"Extreme Commuter" drives nearly 4 hours a day...

Ovaltine

From today's Freep.....

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article.../710210609/1008

Lots of coffee, music fuel grueling commutes

74,000 Michiganders part of trend

http://cmsimg.freep.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bil...mp;Profile=1008

October 21, 2007

BY ZLATI MEYER

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Every weekday morning before 5:15, Neil Bunting pulls his gold 2006 Kia Spectra out of his driveway in Bay City and heads to work.

Awake since 4 a.m., the 55-year-old project manager is armed with coffee, blues CDs and, sometimes, an audiobook.

For the next 1 1/2 to 2 hours -- and again in the evening when he retraces his route.

<snip>

All his daily driving doesn't dissuade him from road trips on his off days. He drives to Chicago or to see his daughter in North Carolina. And like Grabarczyk, he opted for a car with 37 miles per gallon that would be kinder to him at the pump. "I get gas every day, so I pay whatever the price," he said. "When you're using that much, there's no skipping days for the low days."

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

Only a fucking idiot would commute 4 hours a day. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for Kia and its owners.

I tend to agree with you on your opinion about 4 hour commutes, but it looks like the car must handling the wear and tear pretty well.

One thing's for sure, Kia won't have to worry too much about the 5 year bumper-to-bumper and 10 year powertrain warranty on this car. He'll blow past the 100k mark in less than 2 years!

And now that I'm thinking about it, he may be an f'n idiot, but at least he's working for a living and not trying to milk the system via unemployment, welfare, etc.

Maybe he's got some personal family reasons for needing to stay in Bay City, coupled with a vocation that isn't probably needed in the economic wonderland of Bay City.

My take on this is that he KNEW he was going to destroy a car in a very short amount of time, so why not pick the best warrantied, comfortable, and affordable car he could find... a Spectra? In some ways, the "idiot" commuter made what appears to be a smart decision I'd say.

And if he's an idiot, then he's got a lot of company according to the article:

Bunting is one of an estimated 3.1 million Americans -- including about 74,000 Michiganders -- whom researchers call extreme commuters, people who travel more than 90 minutes to work each way, according to the most recent U.S. Census data.

An additional 164,000 people in the state travel 60-89 minutes each way, with Oakland, Macomb and Livingston counties reporting an increase over the 2000 figures.

Judge not, lest thou be judged.

-Ovaltine

1ZVHT82H365130150.pdf

My take on this is that he KNEW he was going to destroy a car in a very short amount of time, so why not pick the best warrantied, comfortable, and affordable car he could find... a Spectra? In some ways, the "idiot" commuter made what appears to be a smart decision I'd say.

My take is he bought the cheapest thing he could because he knew he was going to throw it away when he was done.

My take is he bought the cheapest thing he could because he knew he was going to throw it away when he was done.

:hysterical:

Sounds like my oldest brother. He bought a Hyundai Elantra when he started grad school. He wanted something cheap as crap to drive around while he was broke studying. I'm sure that car will be the first thing to go when he gets his PhD in a few months.

I don't know if you guys know what a project manager is but I'm sure the sight he is working at is a temporary gig. Project managers make $80,000 to start with the proper certification, and as much $300,000 depending on their employer but there is allot of traveling involved. After the project he is working on is completed he will go on to another sight. I can't believe that he drives a KIA all of the project managers that work for Petros Homes (a housing developer) drive Z-71 Chevy Tahoe's and Suburbans!! Sh-t I wish I could afford to live like that!

He's not getting 37 MPG.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/21974.shtml

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0d0476/0

Even the EPA only gave it 34 MPG. A smart buyer would have read the sticker.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2006/kia/sp.../specifications

Not to defend that person's choice of buying a Korean-made vehicle, but:

The EPA says I am supposed to get around 24mpg on my Fusion, but I'm getting 30 mpg.

Real world conditions can easily differ from what the government says is "right" for you.

Not to defend that person's choice of buying a Korean-made vehicle, but:

The EPA says I am supposed to get around 24mpg on my Fusion, but I'm getting 30 mpg.

Real world conditions can easily differ from what the government says is "right" for you.

I've hit 35 mpg numerous times with all highway driving AND when I'm *not* hammering at 80 mph 'cause I've got to be somewhere in a hurry. Not using the A/C also helps hit that number more consistently.

The 37 mpg stated in the article probably *is* the reporter taking a little literary license, but I wouldn't have been surprised in the slightest if it had stated the driver was getting 35 mpg.

I will say this though, the "city" or mixed driving numbers for my Spectra are okay (24-26 mpg), but I'm really impressed with my co-worker's I4 stick shift Fusion's numbers. If his numbers are correct, his larger car's mpg does beat mine around town.

