Lutz reveals a 4 door Elcamino for GMC

Mark B. Morrow

Actually this.

image003.jpg

Looked more like this

2005_Pontiac_GrandPrix_ext_1.jpg

and yes that was the problem. A problem that I already pointed out, try and keep up.

However I'm not aware of any GMC's in the last 10 years that look like an El Camino?

It looks good to me. It's a fine looking car / truck (whatever). I'd buy one. You simply don't like it and that's ok, but that doesn't mean there's something wrong with it.

Did no one read the article?

"The concept debuting in Detroit will be wearing very masculine GMC styling cues, however, and sounds as if it will be billed as a unibody pickup."

-and-

"click above for more high-res pics of the 2003 Holden Crewman"

-and-

"...the obvious upside that if the GMC four-door ute is popular with the public, it can be sold in Australia as Holden's replacement for the Crewman, which wasn't updated along with the rest of the Ute lineup last year."

So, the pictured vehicle ISN'T what is going to be shown in NY. It's simply the last generation model sold in Australia. If GM is serious about bringing this over it'll probably look much different than the pictured vehicle.

Also, the GMC brand is a great home for this model - it will get more attention and more credibility sharing space with the Sierra than sharing space with the HHR. And anyway, is this any "less" of a GMC than the Acadia, the best-selling version of GM's Lambda platform?

And finally - there is a very good reason that GM is showing this:

"...since GM knows that demand for trucks in the future has to be satisfied with vehicles that are more fuel efficient than body-on-frame trucks. A recent spate of unibody truck concepts...show that automakers are very interested in switching to lighter unibody platforms for vehicles that have traditionally been truck-based."

CAFE standards, pure and simple. If this little car/truck means GM can build more Silverados than it's a very, very smart move.

Scott

Well that's where it goes entirely against GMC's reputation. Chevy doesn't have a particular image to remain faithful to. They sell all different types of vehicles. GMC is known for selling TRUCKS. This thing isn't a truck and people aren't going to think of GMC when looking for this type of vehicle (not that I think many people would be looking for this type of vehicle anyway).

name.jpg

caballero.jpg

Remember the Caballero? It didn't seem to hurt GMC's reputation. I don't think this thing would hurt it anymore than the Arcadia will. Due to GMC's lower volume then Chevy, they can afford to bring fewer over and hold out for higher prices. If it doesn't work, then they can let it fade away and nobody will ever remember, like you not remembering the Caballero...

My thoughts on the matter:

For starters, a 4-door version for this vehicle is an absolute requirement. Nobody is going to buy a 2-seater one of these in any meaningful volume.

I agree. A 4 door would be the only model that would survive, even though there may be a small niche for a 2 door.

In the short term, I believe only a 4 door should be offered, and if it succeeds, maybe down the road, produce a 2 door, maybe even badging it an El Camino and giving it to Chevy.

Edited by rmc523

Well it's not that, since it's being discontinued and is ugly.

Which has nothing to do with the questions. Is it north American styling.

The Solara is a 2008 model and yes I know it's being discontinued. But then so is the Crown Vic. Does that mean the Crown Vic is not American styling too?

Hey the Ranger is on the chopping block too. Is it because it's not American styling?

No obviously they are being discontinued because people aren't buying enough of them. Which brings us back to my original point. There's just what people like and what they don't like, period.

American tastes? What's that? Sorry Dean, I don't and never will subscribe to the "All Americans have the same taste in cars." theory. If that were true you wouldn't have a market that sells both the VW Bug and the Charger. It's just not reality. The previous GTO bombed because they made it look like a doggon Grand Prix only with a much larger price tag. It looked like anything but a GTO. That's why it failed.

seems to be two trins of thought....dismal examples...Contour, Merkur, GTO.....( which was actually based on the Aussie Commodore ).......situation seems to be correcting itself, but not many vehicles ( any? ) have translated into success's......and for what it is worth, i dont think too many American designs have me salivating either....bring on Citroen...LOL!

call me silly, but I think they are on the right track here...if the platform is shared, costs are probably not too devastating if it flops- but if it flops or not will depend mostly on the styling- if it looks like the old holden, it looks like a lumina with the rear chopped up- if it even remotely resembles a early elcamino it just may have a chance. Gas is going to get so high soon a lot of the light truck market will evaporate- tradesmen/shoptucks, no they need a BOF truck, and dont care as much about fuel costs as the neighbor that hauls some landscaping stuff once or twice a year but still 'needs a truck'.

I really think station wagons(of a different name) will return as a common car soon, if they do it right, make a removeable rear roof for occasional hauling, you'd have what they have here- as a very low cost to produce option on a station wagon chassis. add self levelling air springs, decent load rated underpinnings, it might become the 'next SUV' type craze. I wont be in line for one (I had a elcamino back in highschool) but I think the market will start leaning far more that way than to fullsized pickups- and a lot of folks still feel safer in a bigger car- keep it wide/roomy enough to feel crown vic sized(ranchero based on tired old crown vic???) and keep the mileage good(at least with base engine) it could be a good alternative to whats out there.

I think Ford is going to need to play catch up first with the GM hybrid tranny- a easy hybrid retrofit to many current models might be a smart tooling investment.

call me silly, but I think they are on the right track here...if the platform is shared, costs are probably not too devastating if it flops- but if it flops or not will depend mostly on the styling- if it looks like the old holden, it looks like a lumina with the rear chopped up- if it even remotely resembles a early elcamino it just may have a chance. Gas is going to get so high soon a lot of the light truck market will evaporate- tradesmen/shoptucks, no they need a BOF truck, and dont care as much about fuel costs as the neighbor that hauls some landscaping stuff once or twice a year but still 'needs a truck'.

I really think station wagons(of a different name) will return as a common car soon, if they do it right, make a removeable rear roof for occasional hauling, you'd have what they have here- as a very low cost to produce option on a station wagon chassis. add self levelling air springs, decent load rated underpinnings, it might become the 'next SUV' type craze. I wont be in line for one (I had a elcamino back in highschool) but I think the market will start leaning far more that way than to fullsized pickups- and a lot of folks still feel safer in a bigger car- keep it wide/roomy enough to feel crown vic sized(ranchero based on tired old crown vic???) and keep the mileage good(at least with base engine) it could be a good alternative to whats out there.

I think Ford is going to need to play catch up first with the GM hybrid tranny- a easy hybrid retrofit to many current models might be a smart tooling investment.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't GM's hybrid a mild hybrid system, while Ford's is a full hybrid system? Unless you're referring to the Volt which in that case Ford would be behind, but as far as a more thorough hybrid lineup, I believe Ford has the advantage there. Also, Ford has more hybrid models coming out within the next year or two, adding to that advantage.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't GM's hybrid a mild hybrid system, while Ford's is a full hybrid system? Unless you're referring to the Volt which in that case Ford would be behind, but as far as a more thorough hybrid lineup, I believe Ford has the advantage there. Also, Ford has more hybrid models coming out within the next year or two, adding to that advantage.

GM's mild hybrids are a joke and just for the marketing, But I think you are forgetting that they have the two mode hybrid now............that is a big step above what Ford can currently offer customers.

GM's mild hybrids are a joke and just for the marketing, But I think you are forgetting that they have the two mode hybrid now............that is a big step above what Ford can currently offer customers.

Hopefully if the Hydraulic Hybrid is still in development, it will be able to out-do GM's Two-Mode Hybrid when it debuts.