My Lincoln Lineup

I know I know, these are often silly posts but I am interested in this kind of thing and how well people take to it. Now, I am not a guy who wants a silly number of performance or coupe models, this lineup will actually make sense.

1. The first part will deal with the products that we know will be a part of Lincoln going forward.

-MKZ: entry level premium sedan. Keep it based on the CD4/EUCD2 platform in the future, with classy styling and abundant std equipment with AWD as an option. Have the std 3.7 V6 (288hp?) and then as an option the 3.7V6 with DI (330hp?) Competes with Lexus ES, Acura TSX, Saab 9-3, Volvo S60, Audi A4, Cadillac BTS (upcomming) and maybe several others.

-MKS: mid sized luxury sedan. Based on D4 and maybe share platforms with future S80. Have standard AWD and three engine choices. 3.7DI V6 (330?), 3.5TF V6 (410hp?) and some V8 (jag unit, updated volvo unit, NA engine sharing bits with Boss?) (400hp?) And throw in a hybrid model tied to the 3.7V6 in for good measure. This car should always be classy, almost art-deco like (like I think all the great Lincolns have looked and the upcomming MKS looks like) with a large interior, with a pleasing (not techy looking like the germans now a days) interior with the best leather and wood in the class. Market the car as beautiful (not EXTREME) with a fuel efficient answer (the TF V6) to its rivals. Competitors: BMW 5, Mercedes E, Cadillac STS, Audi A6, Lexus GS, Acura RL, Infiniti G45, Volvo S80, etc.

-MKX: mid sized luxury CUV. Keep the next gen based on the CD4/EUCD2 platform, but for the next gen, give it a little more rear overhang and give it a +2 rear seat to give the MKX more seating and family flexibility. Engines should be the same as the MKZ, with the std 3.7V6 (288hp?) and an optional DI version(330Hp?). Competes with: Lexus RX, Acura MDX, Infinit FX, BMW X5, Mercedes GLK, Caddillac BRX (upcomming), Volvo XC60, Audi Q5, etc.

-MKL: large luxury CUV. Based on the D4 platform shared with Flex and MKS,etc. Use the same engine lineup (3.7DI V6, 3.5TF V6, and V8) as the MKS. This large crossover should be the best family vehicle in the luxury field with gorgeous styling and a roomy interior and seating for 6-7. Competitors: Lexus GX, Mercedes ML ,GL, and R Class, Cadillac SRX (if it survives), Audi Q7, Volvo XC90, etc.

-Navigator: large and extra large SUV: based on the T2 platform, the std and extended length Navigators give buyers tremendous room, towing capacity, and luxury. Give it the biggest V8 for the platform and keep it in the new styling theme (MKR) but style it more truckish. Competitors: Lexus LX, Toyota LandCruiser, Infiniti QX, Cadillac Escalade, GMC Denali, Land Rover LR3, etc.

-Town Car: This should be developed into sub-brand built only for limo fleets and the Cotton Top Brigade. Do not advertise with the rest of the lineup.

2. Now on the "goodies," or models that Lincoln could use if its current plan is a success (which I think it will be after the succes of gen1 MKZ and MKX).

-MKR: small luxury sport sedan. Based off of the new world wide RWD platform (D3C?), this car would look as much like the concept as possible and be the brand's true competitor in the entry level field. Armed with RWD and AWD as well as the 3.7DI V6 (330hp?) and the 3.5TF V6 (410hp?) This car will be the super sporty car with radical styling, awesome handling and power, and a driver oriented interior focusing on styling over comfort. I see the MKZ-MKR relationship similar to that of the ES and IS in the Lexus lineup, one is roomier, more comfortable, cheaper, and more conservative, while the other is smaller, sportier, slightly more expensive, and more radically styled. Competitors: BMW 3, Mercedes C, Audi A4, Acura TL, Infiniti G37, Saab 9-5, Lexus IS, Cadillac CTS, etc.

-MKC: large luxury sedan. A true Lincoln flagship based upon either the Jag platform or an overhauled D3C. Make it the roomiest sedan this side of a Maybach or Limo, with 2002 Continental concept styling with an MKR styled grille. Have AWD be an option and the strongest, smoothest V8 in the Ford family, wherever that can be found. Competitors: BMW 7, Mercedes S and CLS, Audi A8, Lexus LS, Jag XJ, Cadillac ETS (?) etc.

-MK9: sporty hardtop convertible. Basically the coupe/convertable version of the MKR with the same engines with maybe a V8 "K-series" added on for good measure. A revitalized Lincoln may need a coupe/convt and using the MK9 badge would be great!

-MKG: small lux cuv. Based on the C2 platform and a mate with the future Escape, Mariner, and Kuga. It would only seat 5 with the std 3.7V6 (288hp?). This smaller, cheaper, and sportier cuv would have more radical styling and less family oriented than the MKX and MKL. Competitors: BMW X3, Acura RDX, Infiniti EX, Mercedes GLK, etc.

Anyway, this is my lineup for Lincoln, what do you think? I know that out of all of the vehicles on my wishlist the MKG is the most likely, but I think they all would have a place in the New Lincoln.

Can't wait for the full reveal of the 2009 MKS in a couple of days. See you on the boards!

I know I know, these are often silly posts but I am interested in this kind of thing and how well people take to it. Now, I am not a guy who wants a silly number of performance or coupe models, this lineup will actually make sense.