From the "tactile" side of things though, I'd still take my car. I've ridden in my boss's I4 Fusion with an automatic, and it's pretty noisy considering the "action" or acceleration you get in return.

The Spectra has Hyundai's Beta 2.0 with variable valve timing in it, and it really does have the good low end grunt that the magazine's often mention. If I nail it after turning onto an open stretch of road, the speedometer climbs pretty quickly and steadily until I have to leave off the pedal in fear getting a ticket (usually around 70 mph). On the highway it will cruise at 80-85 mph all day like most new cars these days will.

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

I've hit 35 mpg numerous times with all highway driving AND when I'm *not* hammering at 80 mph 'cause I've got to be somewhere in a hurry. Not using the A/C also helps hit that number more consistently.

The 37 mpg stated in the article probably *is* the reporter taking a little literary license, but I wouldn't have been surprised in the slightest if it had stated the driver was getting 35 mpg.

I will say this though, the "city" or mixed driving numbers for my Spectra are okay (24-26 mpg), but I'm really impressed with my co-worker's I4 stick shift Fusion's numbers. If his numbers are correct, his larger car's mpg does beat mine around town.

From the "tactile" side of things though, I'd still take my car. I've ridden in my boss's I4 Fusion with an automatic, and it's pretty noisy considering the "action" or acceleration you get in return.

The Spectra has Hyundai's Beta 2.0 with variable valve timing in it, and it really does have the good low end grunt that the magazine's often mention. If I nail it after turning onto an open stretch of road, the speedometer climbs pretty quickly and steadily until I have to leave off the pedal in fear getting a ticket (usually around 70 mph). On the highway it will cruise at 80-85 mph all day like most new cars these days will.

-Ovaltine

I can confirm that the manual Fusion gets great mileage. It beats my Focus slightly. My parents' Fusion gave me 28 going around town while my Focus normally gets me 25-26 in the burbs (22-23 in cities). However, my Focus beats it on the highway: 32 to 31. The I-4 Fusion gets really good mileage.

My commute is about an hour each way, I drive an I4 /manual Fusion. Just passed 16K (had it for 6 months) and I am averaging just shy of 32MPG. This is commuting on secondary roads mostly with the last 5 miles or so being in the city.

I was getting about 29 to 30 up until about 12K miles or so, then it has steadily improved little by little. I guess it takes a while to break in.

For comparison my 05 Focus ZX5 was averaging slightly better than 32 on the same commute.

So I would have to agree that the epa numbers aren't always representative of what is reality.

I've never even really cared about fuel economy. Nor should anybody else really. Sure, look at the EPA ratings and go off that, but seriously -- if you buy a car, you're going to keep it for awhile, regardless of a couple of miles per gallon here and there. I've gauged the fuel economy on my Mazda6 once...since then I haven't paid any bit of attention to it. I like the car. I fill the tank when it's almost empty. What difference does it make if it's getting 24 mpg or 26 mpg? To me, absolutely nothing. I'm going to fill the fuel tank when it's close to empty regardless. I've never once bothered to calculate the exact fuel economy on my Cobra in the 10+ years I've owned it. I can estimate that it "sucks", and that's about all that matters.

I-275 at 5:00pm on a weekday.

Any freeway around Metro Detroit... Are you kidding?

Some people like the commute and when I worked at Sterling. I had a 1 hour commute as well for a few years. I enjoyed it because it was relaxing... Who in the hell would spend an 1 hour sitting in traffic and stop and go traffic to go 10 miles when you can drive 50 miles mostly non-stop (depending on what time of day and route or routes you take) in the same amount of that one hour time?

Any freeway around Metro Detroit... Are you kidding?

Some people like the commute and when I worked at Sterling. I had a 1 hour commute as well for a few years. I enjoyed it because it was relaxing... Who in the hell would spend an 1 hour sitting in traffic and stop and go traffic to go 10 miles when you can drive 50 miles mostly non-stop (depending on what time of day and route or routes you take) in the same amount of that one hour time?

Just citing 1 example of freeway that is banging gears and slamming brakes. You make a solid point though. When I worked at DCC HQ in Auburn Hills I had the sweetest backroad way to avoid M-59 backups. Nice, smooth two lane road with no traffic and a 50 mph limit. So glad I never got ticketed for going 75mph.

Ummm, how about you just move closer to work. It's not like real estate in the Metro Detroit area is so absurd that he couldn't afford to relocate. What a waste of time for no apparent reason.

Maybe he's waiting until after the UAW contracts to find cheaper real estate. :stirpot: