2009 Focus Gets Rear Head Restraints

FordBuyer

USA Today in Focus review stated that the 2009 Focus will come standard with rear seat head restraints and stability control. I'm not sure why the 2008 Focus couldn't have had rear seat restraints. Not that the rear seats are very hospitable for passengers as is, but without the head restraints or even built in ones like Fusion, it could be very unsafe to be sitting back there in a modern day 2008 model.

USA Today in Focus review stated that the 2009 Focus will come standard with rear seat head restraints and stability control. I'm not sure why the 2008 Focus couldn't have had rear seat restraints. Not that the rear seats are very hospitable for passengers as is, but without the head restraints or even built in ones like Fusion, it could be very unsafe to be sitting back there in a modern day 2008 model.

while they are at it how about the venerable Clubwagon? I'm with you....whiplash central.....

I assume the current management got in too late to change it and still make a launch as 2008 model.

Igor

There is no excuse for not having them these days, your head will go back until something stops it, not a pretty picture, I consider the rear seats of the Focus to be unsafe at any speed..

OK, Ralph Nader. BTW, just because there are headrests back there doesn't mean that they are going to protect you any better than the lack there of (especially if they are designed poorly)

OK, Ralph Nader. BTW, just because there are headrests back there doesn't mean that they are going to protect you any better than the lack there of (especially if they are designed poorly)

Exactly. And while we are at it, why not ditch seats belts, air bags, RSC, and all that other so called "safety" stuff.

then why is it becoming law and every other car company in the world has them in the rear? I am puzzled by this more than anything on that car.

Ford did a good job putting them into their suv's but is way behind the curve in passenger vehicles. Absolutely no excuse-for me it is almost a deal breaker on the vehicle.

For years Ford did not have them on their trucks-still don't have them on the super duty trucks (who the hell cares about mexican workers in the rear)-would you want to have your head 3 inches from the rear glass?

That USA TODAY article was a very good review and highlighted the deficiency in the product-all valid-it is a pretty damn good vehicle-and I am slowly warming up to the looks-the rear is boring-the front is polarizing-but the cost cutting measure by leaving them off is pathetic.

Stability control and ABS run hand in hand, correct? If so, that would mean ABS is standard as well. That would be a very good selling point, and a reason to wait for an '09.

no you can have 3 channel ABS and not be able to implement ESP ... ESP needs 4 channel - one channel for each wheel. TC, EBD, and EBA are direct piggyback technologies on ABS

Igor

Edited by igor

Because we are talking about the Focus...not my car. :finger:

I know ,, but there is a point .. 2 cars in Ford's recent history with no rear hear restraints: Panthers and Taurus (old) - and yet the proponents and die hard fans of bot are raging on the Focus as if it lack of rear head restraints was a fatal flaw..

w/e

good thing they are fixing this ...

Igor

I know ,, but there is a point .. 2 cars in Ford's recent history with no rear hear restraints: Panthers and Taurus (old) - and yet the proponents and die hard fans of bot are raging on the Focus as if it lack of rear head restraints was a fatal flaw..

w/e

Igor

Ford did offer rear head restraints on some 2003-04 Focus. I know because I saw them. Must have been an option, although I believe the SVT Focus had them. You would think Ford would have them across the line up by 2008. The Focus needs them badly. My 2002 Taurus has high back seats with extra cushion at top that at least helps a little if you have short torso. The Focus has short back upright seat that will really whiplash someones neck if hit from rear. Everytime I see a Focus wagon with those short upright back seats my neck gets a twinge. Not sure why Ford is playing game with lack of adjustable rear head restraints on everything but a Limited Taurus. Part of it could be visibility, but I imagine most of it is cost cutting like rear drum brakes, no locking fuel door, no more power trunk release, and no more other things that Ford once gave. I really think that customers do notice little details like this, and are more apt to buy if vehicle has them. To me it's penny wise and pound foolish.

w/e

Igor

30 year old cars don't have head rests. It is retro.

Unless you're well over 6' tall, the rear seatback goes far enough up to prevent you from breaking your neck. We're not talking vehicles from 30-40 years ago where the seatback only came up to the middle of your back.

Sure you'll still get whiplash, but as I've said earlier, I got whiplash -with- head restraints........

Edited by RichardJensen

Unless you're well over 6' tall, the rear seatback goes far enough up to prevent you from breaking your neck. We're not talking vehicles from 30-40 years ago where the seatback only came up to the middle of your back.

Sure you'll still get whiplash, but as I've said earlier, I got whiplash -with- head restraints........

Head restraints are getting better. My 2002 Taurus has much better head restraints than my 99 Taurus did. The best ones invert in towards head so that your head is basically always touching the head restraint at all times limiting head movement in rear ender which is very common collision unfortunately. So many are on cell phones and not paying atttention or some teenager text messaging. I know that few cars on road have rear seat passengers, but good idea for Ford to include adjustable rear seat head restraints before government moves in and makes them rule. I often have friends children in back seat of my Taurus, and at least the high rear back seat gives them some safety, but tall person forget it. At least my back seats offer some amentities like adjustable HVAC vents, reading lamps, lots of leg room, cup holders, and very cushy seats. Also pull straps to get out easily that fold in and out.

I was not arguing against putting the head restraints in ... I am very happy they will .. it was needed .. my point was that Taurus and CV mafia come over ignoring their car's shortcomings and criticizing one of the "modern fords" for the same thing ... unless hey trun a critical eye to their darlings, their opinion is worthless .. I voted with my walet and have a C1 Mazda3 .. and even that car is now off my list for next purchase .. the next car needs ALL the available safety equipment and perfectcrash rating let alone rear-head restraints... by them babies will be coming .. so most compacts are (unfortunately) out of the question.

Igor

This is weird. I just saw my first new 2008 Focus up close today, and was going to come online and post this same exact thread!!!

I was *very* surprised to look at the back seat and not see ANY provision for rear headrests. The interior obviously got a complete makeover, and actually looked pretty nice in black leather! The auto's shifter had a nice touch of chrome on it, and the silver console applique' looked decent. But I couldn't believe it when I saw that the rear head rests weren't included this time around!

Cripes, even the new Elantra now has 3 rear head rests.... and my 2004.5 Spectra had 2 for the outboard passengers going on nearly 4 years ago!

I also noticed that rear disc brakes aren't standard yet either. That's too bad. With those on my Spectra, I've made some pretty impressive stops when fools have pulled out in front of me.

Overall the new Focus *is* an improvement over the previous version. I agree with another poster who said that the rear taillights are too small. They look like little Fusion units with the chrome band around them. A little larger taillights (maybe LEDS?) and the removal of the chrome front fender nostrils would go a long way in improving the exterior appearance of this vehicle. Both of those changes should be a minor thing for the next model year. I like the side indents where the chrome nostrils are placed.... I just don't like the chrome piece that's stuck on there.

If gas/oil keeps the current pace up, Ford should have no problem selling these for the remaining lifespan of the model.

Just don't make us wait TOO long for the next all-new rendition, guys! :-)

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

Rear head restraints is one of the few reasons I bought a Rabbit insyead of a Focus.

Because I'll take the safer car over the less safer car all other things equal.

Also, the IIHS rates cars on rear-crashes as well. Rear head restraints would improve ratings.

As I see it, Ford is creeping the Focus towards 5-star safety ratings by taking this one small step.

I hope they complete the transformation.

You people are incredible, next you'll say airbags offer no protection if a Ford didn't have them..

:finger::finger::finger: