Did Lincoln inadvertently re-introduce the SUV "coupe"?

I was watching my screensaver, and the Lincoln Navicross concept of a few years ago came up. I then thought about how BMW debuted the X6 and LR is developing a model.

My question to you is do you think Lincoln may have pioneered the re-introduction of the SUV "coupe"? I say re-introduction because didn't AMC or somebody have a similar type vehicle years ago?

1.1024.jpg

lincoln_2003-Navicross_Concept-001_1.jpg

2.1024.jpg

3.1024.jpg

I was watching my screensaver, and the Lincoln Navicross concept of a few years ago came up. I then thought about how BMW debuted the X6 and LR is developing a model.

My question to you is do you think Lincoln may have pioneered the re-introduction of the SUV "coupe"? I say re-introduction because didn't AMC or somebody have a similar type vehicle years ago?

This show car represented a vehicle that was to be the stablemate of a new Lincoln LS. It's not so far away from the actual vehicle that could have been produced (the rear doors probably wouldn't have made it). But Lincoln and the new LS program imploded. Thanks for posting the pictures; I think it still looks pretty good. But of course, you'd have to add the wave grille now....

I agree with you that, in concept, this type of vehicle is similar in nature to the new X6. And also the Infinity FX35/45 I think.

I had a look at the X6 at the Detroit auto show. I guess I just don't get it. If you try to get into the rear seat, the sloping roof hits you in your face (and I'm not very tall). So you have to actually bend your neck down a lot and lean forward to get in or risk decapitation. And I personally don't like the overall styling and stance. Bloody useless auto in my opinion.

Funny you mention AMC. I said to my friend "this reminds me of an AMC Eagle."

This show car represented a vehicle that was to be the stablemate of a new Lincoln LS. It's not so far away from the actual vehicle that could have been produced (the rear doors probably wouldn't have made it). But Lincoln and the new LS program imploded. Thanks for posting the pictures; I think it still looks pretty good. But of course, you'd have to add the wave grille now....

I agree with you that, in concept, this type of vehicle is similar in nature to the new X6. And also the Infinity FX35/45 I think.

I had a look at the X6 at the Detroit auto show. I guess I just don't get it. If you try to get into the rear seat, the sloping roof hits you in your face (and I'm not very tall). So you have to actually bend your neck down a lot and lean forward to get in or risk decapitation. And I personally don't like the overall styling and stance. Bloody useless auto in my opinion.

Yeah... as far as I understand, the Navicross was supposed to be another piece of the DEW98 puzzle... small Lincoln sedan, Lincoln LS, Lincoln Navicross, and Lincoln Continental flagship, and the styling previewed a cancelled redesigned Lincoln LS. Even after DEW98 blew up, there was a plan in place to build direct replacements for the Lincoln LS and Ford Thunderbird on a flexible version of S197, but that never panned out either.

I REALLY like the X6. I have the MKX and it's sharp, but I would prefer to have something similar to an X6 which isn't quite as much of a grocery getter but still tall and spacious.

I am a tall, long-legged guy but I found the X6 to be much roomier than any of the BMW sedans.

Edited by BORG

Yeah, too bad it didn't...

Not everybody wants to buy a three box sedan! The only way a tall vehicle looks decent is if they make them look less like a sedan and more like an SUV (witness mis-proportioned Taurus). But who says a tall vehicle needs to look like a station wagon on stilts?

With the MKX, I've learned the virtues of sitting taller on the road and I'm not going back down there! :)

Edited by BORG

I too think that it still looks good.

I'm undecided on the X6, I would like to see it in person to make a better decision. From pictures, I like the concept (idea) of an SUV with a coupe type look, but I'm not sure if I like BMW's take on it. I think BMW is trying to overstyle their cars. To me, there's almost too much going on with the X6. I think the current 3 series (coupe and convertible, not necessarily the sedan) represents the best of Bangle's design theme. I do like the looks of the CS concept, though.

Not everybody wants to buy a three box sedan! The only way a tall vehicle looks decent is if they make them look less like a sedan and more like an SUV (witness mis-proportioned Taurus). But who says a tall vehicle needs to look like a station wagon on stilts?

With the MKX, I've learned the virtues of sitting taller on the road and I'm not going back down there! :)

So, how is the MKX ownership experience?

Yes, I should ask you, being an MKX owner, do you like it?

Edited by rmc523

Yeah... as far as I understand, the Navicross was supposed to be another piece of the DEW98 puzzle... small Lincoln sedan, Lincoln LS, Lincoln Navicross, and Lincoln Continental flagship, and the styling previewed a cancelled redesigned Lincoln LS. Even after DEW98 blew up, there was a plan in place to build direct replacements for the Lincoln LS and Ford Thunderbird on a flexible version of S197, but that never panned out either.

That would've made a good looking LS replacement, IMO.

I guess I just don't understand why these two things need to be combined. Coupes are supposed to be sleek and low-slung and sexy. SUVs are tall, boxy and butch. They just don't go together. Every time I see the X6, I see a 3-Series sedan that's been stretched like an accordion and then stepped on by Godzilla's little brother in the back. Terrible!

Yes, I should ask you, being an MKX owner, do you like it?

I LOVE my MKX. Absolutely trouble free, beautiful to drive and throw about, and very attractive inside and out! This and the MKZ have never required a visit to the dealership to resolve problems (although I don't really love the MKZ as much). That is the first time in my entire Lincoln ownership experience, extending to the parents as I was growing up, that a Lincoln didn't need to revisit the dealership for problems early after purchase. (Edit: Actually, the MKZ had to go back because of a scuff on the dashboard which may or may not have been manufacturer related).

The great thing about the MKX is that it's fun in all seasons. You have the vista roof for spring/summer, and AWD for winter :) I couldn't be happier, but a little more off-the-line grunt would be appreciated.

I'm thinking about going for an X6, but I doubt a healthier Lincoln will let me flea ;) The MKZ is due in December so the search resumes for the next ride ;). It might be an MKS, but I'm not so sure about the dollars and cents. The MKX was considerably more expensive than the car it replaced (Lincoln LS), and my budget may not allow for that much Lincoln goodness, I may stay with an MKZ assuming its new by September (early lease termination is likely).

Edited by BORG

I LOVE my MKX. Absolutely trouble free, beautiful to drive and throw about, and very attractive inside and out! This and the MKZ have never required a visit to the dealership to resolve problems (although I don't really love the MKZ as much). That is the first time in my entire Lincoln ownership experience, extending to the parents as I was growing up, that a Lincoln didn't need to revisit the dealership for problems early after purchase. (Edit: Actually, the MKZ had to go back because of a scuff on the dashboard which may or may not have been manufacturer related).

The great thing about the MKX is that it's fun in all seasons. You have the vista roof for spring/summer, and AWD for winter :) I couldn't be happier, but a little more off-the-line grunt would be appreciated.

I'm thinking about going for an X6, but I doubt a healthier Lincoln will let me flea ;) The MKZ is due in December so the search resumes for the next ride ;). It might be an MKS, but I'm not so sure about the dollars and cents. The MKX was considerably more expensive than the car it replaced (Lincoln LS), and my budget may not allow for that much Lincoln goodness, I may stay with an MKZ assuming its new by September (early lease termination is likely).

09mkz.jpg

Well, there's renderings of the new MKZ.

You mentioned an MKS might be out of your price range, then I'd assume an X6 would be out as well, they're estimated to start at $60,000 for the X6 Xdrive 35i.

09mkz.jpg

Well, there's renderings of the new MKZ.

You mentioned an MKS might be out of your price range, then I'd assume an X6 would be out as well, they're estimated to start at $60,000 for the X6 Xdrive 35i.

The X6 is a pipe dream unless I get rid of both Lincolns ;)

The MKS starts in my price range but goes well above $44K.

One question, If Ford knows the public wants suicide doors and they add them to their concepts why are they not available on any of our vehicles?

Concept cars need not be confined by the realities of engineering parameters and cost effeciencies.

Re: AMC--

You're likely thinking of the AMC Eagle, a raised tough wagon. I think the AMC Eagle is mighty awesome myself.

You may also be thinking of the AMC Concord.

I think it's the Eagle I was thinking of, it was brought up in another topic about the X6, I believe.