstrated technical prowess.

He is an expert at pushing cars to just the right balance, and ensuring that cars have a "personality". And he is a champion of utilizing common platforms. He certainly had an influence in EUCD (Richard also was the platform exec on the original CDW27 Mondeo).

Nevertheless, his job was essentially redundant as Kuzak had a similar title. And Ford was paying him as Exec VP, so his retirement makes sense.

His nickname given by Ford engineers is "Mr. Good Enough." I don't think he will be missed by many. As far as I'm concerned, he is part of the old Ford guard that got Ford into this mess. His other nickname is...Mr. It works, doesn't it? Yeah, but it's good enough. I say good-bye and go muck up some other company. Maybe he can take over Press's old job at Toyota. Farley for Mr. Good Enough sounds like fair trade to me. :happy feet:

His nickname given by Ford engineers is "Mr. Good Enough." I don't think he will be missed by many. As far as I'm concerned, he is part of the old Ford guard that got Ford into this mess. His other nickname is...Mr. It works, doesn't it? Yeah, but it's good enough. I say good-bye and go muck up some other company. Maybe he can take over Press's old job at Toyota. Farley for Mr. Good Enough sounds like fair trade to me. :happy feet:

You must be thinking of a different person.

Richard is not perfect, but I would in no way characterize him in this manner.

In fact, I could argue that he sometimes pushed things too far in the "it has to be changed to make it right" direction -- particularly in vehicle dynamics. An example was an all new front suspension for the Lincoln Aviator because he was unhappy with the compliance and feel of the base Explorer suspension. So a lot of money was spent for something the customers failed to appreciate.

Moot point anyway, as he's moving on.

You must be thinking of a different person.

Richard is not perfect, but I would in no way characterize him in this manner.

In fact, I could argue that he sometimes pushed things too far in the "it has to be changed to make it right" direction -- particularly in vehicle dynamics. An example was an all new front suspension for the Lincoln Aviator because he was unhappy with the compliance and feel of the base Explorer suspension. So a lot of money was spent for something the customers failed to appreciate.

Moot point anyway, as he's moving on.

I would go along with this.

Also considering his right hand man, Ford Tech Fellow Dr Tim Davis, was one of the "evangalists" for the popularisation of Statistical Engineering in product development at Ford rather counters this "Mr Good-Enough" accusation.

Far more likely he stood on some toes along the way to cause such resentment.

I wonder what his "personal" reasons for leaving really are...

He may have just had enough and wanted to return to Blighty to race his rally car! Apparently he's a bit a demon behind the wheel.

The other option is that he may take some role within the sold JLR, apparently he always maintained an office there despite his tenure in the US.

From May 1994 to December 1997, Parry-Jones was vice president of the Product Development Group in Europe. Vehicles developed under his direction there include the Ford Focus, Ka, Fiesta, Puma, Mondeo, Cougar and Galaxy.

Impressive I'd say, some very nice vehicles with hellish good dynamics. Its a shame to see him go.

I think this statement from Mr Parry-Jones sums up his attitude, when asked about the Euro-Focus not be offered in N.A.

If you look at consumer behavior in this sector [in the U.S.], most people are buying on price. We simply don't get rewarded for showing engineering excellence, whereas in Europe, we have to invest more simply to keep up."

I'd say maybe he just got tired of not being able to do his best, because it was not necesssary.

Edited by MKII

For what it's worth, Parry-Jones is probably retiring in part due to health reasons. He was often sick and had a few heart attacks. I remember when he got the job, he was in his mid 40s and looked like he was in his mid 60s. A bit overweight and a driving attitude doesn't lend itself to a healthy disposition.

I have also heard that Parry-Jones pushed perhaps a bit too hard on the NA SUVs, resulting in a firmer Euro-style ride/handling mix than customers wanted/expected.

Of course that's just what I've heard through the grape-vine.

Not only were the Explorer and Expedition/Navigator too firmly tuned for the North American market, but RPJ drove a disastrous amount of cost into these vehicles trying to make five and six-thousand pound trucks defy the laws of physics.

