The Diesels are Comming

matthewq4b

Yes, natural urea is found in your urine. Synthetic urea is made from ammonia and carbon dioxide, and is widely used in agriculture. According to BMW's diesel guru, Dr Fritz Steinparzer, even if every diesel vehicle in the world needed AdBlue, it would still only account for 1 per cent of current urea production.

One wonders, though, how much greenhouses gas (GHG) is emitted in manufacturing and distributing urea, offsetting the GHG-reduction benefits of diesels, just to meet stringent new N0x limits that are arguably tighter than they need to be.

Good on BMW leading the way with technology.

I suspect the carbon footprint for Amonia would be low since Carbon Dioxide is used in the process and 99% of Urea is made for other industries anyway.

There's also a new catylist for Diesel exhausts that doesn't require Urea but that's a bit further off.

Either way, a high Tech TDI in F150 or F250 would give similar performance as the gas 5.4 or 6.8

with much better fuel economy. After all, heavy vehicles need lots of low end torque - something diesels do well!

Edited by jpd80

Good on BMW leading the way with technology.

I suspect the carbon footprint for Amonia would be low since Carbon Dioxide is used in the process and 99% of Urea is made for other industries anyway.

There's also a new catylist for Diesel exhausts that doesn't require Urea but that's a bit further off.

Either way, a high Tech TDI in F150 or F250 would give similar performance as the gas 5.4 or 6.8

with much better fuel economy. After all, heavy vehicles need lots of low end torque - something diesels do well!

Yes I agree.

And it looks like they have reduced Urea consumption down to a point where it will be serviced at oil changes.

BMW has been saying that they will be bringing their diesels here since the announcement of USLD. They just never gave a definitive date until now. I predict that the 3 series and the 5 series oil burners are going to big sellers for them. Now BMW just has to do some thing about Being Bio compatible. Hopefully we will get the 5 series wagon here in an Oil Burner. If such is the case then the Mazda 6 wagon will be gone in fairly short order.

The BMW Oil burners should help with their CAFE fines as well.

If these engines deliver any where near the kind of mileage that they do in the EU it could mean tough competition for the Hybreds. This is certainly a feather in BMW's hat. Now we just have to see these high tech diesels in main stream vehicles.

I applaud BMW for not getting sucked in to the Hybred trap and sticking to the belief that Diesels are a far better option.

And so much for one individuals idea that we will not see modern 50 state compliant EU Diesels on the shores of NA any time soon. This happened even faster than I expected.

Yes I agree.

And it looks like they have reduced Urea consumption down to a point where it will be serviced at oil changes.

BMW has been saying that they will be bringing their diesels here since the announcement of USLD. They just never gave a definitive date until now. I predict that the 3 series and the 5 series oil burners are going to big sellers for them. Now BMW just has to do some thing about Being Bio compatible. Hopefully we will get the 5 series wagon here in an Oil Burner. If such is the case then the Mazda 6 wagon will be gone in fairly short order.

The BMW Oil burners should help with their CAFE fines as well.

If these engines deliver any where near the kind of mileage that they do in the EU it could mean tough competition for the Hybreds. This is certainly a feather in BMW's hat. Now we just have to see these high tech diesels in main stream vehicles.

I applaud BMW for not getting sucked in to the Hybred trap and sticking to the belief that Diesels are a far better option.

And so much for one individuals idea that we will not see modern 50 state compliant EU Diesels on the shores of NA any time soon. This happened even faster than I expected.

I wonder how many BMW buyers are going to give up that sweet I6 for a diesel. I'm betting not many. Most Americans don't want diesels and gas will have to go up much higher than $3 to get Americans into diesel cars. With recession looming, gas prices could go down and dealers will then be sitting on diesels. The new diesels are still loud at idle and in low rpm range.

I wonder how many BMW buyers are going to give up that sweet I6 for a diesel. I'm betting not many. Most Americans don't want diesels and gas will have to go up much higher than $3 to get Americans into diesel cars. With recession looming, gas prices could go down and dealers will then be sitting on diesels. The new diesels are still loud at idle and in low rpm range.

Better re read the artical Ford.

Apparently you have not driven these new Diesels. They are nothing like the Diesels of old. You can not even tell these are diesels listening to them. No clatter no smoke and no noisier than a gas unit. Time to step out of the 1980's And BMW will not be giving up current owners to these cars, they will be attracting new ones. And if you think gasoline prices are going to go down your in for a rude awakening. Enjoy the current pricing while you can cause by next summer these prices are going to look cheap.

Matthew

Audi is set to debut the first twelve-cylinder diesel engine in a series passenger car. A six-litre V12 will be available in the Audi Q7 that is reminiscent of the engine featured in the all-conquering R10 Le Mans racing car and it catapults the driving performance of the Audi Q7 SUV into the echelons of top-class sports cars. The V12 TDI engine produces a colossal 500 PS and 1,000 Nm of torque giving the car a 0 to 100 km/h time of just 5.5 seconds.

