• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a lot of things that I would hold against the Town Car and Panther platform, but not having a tachometer isn't one of them. Realistically, automatics don't really need a tachometer. Heck, there were manual transmission vehicles 10 years ago that didn't have a tach.

No, automatics don't need tachometers, but it's nice to know what the engine's doing. And since when is luxury ever about need? If luxury didn't exist/matter we'd all be driving Carollas.

There are manual transmission-equipped cars from three years ago without tachs. Because of Ford's cost cutting my friend's 2005 5-speed focus doesn't have one.

You really need a tach in an automatic equipped car. Maybe you shouldn't be driving.

Of course, I am the one who retrofitted a Marauder cluster into my CV...after tons of people said it couldn't be done.

If you don't need a tachometer, why did you install one? That's right, they're nice to have. Since luxury is all about features, luxury cars should have them. But it's funny, I don't think there's a Kia sold today without a tach (Ovaltine?). What does that tell you?

Regarding your cluster retrofit, I'm sorry, but I'm fresh out of medals.

I have the tach in my panther, but I'd have been just as happy if it wasn't there.( cant watch it when you drive fast anyway) yeah the brakes are ok, but drilled/slotted rotors help a lot against fade on repeated hard braking. it handles very well, of course mine has 18 inch wheels, and different sway bars. but even with airbags it hugs curves really well. out handles any full-size I have ever had, better than most cars regardless of size. plenty of hills and curves around here, and plenty of places to drive spirited.

but I don't have to prove it to you, your mind is made up, so what? drive what you want, I don't demean your ride, I don't have to drive it. drive a ford, after that who cares?

As tight as the P71 is in corners, a magazine a few years ago tested both the P71 and P74 and the P74 actually had a bit better handling and both are good handlers. As for the comment about the CV can't hang with any Ford sedan in corners...ha! I had a guy in one of the early '90s BMW M3s try to run me from a light leading up to a backwards S-curve. Now, they were never known to be powerhouses, but did make a respectable 240 horsepower and weighed less. I had my sunroof open and he obviously thought he teach me a lesson. Light turned green and I pulled on him about 2 1/2 car lengths to 60 mph. We enter the first curve and he gains zero on me. Quick transition through the last and he still hasn't pulled even with me yet! We straighten out, he blows past at break neck speed and does the typical weave in and out of traffic. I'll just bet he never told any of his friends about how a Crown Vic showed him taillights from a light and through the curves.

Edited by Traveler

typical panther advocate..here come the insults......not gonna stoop to pre teen methods...later.

You're also not going to produce any numbers to back your claim that all other Ford cars outhandle Panthers.

I get it. You don't like the cars. But that doesn't give you the right to make up your own data on them.

Every post you've made in this topic is an insult to anyone who owns a Panther, and for the simple reason that you don't like the cars. How mature is that?

If you don't need a tachometer, why did you install one? That's right, they're nice to have. Since luxury is all about features, luxury cars should have them. But it's funny, I don't think there's a Kia sold today without a tach (Ovaltine?). What does that tell you?

Regarding your cluster retrofit, I'm sorry, but I'm fresh out of medals.

Crown Vics have come with tachs since the 2006 model year.

Most fans wouldnt know that just because an 06 isnt old enough to hit the used car lots in force yet.

j/k. i had to even though i do think the Panthers are nice albeit old tech cars. like my Ranger :D

You don't have to apologize, the Panthers are "old tech" cars. And while I think the Panthers are inappropriate for the retail market (despite the GM murdering the Sable in retail sales), I think they are great cars for fleet use.

Plus, if you do need a cheap car, what would you rather drive? A slightly used Cobalt for 15K or a slightly used Panther for 15K?

You don't have to apologize, the Panthers are "old tech" cars. And while I think the Panthers are inappropriate for the retail market (despite the GM murdering the Sable in retail sales), I think they are great cars for fleet use.

Plus, if you do need a cheap car, what would you rather drive? A slightly used Cobalt for 15K or a slightly used Panther for 15K?

Is there a third option?

As for Sable sales, how do you know that Ford ISN'T making money on them????

I'm assuming they are NOT since I live in the fourth largest city in north America and have NOT seen a new Sable on the road to date...and I think I've seen TWO Montegos since 2005. Plus, just for a "feeler", my last visit to the L/M dealer a few months back, I had a couple sales guys telling me they couldn't GIVE the Sable away but they can't keep TCs and GMQs in stock. In fact the only way they move ANY Sables is if they are out of GMQs and the customer is in a hurry.

But I've seen plenty of 2006+ GMQs running around.

I had a couple sales guys telling me they couldn't GIVE the Sable away but they can't keep TCs and GMQs in stock. In fact the only way they move ANY Sables is if they are out of GMQs and the customer is in a hurry.

And the sales numbers back it up.

Leave it to Ford to take something from VOLVO, of all brands, and manage to screw it up.

Unbelievable.

Plus, just for a "feeler", my last visit to the L/M dealer a few months back, I had a couple sales guys telling me they couldn't GIVE the Sable away but they can't keep TCs and GMQs in stock. In fact the only way they move ANY Sables is if they are out of GMQs and the customer is in a hurry.

Are you joking? I'm going to have raise the BS flag on this one.

The thing that bothers me the most about your post is that you said the only way they can move Sables is if the customer is in a hurry?! GIVE ME A BREAK. Car buyers aren't going to say, "Oh, I think I'll take that one because I'm in a hurry."

What kind of fools buy a car that they don't want just because something else isn't in stock? It isn't like buying a Nacho Cheese Dorito's instead of Frito's. A car puchase is a BIG DEAL to almost everybody, and if it isn't a big deal to that person - they aren't buying a GMQ or a Sable ...

Are you joking? I'm going to have raise the BS flag on this one.

The thing that bothers me the most about your post is that you said the only way they can move Sables is if the customer is in a hurry?! GIVE ME A BREAK. Car buyers aren't going to say, "Oh, I think I'll take that one because I'm in a hurry."

What kind of fools buy a car that they don't want just because something else isn't in stock? It isn't like buying a Nacho Cheese Dorito's instead of Frito's. A car puchase is a BIG DEAL to almost everybody, and if it isn't a big deal to that person - they aren't buying a GMQ or a Sable ...

I had ONE of the sales guys tell me that whole "customer in a hurry" thing about the Sables...so take it for what you will. They all told me they can't give the Sables away while there's GMQs on the lot.

They had quite a few new GMQs in stock they day we were shopping....slim pickens on TCs though, they had one granny package TC in the showroom with a rag top and a couple of more sitting around out front, and this was back around Sept./Oct or so.