No way. But again, thats part of the beauty. You can get a basically new car for HALF of what Ford wants for it. That doesn't make it a bad car...just a HUGE deal.

not a good reputation to have in my opinion....great deal....resale sucks......NOT a car to buy new then....

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not a good reputation to have in my opinion....great deal....resale sucks......NOT a car to buy new then....

I don't think Ford is worried about the Panthers rep. But if the Panthers had a Toyota badge on it, they would have great resale value.

And no, the Panthers are not a car to buy new. Anyone who does is stupid.

I don't think Ford is worried about the Panthers rep. But if the Panthers had a Toyota badge on it, they would have great resale value.

And no, the Panthers are not a car to buy new. Anyone who does is stupid.

resale is a direct decendent of desirability...if no one wantd the cars the resale is down the toilet....good for the used car buyer, lousy for the reputation of the manufacturer....thus certain models get ditched.

I have said it before and I'll say it again:

Retail wise, the Panthers are done...have been for many years.

Fleet wise, they have a lot of life left and the markets prove that.

Everything that makes the Panthers great for fleet use...make them a laughing stock for retail use.

But if I needed a new car NOW, and had 15K to spend. I would much rather a loaded CV than a Cobalt. Wouldn't you?

Wow...I find myself agreeing with you.

And it really, really scares the living crap out of me.....

:hysterical:

resale is a direct decendent of desirability...if no one wantd the cars the resale is down the toilet....good for the used car buyer, lousy for the reputation of the manufacturer....thus certain models get ditched.

If Ford wanted to sell these at retail, they would have invested at least a hundred bucks in updating the platform.

That being said, it is still the best Ford they make - it is sad only in the sense of how the new Fords are just poor copies of a Toyota or a Honda.

Well, a Fusion is a copy of a Mazda, to be accurate.

If Ford wanted to sell these at retail, they would have invested at least a hundred bucks in updating the platform.

That being said, it is still the best Ford they make - it is sad only in the sense of how the new Fords are just poor copies of a Toyota or a Honda.

may just be the fact that the platform reached its limits and was no longer competitive or fiscally viable to invest in bringing it up to acceptable moderninity ( hope thats a word!!!!!!!!! LOL! ) plus we have the RWD IRS platform being developed in unison with Australia...I envisage a truley great platform around the corner.....one good enough to even satisfy the Panther loyalists.....

Thats the biggest issue I have with people on here...the Fusion was based on the works done on the last Gen Mazda 6...but yet Mazda is a controlled subsidiarity of Ford Motor Company.

The Fusion improved upon the Mazda 6 by widening and slightly lengthening it (and other improvements I'm sure) and the next Gen 6 is an improvement of the current CD3 platform...so who is copying who now?

Thats the biggest issue I have with people on here...the Fusion was based on the works done on the last Gen Mazda 6...but yet Mazda is a controlled subsidiarity of Ford Motor Company.

The Fusion improved upon the Mazda 6 by widening and slightly lengthening it (and other improvements I'm sure) and the next Gen 6 is an improvement of the current CD3 platform...so who is copying who now?

Wasn't the Mazda6 developed during Mark Fields tenure at the helm of Mazda? If so, we've now come full circle.

you can get them new for less than $17k you'd be stupid not to consider it, if looking at 6 passenger sedans.

they aren't the end-all car for everybody, but with some effort, the CV didn't need to be demoted to fleet. they still sold better and with more unit profit, than cars considered "successful".

and the platform is new as of 03. only sheet metal and the name stayed the same. why not re-body a successful, profitable 4 yr old platform?

re read some prior postsMr Bi Polar...it WAS a great car...but it has BECOME antiquated, non profitable and HAS been put to pasture....I don't hate the car at all, but unlike SOME I can come to grips with its demise AND I don't IGNORE its shortcomings....if that comes across as insulting, apologies, not meant to be an insult, you however I question sanity......one dis-agreement and out comes the STFU....

The only number I see is your made up 99%.

The Panthers are going away. I'm aware of that. It would cost too much to update them, and they are "damaged goods" in the marketplace.

But that doesn't make them bad cars. By any objective standard of functionality (I'm not talking about style or a flashy dashboard), they are good, except for flat-out acceleration. News flash: They're not performance cars!

Gee, how could I call you insulting when all you're doing is questioning my sanity and making up statistics? I must be crazy.

you can get them new for less than $17k you'd be stupid not to consider it, if looking at 6 passenger sedans.

they aren't the end-all car for everybody, but with some effort, the CV didn't need to be demoted to fleet. they still sold better and with more unit profit, than cars considered "successful".

and the platform is new as of 03. only sheet metal and the name stayed the same. why not re-body a successful, profitable 4 yr old platform?

Bingo.

<thread = derailed>

Probably, I haven't checked. All four of them did pretty well (one benefit of body on frame design, which is why I like trucks so much). The last one they did survived quite well because they really didn't run it into anything. I'm not too impressed with the hosts' engineering backgrounds, though. All through the show as they're setting up the tests, it was one :redcard: after another because their premise was so horrifically flawed. A sandpit (a la runaway truck ramp) would have been far more effective/easier/cheaper than the half-assed concrete mixes they were trying.

Where did I say I hate Ford (uh, I own three of them)? And for the record, I have nothing against the Panther platform. I just enjoy watching you guys wring your hands and gnash your teeth and bitch about everything Ford is building now, all while trying to fight evolution. I could go on and on about how my beloved Ranger line is being run into the ground, but what's the point? Change happens. Get used to it.

Let the :cheerleader: continue!

I just enjoy watching you guys wring your hands and gnash your teeth and bitch about everything Ford is building now, all while trying to fight evolution.

Why?

Anyway, I acknowledged that they're on the way out. It would cost too much to update them for the small size of the market that is interested in them. But they're probably the greatest interstate cruisers ever built.

The only number I see is your made up 99%.

The Panthers are going away. I'm aware of that. It would cost too much to update them, and they are "damaged goods" in the marketplace.

But that doesn't make them bad cars. By any objective standard of functionality (I'm not talking about style or a flashy dashboard), they are good, except for flat-out acceleration. News flash: They're not performance cars!

Gee, how could I call you insulting when all you're doing is questioning my sanity and making up statistics? I must be crazy.

re-read the post...sure its made up but it is reflective of reality,,,the Panthers HAVE been leapfrogged by technology and what people want from their vehicles, otherwise they would still be avail..capice.....twist all you want or continue to live in denial....they are good cars...just get over it for gawds sake.....

the Panthers HAVE been leapfrogged by technology and what people want from their vehicles, otherwise they would still be avail

Well yes and no. I don't see police forces jumping to some D3 turd...so clearly the Panthers have something over the very cars that supposedly "leapfrogged" them.

Agencies are not really going to the Charger/Impala in any noticeable numbers either.

Well yes and no. I don't see police forces jumping to some D3 turd...so clearly the Panthers have something over the very cars that supposedly "leapfrogged" them.

Agencies are not really going to the Charger/Impala in any noticeable numbers either.

its called accesories that are sized and manufactured SPECIFICALLY for the "old timer" , they still aren't up to pace on the Charger ( ie brand specific electronics, spotlights or necessary content like fibreglass rear seats, all keys the same, wiring harness's etc etc ....Ford has it down, they have had the years to do so ) familiarity with drivetrains both their strengths and weakness's, and adherance because of that to embrace change......as a cop car teh CV has competition, but is still WAYYYY ahead...