Business Week Loves 2009 F-150

FordBuyer

hurray...SOMEONE finally gets it....6 speed auto with the 5.4 AS IS works GREAT with the Expedition, now bump 25-30hp for the F-150 and I think all the bububububu'ers here will need to re-calibrate their negativity, and stop being brainwashed by bragging rights specs lauded by rag writers....towing, braking with trailers, durability, DEPENDABILITY are all WAY more important than 0-60...or should I say 0-gas pump.

Put a 1.6 in it then... :finger::finger:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gripers here are WAYYYY too wrapped up in what is actually NOT that important, they have been BRAINWASHED by Auo Mags into the dark side of un-important specs like 0-60...numbers are great but it is EVERYDAY usage capabilities that are more relevent ( and frmes that can handle abuse )...I wonder what would happen in these threads if ford came out with a "hyper" spec truck with a noodle frame, aluminum can tailgates, oscillating drivetrains, belly dancing beds, un-cooked spagetti snapping camshafts, HP boosting premium fuel requiring engine etc etc....but hey...it WOULD win Truck of the Year....

Better hope those rags don't brainwash the masses, otherwise you won't be selling many trucks, and then you'll be crying for competitive power..

I'm gonna laugh when the 6.2 gets better FE than the 5.4

Maybe you've just never driven anything faster to compare it to..

great....but quit bitching about a drivetrain you are yet to experience with 25 more horse, is getting more torque, a 6 speed trannie, in a truck that weighs less, and is BULLETPROOF ( can toyota keep a straight face )...i too am looking forward to the 6.2, but right now the 5.4 is as good as ANYTHING for the purpose it is designed for......

Better hope those rags don't brainwash the masses, otherwise you won't be selling many trucks, and then you'll be crying for competitive power..

not a problem when THIS current 2008 F-150 is pretty competitive to the newer competition and the 09 leapfrogs IT........

The 6.2 with all the goodies will inevitably get better mileage than the 5.4. However, the 5.4 is perfectly good for the moment, so when the 6.2 does come out, it's READY for prime-time, and doesn't snap cams.

The 6.2 is basically the replacement for the V10, as I understand it, so it should be a nice addition for the Super Duty as well as the F-150.

and speed is what its ALL about to you obviously...question...which is faster AT 65 mph, a 6.2, a 5.4, a 4.6 or a 4.2........10 seconds for the answer.....

apologies Blue, don't mean come off as raining on your parade...i just get a little perturbed at peoples propensity to hold up un-important published specs that DON"T reflect in day to day priorities....like 10 more HP or so, (usable torque is WAY more important )skidpads ( stability towing atrailer in crosswinds...WAYYY more important ), acceleration ( I see trucks at the dragstrip all the time...and INSTANT acceleration instead of gradual may explain all the torn out missing tow hitches )....those are for vehicles like "lightnings" not workhorses.....

apologies Blue, don't mean come off as raining on your parade...i just get a little perturbed at peoples propensity to hold up un-important published specs that DON"T reflect in day to day priorities....like 10 more HP or so, (usable torque is WAY more important )skidpads ( stability towing atrailer in crosswinds...WAYYY more important ), acceleration ( I see trucks at the dragstrip all the time...and INSTANT acceleration instead of gradual may explain all the torn out missing tow hitches )....those are for vehicles like "lightnings" not workhorses.....

I do not think the engine will hurt the truck all that much, but there are a lot of people who will pass it by on this reason alone. The people that buy trucks tend to like power. In their minds more = better. Having less hp than your competition is NOT going to help sales. It may only be a stupid numbers game, but it is also reality. I do not understand why Ford does not at least try to play the game...

The 5.4L 2V was a "good enough" (Ford's favoriate phrase) engine for the truck even with the old 4 speed. I did a little mild work to mine and it made 265hp at the rear wheels ( a little over 300hp at the crank ). The 3 valve is even better.

I just wish the new truck was simply not so ugly and tacky looking...

Edited by sranger

I do not think the engine will hurt the truck all that much, but there are a lot of people who will pass it by on this reason alone. The people that buy trucks tend to like power. In their minds more = better. Having less hp than your competition is NOT going to help sales. It may only be a stupid numbers game, but it is also reality. I do not understand why Ford does not at least try to play the game...

The 5.4L 2V was a "good enough" (Ford's favoriate phrase) engine for the truck even with the old 4 speed. I did a little mild work to mine and it made 265hp at the rear wheels ( a little over 300hp at the crank ). The 3 valve is even better.

I just wish the new truck was simply not so ugly and tacky looking...

I usually just ask a simple qestion...what is more necessary...Horsepower or capability? I am lookin forward to the upgraded 5.4, an engine ( and especially with the 6 speed, as it did WONDERS for the Expedition ) I myself would be quite happy with....personally i wiould only find the 6.2 beneficial if its mileage is better, 325 hp is perfect, and how much does one REALLY need, bragging rights are all fine and dandy, and in no doubt do sway an odd buyer or few, BUT a majority will be COMPLETELY satisfied with the new upgrade...what will be funny is if Fords "measly 325 runs neck and neck with the competitors higher "quoted" HP models....325 is PLENTY of power, AND it wasn't that far behind the braggards in its OLD guise....as for styling...I'm not too thrilled either, but I'm hoping in the flesh it will be more appealing........

You need to look no further than my sig genius. 88 F-150, 99 F-150, 06-F150...sorry I forgot to add the 94 F-150 that wears a plow year round. I think I have enough knowledge on these vehicles to make some fairly accurate statements. My 99 is faster than the 06. And my Stang will roast 90% of everything on this forum in a 1/4 mile contest.( actually that needs updated too...it now runs a big block) I know what fast cars are. And maybe working at a garage for 21 years helps too. I've made the comparison between the 99 and 06 in other posts regarding the F-150 before so I won't go into it again.

Why would you laugh when the new engine gets better fuel economy? Its called progress. Here is a history lesson.

88 F-150 13mpg 4x4 302 3.55 gears

94 F-150 13mpg 4x4 302 3.55 gears

99 F-150 14 mpg 4x4 Off Road 3.73 gears

06 F-150 14.7 mpg 4x4 extended cab lariat 3.55 gears

Its called progress. The 99 has hit 17.5mpg on extended trips to West Virginia, the 06 has hit 18mpg on the same trip.

The 5.4 2v was a beast compared to the offerings of the day (5.9 Dodge, 4. whatever toyota, and the 5.3 Chevy)

Edited by atomaro

The question, why does Ford see a need to sell a 60K truck? Do people not realize that it is a Ford? If it had a three-pointed star on the front I could see it...but a F-150???

do Benz's come camper certified?....yep 60 k is a boatload....however all the manufacturers seem to keep within a hair of each other....

and speed is what its ALL about to you obviously...question...which is faster AT 65 mph, a 6.2, a 5.4, a 4.6 or a 4.2........10 seconds for the answer.....

Omg. I drive a 4.2L. Its horrible. It has alot less power than the v8s and still gets the same mileage. I wouldnt be surprised if it sometimes gets worse. It just isnt worth getting a truck with that engine. Especially since it hydrolocked and i had to pay $4500 for a new engine. Apparently its a widespread problem.

Edited by ray101988

I usually just ask a simple qestion...what is more necessary...Horsepower or capability? I am lookin forward to the upgraded 5.4, an engine ( and especially with the 6 speed, as it did WONDERS for the Expedition ) I myself would be quite happy with....personally i wiould only find the 6.2 beneficial if its mileage is better, 325 hp is perfect, and how much does one REALLY need, bragging rights are all fine and dandy, and in no doubt do sway an odd buyer or few, BUT a majority will be COMPLETELY satisfied with the new upgrade...what will be funny is if Fords "measly 325 runs neck and neck with the competitors higher "quoted" HP models....325 is PLENTY of power, AND it wasn't that far behind the braggards in its OLD guise....as for styling...I'm not too thrilled either, but I'm hoping in the flesh it will be more appealing........

Yeah, but it thought it didnt even have 300 horse power at the wheel?

hey..doofus...guess wht the biggest seller is....the 4.6.....case closed..........

Nope, I've gotta stop you there.

Acording to Ford the stats are:

XL V6 mt =15% V6 at=25% 4.6L=20% 5.4L=40%

STX V6 mt=10% V6 at=25% 4.6L=65% 5.4L=not available

XLT V6 mt=1% V6 at=2% 4.6L=30% 5.4L=67%

ALL FX4 and Lariat/Harley/King Ranch have the 5.4L

These stats are from the recomended mix for the 2006 model year F-150 order guide (the XLT V6 manual trans appears to be a very rare truck)

Edited by F250

Will people really pay $60,000 for a pickup truck?

There's no way, the most loaded harley AWD with nav and every option is 48K, it will probably be somewhere around there. Most likely Ford will continue the trend of lowering MSRPs like the Expedition(dropped 4-5K for 07) and all other Fords and reduce the number of rebates to cap residuals, so it may be even less. Its hard to break $50k with an expedition EL with more options then ever , 2 years ago just about any standard eddie bauer would break 50k with a nav unit. Hell you can get an AWD EL Expy for under 40k list.

Edited by kevinb120

These stats are from the recomended mix for the 2006 model year F-150 order guide (the XLT V6 manual trans appears to be a very rare truck)

We never had a manual V6 in stock, and we keep about 80 supercrew F150s at full inventory alone. With us about 80%+ are 5.4, as Ford offers the 'tow and go' discount when 5.4 is ordered with towing package on XLT, its free of charge. On a retail lot typically only the STX and XL 2WD's get the 4.6, with a couple 'loss leader' stripper XLT's for the ad cars.

Edited by kevinb120

talking hands on not projected mixes.........4.6 outesells the 5.4 at least here. 2 to 1

In this area(2nd largest auto market in the country), 4.6L XLT's are a rarity except on 2wd's, which are even more rare. Out of 150+ F150s in stock, the 2wd XLT there's about 3 of them. In the non XL models, here we sell at least 60% FX4 or Larait in the first place.

4x2 here, weather I guess, supercrews with the 4.6 are very popular, and if talking worktrucks its pretty easy getting someone to jump up from the 4.2 to 4.6...MUCH better engine....

talking hands on not projected mixes.........4.6 outesells the 5.4 at least here. 2 to 1

Then post your proof.

I am talking national sales not what sells in one corner of Rooster Poot Idaho.

Every FX4, Lariat, Harley, and King Ranch come standard with the 5.4L along with at least 60% of the XLTs and 40% of the XLs.

Post some national stats from a reliable source.

The 5.4L is the most popular engine in the F-150.

Then post your proof.

I am talking national sales not what sells in one corner of Rooster Poot Idaho.

Every FX4, Lariat, Harley, and King Ranch come standard with the 5.4L along with at least 60% of the XLTs and 40% of the XLs.

Post some national stats from a reliable source.

The 5.4L is the most popular engine in the F-150.

yet another in attack mode...re-read my post...I'm talking HANDS ON FROM MY NECK OF THE WOODS...sheesh....some here sure need lasik.....and So Cal isn't BF Egypt....national I have no doubt the 5.4 sells more....and I would say more due to the Tow and Go national discount more than anything else, and 4x4's only being avail with the 5.4, AND Lariats it is ALSo the only engine avail....with the XL's OUR biggest seller was the 4.2....

Edited by Deanh

yet another in attack mode...re-read my post...I'm talking HANDS ON FROM MY NECK OF THE WOODS...sheesh....some here sure need lasik.....and So Cal isn't BF Egypt....national I have no doubt the 5.4 sells more....and I would say more due to the Tow and Go national discount more than anything else, and 4x4's only being avail with the 5.4, AND Lariats it is ALSo the only engine avail....with the XL's OUR biggest seller was the 4.2....

I re-read your post:

hey..doofus...guess wht the biggest seller is....the 4.6.....case closed..........

You called someone a "doofus" (your attack)

The 4.6 is not the biggest selling F-150 engine (I provided some proof)

And the case was not closed.