2009 F150 is being revealed to media today

igor

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is one place where even the current CAFE std comes into play you can't get the 4.00+ rear ends anymore because they play to much with Ford's CAFE numbers. The Tundra can be had with both 4.10 and 4.30 rear ends, but they sell more car trucks so that helps with their CAFE numbers.

4.10s are available on the F150 with the HD payload package.

Geezus...even at 15 mpg that would still be over $500 a month (120/15x$3x4.3). Why would someone want to drive a vehicle like that everyday? Seems he would have been better off parking the Ex and buying a commuter car.

Construction...needed the truck for materials...at the $850 a month he would have re-couped the step up to the Powerstroke within a year....

Construction...needed the truck for materials...at the $850 a month he would have re-couped the step up to the Powerstroke within a year....

Agreed...I love my V-10 and it's perfect for me. If I used my truck everyday (such as your friend), I'd be telling you how perfect the diesel was for me :shades:

Yes, sure, but then you run into emissions and other problems. Its not just to bring it over and drop it in. Really, the engine is not the problem, but rather the transmission.

This is one of the biggest myths out there, the tranny is NOT the problem, older trucks got by just fine with 3 and 4 speed auto's, the problem comes back to a basic one, power to weight ratio. You just can't expect a truck that puts 220 horsepower to the wheels (numbers I've read that the 3V 5.4 makes on the dyno) and weighs 3 tons to be able to move very quickly or efficiently. This is basic stuff here, no need to blame the tranny.

The 4V 5.4L probably should have been used by Ford long ago, but wouldn't make 380-400 horsepower like in the Cobra R or the Falcons since it would need a lower compression ratio to run regular gas. Which is why Ford is working on a superior replacement for the mods, slowly but surely..

Edited by Blueblood

This is one of the biggest myths out there, the tranny is NOT the problem, older trucks got by just fine with 3 and 4 speed auto's, the problem comes back to a basic one, power to weight ratio. You just can't expect a truck that puts 220 horsepower to the wheels (numbers I've read that the 3V 5.4 makes on the dyno) and weighs 3 tons to be able to move very quickly or efficiently. This is basic stuff here, no need to blame the tranny.

I suppose you know more than Deanh then who has said a great deal about the transmissions waking up the Expedition. You know, 9 seconds 0 - 60 right now is nothing to scoff at, and that will increase a small amount with the new transmissions and the slight power increase. The transmissions are a big part of the problem. They rob power instead of put it to the ground.

I suppose you know more than Deanh then who has said a great deal about the transmissions waking up the Expedition. You know, 9 seconds 0 - 60 right now is nothing to scoff at, and that will increase a small amount with the new transmissions and the slight power increase. The transmissions are a big part of the problem. They rob power instead of put it to the ground.

OMG!! I forgot, since he works at a Ford dealer he is God!

I know plenty about the 6 speed tranny in the Expy, of course it helps that pig engine get the vehicle rolling, what you have to realize is that the 5.4 is so weak in the F-150/Expy, that ANY improvement is going to seem huge. Another thing to consider is that when Ford's re-designs the pick-ups they usually gain weight, the new F-150 looks huge from the spy pics, so whatever help the 6 speed gives would be off-set by the weight gain.

I guess you've never been in an F-150 in the mountains, thing is downright dangerous, barely had the power to accelerate going uphill, I can't even imagine what would have happened if we had a load to carry!

I guess you've never been in an F-150 in the mountains, thing is downright dangerous, barely had the power to accelerate going uphill, I can't even imagine what would have happened if we had a load to carry!

It does does it..... Strange....When I went through mountains in 4 states and over the beartooth pass it never seemed to have a problem. On the steep grade roads I could keep 65 mph without an issue. The F150 has no problem with mountains. The 6 speed will only help that. I don't think that you have the experience that you are speaking of. I traveled over 6000 miles with the truck this summer, half of that was on mountainous terrain. Like I said, there isn't a problem. There is certainly nothing dangerous about it.

What have we gotten to when we consider 8.5 - 9 seconds 0 - 60 in a truck to be slow? Thats what the F150 does, and the Expedition with the 6 speed does a little better yet. 300 Hp is not weak no matter what you say. It's getting a bit out of hand when we become concerned with a trucks quarter mile numbers. I know your a gearhead, so maybe you should keep your criticism out of the realm of trucks.

I know plenty about the 6 speed tranny in the Expy, of course it helps that pig engine get the vehicle rolling, what you have to realize is that the 5.4 is so weak in the F-150/Expy, that ANY improvement is going to seem huge. Another thing to consider is that when Ford's re-designs the pick-ups they usually gain weight, the new F-150 looks huge from the spy pics, so whatever help the 6 speed gives would be off-set by the weight gain.

thankyou my son.....and i have owned an F-150...5.4 4x4...best truck i ever owned..and it ran like a scalded cat...in a place called mammoth if I remember...I beleive that could be catergorized as mountainous...your call....and , it was also with the lowly 4 speed tranny....AND coming back averaging 75-85 MPH got 16mpg's....and...and....and....GREAT truck...the six speed will only help...I take confession @ 9, and will be signing people up for anger managaement classes after that...I will pencil you in.

The 4V 5.4L probably should have been used by Ford long ago, but wouldn't make 380-400 horsepower like in the Cobra R or the Falcons since it would need a lower compression ratio to run regular gas. Which is why Ford is working on a superior replacement for the mods, slowly but surely..

perhaps....but there is a reason one can sit on an F-150's tailgate in confidence..... :hysterical: will be interesting...current shipping weight of an F-150 Supercrew with 502a package ( not a lot of bells and whistles ) is 4840 lbs.....if they do keep it in check I hope it doesn't copromise durability....

Edited by Deanh

Come on dude, be for real. Barely enough power? Thank you for another meaningless contribution. Look at my vehicles. Stop trying to BS everyone. I have owned 1 from each of the last 3 generations. The new truck is not fast, but you are no where near close to being accurate. All 3 trucks have traveled many times from NJ to WV. A lot of times I look over at peoples instrument clusters as I'm passing them going uphill. I'm in OD at 2100rpms going 75 to their 3500 @70 in whatever lower gear they are...and no I aint talkin about Hondas that turn 3500 in their OD either.

Edited by atomaro

What size trailer and load were you towing?

4 people, full truck box of luggage and other things, not all that much. It was a 5.4 and I had no trouble whatsoever. I saw many of the same trucks pulling trailers and they were having no problem. Over the entire trip we averaged between 17 - 18 mpg. It has more than enough power to pull itself and a load up a hill.

4 people, full truck box of luggage and other things, not all that much. It was a 5.4 and I had no trouble whatsoever. I saw many of the same trucks pulling trailers and they were having no problem. Over the entire trip we averaged between 17 - 18 mpg. It has more than enough power to pull itself and a load up a hill.

we will probably find out he never owned one.....he was probably just stirring the pot

we will probably find out he never owned one.....he was probably just stirring the pot

I just want to add that my family of five also went through many mountains with our 99 F150 4.6. Though it did not do it as easy as the 2005 5.4, it still did OK and we never had to slow down below the speed limit. As long as you don't have too much weight with the 4.6 you will be fine, and the 5.4 can do the job with a great deal of weight behind it. Ford builds capable trucks.

Edited by suv_guy_19

Towing 10K with a F-150 with a 5.4 is a joke and everone knows it. If you have a car trailer or boat or horses you will need a F-250/6.8 with the 5 spd. auto or 6 spd manual.

I still own an antique F-350 SC/Dually with a 7.5 gas engine. It will tow 10K up a mountain without downshifting. Why this engine was replaced with a weak sister Mod is just plain stupidity. There was even an 8.3 ready in the wings, but the Mafia wacked it. As everyone can tell I have a special interest in this one. I will buy a 6.2 if it will out perform my antique 460.

I have owned 3 F-150's. An '87, '99, and '01. I have also driven my dad's '07 considerably . What I don't understand is how you can even enter this discussion since all you drive are Mini's. Last I checked, they didn't make pickups. :shades:

Towing 10K with a F-150 with a 5.4 is a joke and everone knows it. If you have a car trailer or boat or horses you will need a F-250/6.8 with the 5 spd. auto or 6 spd manual.

I still own an antique F-350 SC/Dually with a 7.5 gas engine. It will tow 10K up a mountain without downshifting. Why this engine was replaced with a weak sister Mod is just plain stupidity. There was even an 8.3 ready in the wings, but the Mafia wacked it. As everyone can tell I have a special interest in this one. I will buy a 6.2 if it will out perform my antique 460.

Blue...sorry mate, but if someone tows more than 8k and has half a brain they will KNOW they need to step up to a Superduty with a V10 or diesel...thats just common sense...you obviously have it ....some obviously don't and bitch about it.....once again ACCOUNTABILITY....an man am i excited about the 6.2....oh, and the 7.5 was replaced by the V10 no?...probably due to emissions etc

Edited by Deanh