The Ranger is Dead – Long Live the Ranger (www.autosavant.net)

igor

My gut tells me we will see the international ranger here sooner or after the F100 bombs.

Well, I wouldn't predict an F100-type truck bombing. It would probably sell pretty well - at the sacrifice of F-150 sales most likely. But that doesn't mean there isn't a need for a smaller pickup as well.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do know that the I4 Truck market is just for show right? Sure some businesses buy them as parts runners, but that is it - VAST majority of the trucks sold are V6 - if Ford can muster good FE from the F100 V6 it will do just fine.

And the Thai Ranger does not have ANY I4 in it - only a V6 diesel.

as usual CAFE and consumer demand are MILES apart.

Igor

the Thai Ranger should be using the same 2.4l I4 TDI used in Europe.

thats beside the point we are abandoning the market.

our 2.3 only makes 143hp, our Vulcan V6 only makes 154hp/180ft/lbs.

Why not put the new 2.5 170hp and boost the torque to 160ft/lbs.

and Equal or better the economy of the current 2.3. having spent time in a 2.3 5spd it is not underpowered its slow but can definitely get out of it's own way.

We have to determine if the ranger problem is it's size or it's age? I think its it age, it needs to be larger but the foot print needs to be the same.

I also could not rule out a Transit connect based Pickup.

Add me to the list of those who dont want a big ranger. Tacoma size maybe but no larger. I want fuel economy and a base cheap truck that is nearly indestructable like they make now. I think going too big would be a huge mistake. I really like the idea of the global ranger and for some reason the name f100 does not cut it with me. Ranger sounds much much better.

You do know that the I4 Truck market is just for show right? Sure some businesses buy them as parts runners, but that is it - VAST majority of the trucks sold are V6 - if Ford can muster good FE from the F100 V6 it will do just fine.

And the Thai Ranger does not have ANY I4 in it - only a V6 diesel.

as usual CAFE and consumer demand are MILES apart.

Igor

The Thai Ranger has the two Duratorq engines 2.5 I-4 and 3.0 I-4

• 3 weeks later...

The latest info points to both the F100 and the ranger replacement being produced.

The F100 is to be built on a flexible F150 production line. It should be almost the same size as the current Sportrak. 3.7 V6 Eco-boost Turbo and 5.0 V8 possibly with DoD.

The 2011/2012 F150 ext cab 4x4 is targeting 5100lbs (down 500lbs from 2009 weight) gross weight with a 10K+ tow capacity. Unloaded look for EPA fuel milage of 20-21MPG highway with the 6.2ltr gasser and 24MPG highway with the 4.4ltr diesel, the 3.7ltr T should be around 21-22mpg highway, due to wieght.

The F100 is targeting 4500lbs gross weight in the same configuration with a 7K tow capacity Unloaded look for 21-22MPG highway with the 5.0ltr and 22MPG highway with the 3.7ltr

The fuel mileage of all the above configurations should be 4-6% higher after the powershift transmissions are in use, somewhere around 2015.

The Ranger replacement, is planned to be a replacement for the US ranger, the Thailand ranger and the Courior, One small truck for the whole world. We know it is going to be on the T6 chassis with a 4cyl pushed as primary motivation. Probably 2.5 ltr at first. My best guess is going to be 6 speed 180HP on initial release with fuel economy exceeding 29MPG, when equipped with a curb weight under 2900lbs in a 2x4 ext cab trim.

Given the direction Ford seems to be moving in I 'm thinking 2.5 I4 and Duratech 3.0 V6, later moving to the 2.0 T and the 2.5 T Eco-boost engines. But with Ford being so tight-lipped recently its hard to be certain.

Edited by Mackintire

• 2 years later...

This rumor didn't seem to work out, did it?

Igor's not known for any sort of accuracy in prognostication... An article of his on that same website predicted the Fusion would be launched 15 months earlier than it was, with 40mpg I4. Nothing but wishful thinking backed by plausible rationalizations - useful for exciting gullible optimists like myself.... though it only works once. Bad way to build a readership...

Igor's not known for any sort of accuracy in prognostication... An article of his on that same website predicted the Fusion would be launched 15 months earlier than it was, with 40mpg I4. Nothing but wishful thinking backed by plausible rationalizations - useful for exciting gullible optimists like myself.... though it only works once. Bad way to build a readership...

The F150 has zero chance of making the 2016 EPA requirements.

The T-6 will probably be brought here and labeled F100 when that happens. Considering its 90% of the size of the F150 and it can tow 7000lbs properly equipped, its the only choice Ford has available.