Hyundai Genesis

LincolnFan

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A $42,000 Genesis is going collect cobwebs as the SALE SALE SALE red sticker events go on around it.

What would a 60K FWD Lincoln with Twin hairdryers V6 collect on the lot? I bet the Mr. and Mrs. Spyder will have great great great great great grand children on it.

As a matter of fact, I ask everyone of you, what the hell does the Lincoln have on the Genesis? Nothing, the Genesis will come with very high-tech such as ACC, a great sound stereo system that can give the THX a run for it's money, a Navigation unit that will be much cheaper than Ford's extremely expensive unit.

There's nothing that the MKS will have on the Genesis.

Whoever mentioned the MKS isn't a spruced up Taurus, we would know whether Ford told us or not, Ford has only one FWD platform that can extend to 204" inches, the D3. Wish if the similarities stopped at that...

What would a 60K FWD Lincoln with Twin hairdryers V6 collect on the lot? I bet the Mr. and Mrs. Spyder will have great great great great great grand children on it.

As a matter of fact, I ask everyone of you, what the hell does the Lincoln have on the Genesis? Nothing, the Genesis will come with very high-tech such as ACC, a great sound stereo system that can give the THX a run for it's money, a Navigation unit that will be much cheaper than Ford's extremely expensive unit.

Whoever mentioned the MKS isn't a spruced up Taurus, we would know whether Ford told us or not, Ford has only one FWD platform that can extend to 204" inches, the D3. Wish if the similarities stopped at that...

You still haven't provided ANYTHING in the way of facts that the MKS is a spruced up Taurus (other than it riding on a modified platform).

AFAIK, the Genesis will not come with AWD.

I have no clue about Hyundai's NAV interface as we are just now getting it stateside. Even then I wonder if it will come equipped with real-time traffice and the ability to spout off gas prices at the nearby gas stations. So in a way you get what you pay for

SYNC? Nope

Can't comment on the sound system cause you haven't heard it.

All that other crap like ACC, Keyless Go, etc will be available on the MKS as well.

You still haven't provided ANYTHING in the way of facts that the MKS is a spruced up Taurus (other than it riding on a modified platform).

Blue II, other inside reports? We haven't seen the car, there's no freaking way for me to tell. However, other kinds of evidence say that it's based on the D3.

AFAIK, the Genesis will not come with AWD.

AWD isn't that necessary when the car is RWD.

I have no clue about Hyundai's NAV interface as we are just now getting it stateside. Even then I wonder if it will come equipped with real-time traffice and the ability to spout off gas prices at the nearby gas stations. So in a way you get what you pay for

This is weird, I could have sworn I have seen Hyundais here with Navis from Hyundai...

SYNC? Nope

The exclusivity contract ends in 09. It doesn't matter, third-party companies will probably pick up the software and make plug-in units.

Can't comment on the sound system cause you haven't heard it.

Point is kind of moot, but the Sonata's sound system beats the crap out of my C1 "Superior" sound system.

All that other crap like ACC, Keyless Go, etc will be available on the MKS as well.

The Genesis will have all of the high-tech crap for a much lower price. That's the point.

1) It has a good interior for it's price (which will probably undercut the MKS).

2) It has a V8 engine with 375HP and 6-speed (which will probably cost much less than the TF).

3) It has RWD (no comment on the MKS here).

4) If this thing can handle corners well and maintain a cheap price, it will be a big hit.

5) Not Great?! name any NA V8 that can put more than that in it's class, it beats the living hell out of everything, and for fun and more flames in this topic, it will mop the floor with the 09 Mustank.

1) The interior looks like faux wood nightmare! What's with the "Bantu plate lip" for the Nav? And they managed to integrate BMW's awful I-drive....I hope it works better.

2) Commendable. But Hyundai seems to inflate their HP figures in the past.

3) Not everyone wants RWD (although I prefer it in SoCal....if I was back in Minn. I'd probably want FWD)

4) We'll see. The BMW 5 series was the handling bogey. With the Azera the Avalon was the target, they seemed close, equally mushy. $40K+ isn't cheap no matter what the stats are.

