Edge Hybrid?

Ford-150

since i have been seeing a lot of Edges around lately and there are even more demand for a hybrid vehicle than ever, should the Edge be the next hybrid vehicle after the Fusion/Milan?

or should they focus on making a hybrid for the F-150(Hydraulic Hybrid), Taurus, Focus, Explorer, or Expedition(also i would like a Hydraulic Hybrid)

I think I read that the second generation hybrid system is supposed to be very flexible, so I'd guess we would see it start to spread out across all the platforms, but I'm sure someone else knows better than me.

Hydraulic hybrid systems sound very cool, but I read on here Ford is having trouble keeping cost/weight down on the system? Seems like a much better system than electric.

since i have been seeing a lot of Edges around lately and there are even more demand for a hybrid vehicle than ever, should the Edge be the next hybrid vehicle after the Fusion/Milan?

or should they focus on making a hybrid for the F-150(Hydraulic Hybrid), Taurus, Focus, Explorer, or Expedition(also i would like a Hydraulic Hybrid)

A Hybrid Edge/MKX has already been announced and should be out in about two years or so. I believe they said about one year after Hybrid Fusion is out.

I think I read that the second generation hybrid system is supposed to be very flexible, so I'd guess we would see it start to spread out across all the platforms, but I'm sure someone else knows better than me.

Hydraulic hybrid systems sound very cool, but I read on here Ford is having trouble keeping cost/weight down on the system? Seems like a much better system than electric.

yes cars and small SUVs can keep electric but i don't believe it will be powerful enough to power a full size truck without a lot more refinement

An Edge hybrid sounds like a good idea, I just wonder what kind of system it would use a what engine would it be based on, although I think they need a hybrid car first, something that gets 40+ mpg would do more for their image and CAFE than trying to build a 26mpg Edge. Hybrid Fusion/Focus/pure hybrid car, then, work on a hybrid Edge..

An Edge hybrid sounds like a good idea, I just wonder what kind of system it would use a what engine would it be based on, although I think they need a hybrid car first, something that gets 40+ mpg would do more for their image and CAFE than trying to build a 26mpg Edge. Hybrid Fusion/Focus/pure hybrid car, then, work on a hybrid Edge..

Ford has said MANY times that the new 3.5L V6 was designed specifically to be able to be used in full hybrid applications. In every press release about engine it was brought up as feature. So the Edge/MKX Hybrid will have the present engine and 265hp.

this year Ford is releasing the new Escape/Mariner/Tribute Hybrid, and the Fusion/Milan hybrids - both will use the 2.5l I4 and full hybrid.

The Escape trio will deliver about 35/31 (FWD) and 30/28 (AWD) mpg

The Fusion duo should get about 2 mpg better so let's say 37/33 (FWD) and 32/30 (AWD)

(compare to Camry;s 33/34 (FWD))

Next Year (2009) or the year after, Ford is supposed to begin a rollout of the V6 Hybrid - 3.5l Cyclone V6 mated to a full hybrid system. This system was assumed dead for a while, but then some reports claimed it was resurrected. Ford has never commented on it. This system would make it to the Taurus, Edge, and Flex.

Igor

this year Ford is releasing the new Escape/Mariner/Tribute Hybrid, and the Fusion/Milan hybrids - both will use the 2.5l I4 and full hybrid.

The Escape trio will deliver about 35/31 (FWD) and 30/28 (AWD) mpg

The Fusion duo should get about 2 mpg better so let's say 37/33 (FWD) and 32/30 (AWD)

(compare to Camry;s 33/34 (FWD))

Next Year (2009) or the year after, Ford is supposed to begin a rollout of the V6 Hybrid - 3.5l Cyclone V6 mated to a full hybrid system. This system was assumed dead for a while, but then some reports claimed it was resurrected. Ford has never commented on it. This system would make it to the Taurus, Edge, and Flex.

Igor

Those are Camry Hybrid numbers right? If so, that's impressive. The Camry has a slight (1 mpg) advantage for hwy mileage, but Fusion has a 4 mpg(!!) advantage for city mileage. Good work Ford!!

How much you wanna bet no media outlet will tout that it's higher than Camry's mileage?

What kind of improved mileage figures could we expect from an Edge/MKX hybrid? Taurus hybrid?

There has been no official anouncement that I know of. Ford has hoped to debut a hybrid Edge for a while, but there is nothing announced as official. This 2006 article was followed by some bragging by someone in Canada in 2007 about the Edge's hybrid which was more or less dismissed by Ford. Perhaps privately there are plans, but there are no confirmed public plans at this point.

That said, the V6 hybrid program was supposedly resurrected in 2007. And there have been insinuations that the Flex might get a hybrid, so I would assume the Edge is on the list as well.

As for the 3.5's figures, I would bet it would run on a slightly more efficient tune with the hybrid powertrain - maybe 230-240 hp.

Do we know if Ford went out-of-house and got GM's two-mode as had been proposed or if it stayed in-house?

Edited by focus05

Those are Camry Hybrid numbers right? If so, that's impressive. The Camry has a slight (1 mpg) advantage for hwy mileage, but Fusion has a 4 mpg(!!) advantage for city mileage. Good work Ford!!

How much you wanna bet no media outlet will tout that it's higher than Camry's mileage?

What kind of improved mileage figures could we expect from an Edge/MKX hybrid? Taurus hybrid?

You might want to wait until the car actually exists before making assumptions..