Is Hyundai a threat?

CivicDuty2007

Read it in a magazine that Honda's CEO thinks that Hyundai is a real threat...

They sure have made some huge strides up through the years compared to what they had years ago.....(Pony?..... :beatdeadhorse: , Stellar....... :huh: , and Excel........ :fan: ).

Now their vehicles are pretty much tops........they just need to persuade some people out there though.

Myself, I'd consider one...........Dad has a 2001 Elantra and hardly had any problems......155 000 miles so far, and just the normal stuff like brakes and tires were addressed. Lookin at a 2008 now.

Read it in a magazine that Honda's CEO thinks that Hyundai is a real threat...

They sure have made some huge strides up through the years compared to what they had years ago.....(Pony?..... :beatdeadhorse: , Stellar....... :huh: , and Excel........ :fan: ).

Now their vehicles are pretty much tops........they just need to persuade some people out there though.

Myself, I'd consider one...........Dad has a 2001 Elantra and hardly had any problems......155 000 miles so far, and just the normal stuff like brakes and tires were addressed. Lookin at a 2008 now.

My wife and I had a different experience with a Tiburon. Suffice it to say, it's highly improbable we'll be shopping Hyundai any time soon.

My mom has a Santa Fee (sp?) Anyway its a pretty nice SUV, I would have rather them have gotten an Escape, but the Santa Fee was less expensive with more features..so that sealed te deal for them. Haven't really had any problems with it, except check engine light and something with engine that was fixed under warrenty.

It was a 2000. Numerous electrical and mechanical problems. It stranded my wife several times. Dealer service sucked.

Note this nearly four year old article (May 2004) that details how Hyundai decided to invest in quality about the time you bought your lemon.

With an additional four years of development, and releases of increasing desirable vehicles (aka: Genesis), I think this article was on the mark, AND the guy from Honda is correct.

-Ovaltine

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/conte...20/b3883054.htm

MAY 17, 2004

Hyundai: Kissing Clunkers Goodbye

A five-year focus on quality has sent customer satisfaction soaring

When Hyundai Motor Co. Chairman Chung Mong Koo said his company could increase the quality of its cars to "Toyota levels" five years ago, few took him seriously. After all, Hyundai was the butt of talk-show jokes and a target of industry disdain for tinny cars that were about as reliable as a go-kart. So when J.D. Power & Associates Inc. on Apr. 28 said the Korean carmaker had virtually caught up with Toyota in terms of quality, jaws dropped from Detroit to Tokyo. "We still have a long way to go," says Suh Byung Kee, the senior executive vice-president heading Hyundai's quality-control team. "But we have completed the first phase of our task."

The second phase could well be tougher. The eye-opening survey measured initial quality -- the number of complaints customers had in the first 90 days of ownership. Hyundai owners reported just 102 problems per 100 cars sold -- earning a tie with Honda as the second-best carmaker on the list and falling just below Toyota's tally of 101. And its Sonata sedan was the top-ranked car in the "entry mid-sized" category.

A TEAM WITH TEETH. Hyundai's focus on quality comes straight from the top. Since 1999, Chairman Chung has boosted the quality team to 865 workers from 100, and virtually all employees have had to attend special seminars on improving Hyundai's cars. Chung presides over twice-monthly quality meetings in a special conference room and an adjacent workshop, with vehicle lifts and high-intensity spotlights for comparing Hyundais head-to-head with rivals. And this team has teeth: In the past year, the introduction of three new models was delayed by months as engineers scrambled to boost quality in response to problems found by the team.

The focus is on the details. In 1998, for instance, customers reported faulty warning lights and difficulty starting engines. So Chung set up a $30 million computer center where 71 engineers simulate harsh conditions to test electronics and pinpoint defects. The result: In Power's 2004 initial quality survey, Hyundai had only 9.6 problems in these areas per 100 vehicles, vs. an industry average of 13.8. Three years ago Hyundai had 23.4 problems, vs. the industry's 17.9. "This is not a shotgun approach," says Robert Cosmai, president of the company's U.S. affiliate, Hyundai Motor America.

My sister and her husband each had trouble free Hyundai's a few years ago. They traded one in on a Explorer Sport Trac and the other on an Excursion. Today, they still have the 00 Excursion (limited use family car) and they've added an 05 Mini Cooper Vert (her daily driver) & an 05 Mustang GT (his daily driver) to their driveway. Why? They viewed their Hyundai's as starter cars, and now that they are older, they would never consider Hyundai or Kia...

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: This is the same response from former Ford owners of 80's, 90's and some 2k+ vehicles, when they hear about Fords stride in quality etc... As they take offin their SWEET Corolla S ...

And that's fine. If they had as bad an experience as we had with our Tib, I don't blame them.

