Crown Victoria replacement

silvermike

At the risk of beating a dead horse, the car is one of the best values on the road. My 2000 (Co. car) with 204m blew the heater core last week. I had a Taurus for two days as a replacement- an 04 with 56m on it-a Vulcan no less. I think we paid around 20 grand for these in 04, and it too was good value. But I digress. My 2000 has the 41g pkg and 3.55 gears. I average over 20 mpg with a combination city/rural/highway at 75 mph. Thing is still tight. I can do 300 miles in a day and I'm comfortable. I had a Ford demo 500 Limited for a week- AWD, all the bells and whistles. Glad to be back in the CV- I can stretch out.

What is wrong with this car? How much would it take to freshen it up? The cop car business pays the overhead at STP. Get some of the "crush zone" off the front and the back-hopefully add a "427" look, a few more tweaks on the interior, and a few more ponies, and maybe advertise in something other then the AARP Journal (not sure they do) and guess what, they might milk it for a few more years!

It doesn't have to be a "geezermobile"!

At the risk of beating a dead horse, the car is one of the best values on the road. My 2000 (Co. car) with 204m blew the heater core last week. I had a Taurus for two days as a replacement- an 04 with 56m on it-a Vulcan no less. I think we paid around 20 grand for these in 04, and it too was good value. But I digress. My 2000 has the 41g pkg and 3.55 gears. I average over 20 mpg with a combination city/rural/highway at 75 mph. Thing is still tight. I can do 300 miles in a day and I'm comfortable. I had a Ford demo 500 Limited for a week- AWD, all the bells and whistles. Glad to be back in the CV- I can stretch out.

What is wrong with this car? How much would it take to freshen it up? The cop car business pays the overhead at STP. Get some of the "crush zone" off the front and the back-hopefully add a "427" look, a few more tweaks on the interior, and a few more ponies, and maybe advertise in something other then the AARP Journal (not sure they do) and guess what, they might milk it for a few more years!

It doesn't have to be a "geezermobile"!

It is very fustrating working at STAP, to see this car die. Ford is the only one who doesn't seem to get it, that an update is needed. A 427 look would certainly do it.

An update has been promised but it will be too little, too late.

• 2 weeks later...

It is probably a safe suggestion to just do some additional tweaking and change the body a bit. Lord knows Ford is trying save pennies while not wasting money on frivolities. But to compete with the future Chevy model and the current MoPar models, someone has to understand that freshening a long standing model will go just so far. It is a contradictory position in which to be. Damned if you do or don't. As the Pennsylvani Dutch (nee Germans from Pennsylvania) might say. Wassgummado? :doh:

I do agree with the 429 concept or even a 49 Mercury more than anything else. Aeronostalgia.

Edited by Frank J. Raniere

• 4 weeks later...

AM I the only one who doesn't like the 427? This is the box car with the shaver grille right? More retro would be better, like the 49. Do a 5.4, 6 speed auto, and the mustang 3 link. that with a snub nose and a long trunk. Would look evil as a police car. All this on the tried and true BOF platform would make for a cost effective upgrade.

A maruader version with the cobra motor, 4.6 or 5.4, and IRS would be a nice upgrade as well.

The current horsepower ratings are:

224 hp standard;

239 hp for Sport and HPP models, and

250 hp for Police Interceptors.

When Ford killed off the Marauder, the air induction from the car was passed along to the CVPI. To me, I don't really consider the horsepower to be that bad with the 239 horsepower and 287 lbs.ft of torque. Mixed with the 3.27, it really helps get the car off the line. Actually, considering the weight, it feels more responsive than I'd expect from 239 horses. I can't say that its underrated because I've neither went to the strip with it or put it on a dyno, but it feels stronger than 239 hp. Maybe it has received some revisions in engine management that has made it quicker. It did receive throttle by wire a year or so ago.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Except primative road manners, inferior space utilization, and ergonomics better suited to fleets and grannies than someone carving up back roads.

Sometimes I wonder just who determines what 'road manners' are desirable.

Are you some kind of Subaru driver?

The Panther in Marauder trim hangs with 60 to 80 thousand dollar Euro sedans on the curves and trounces them on the straits.

You sound like one of those American car hating people at Car and Driver mag. C & D is French owned BTW.

For the money the panther platform is still one of the best deals going. With 100 more HP and Marauder-like Suspension or CVPI suspension on all models the venerable panther would continue to draw buyers. Those who have bought these cars near the end of the model year for the last few years have been about to get them new for around 20K! Go try to beat that anywhere in the market.

If you can't hang while driving the CVPI or Marauder, then accept the fact that you just can't drive!

:rockon:

Edited by Hitchhiker

• 4 weeks later...
I think Ford should bring in the Falcon from Australia to replace the Corwn vic. It is contemporary, and it is a very popular fleet vehicle among the Aussies, and no ugly three bar grille, I shoud add.

Before you upset matthew,

The Falcon is a large compact Taurus sized sedan built on a unitary body. In no way would this meet the prerequisite of full sized sedan with BOF construction. I would rather see Ford Aust. & NA share engineering but develop their own platforms independantly. The big difference with Ford / GM over Japanese is that one size doesn't have to fit all and they are prepared to spend money building specific cars.