5) Since you're looking for flames (actually your comment is the flame) the current Mustang GT is already faster with only 300 HP. (less than 6 seconds for the Genesis vs 5 seconds for the Mustang GT).

If they put the V8 in the Genesis Coupe, they may have a contender....but it's still weird looking, especially the odd rear quarter windows. AND the Mustang will have a upgrade by then.

The styling is so derivitive: Mercedes in front (but worse), Infiniti G profile (but worse) , BMW rear (better, but I hate the bangle-butt/current BMWs).

IMHO opinion a major step forward for Hyundai. They should call it (Genesis) a new car line. But it's still a Zerconia.

Blue II, other inside reports? We haven't seen the car, there's no freaking way for me to tell. However, other kinds of evidence say that it's based on the D3.

AWD isn't that necessary when the car is RWD.

This is weird, I could have sworn I have seen Hyundais here with Navis from Hyundai...

The exclusivity contract ends in 09. It doesn't matter, third-party companies will probably pick up the software and make plug-in units.

Point is kind of moot, but the Sonata's sound system beats the crap out of my C1 "Superior" sound system.

The Genesis will have all of the high-tech crap for a much lower price. That's the point.

If you haven't seen the car or you have no way to tell, then why comment? It seems awfully absurd to base an opinion off of something you have no first hand knowledge of.

Well I guess BMW, MB, Audi, Lexus and Infiniti all have their heads stuck up their asses by offering AWD on their entry and mid level luxury offerings? Try again.

We DON'T get Hyundais or Kias stateside with NAV

Your C1 superior sound system is not a THX sound system which you commented on. Again unless it is coming from a automaker with a history of great audio systems (Lexus comes to mind) I don't want to hear it.

What is the Genesis priced at? Do you have data for that? I don't care if it does come in at 40K.

Your arguments of nothing but heresay and silly assumptions?

The MKS is loosely based on the Taurus at best. This is firsthand information from Lincoln engineers. When they tried to put the Twin Force in the initial MKS prototypes, it shredded the chassis. While the D3 platform was competitive in 1998 for luxury sedans, it simply isn't today. This is why the MKS took so long to develop... they had to redesign the platform from the ground up to be competitive against other luxury sedans, as well as to drive nicely with 380hp under the hood. Anyone who's ever driven an old-time muscle car with a big block under the hood can attest that you need a seriously fine-tuned chassis to handle big power like that safely.

AWD is a HUGE asset of the MKS that the Genesis will not deliver. Here in the Northeast, AWD is 100% required for luxury cars. For every ten luxury sedans I see, nine are AWD. BMW 7-Series sales have badly suffered here due to their lack of an X version... and the same with the big Lexus. Lincoln's entire product strategy is based around AWD. DEW98 was not dropped due to variable manufacturing cost... it was dropped because they couldn't engineer it to accept AWD. Same reason why the Town Car stopped development... they couldn't re-engineer the Panther to accept AWD.

Lincoln is already selling $60,000 Navigators, so a $60,000 MKS isn't going to shock anyone. Explain to me this... why would a Twin Force MKS command a $12,000 premium over a fully loaded AWD MKS? I'd say the Twin Force will cost $54,000 fully loaded, tops.

Lincoln quality? MKZ beat the ES350 in quality AND reliability in the last round of surveys... they must be doing SOMETHING right..

The MKS is loosely based on the Taurus at best. This is firsthand information from Lincoln engineers. When they tried to put the Twin Force in the initial MKS prototypes, it shredded the chassis. While the D3 platform was competitive in 1998 for luxury sedans, it simply isn't today. This is why the MKS took so long to develop... they had to redesign the platform from the ground up to be competitive against other luxury sedans, as well as to drive nicely with 380hp under the hood. Anyone who's ever driven an old-time muscle car with a big block under the hood can attest that you need a seriously fine-tuned chassis to handle big power like that safely.

