09 EDGE WISH LIST

regfootball

• 1 month later...

This really hurts.... I can understand how the Lincoln has an engine cover (more 'upscale' and all that), but the MAZDA too??!!

FORD guys: If you're reading this, you really need to add this cover to the EDGE. Just cover the Mazda logo with the blue Ford oval, and you're done. Make it available as an add-on accessory for us folks with the '07 and '08's. If it was available today, I'd buy it and install it. It's an insult to see this on the Mazda and not Ford.

post-31669-1205247002_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I'd agree with that. The 3.5 is an awesome engine. Why isn't Ford bragging about it to anyone that sees it? Can it really cost that much to at least emboss the Ford oval?

Here's something else I discovered yesterday. My '07 has the BAMR. The wiring diagrams show that the switches for the BAMR are lighted in the MKX, but not in the Edge.

Since I've swapped out the dim green LEDs in most of the controls to bright blue ones, I decided to take apart the BAMR switch to see if the LEDs are inside the switch, and they are. The only reason they're not lighted is that there's no wire running from the Accessory Delay feed running up the A-pillar to the switch assembly...a 3-foot piece of wire, and missing only on the Edge. The ground is already there.

That extra wire will be there when I'm done with it, but I have to wonder why a top-of-the-line Edge (or any Edge with the BAMR, for that matter), wouldn't have lighted controls when 1) it's so easy to add, and 2) they're on the MKX (actually, on the MKX, they're tied to instrument panel lighting, but I think they should be tied to accessory delay, just like the window controls).

Here's the circuit board inside the BAMR switch. The LEDs are the small white squares, and they do work (pins 1 and 2 on the switch connector).

edge-bamr-switch.jpg

/rant

Edited by jpark

For years I've watched and wished Ford had what a Lincoln did. Auto-dimming mirrors, auto-headlights on, power door locks, cooled seats, carpeted trunks, etc.

But people can't seem to wait. They want it all and want it now and for free. Ford's answer is to buy the Lincoln.

Well I wonder how soon they'll complain that Ford doesn't have a MKT model like Lincoln, or why they don't have a sedan like the MKR.

Since you want all the 'luxury' features the high end models have, then at what point do you draw a line and say this will be just for the big boys? What items should only be in the luxury line?

This is a relevant question, because Ford has and is moving upscale and will not compete in the bottom markets. With under 15% share, your choice's are either you become the economy leader or you try to make maximum profit on everything you sell. Identical vehicles, but one will be top end, what do we not add to the lower volume seller?

Two points:

ipark: Can you come back here and document the wiring modification so I can do this my sunroof switches too? It bugs the heck out of me that these controls are lighted and to find out that it's because of a wire that Ford didn't include drives me even more crazy. It's amazing to hear that the LED's are on the board but not powered! The person that made this decision should find a new line of work. I was actually thinking about going to a Lincoln dealer and buying the switch assembly so I could have the lighted controls. Good thing I didn't do that huh? I don't consider lighted switches and controls to be an "upscale" or "luxury" feature. They should be lighted in any vehicle. In this case, what's upscale about it? The means to light them is already there; just add 10 cents worth of wire!!!

That leads me to my second point for critic:

Lots of people comment on things like the interior plastics and materials, etc. not being more high quality. This doesn't bother me on my Edge, because after all, it is a FORD.... not a Lincoln. I understand why the Lincoln has the A/C front seats, the heated rear seats, the wood, the upscale interior panels and THX stereo: It's a Lincoln and supposedly a step up. You want that stuff, you step up to Lincoln. But lighted switches and engine covers are not upscale in my opinion. I feel the same way about Xenon lights. If Toyota's and Mazda's have them, they should be on the Edge too.

Some of you may be old enough to remember a strange hybrid wheel Ford tried on sedans like the Tempo, where they bonded a plastic decorative coating to the steel wheel making for much more convincing psudo-alloy then a hub cap. The plastic was actually a little elastic. Some poople had the cars for 5 years and never even knew they weren't alloy when I pointed it out to them. If you fogies remember that, you may remember the AWD tempo models as well, which was considered a complete waste of money to get at the time...

The wheels were called Polycast.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. The 3.5 is an awesome engine. Why isn't Ford bragging about it to anyone that sees it? Can it really cost that much to at least emboss the Ford oval?

Here's something else I discovered yesterday. My '07 has the BAMR. The wiring diagrams show that the switches for the BAMR are lighted in the MKX, but not in the Edge.

Since I've swapped out the dim green LEDs in most of the controls to bright blue ones, I decided to take apart the BAMR switch to see if the LEDs are inside the switch, and they are. The only reason they're not lighted is that there's no wire running from the Accessory Delay feed running up the A-pillar to the switch assembly...a 3-foot piece of wire, and missing only on the Edge. The ground is already there.

That extra wire will be there when I'm done with it, but I have to wonder why a top-of-the-line Edge (or any Edge with the BAMR, for that matter), wouldn't have lighted controls when 1) it's so easy to add, and 2) they're on the MKX (actually, on the MKX, they're tied to instrument panel lighting, but I think they should be tied to accessory delay, just like the window controls).

Here's the circuit board inside the BAMR switch. The LEDs are the small white squares, and they do work (pins 1 and 2 on the switch connector).

edge-bamr-switch.jpg

/rant

Jpark,

Can you tell us which LED's you've swapped out? Maybe also give a rating on the difficulty of each one? Have you done the dash lights? I would really like to see these in blue. Also if you have any pictures that would be great.

Clayton

Jpark,

Can you tell us which LED's you've swapped out? Maybe also give a rating on the difficulty of each one? Have you done the dash lights? I would really like to see these in blue. Also if you have any pictures that would be great.

Clayton

I just picked up my Edge today and I drove it shortly tonight. I too would like to have these switches lit!!! Actually I have to bring the car back to the dealer next week to replace the entire headliner, after I discovered a small tear in the said liner.

If they will run this wire now's the time!!! Can we get a diagram to show what's needed?

I want these switches illuminated :banghead:

I just picked up my Edge today and I drove it shortly tonight. I too would like to have these switches lit!!! Actually I have to bring the car back to the dealer next week to replace the entire headliner, after I discovered a small tear in the said liner.

If they will run this wire now's the time!!! Can we get a diagram to show what's needed?

I want these switches illuminated :banghead:

Do you like it so far (except for the headliner problem, of course)? I hope you enjoy the vehicle. I know 2 people with new Edges and they both have enjoyed them so far.

EDIT: you can disregard the first part of this comment, RTX17, I saw your other post and had a better response.

Edited by rmc523

• 2 weeks later...
ipark: Can you come back here and document the wiring modification so I can do this my sunroof switches too?

Jpark, Can you tell us which LED's you've swapped out? Maybe also give a rating on the difficulty of each one? Have you done the dash lights? I would really like to see these in blue. Also if you have any pictures that would be great.

I just picked up my Edge today and I drove it shortly tonight. I too would like to have these switches lit!!!

Well, I just found out about step 1, the BAMR switch connector. It's a 14-pin connector that Ford also uses for some audio head units, and it's sold separately as pigtail assembly WPT-287. This is available for about $55. That's a little steep for the two pins I'm going to remove from it and plug into the connector already in the car (so I can run the ground and Accessory Delay leads), so I'm going to see if the pins are available separately. At least I found the correct connector.

More later. I may start another thread on this to stay on-topic when I find out more.