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/content/...%2Fspan%3E+cars

Audi rewrote the diesel record books earlier this year on the racetrack. Following its debut in Sebring, Florida, the premium R10 prototype sports car won every long-distance race it entered. These included the Le Mans 24 Hours road race, where the V12 race engine in the R10 squeezed 650 bhp from its 5.5-litre engine capacity, reaching a top speed of 330 km/h. What completely surprised fans and experts alike however, was the sound of the engine: unlike most racing engines, the powerful Audi diesel engine runs whisper-quiet.

What is the mark-up on the diesel option and how much MORE MPG are they getting than the gas version? Diesel cost 40-50 cents more per gallon than regular gas around here, where many BMW's call home. I don't see many people flocking unless the MPG's crush the gassers.

I know with the Superduty's the DPF and regens have killed the MPG on the diesels. I can't get over 12mpg 50/50 city highway in my truck. I wonder if the diesel cars are taking a huge hit also??

The day when diesels where king in terms of efficiency and price are dying. People are getting less mpg, diesel is WAY higher then premium now, diesel maintenance is more expensive the gassers, and the option for the diesel is pretty damn expensive.

It doesnt really pay to own a diesel anymore unless your looking for major low end torque for towing.

The day when diesels where king in terms of efficiency and price are dying. People are getting less mpg, diesel is WAY higher then premium now, diesel maintenance is more expensive the gassers, and the option for the diesel is pretty damn expensive.

It doesnt really pay to own a diesel anymore unless your looking for major low end torque for towing.

Your looking at high 30's in the city and close to the 50's on the hyway in a 5 series sized vehicle.

Fusion size with Prius milage. And diesel pricing varys area to area. Here it is $0.40 to $0.50 a gal cheaper than regular. Diesel Mait is cheaper then gas units on smaller engines No ignition system to service. reapirs are higher but longevity of the engine it's self is 2 to 3 times that of a gasoline.

Diesels have the ability to double the current fuel milage they get and it had been done in practice not just theroy. And by far are the most capable to use Bio Fuels. We have only just begun to see what Diesels are capable of.

Matthew

Where do you live? Everyone I've heard from says diesel is way higher then reg. Here its avg low around 3.60 with a high of 3.85 and Dpfs so far have killed mileage most average <12 in 3/4 tons with 3.73's in city and a max of 16 on highway a few however get higher, older superduties got better.

Your looking at high 30's in the city and close to the 50's on the hyway in a 5 series sized vehicle.

Fusion size with Prius milage. And diesel pricing varys area to area. Here it is $0.40 to $0.50 a gal cheaper than regular. Diesel Mait is cheaper then gas units on smaller engines No ignition system to service. reapirs are higher but longevity of the engine it's self is 2 to 3 times that of a gasoline.

Diesels have the ability to double the current fuel milage they get and it had been done in practice not just theroy. And by far are the most capable to use Bio Fuels. We have only just begun to see what Diesels are capable of.

Matthew

Too much hype and not enough fact. I have seen modern diesels on road and they are still rough and loud at idle and low rpm compared to gasoline engines. And I don't see gas stations adding diesel pumps. And diesel still costs much more than gasoline. Diesel fuel around Metro Detroit often costs .40-.60 more/gallon nullifying the extra fuel mileage. Diesel engines also cost more to manufacture and will cost more to buy. If diesel engines in cars were so great, they would be here by now. Ford has tons of diesel engines for cars in Europe, and does not bring them here. I just don't see Americans lining up to buy diesel cars. Maybe in pickups and big SUV's, but not smaller vehicles and car in general.

Too much hype and not enough fact. I have seen modern diesels on road and they are still rough and loud at idle and low rpm compared to gasoline engines. And I don't see gas stations adding diesel pumps. And diesel still costs much more than gasoline. Diesel fuel around Metro Detroit often costs .40-.60 more/gallon nullifying the extra fuel mileage. Diesel engines also cost more to manufacture and will cost more to buy. If diesel engines in cars were so great, they would be here by now. Ford has tons of diesel engines for cars in Europe, and does not bring them here. I just don't see Americans lining up to buy diesel cars. Maybe in pickups and big SUV's, but not smaller vehicles and car in general.

Modern Auto Diesels have not been offered here because of the shit diesel fuel we had here until ULSD was introduced. And just what modern Auto diesels have you seen ? The new BMW 3.0L ? not likly or the current truck diesels that are completly different animals. In Alberta gasoline is currently 3.78 a gallon. Diesel 3.30 a gallon.

If the anylists are on the mark for Gasoline prices for next summer expect a 50% increase in the current cost of Gasoline. A little high if you ask me 25- 35% is more likly.

You can belive what you want, and we can revisit this next dec when the BMW diesels have a few months in the show rooms and check the sales figures then.

Matthew

After my last trip to Scotland this past September, I was not surprised by how many oil burners are on the road there. That was my 6th trip there and diesels are more popular than ever. They can deliver upwards of 50mpg and they are quick, too. With their fuel prices triple what ours are, it makes sense for them to have them. We are so far behind on many things here, this being a glaring one in transportation.

Edited by 156n3rd

diesel here is like 40 cents more.

if a lot of folks start driving diesels, then big brother/big business will just hike the price up to the point where the money you spend on fuel will be comparable to gas. they always seem to find a way to take it from your pocket. i would never want diesel to be truly mainstream here for that reason. lets hope it gets more popular but does not become so accepted that they really jack the price up just because they can.