AWD is a HUGE asset of the MKS that the Genesis will not deliver. Here in the Northeast, AWD is 100% required for luxury cars. For every ten luxury sedans I see, nine are AWD. BMW 7-Series sales have badly suffered here due to their lack of an X version... and the same with the big Lexus. Lincoln's entire product strategy is based around AWD. DEW98 was not dropped due to variable manufacturing cost... it was dropped because they couldn't engineer it to accept AWD. Same reason why the Town Car stopped development... they couldn't re-engineer the Panther to accept AWD.

Lincoln is already selling $60,000 Navigators, so a $60,000 MKS isn't going to shock anyone. Explain to me this... why would a Twin Force MKS command a $12,000 premium over a fully loaded AWD MKS? I'd say the Twin Force will cost $54,000 fully loaded, tops.

Lincoln quality? MKZ beat the ES350 in quality AND reliability in the last round of surveys... they must be doing SOMETHING right..

What I really want to know (assuming the cost of the genesis is true), what was sacrificed for that kind of sticker price at Hyundai?

Most people with front wheel drive do not end up in the ditch. People end up there because the touch the brakes and then will themselves there.

That and "lift-off oversteer". Thats how one of my buddies ended up in a snow bank. :hysterical:

BTW...that is a proper bird in your sig...I love loons.

Edited by P71_CrownVic

Why, so you can end up in the ditch?

Are people on this site becoming argumentative and bi^chy for no good reason? Or just playing dumb?

With traction control, RWD isn't too bad these days..... But back in the 70s I lived in Minneapolis and I had a 71 Demon 340 RWD (duh). Strip gears didn't help. No traction at all. I would slide around corners, maybe slide through them. I had to park it. A friend had a 73 Toronado FWD, we drove from Fargo back to Mpls. No problem blasting through freeway snow drifts or around town in snow.

FWD is inherently better than RWD in snow. Lack of traction in RWD has been negated considerably by TC. But you'll still see more RWD cars sold in the south and more FWD cars sold in the north.

http://forums.caranddriver.com/auto/board/...p;query.id=1191

Yes, but how can it be that price if it has all the features that have been said and all that power. It has to be missing something.

Kinda makes you wonder why all the other guys charge so much........... :shades:

Artificial markup to enhance perceived status? Do these cars REALLY need to cost $40-$50-$60k? Or are they priced as such to give the buyer that perceived status of buying an "expensive" car?

Does a Town Car really cost almost $20K more to build then a Grand Marquis? Think on that one.

Kinda makes you wonder why all the other guys charge so much........... :shades:

Artificial markup to enhance perceived status? Do these cars REALLY need to cost $40-$50-$60k? Or are they priced as such to give the buyer that perceived status of buying an "expensive" car?

Does a Town Car really cost almost $20K more to build then a Grand Marquis? Think on that one.

What I'm getting at is the fact that with all the features, the MKS is already priced substantially lower than the competition. How can a car with more power and supposedly almost as many features undercut it by even more?

I think we ALL know the answers to those questions. At some point, a luxury buyer has had to realize (or not) that a good chunk of the price of the car is for the badge on the front. ($50K BMW 535i, and you have to pay for leather, side airbags, split-folding rear seats AND an iPod jack? Sheesh.) With the Linc and 'dai, that's not the case.

What I'm getting at is the fact that with all the features, the MKS is already priced substantially lower than the competition. How can a car with more power and supposedly almost as many features undercut it by even more?
Haven't the foggiest. Don't need to. All I know is, this is what happens value is the major redeeming feature of your car. Now someone has come and (possibly) one-upped the Lincoln. So if someone decides, "I want a luxury sedan that's good value, and I don't care about the badge", they would have no reason to pick the Lincoln. Heck, even if a regular car buyer wanted one, there's no reason. No badge. Not rear-drive. It's down on power to start. It's already getting blasted by critics as "not enough". I have to say it doesn't look great. Edited by CarShark