Scion Sales Fall for 16 Straight Months

range

Scion hits a wall

Toyota's perky youth brand is adding dealers but losing sales as 2nd-generation models struggle

Mark Rechtin

Automotive News

March 3, 2008

Even with new vehicles including the xD hatchback, shown, and the redesigned xB, Scion’s sales are struggling.

LOS ANGELES — Toyota's cool, quirky Scion youth brand may still be hip but is no longer hot.

Sales, year-on-year, have dropped for 16 straight months. Since August, monthly sales have declined from each previous month, even though dealers have had two redesigned models in their showrooms during that period.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Scion hits a wall

Toyota's perky youth brand is adding dealers but losing sales as 2nd-generation models struggle

Mark Rechtin

Automotive News

March 3, 2008

Even with new vehicles including the xD hatchback, shown, and the redesigned xB, Scion’s sales are struggling.

LOS ANGELES — Toyota's cool, quirky Scion youth brand may still be hip but is no longer hot.

Sales, year-on-year, have dropped for 16 straight months. Since August, monthly sales have declined from each previous month, even though dealers have had two redesigned models in their showrooms during that period.

Aftermarket otions can only carry you so far, it is better if they are on a vehicle people accually want to drive without them. With Farley at Ford now watch as their spiral continues!

Edited by Furious1Auto

I still haven't figured out why there is a Scion AND a Yaris brand.

The new XB is so ugly, first gen XBers don't even like it.

I love how Toyota can base a cazillion vehicles off there small car platform but if a domestic does it off of one of theirs it's "badge engineering". :blink:

Edited by Armada Master

The brand lost its way. The new xB is over weight and lost a lot of its quirkiness and the tC is just flat out getting old.

There display at the Cleveland auto show was also the same old, same old. Only this year they weren't giving away the cool winter hats or even the Scion key chains, and had no one selling the product. Instead they handed out breath mints, I guess there cusomters must suffer from dragon breath! Oh yeah there was no new offerings in there product, same product and same options list as last year!

Edited by Furious1Auto

There display at the Cleveland auto show was also the same old, same old. Only this year they weren't giving away the cool winter hats or even the Scion key chains, and had no one selling the product. Instead they handed out breath mints, I guess there cusomters must suffer from dragon breath! Oh yeah there was no new offerings in there product, same product and same options list as last year!

Yeah, I remember one year at NAIAS they were giving out iPod socks.

The Flex looks nothing like an xB. Of course, you're a Panther fan, which means you're old and half blind, so we can forgive you out of respect for our elders.

:hysterical:

So...a box from Toyota looks like a box to you...but a box from Ford looks nothing like a box from Toyota?

And I am the blind one???

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

So...a box from Toyota looks like a box to you...but a box from Ford looks nothing like a box from Toyota?

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Ford's boxes come with more appealing options, and have better than 105 HP! Simply we Americans build better boxes! :hysterical:

Edited by Furious1Auto

i have to agree.....why Ford put money into the Flex rather than a very good sedan is beyond me

how many wagons do you see on the road?

although i would like to see the performance for the EcoBoost AWD version

all im saying is that it better sell or people are never going to let this go....

2008_scion_xb_gold-thumb.jpg

ny_08_ford_flex.jpg

Look quite different to me.

and appeal to TOTALLY different demographics and markets...curious, Ford has had NOTHING in this market basically since the failed MISERABLE damn awful Windstar,,, and now they attack the market with something fresh and of a different take and all we get is bitching?????? Total the combined Sienna, Nissan and Honda minivan market and there is a HUGE potential for conquest sales....but to a few here i guess they should have just left well enough alone huh?

and appeal to TOTALLY different demographics and markets...curious, Ford has had NOTHING in this market basically since the failed MISERABLE damn awful Windstar,,, and now they attack the market with something fresh and of a different take and all we get is bitching?????? Total the combined Sienna, Nissan and Honda minivan market and there is a HUGE potential for conquest sales....but to a few here i guess they should have just left well enough alone huh?

Yes, the old "if I don't like it, no one will," that so many seem to subscribe to here.

Yes, the old "if I don't like it, no one will," that so many seem to subscribe to here.

and ironically usually a handful of the SAME people leading the way whilst :cheerleader: every other manufacturers efforts as TOTALLY worthwhile....oh yeah...bring on the $40000, diesel ranger...THAT would sell like hotcakes...especially at more $ than an F-150 Supercrew.....sheesh!