1. The first part will deal with the products that we know will be a part of Lincoln going forward.

-MKZ: entry level premium sedan. Keep it based on the CD4/EUCD2 platform in the future, with classy styling and abundant std equipment with AWD as an option. Have the std 3.7 V6 (288hp?) and then as an option the 3.7V6 with DI (330hp?) Competes with Lexus ES, Acura TSX, Saab 9-3, Volvo S60, Audi A4, Cadillac BTS (upcomming) and maybe several others.

-MKS: mid sized luxury sedan. Based on D4 and maybe share platforms with future S80. Have standard AWD and three engine choices. 3.7DI V6 (330?), 3.5TF V6 (410hp?) and some V8 (jag unit, updated volvo unit, NA engine sharing bits with Boss?) (400hp?) And throw in a hybrid model tied to the 3.7V6 in for good measure. This car should always be classy, almost art-deco like (like I think all the great Lincolns have looked and the upcomming MKS looks like) with a large interior, with a pleasing (not techy looking like the germans now a days) interior with the best leather and wood in the class. Market the car as beautiful (not EXTREME) with a fuel efficient answer (the TF V6) to its rivals. Competitors: BMW 5, Mercedes E, Cadillac STS, Audi A6, Lexus GS, Acura RL, Infiniti G45, Volvo S80, etc.

-MKX: mid sized luxury CUV. Keep the next gen based on the CD4/EUCD2 platform, but for the next gen, give it a little more rear overhang and give it a +2 rear seat to give the MKX more seating and family flexibility. Engines should be the same as the MKZ, with the std 3.7V6 (288hp?) and an optional DI version(330Hp?). Competes with: Lexus RX, Acura MDX, Infinit FX, BMW X5, Mercedes GLK, Caddillac BRX (upcomming), Volvo XC60, Audi Q5, etc.

-MKL: large luxury CUV. Based on the D4 platform shared with Flex and MKS,etc. Use the same engine lineup (3.7DI V6, 3.5TF V6, and V8) as the MKS. This large crossover should be the best family vehicle in the luxury field with gorgeous styling and a roomy interior and seating for 6-7. Competitors: Lexus GX, Mercedes ML ,GL, and R Class, Cadillac SRX (if it survives), Audi Q7, Volvo XC90, etc.

-Navigator: large and extra large SUV: based on the T2 platform, the std and extended length Navigators give buyers tremendous room, towing capacity, and luxury. Give it the biggest V8 for the platform and keep it in the new styling theme (MKR) but style it more truckish. Competitors: Lexus LX, Toyota LandCruiser, Infiniti QX, Cadillac Escalade, GMC Denali, Land Rover LR3, etc.

-Town Car: This should be developed into sub-brand built only for limo fleets and the Cotton Top Brigade. Do not advertise with the rest of the lineup.

2. Now on the "goodies," or models that Lincoln could use if its current plan is a success (which I think it will be after the succes of gen1 MKZ and MKX).

-MKR: small luxury sport sedan. Based off of the new world wide RWD platform (D3C?), this car would look as much like the concept as possible and be the brand's true competitor in the entry level field. Armed with RWD and AWD as well as the 3.7DI V6 (330hp?) and the 3.5TF V6 (410hp?) This car will be the super sporty car with radical styling, awesome handling and power, and a driver oriented interior focusing on styling over comfort. I see the MKZ-MKR relationship similar to that of the ES and IS in the Lexus lineup, one is roomier, more comfortable, cheaper, and more conservative, while the other is smaller, sportier, slightly more expensive, and more radically styled. Competitors: BMW 3, Mercedes C, Audi A4, Acura TL, Infiniti G37, Saab 9-5, Lexus IS, Cadillac CTS, etc.

-MKC: large luxury sedan. A true Lincoln flagship based upon either the Jag platform or an overhauled D3C. Make it the roomiest sedan this side of a Maybach or Limo, with 2002 Continental concept styling with an MKR styled grille. Have AWD be an option and the strongest, smoothest V8 in the Ford family, wherever that can be found. Competitors: BMW 7, Mercedes S and CLS, Audi A8, Lexus LS, Jag XJ, Cadillac ETS (?) etc.

-MK9: sporty hardtop convertible. Basically the coupe/convertable version of the MKR with the same engines with maybe a V8 "K-series" added on for good measure. A revitalized Lincoln may need a coupe/convt and using the MK9 badge would be great!

-MKG: small lux cuv. Based on the C2 platform and a mate with the future Escape, Mariner, and Kuga. It would only seat 5 with the std 3.7V6 (288hp?). This smaller, cheaper, and sportier cuv would have more radical styling and less family oriented than the MKX and MKL. Competitors: BMW X3, Acura RDX, Infiniti EX, Mercedes GLK, etc.

Anyway, this is my lineup for Lincoln, what do you think? I know that out of all of the vehicles on my wishlist the MKG is the most likely, but I think they all would have a place in the New Lincoln.

Can't wait for the full reveal of the 2009 MKS in a couple of days. See you on the boards!

How would you have the MKR stand out from a RWD V-8 Taurus on the Global RWD platform?

post-11790-1130436685_thumb.jpg

He will the first time he turns a corner in a snowstorm.

I was thinking along the lines of if it's RWD and V8 it will have different marketing and will "feel" different to the average Joe. If you give people something they don't expect it's not normally a positive response like if they ask for Vanilla and you give them Vanilla with Chocolate swirls.

I like your ideas. when is the MKS supposed to debut?