I don't know what the market share is for Hyundai (and Kia) but it has had to erode some of Toyota's numbers. My son had a 2001 Accent. He put 10,000 miles on it in 10 months. It ran flawlessly until an E250 broadsided him coming out of a Turkey Hill Mini-Market, totalling the car. My son walked away unscathed and the car protected him as it was buckled midway in the roof. He now drives a Kia Spectra and hammers it often without any problems. That's his choice and he believes in the product. Anyone can have trouble with any brand. My brother hates any Ford and any Chrysler and likes Chevy trucks. He drives a Nissan pick up and would by a new Honda if he were in the market due to past experiences with those cars. He hates my PTC because he says Chrysler cars have the worst seats. His opinon and that's okay by me. Hyundai will improve over time and I suspect their prices will creep up as they always do. If the product evoltuion warrants the cost, people will buy them. I hope lower priced alterantives remain available from any manufacturer because they are needed. Units like the Kia Rondo are very useful and cheap and have that long warranty. No one in this country builds such a unit. Too bad. Hyundai/Kia will continue to impact U.S. sales because they are offering thoughtful alternatives.

Anyone can have trouble with any brand.

That's correct. My experience with Ford has been overwhelmingly positive (which is why I'm here). IBut don't fault anyone for shying away from any brand (even Ford) in which they've had a bad experience. By the same token, I don't appreciate anyone telling me I'm wrong for the same reason. I'll spend my money however I prefer.

Edited by TomServo92

That's correct. My experience with Ford has been overwhelmingly positive (which is why I'm here). IBut don't fault anyone for shying away from any brand (even Ford) in which they've had a bad experience. By the same token, I don't appreciate anyone telling me I'm wrong for the same reason. I'll spend my money however I prefer.

That is your right to do so! My last Ford was a Contour! I fell for the size and handling. But it fell apart as I went down the road. If Ford had a small utility like the PTC I'd have bought it.

Edited by 156n3rd

That is your right to do so! My last Ford was a Contour! I fell for the size and handling. But it fell apart as I went down the road. If Ford had a small utility like the PTC I'd have bought it.

My second worst car was a 1981 Buick (do I really have to go into detail or is it self-explanatory? :hysterical: ) The third worst was an Acura Integra. I took it in twice for cam seal leaks, twice for electrical problems, and when I traded it in, the tranny was shifting funny. While it gave me some issues, it wasn't so bad that I wouldn't consider a Honda/Acura (except of course that they're all damn ugly now). Most of my Fords have been trouble free and never saw the dealership again after I bought them. A couple had minor issues that were easily resolved.

Hyundai and magazines that 'own' them for 3 or 4 days can talk all they want, as of right now they are still(along with Kia) the vehicle of choice for second-chance-financing customers.

They wouldn't have to be if American companies could do it better than they do. Why can't they?

My second worst car was a 1981 Buick (do I really have to go into detail or is it self-explanatory? :hysterical: ) The third worst was an Acura Integra. I took it in twice for cam seal leaks, twice for electrical problems, and when I traded it in, the tranny was shifting funny. While it gave me some issues, it wasn't so bad that I wouldn't consider a Honda/Acura (except of course that they're all damn ugly now). Most of my Fords have been trouble free and never saw the dealership again after I bought them. A couple had minor issues that were easily resolved.

No you don't have to explain, but lemme tell youse about my '76 Buick Century Special. 4 carburators and the damn V-6 still ran like shit. The heater motor was so loud, you could hear it running from inside the house. The engine vibrated like a motel bed. It was a perfect example of '70's GM junk. I can't pick a worst car of all that I've owned because I had many clunkers over the years. I guess the worst perofrming car I owned was a 1981 Pontiac Phoenix with the ol' Iron Duke 4. 'Nuff said. :gang: :shrug: :rant:

Hyundai and magazines that 'own' them for 3 or 4 days can talk all they want, as of right now they are still(along with Kia) the vehicle of choice for second-chance-financing customers.

You know in many parts of the country, that's what people think of domestic vehicle owners? I myself, do not care what brand your car is.

Do you always judge people by brand name?

I've got a 800+ FICO, home free and clear, no CC debt and quite a nice paycheck 26 times a year. I own a Hyundai and bought my wife one as well. Its called being practical for some. Not everyone wants to waste money on something that goes down in value as automobiles do. Read "The Millionaire Next Door", not everyone buys a vehicle because of the emblem on the hood (or to influence what people think about them) and not everyone who buys a inexpensive car is "second-chance financing". I could not care what brand I buy, as long as it gives me value and reliability. I do have a penchant for Ford and Chryslers, but if they don't give me what I am looking for (which they did not at the time)...off to the dealer down the road.