This will piss the hourly paid off!

I heard a rumour that when Ford was collaborating with VW on the Galaxy/Sharan minivan that then boss Ferdinand Piech was so impressed by his technical leadership they offered him a job. The job offer was withdrawn fairly abruptly though when they found out RPJ was on more money than Piech!

...Richard (Perry Jones) is not perfect, but I would in no way characterize him in this manner. ..

I recently received this from a fellow Class of 2007 retiree

When I was in the planning group, Parry- Jones would regularly call in engineers into his office for “technical” meetings the night before the Nassar reviews. He had a marvelous memory, because the next day I would hear an exact replication of the input he gleaned from the young folks the night before, portrayed as if it were his own thought process. It always amazed me that you would put a non- engineering degreed individual in charge of your technical expertise. It looks as if Mullaly may be able to separate high performing social skills from high performing business skills

I have not spoken to one person in NA who though that RPJ actually had any positive affect on the company.

...In fact, I could argue that he sometimes pushed things too far in the "it has to be changed to make it right" direction -- particularly in vehicle dynamics. An example was an all new front suspension for the Lincoln Aviator because he was unhappy with the compliance and feel of the base Explorer suspension.

So a lot of money was spent for something the customers failed to appreciate...

Spend money on things that the customer does not appreciate is how Ford got in the situation they are currently in !

Well, either Kuzak and Schmidt are about to get a lot busier, or Parry-Jones was given a window seat in the most recent re-org.

Maybe he found his own "window seat"

Since 2001, Parry-Jones has been a visiting professor within the Department of Aeronautical and Automotive Engineering at Loughborough University.

post-19835-1127262851_thumb.jpg

he probably spent last 10 months helping Derrick set up the GPD...

GPD is a joke, at least in Powertrain Engineering. (PTE is not PTO)

I'll bet that there is not one 2009, 2010 or 2011 program "on time". They are all late. A lot of it is do to the rush to bring in new suppliers (like Siemens, who then promptly sells out to Continental). A lot has to do with "mandated" inventions (DI, TF, diesel controls, PowerShift, etc) with 30% less engineers.

BTW, DI, TF, PowerShift, diesel are all good ideas and Ford should be doing them. I just don't know how engineering management (Kuzak) can expect engineering to do a good job in such a short time with less people. A lot of my friends that are still "on the job" are getting burnt out from working 50-60 hour weeks ! Local management is not "enabling" the engineers. Instead they are making (what appears to be) arbitrary decisions ("Let's bring on a new supplier, NOW !") that just add more variables to the equation.

I recently received this from a fellow Class of 2007 retiree:

When I was in the planning group, Parry- Jones would regularly call in engineers into his office for “technical” meetings the night before the Nassar reviews. He had a marvelous memory, because the next day I would hear an exact replication of the input he gleaned from the young folks the night before, portrayed as if it were his own thought process. It always amazed me that you would put a non- engineering degreed individual in charge of your technical expertise. It looks as if Mullaly may be able to separate high performing social skills from high performing business skills

I have not spoken to one person in NA who though that RPJ actually had any positive affect on the company.

Bloody hell I didn't know sentiment was that bad against RPJ in FNA! What did he do to create this?

I have to admit I haven't met the guy, but I know vehicle calibration guys that have and they've been impressed with him (at least from a tech perspective) but then that might be skewed because the local management is so bad! I would certainly believe that he put unnecessary cost into things and I've never met a manager that isn't prone to a bit of plagiarism!

However, I will take issue with the highlighted comment from your former colleague though (although I agree with the sentiment), he got a first in Mech Eng from Salford University. A first is the highest degree grade you can get here, and that grade requires both no social life AND very high intelligence (esp. before all the grade inflation over the last 15 years)

As said it's all irrelevant anyway, and Kuzak seems to be really clued-up and Schmidt has a PhD in Stratified Charge Combustion which speaks for itself.

Edited by jon_the_limey