Abandoning the Ranger

danup

I nearly derailed a different topic by asking this, so I figured I'd make a new one: a lot of people harangue the Ranger being killed off by mentioning that Ford is abandoning a truck/segment that once sold 400,000+ vehicles. All I want to ask is: are you confused as to why Ford is abandoning the station wagon market, or the personal luxury coupe market, or the minivan market? Ford once sold huge volumes of cars in each segment.

I nearly derailed a different topic by asking this, so I figured I'd make a new one: a lot of people harangue the Ranger being killed off by mentioning that Ford is abandoning a truck/segment that once sold 400,000+ vehicles. All I want to ask is: are you confused as to why Ford is abandoning the station wagon market, or the personal luxury coupe market, or the minivan market? Ford once sold huge volumes of cars in each segment.

Not at all. The way I see it, sales are not what ultimately matters. Sustained profitability is the real objective.

I agree, but I would hope that Ford could make a profit at pretty much ANY pricepoint on the current Ranger considering the initial investment has probably been paid off for probably a decade already. I have a hard time believing there wasn't a profit at 400K, but there is at the current 150K (where are we at again?

Ford abandoned the small truck market years ago by letting the Ranger get stale. That being said, Rangers are still A LOT more money than the Canyon and Colorado, for good reason. I still think that Ford builds the best small truck. There is no contest from the GM twins (more like inbred twins they are so bad), and the Dakota is in a different league.

I would buy a brand new Ranger tomorrow if Ford offered it with a 3.0 diesel with ~220HP and ~375 Torque. I think that is all Ford needs to do to get back in the game. Offer a small efficient diesel. Stiffen up the chassis a bit, refresh the interior, and DO NOT MAKE IT BIGGER, oh yeah...advertise it too. Then, swim in the bucket loads of cash it would bring in.

What I'm saying is that Ford may have abandoned the market early, but that doesn't mean it isn't almost dead now. The volume has moved on, and when for a cheap market segment in particular that's the sign to get out and get out as soon as possible.

What I'm saying is that Ford may have abandoned the market early, but that doesn't mean it isn't almost dead now. The volume has moved on, and when for a cheap market segment in particular that's the sign to get out and get out as soon as possible.

I could be wrong on this, but I was under the impression that we will get a new global Ranger w/in a few years....does anybody (Igor, etc.) know if this is true?

I could be wrong on this, but I was under the impression that we will get a new global Ranger w/in a few years....does anybody (Igor, etc.) know if this is true?

I think that its a subject that nobody knows much about. Many different romous.

Edited by suv_guy_19

Well, I think that once Ford gets to being sustainable, then they have to start increasing sales.

I am betting that we will not see double digit sales decline of vehicles once Jim Farley gets his marketing department up and running. The key is to create memorable ads...and right now, I don't think Ford has any. The Mike Rowe ads have stopped, there are no cleaver SD ads out there (A great ad for the SD is one where there is a HUGE snowplow that went into the ditch and a guy driving a SD comes upon the scene, clears a path with the plow on his truck and then pulls the HUGE plow out of the ditch, then leads the way down the road followed by the big plow). I wouldn't forget it.

many different way to spell in dyslexic Canadian :P. I'm not actually dyslexic, just my fingers.

You know...I have heard that using a Canadian keyboard on an American forum can lead to trouble.

You may want to hop down to your local electronics store tomorrow and pick up an American keyboard. Don't be fooled by the imitations, the only way you can tell if it is American is to take it out of the box, turn the keyboard over and make ABSOLUTE sure that it says "Made in China" on the back. If it says that...it is 100% American.

You know...I have heard that using a Canadian keyboard on an American forum can lead to trouble.

You may want to hop down to your local electronics store tomorrow and pick up an American keyboard. Don't be fooled by the imitations, the only way you can tell if it is American is to take it out of the box, turn the keyboard over and make ABSOLUTE sure that it says "Made in China" on the back. If it says that...it is 100% American.

Haha!! Then if you have problems with it, you can call 100% American customer service in India.

Actually my MacBook was designed in California and is built in China :gang: oh wait, the mob is here, I'll try to intimidate them... :flexing: ...It doesn't seem to be working....I had better make a break for it...:burnout:

I'm actually just installing the Canadian dictionary for firefox on top of the US one so I don't make another stupid mistake..well not as many anyway.