If Ford (or Chrysler or GM or whoever, etc...) had something I wanted and cost what I wanted to pay at that time, I may have purchased from them (a Fusion would have fit the bill if it was around then). Do I care if my neighbors think I have crappy credit because I drive a Hyundai? Nope, let them drive half of their paychecks around while I invest my money in more sensible things that actually earn me a return. I lust after Challengers and Mustangs, but most likely will not buy one anytime soon as they don't fit my family's needs. (Hey, at least I'm honest). ;)

Will my next vehicles be Hyundais? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on what's around when they have bit the dust.

BTW, I've owned them for 3 and 4 years now (30K miles and 75K miles) and still have only performed maintenance items...no trips to the dealer at all as nothing has gone wrong with either of them. So I don't intend on buying for quite a while.

I do have a V8 conversion Fiero lying around in the garage though. :)

Edited by Intrepidatious

I do have a V8 conversion Fiero lying around in the garage though. :)

At least there's hope. "The millionaire next door" needs to remember that life is short and he can't take it with him. I get much more pleasure out of driving my red T-Bird on a sunny day than I ever could out of counting my beans - no matter how high the pile gets. But to each his own.

As for Hyundai, the Koreans are perfectly capable of building perfectly capable cars, and it is no surprise that they are starting to. I am also seeing Samsung crowding out Sony and Panasonic at the appliance store, and LG going after the major appliance market with some very solid products. That's one area the Japanese, for whatever reason, never took a serious stab at.

I also believe the Chinese will be coming along soon. They will hit the "2nd chance financing" (to borrow Kevinb120's terminology) end of the market first - just like Toyota did in its day, then Hyundai - but they will make inroads soon enough. As long as they have a cost advantage and a secure home market to build from. Why don't we have a secure home market for our manufacturers anyway? Why do we, among all nations, feel that's not important?

At least there's hope. "The millionaire next door" needs to remember that life is short and he can't take it with him. I get much more pleasure out of driving my red T-Bird on a sunny day than I ever could out of counting my beans - no matter how high the pile gets. But to each his own.

As cheesy as it sounds (and flame away non-parents), I get just as much fun from my 16 month old.

Of course, I didn't say I put every penny into a sock...we have toys, but we do not spend what we do not have either. We live a practical life and a very happy one at that. :)

You know in many parts of the country, that's what people think of domestic vehicle owners? I myself, do not care what brand your car is.

Do you always judge people by brand name?

I've got a 800+ FICO, home free and clear, no CC debt and quite a nice paycheck 26 times a year. I own a Hyundai and bought my wife one as well. Its called being practical for some. Not everyone wants to waste money on something that goes down in value as automobiles do. Read "The Millionaire Next Door", not everyone buys a vehicle because of the emblem on the hood (or to influence what people think about them) and not everyone who buys a inexpensive car is "second-chance financing". I could not care what brand I buy, as long as it gives me value and reliability. I do have a penchant for Ford and Chryslers, but if they don't give me what I am looking for (which they did not at the time)...off to the dealer down the road.

If Ford (or Chrysler or GM or whoever, etc...) had something I wanted and cost what I wanted to pay at that time, I may have purchased from them (a Fusion would have fit the bill if it was around then). Do I care if my neighbors think I have crappy credit because I drive a Hyundai? Nope, let them drive half of their paychecks around while I invest my money in more sensible things that actually earn me a return. I lust after Challengers and Mustangs, but most likely will not buy one anytime soon as they don't fit my family's needs. (Hey, at least I'm honest). ;)

Will my next vehicles be Hyundais? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on what's around when they have bit the dust.

BTW, I've owned them for 3 and 4 years now (30K miles and 75K miles) and still have only performed maintenance items...no trips to the dealer at all as nothing has gone wrong with either of them. So I don't intend on buying for quite a while.

I totally agree with you 100% Intrepidatious.

I have a household income of over $100k, I owe less than $70k on a home valued at $260k, I own 10 acres of paid for prime Northern Michigan real estate, and my wife and I have over $400k saved in future retirement assets.

My daily driver? A 2004.5 Kia Spectra.

KevinB's point is well taken, and at one point was probably fairly accurate. But..... the tide is changing, and more and more solidly middle class people are looking at Suzuki's, Kia's, Hyundai's, etc. due to the combination of value and as of late, quality.

For example..... a PharmD working in the management of the hospital I work at has leased a Kia Sorento for the past 3 years, and has loved it. Do you know what pharmacists make these days? WELL into the six figures!

So..... claim all you want that only bottom-feeders are buying these makes..... it doesn't make it completely true. And with the pipeline of product I see coming from H/K, I believe more and more financially secure people will be taking second looks at their vehicles.

Just for the record..... when this same pharmacist recently came to me asking about what I recommended for a midsize car that gets good mileage, I told him about the Fusion, and all of the good feedback I've heard from 2 of my co-workers AND that I've read on here. Sure enough... he went and test drove an I4 version, and took it home!

So chalk at least ONE FoMoCo vehicle going out the door to good 'ole Ovaltine! :lol:

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine