09 EDGE WISH LIST

regfootball

Mine.......

new interior w/ new radio and climate controls and new center stack, console and guages and cupholders, more seat bolstering, nicer door panels

manual shift mode with paddle shifters

single panel sunroof available for those who don't like the huge one

body color lower trim available

SVT version or sim. with lowered suspension (reduce ground clearance a bit)

direct injection 3.7 engine and turbo as an option

not sure i can wait. need new vehicle in oct 08. will the 09 have any of these changes?

HID Headlamps

Keyless Access

Push Button Start

Ambient Lighting

Sport Version (lower, boosted engine, etc)

Body Color Lower Trim

Opt For Chrome Mirror Caps, Door Handles, Beltline Trim, Etc

Heated Rear Seats

Cooled Front Seats

TapShift Tranny--?

CVT Tranny--?

Rear View Camera

HID Headlamps

Keyless Access

Push Button Start

Ambient Lighting

Sport Version (lower, boosted engine, etc)

Body Color Lower Trim

Opt For Chrome Mirror Caps, Door Handles, Beltline Trim, Etc

Heated Rear Seats

Cooled Front Seats

TapShift Tranny--?

CVT Tranny--?

Rear View Camera

I agree w/ those.

• 2 weeks later...

I still don't understand the phenomenon of wanting manual shift paddles on anything other then an SMG. After you use it for the first 3 minutes, the other 99,999 miles are in D. The lag time even on a 996 with Tiptronic or the highly lauded Mazda 6 autoshift is incredibly annoying. Everybody trading them in say they never use it after the first week. If you've ever driven a manual transmission, let alone a motorcycle, you end up hating autoshift very quickly.

Push button start is another wtf. It's ok when it has a smart key in theory, but they often have strange startup procedures i.e. doors must all be closed, manuals must be in reverse with parking brake on, etc etc). BMW made using a key even more complicated by making a non-directional key box you must insert properly into a tiny unlit slot before being able to start the car(the right one of 4 possible ways it will fit into the hole), not to mention specific procedures(that are always unintuitive) before it will let the key go from the slot so you can get out of the car-and any other keys attached bang against the dash while driving. They end up being as annoying as GM's insistence on all but locking you in the car until you turn the key all the way off. I must run into the door with my shoulder twice every time I park a GM product as its quite natural to start opening a door before the car is fully shut down. Being that you can start the car without making an active effort to turn a spring-loaded key, the lawyers have made sure there are at least 2 things to do that millions of drivers have never had to do before to start/stop their cars. I drive just about everything, and 'smart' keys and pushbutton starts guarantees at least one good, solid 'fuck!' every time you drive one.

Don't know about ambient lighting, I've had 3 S197's now and I like the IUP lighting, but the ambient lighting has actually been quite lukewarm at best with shoppers over 21 years old. A lot of people just flat out don't like it at all and ask if you can get it without it or turn it off as soon as you show it. The Mustang's IUP might be ok, but apparently from polls 90% of Mustang owners with it just put it on blue and leave it.

But for real changes:

-POWER BACKREST TILT :finger: wtf is up with Ford and their sheer defiance of it?

-Heat/AC seats, Ford insists these are the 'up-market' incentive to buying Lincolns, uh, maybe a class-exclusive surprise and delight feature on the vehicles that actualy SELL makes a bit more sense. :finger:

-I guess other stuff like rear view camera for those who can't drive should be included default with nav units at no cost considering everybody else does it and it costs virtually nothing for the camera unit-not to mention the already high cost of some options on Edge. The car is shorter then a Mustang so somebody who has THAT much trouble parking should stick to something like a yellow Festiva with tires tied around it like a tugboat in the first place. Reverse sensing keeps you out of a lot of trouble. Funny enough, the vehicle that really needs it, the Expy EL, has the mirror camera which is too small, the guide lines too bright, and ends up being annoying. Most effective use of it I have seen is the Toyota Sienna's. Most others are a gimmick. Its funny to see how much this 'technology' actually slows people's parking down in crowded lots, not everybody(hardly anybody that drives minivans/suv's) is video game-savy and can translate driving a car backwards looking at the middle of the dash.

-HID lighting

-Interior is OK, but yes some quality upgrades including a few 'smart' ones, like something more scratch-resistant on the lower doors. I don't think they have to go to a padded dash, but upper door panels where you rest an elbow would be a plus.

-definitely a shade for the rear cargo area

-heated mirrors on all SEL and up models standard

-adjustable pedals(get a lot of requests for this from a lot of expy/explorer owners shopping them)

-BRAKE PAD UPGRADE! I am probably going to Hawk suv pads on the fronts in the near future-and the vehicle is brand new. this common complaint in reviews I totally agree with. From what I have seen, they use the exact same brakes as the Mustang GT, but with up to 700lbs more weight.

-I haven't driven the 'sport suspension' equipped -08's yet, but being as heavy as the Edge is, I really don't see an all-out sport model in its future. I really like my SEL+ with the 18"s and think its more then capable for any normal level of driving. If the sport suspension and 20" wheel option stiffens it up 20%, it should be all it needs. At over 4000lbs, the thought of a turbocharged 400hp Edge is a little disconcerting.

As for 08 changes:

The added 'hole' in rear decklid on 08's because opening the hatch was deemed complicated(I guess the uncoordinated could hit themselves in the face with the liftgate) looks awful and on lighter colors totally takes away from it having a stellar ass. Great curves, nice small window and sharp wing and BIG RECTANGLE HOLE! in the middle, ugh. I do NOT understand that change. I tried using it and it's actually a cumbersome location for a lift. It looks like a mail slot. A super-stupid 'enhancement'. The black dashboards(I have black interior) as standard on all models is a big plus, as the grey/camel ones reflect way too much into the windshield.

I'm kinda in a debate about the vehicles weight, it could use a 400lb cut for sportiness, but it does feel as tight as a bank vault as it sits now, this thing is one tough egg.

Edited by kevinb120

The biggest things are new interior, addition of features like manushift (although you don't need paddles), single moonroof, keyless access, HID/LED lights and climate seats would be nice.

The best feature could be dropping about 150-200 lbs.

I don't think it needs a more powerful engine. It is already at/near the top with its competitors. I would focus on a couple mpgs, if possible, first.

I still don't understand the phenomenon of wanting manual shift paddles on anything other then an SMG. After you use it for the first 3 minutes, the other 99,999 miles are in D. The lag time even on a 996 with Tiptronic or the highly lauded Mazda 6 autoshift is incredibly annoying. Everybody trading them in say they never use it after the first week. If you've ever driven a manual transmission, let alone a motorcycle, you end up hating autoshift very quickly.

Push button start is another wtf. It's ok when it has a smart key in theory, but they often have strange startup procedures i.e. doors must all be closed, manuals must be in reverse with parking brake on, etc etc). BMW made using a key even more complicated by making a non-directional key box you must insert properly into a tiny unlit slot before being able to start the car(the right one of 4 possible ways it will fit into the hole), not to mention specific procedures(that are always unintuitive) before it will let the key go from the slot so you can get out of the car-and any other keys attached bang against the dash while driving. They end up being as annoying as GM's insistence on all but locking you in the car until you turn the key all the way off. I must run into the door with my shoulder twice every time I park a GM product as its quite natural to start opening a door before the car is fully shut down. Being that you can start the car without making an active effort to turn a spring-loaded key, the lawyers have made sure there are at least 2 things to do that millions of drivers have never had to do before to start/stop their cars. I drive just about everything, and 'smart' keys and pushbutton starts guarantees at least one good, solid 'fuck!' every time you drive one.

I dont really understand the big desire for a manu-matic mode. As you said, nobody really uses it, especially (IMO) on a CUV.

You mentioned BMW's push button system. You were referring to the standard starting system, they do have an option --the comfort access package-- which allows you to leave the key in your pocket, push the brake, then start button and go, it makes a lot more sense than the standard system you mentioned.

The biggest things are new interior, addition of features like manushift (although you don't need paddles), single moonroof, keyless access, HID/LED lights and climate seats would be nice.

The best feature could be dropping about 150-200 lbs.

I don't think it needs a more powerful engine. It is already at/near the top with its competitors. I would focus on a couple mpgs, if possible, first.

I agree w/ you about the HIDs and climate seats.

I think the main update should be on the center stack area with the detached information screen. And please option new chrome wheels (not plastic covered steel wheels).

Hey, they are plastic covered aluminum wheels, not steel... :P

I have two vehicles with Ford's "Chrome Clad" wheels and I have to admit that I like them. Especially how easy they are to clean.

Yea, they don't bother me much either. The Chry 300s chrome wheels are the same way. Not sure what the advantage is supposed to be as in a mass-production scheme it probably costs the same to do that as plate it. Although if you rash the edge of the rim at least it can be repaired. But after the car is washed and dried, you just windex em :)

Some of you may be old enough to remember a strange hybrid wheel Ford tried on sedans like the Tempo, where they bonded a plastic decorative coating to the steel wheel making for much more convincing psudo-alloy then a hub cap. The plastic was actually a little elastic. Some poople had the cars for 5 years and never even knew they weren't alloy when I pointed it out to them. If you fogies remember that, you may remember the AWD tempo models as well, which was considered a complete waste of money to get at the time...

Edited by kevinb120

Yea, they don't bother me much either. The Chry 300s chrome wheels are the same way. Not sure what the advantage is supposed to be as in a mass-production scheme it probably costs the same to do that as plate it. Although if you rash the edge of the rim at least it can be repaired. But after the car is washed and dried, you just windex em :)

Some of you may be old enough to remember a strange hybrid wheel Ford tried on sedans like the Tempo, where they bonded a plastic decorative coating to the steel wheel making for much more convincing psudo-alloy then a hub cap. The plastic was actually a little elastic. Some poople had the cars for 5 years and never even knew they weren't alloy when I pointed it out to them. If you fogies remember that, you may remember the AWD tempo models as well, which was considered a complete waste of money to get at the time...

Hey, I remember that! I also remember the Mark VIII grill that you could squeeze with your fingers and it would flex back to its original shape.

Edited by bravestar

I remember those wheels. I'm not a fan of the Tempo wheels, the trim ring got in the way with a short valve stem on a tire and I could not inflat it at a gas station late one evening. I had to put on the spare and get the nail taken out the next day. A month later I pried off the dang trim ring. What a POS!!! My brother lived in Ohio and had a AWD Tempo. Drove everywhere. I think the snowplow driver had one too!

Hey, I remember that! I also remember the Mark VIII grill that you could squeeze with your fingers and it would flex back to its original shape.

I liked that grill for that specific reason. Why don't they put that on cars now instead of the stiff plastic with paint crap? I mean everybody does the cheesy grill material!

"Push button start is another wtf. It's ok when it has a smart key in theory, but they often have strange startup procedures i.e. doors must all be closed, manuals must be in reverse with parking brake on, etc etc). BMW made using a key even more complicated by making a non-directional key box you must insert properly into a tiny unlit slot before being able to start the car(the right one of 4 possible ways it will fit into the hole), not to mention specific procedures(that are always unintuitive) before it will let the key go from the slot so you can get out of the car-and any other keys attached bang against the dash while driving. They end up being as annoying as GM's insistence on all but locking you in the car until you turn the key all the way off. I must run into the door with my shoulder twice every time I park a GM product as its quite natural to start opening a door before the car is fully shut down. Being that you can start the car without making an active effort to turn a spring-loaded key, the lawyers have made sure there are at least 2 things to do that millions of drivers have never had to do before to start/stop their cars. I drive just about everything, and 'smart' keys and pushbutton starts guarantees at least one good, solid 'fuck!' every time you drive one."

Right! Not very smart in my mind! The GM thing has been around forever, and I have hated it at least that long!

"Push button start is another wtf. It's ok when it has a smart key in theory, but they often have strange startup procedures i.e. doors must all be closed, manuals must be in reverse with parking brake on, etc etc). BMW made using a key even more complicated by making a non-directional key box you must insert properly into a tiny unlit slot before being able to start the car(the right one of 4 possible ways it will fit into the hole), not to mention specific procedures(that are always unintuitive) before it will let the key go from the slot so you can get out of the car-and any other keys attached bang against the dash while driving. They end up being as annoying as GM's insistence on all but locking you in the car until you turn the key all the way off. I must run into the door with my shoulder twice every time I park a GM product as its quite natural to start opening a door before the car is fully shut down. Being that you can start the car without making an active effort to turn a spring-loaded key, the lawyers have made sure there are at least 2 things to do that millions of drivers have never had to do before to start/stop their cars. I drive just about everything, and 'smart' keys and pushbutton starts guarantees at least one good, solid 'fuck!' every time you drive one."

Right! Not very smart in my mind! The GM thing has been around forever, and I have hated it at least that long!

I agree with all of your post. I disliked the autolock feature as it was before because of its insistance on the doors always being locked, even if you pushed the unlock. Now it is a much better compromise on the Fusion where that when you open the drivers door, all the other doors unlock. That, to me, is a good compromise.

again today i cursed the locking on my 500, i got out of the car and tried to open the back door to let the kid out and duh, i forgot to unlock my own car doors on the way out. i hope they change this and soon. it is the one thing that makes me hate the car and pssobly switch brands next time.

again today i cursed the locking on my 500, i got out of the car and tried to open the back door to let the kid out and duh, i forgot to unlock my own car doors on the way out. i hope they change this and soon. it is the one thing that makes me hate the car and pssobly switch brands next time.

On any Ford product with factory keypad, this cab be disabled.

The new Taurus is not like your Five Hundred, it works like the Fusion's. Open the drivers door and all the other doors unlock (thankfully)

The new Taurus is not like your Five Hundred, it works like the Fusion's. Open the drivers door and all the other doors unlock (thankfully)

Based on your post and a couple of others at the site. Makes me think that Mullaly has got the boys and girls at Ford to start listening to the consumer. In may not last forever, but it's definitely going in the right direction! Finally! :happy feet:

Based on your post and a couple of others at the site. Makes me think that Mullaly has got the boys and girls at Ford to start listening to the consumer. In may not last forever, but it's definitely going in the right direction! Finally! :happy feet:

I am glad the vehicle is this good that there only a few things that are bothersome to some people. The thing that annoys me the most is the procedure you have to use to open the rear hatch on this as well as a new Expedition. You must have the button on the hatch pressed when you lift it or it will not unlatch. I liked the lever pull on the 07 Expedition better and on the Explorer. You can activate the lever and then readjust you hold for better leverage in lifting the hatch. Minor annoyance once you know the procedure but if you don't, then you will be just like the testers at the consumer magazine and think that it is too heavy to lift.

I don't know the procedure off hand, but it should be in the manual. I know that I deactivated the auto lock on our 2005 F150 using the keypad. I believe you should be bale to do something with it using the right set of numbers.

Interesting, I didn't know you were able to disengage the autolock feature.