Skilled Trades BEWARE of this CONTRACT!!!

beatdown

I've only read little pieces and highlights from the proposed contract, But I have to say given the financial state of Ford and the current climate of declining U.S. manufacturing wages.... I think the Bargaining team did a hell of a job.

I was expecting wage concessions, the elimination or extreme reform of the GEN bank, Increased health care costs and I really figured Ford would try and push for the Two trade maintenance model (Mechanical & Electrical). Well I'm glad to say I was dead wrong on the wage concessions and Two trade maintenance model, And the Gen bank reform is much better than I expected. The increased health care costs are about what I expected.

As a Ford tradesman, I'm very pleased with this contract..... It's much better than what I had envisioned.

Edited by mrballsonya

Wouldnt be much of a tradesman if you can find one that would be willing to work for that wage.

I agree.

Things are bad out there in the job market for tradesman, but not that bad. This falls under the age old adage...."you get what you pay for". If Ford wants to hire $14 an hour tradesmen, so be it. But I hope they don't expect any type of craftsmanship from someone making slightly more than a cashier at Costco.

Yeah. Real fair. Have somebody go to school for 4 years to learn a craft then cut the pay in half he could make on the outside. :rolleyes:

Ain't gonna happen.

As a tradesman, now working production with 23 years seniority, NEVER say never! My plant closed and the relocation plant does not have my classification. I do work day in and day out that people with half my seniority won't do. Seniority keeps you working but does not guarantee what you will do. Seniority does not get you a better job - you have to fight for it. Ford will educate you - but also doesn't care if you take your education to the streets. If you go now - they can hire someone 2nd tier! All fellow trades that complain when they are given a job, or they don't have a cart to drive to get there, or you feel like you haven't had time to drive to Mc Donalds or play cards, picture yourself back in production and next time fix the water fountain that is broken, when there is a breakdown do all you can to help your fellow UAW and make his job easier. Someday it may just be you again! :finger:

hence the lable tradesperson e.g. singular, person.... don't get your coveralls in a bunch. at this point in time it would be a team leader not line supervisor :hysterical:

Thanks for the clarification and the definition.....after this many years one would think I could read a post.......

• 3 years later...

This is a great agreement

Skilled Trades have many options

1) You may voluntarily go to a production job in your current building with no strike against you and get date of entry in production and have return rights within your skilled sen.

2) If you voluntarily take a production job outside of your bargaining unit you may use you full company seniority w/ recall rights within your trade.

Read the contract don't make assumtions.......

This is what I have always believed to be true. Can you tell me where to find it in the contract? I have been looking and can't seem to locate it.

Thank you

We don't want skill trades working on the line, they never did any work in a plant, so I don't want these dumb asses working next to me putting me a harms way!.

Get a job at Boeing.

They can't take a job from you, so why so angry?

And what about production that went to trades but were bumped back to production?

Quite a burr you have under your saddle.

• Like 2

We don't want skill trades working on the line, they never did any work in a plant, so I don't want these dumb asses working next to me putting me a harms way!.

Get a job at Boeing.

Well you're quite the Union Brother.

Get some Solidarity instead of dividing the Union Membership

• Like 4

I've only read little pieces and highlights from the proposed contract, But I have to say given the financial state of Ford and the current climate of declining U.S. manufacturing wages.... I think the Bargaining team did a hell of a job.

I was expecting wage concessions, the elimination or extreme reform of the GEN bank, Increased health care costs and I really figured Ford would try and push for the Two trade maintenance model (Mechanical & Electrical). Well I'm glad to say I was dead wrong on the wage concessions and Two trade maintenance model, And the Gen bank reform is much better than I expected. The increased health care costs are about what I expected.

As a Ford tradesman, I'm very pleased with this contract..... It's much better than what I had envisioned.

The 2007 contract was thought to be a victory as well. It didnt take long to modify that contract. Dont hold your breath, be prepared for a bumpy road ahead.

It is hard to hire experienced people to work on automation for $25 an hour.I dont see $14 an hour skilled trades.The trades are whipped in other ways,mandatory 12`s,mandatory weekends{paid 125% for the first 10 hours},mandatory holidays if required,reduced shift premium,hard to get tools,hard to get batteries or tape.Trades seldom stick together because the boss uses favoritism and special deals to divide and conquer.The millions $$$$ of investment Ford has in automation,the trades salary is not a major problem.Also there are safety considerations and building code regulations.If a production worker making $14 an hour gets hurt doing maintenance work,unless that person has safety training,Ford is sued.Trades are the cannon fodder for improved efficiency.Ford really wants the $28 production worker but they are the majority.One thing for sure is the trades will pay something this next contract.If you have a good union local you may get a fair local agreement.That is your/our only hope.

Get a job at Boeing.

You sound like a jealous, ignorant DICK !! Don't talk about things and people you don't know !! They're are just as many hard working skilled workers as they're are production workers. If you are as dissastified with your job as your wife is with your dick do something about it to better yourself and not try to down them so they feel as shitty as you. Oh yea have a nice day !!

We don't want skill trades working on the line(They don't want to be there either.), they never did any work in a plant(Wrong, many did come from the line and others have literally kept a plant running so the line workers can keep their job in the plant instead of it being "shuttered".), so I don't want these dumb asses working next to me putting me a harms way(The feeling is mutual!)!.

Get a job at Boeing.(They could. could you?)

Happy Labor Day!