I hope the CV gets the same TLC in 2009 as Ford Austalia will give our 2008 "Orion" Falcon.

John D,

Australia.

Edited by jpd80

The Falcon is a large compact Taurus sized sedan built on a unitary body. In no way would this meet the prerequisite of full sized sedan with BOF construction. I would rather see Ford Aust. & NA share engineering but develop their own platforms independantly. The big difference with Ford / GM over Japanese is that one size doesn't have to fit all and they are prepared to spend money building specific cars.

I hope the CV gets the same TLC in 2009 as Ford Austalia will give our 2008 "Orion" Falcon.

John D,

Australia.

Do you have any pictures of the "ORION" Falcon

I would have bought this design, full frame 5.4L 3 V 300HP.

I looked at the Marauder but didn't like the 4.6L in the bigger car.

I agree with what the 1st post describes to the letter!

It seems all the competitors have a large size rear wheel drive. BMW and MB thrive on them and have not flipped flopped around like the big 2!!

Ford should have done what they have been doing with the LS..... Rather than step away from a international design, liked by most, they should have nurtured it!

One of the big problems is with the big 2 your car is 'obsolete in 6 years or less'.

Why do the hot rod guys like GM drive train?...learn by this!!!

John D,

Australia.

To be honest I would like to see the Falcon here bvut not as a CV TC GM replacment but as a 500 replacement.

Make Ford Linc and Merc 2 higher end cars RWD and leave the FWD stuff for the lower end stuff.

I'm sure if Ford is that hung up on AWD they could AWD the Falcon Chassis heck DCX figured a way to AWD the Charger,Magnum,300 I,m sure Ford could AWD the Falcon or derive a chassis from it that could.

That makes the most sence to me.

Matthew

Obviously you guys have not listened to all the anti CV/GM people on this forum. Why bother to update a car that has sold well for decades with little or no updates. A car that is unique in the marketplace. A car that could be updated at a very low cost. A car that has most, of what is probably a very lucrative police cruiser market. Just because it is fleet doesn't mean there is no money in it.

Isn't this the next model of the Crown Vic?

2009_crown_vic.jpg

-Ovaltine

there is nothing wrong with the panther platform, that some advertising, and better option choices wouldnt fix.

ford dealers wont even try to sell you a CV, and LM dealers dont have much exciting to sell anymore. just when the marauder was attracting any attention at all, ford de-contents them, and continued to not advertise them, instead paying a really bad ad agency to make a series of internet story ads about a family of really boring people who drive really boring cars... that few people ever saw.

ford already builds cars that would sell, but wont sell them to us. a lot of people want a car that is basically a CVPI street appearance package, with possibly a floor shift. other people want the LWB version, but its only built for livery/taxi/export, it woudlnt cost anything to just make them available here-all off the shelf stuff.

how about a ala cart option list like the old days? I want a marauder engine, a CVPI exterior, cloth seats and a floor shift, possibly LWB why not?

the LWB version seems like a great option for the CVPI as it gives more room for the cage, and taller drivers, exploit the biggest flaw in other police vehicles (space)

the people who are proclaiming the death of the panther platform, suggesting replacing it with FWD platforms, are by their own opinions people who would never drive a panther anyway... hello so why listen to them?

panther owners, fleet and retail are the most loyal customers in the auto industry. law enforcement would be happy to keep the platform the same for the next twenty years, they dont have to buy new add-ons, I see younger drivers in panthers every day, people do want large RWD cars, and this is an excellent one. do we need change? sure, but there is a lot of life left in this platform. how about a wagon again? a ranchero? a sedan delivery? all cheap, all have no competition anymore, and all are better than minivans and mini trucks. how about a coupe? a convertable? ford complains that few retail units sell, but they dont put any effort into it, and dont offer much more than a plain but solid and safe car.

I dont want AWD,FWD,IRS,manual trans,unibody or anything smaller than the current platform. just more power, and more options.

and try telling people they get 25+mpg, because you dont advertise, people think they get 10mpg. you might sell a lot more if people know a crown vic gets the same mileage as a taurus

Edited by whd507b

• 2 months later...

Ok, the new Crown Victoria is here! In a concept form, and the production version will be here in 18 months!!!! Isn´t it, dear Ford ???????

The Interceptor, with the Mustang-RWD platform (extended ) and with V6 3,5 lt or V8 4,6 lt . Isnt it Ford????

And a wagon version is coming ( you have it ready, Ford, or not???????)

The name could change to LTD, and Crown Victoria wil be for the upscale version. May be 1 year later will be a down-scale version called Galaxie. The Galaxie will go to the rent market, fleet and police department.

• 4 weeks later...

as a daily driver of a 2006 cvpi for Job related duties and being in the snow belt the cvpi Office is very comfortable after many hours of ticket writing In my wish list for my next new office would only be traction control the crown vic is terriable in the snow /ice :reading:

• 3 weeks later...